All Newton all the time

RichardBag

Well, you're probably right about the Auburn program - I am guilty of hyperbole there - but Newton's as guilty as they come regarding the rest of it.

He left Florida because he was about to be expelled, not because of Tebow. (If he stayed, wouldn't he he have been 'the guy' this season anyway?)

No one throws a laptop out their dorm window when the campus police come knocking unless they know it's a stolen laptop - he either stole it hmself, or certainly knew it was stolen.

Regarding the rest of the scandals...

Source: Newton left Florida after cheating scandal

Scandal offers no escape for Auburn or Cam Newton

We are all aware, and all agree, some stupid crap went down at Florida.

If this is your only reason for not drafting him, you have either never watched any of his games, or are the worst talent evaluator around. No major or violent crimes were committed. He purchased a stolen laptop. He got some traffic tickets. He might have been caught cheating.

With that last one, is the real crime that he got caught, because most of the people I know cheated their way through college at some point.

What is your point here? To prove he was a dumb 19 year old 3 years ago?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We are all aware, and all agree, some stupid crap went down at Florida.

If this is your only reason for not drafting him, you have either never watched any of his games, or are the worst talent evaluator around. No major or violent crimes were committed. He purchased a stolen laptop. He got some traffic tickets. He might have been caught cheating.

With that last one, is the real crime that he got caught, because most of the people I know cheated their way through college at some point.

What is your point here? To prove he was a dumb 19 year old 3 years ago?

This is the way I look at it Dank,

I'm not trying to say what Cam did in Florida was right, but one paper was given to Cam by a fellow classmate who was willing to sacrifice his own grade in an effort to help Cam and another was taken off the internet. This kind of thing happens all the time. Of course its not the right thing to do, but what If a the whole football program is depending on you and not just the football program, the college, sometimes the whole State, all depending on Cam Newton. Student athletes have a lot on their table, especially the QB of a football team. Cam Newton made mistakes and he learned from them. Its what we do in life, it builds character If lessons are learned and you become a better person for it in the long run. Again, I'm not saying by any means cheating is right because its not, but a lot more of the same goes on every day by many students who don't get caught so lets not get to carried away here.

As far as the stolen laptop goes, I've studied the case file from front to back and the case was botched up so badly by the detectives it would have literally been laughed out of court.

I was a HUGE Tebow fan from his freshman year, on. Even back then I thought "This is our next Jim Kelly" and prayed the Bills could land him last year more so than Ive ever wanted any previous prospect. To the point that I hoped the Bills had the #1 pick so they could pick Tebow #1 overall. That's how much I wanted him on this team.

That being said, I'd take Newton at #3 this year over Tebow in a heartbeat.

Edited by DrDankenstein

I was a HUGE Tebow fan from his freshman year, on. Even back then I thought "This is our next Jim Kelly" and prayed the Bills could land him last year more so than Ive ever wanted any previous prospect. To the point that I hoped the Bills had the #1 pick so they could pick Tebow #1 overall. That's how much I wanted him on this team.

That being said, I'd take Newton at #3 this year over Tebow in a heartbeat.

I feel much the same way.

I am of the "grab a franchise quarterback" camp. The only way we get out of the cellar is with a franchise qb. I like Fitz, but he will forever lead us to a .500 record. IMHO we can always grab a quality "____" (Fill in the blank with DL, OLB, ILB, LT, RT, etc, etc) in ANY draft. But at 3, if Nix/Chan believe Cam is the man, then I'm all in. If we still suck in 5 years, then no worries, we'll have the #3 pick again. It'll be like groundhog day.

I dont pin the actions of his scumbag father on him. That's on his father for trying to pimp out his son. Cam was trying to play football either way. If we're going to start holding kids responsible for their parent's behavior, that's a whole other discussion, and a ridiculous one at that.

This is the one thing that worries me though. Wont we have to deal with the father during contract negotiations? Is this the red flag we SHOULD be worried about?

You can feel it coming . . . Cam Newton #1 to the Carolina Panthers.

I'm calling it now.

Same time last year. Suh #1 to the Rams. QBs rise to the top.

Yup. Something tells me that we're not even going to have to worry about Buddy taking him. I was thinking that someone trades up to #2 and gets him though.

It would just make more sense, Buddy sitting in war room, huge smile on his face knowing the Broncos have Tebow and were unable to trade Orton because of the CBA, 38 seconds left, Goodell walks up to the podium, Buddy already submitting Cam's name hoping to break last years record time of the Spiller pick, and bam...Miami trades up to get him. Buddy then decides to take J.J. Watt, despite the fact Fairley, Dareus, and Bowers all are on the board (AJ Green the suprise #1). It is later revealed by Chris Mortensen, no less than 8 teams tried to trade up with the Bills but weren't quick enough. Ladies and gentlemen, your 2011 Bills draft.

This is the one thing that worries me though. Wont we have to deal with the father during contract negotiations? Is this the red flag we SHOULD be worried about?

I dont think so. Im not aware that his father is his agent. For most of this season, after the scandal hit, Cam kept Cecil away from games and out of the spotlight. I dont think, at this point as he is becoming his own man, he is going to let his father stick his nose in and screw things up.

Yup. Something tells me that we're not even going to have to worry about Buddy taking him. I was thinking that someone trades up to #2 and gets him though.

It would just make more sense, Buddy sitting in war room, huge smile on his face knowing the Broncos have Tebow and were unable to trade Orton because of the CBA, 38 seconds left, Goodell walks up to the podium, Buddy already submitting Cam's name hoping to break last years record time of the Spiller pick, and bam...Miami trades up to get him. Buddy then decides to take J.J. Watt, despite the fact Fairley, Dareus, and Bowers all are on the board (AJ Green the suprise #1). It is later revealed by Chris Mortensen, no less than 8 teams tried to trade up with the Bills but weren't quick enough. Ladies and gentlemen, your 2011 Bills draft.

As much as I hate "doom and gloom" posts, this one is a little too accurate to not appreciate. :thumbsup::sick:

You provide some great comedy in slagging every QB prospect. Need I remind you that the savior you annointed last year, Graham Harrell, got released 2-3x (including by a CFL team) and is now the 4th QB/tackling dummy on GB?

Ouch, that left a mark

As much as I hate "doom and gloom" posts, this one is a little too accurate to not appreciate. :thumbsup::sick:

I tried to be funny, but sometimes when you do so, you realize you might just be speaking/writing the truth. I'm the biggest optimist, but this would just be too funny/sad if a similar situation came to fruition.

Fig, love the avatar.

I change my mind daily on my opinion of the Bills possibly drafting CN. If we draft him and he's a bust, we've wasted another choice draft pick. But if we pass, and he becomes this amazing player, well, that would suck too. I'm tempted to lean towards us rolling the dice on him, only because we need something great to happen and he offers the most big splash/high impact potential to change a franchise's fortune. Yes, I'd love to build a great DEF with one of the top DL players, but I'm so desperate for a star QB that I thnk we should take a chance.

Since we have outstanding evidence on our own roster about 1 year college starters(See Aaron Maybin) why do so many people think Cam Newton can excel at the most difficult of positions with the same amount of experience? Nevermind all the other glaring red flags about the guy. Please don't take this as a personal attack on your opinion of him, but I do welcome your answers if you'd like to discuss with the focus around your logic, and what you see in him.

Thanks!

McCurse

What football-related glaring red flag is there? He is big, mobile, accurate, cannon and a leader on the natl championship team. All of the personal stuff about him is nonsense. Are you concerned that because he is an African American he cannot learn an NFL playbook?

Fig, love the avatar.

I change my mind daily on my opinion of the Bills possibly drafting CN. If we draft him and he's a bust, we've wasted another choice draft pick. But if we pass, and he becomes this amazing player, well, that would suck too. I'm tempted to lean towards us rolling the dice on him, only because we need something great to happen and he offers the most big splash/high impact potential to change a franchise's fortune. Yes, I'd love to build a great DEF with one of the top DL players, but I'm so desperate for a star QB that I thnk we should take a chance.

Speak of the devil! I just went back and searched the old threads about 30 min ago because I couldnt remember the screen name of "the guy who came to Hudson". Good to see you post!!

Edited by DrDankenstein

Newton would be an absolute STEAL at #3 overall. I have him ranked #2 on my big board, slightly behind Einstein but comfortably in front of Maxwell.

Is this Newton before testing positve for mercury-poisoning? I'm going with him at #1. None of the stuff that follows happens w/o Newton inventing calculus.

Tough call between Einstein and Maxwell at #2/#3. Gallileo deserves some love as a tough "gamer", but he doesn't have the same upside.

Archimedes played in a different era - hard to evaluate how he'd have stood up against the more "modern" stars you mention, but he was definitely a baller who I think would still make an impact today.

Welcome aboard for hopefully, the next 10 years. Sit back, relax and enjoy the show, because we about to see some football!! And here's to hoping, we can keep the haters away and have uninterrupted discussions, about, "IT"!

Dude's definitely got "IT". I want "IT". We haven't had "IT" here in 20 years. C'mon Ralph....Git "IT"!

Watching this dude re-write these is going to be amazing: Preorder here

Newton's laws of motion consist of three physical laws that form the basis for classical mechanics. They describe the relationship between the forces acting on a body and its motion due to those forces. They have been expressed in several different ways over nearly three centuries,[2] and can be summarized as follows:

1. First law: Every body remains in a state of rest or uniform motion (constant velocity) unless it is acted upon by an external unbalanced force.(This one is going to be fun to watch) [3][4][5] This means that in the absence of a non-zero net force, the center of mass of a body either remains at rest, or moves at a constant speed in a straight line.

2. Second law: A body of mass m subject to a net force F undergoes an acceleration a that has the same direction as the force and a magnitude that is directly proportional to the force and inversely proportional to the mass, i.e., F = ma. Alternatively, the total force applied on a body is equal to the time derivative of linear momentum of the body.

3. Third law: The mutual forces of action and reaction between two bodies are equal, opposite and collinear. This means that whenever a first body exerts a force F on a second body, the second body exerts a force −F on the first body. F and −F are equal in magnitude and opposite in direction. This law is sometimes referred to as the action-reaction law, with F called the "action" and −F the "reaction". The action and the reaction are simultaneous.

The only thing missing is a picture of Cam Isaac "I-Tee" Newton. Ow dis gonna b fun!!! Birth of KG2! (Not mine but I like)

KG1:

QB - JKelly

RB - TThomas

WR - AReed

C - KHull

KG2:

QB - CNewton

RB - Spiller

WR - SJohnson

C - EWood

Now all we need is a Bruce and a Biscuit and I think we could scrap with the best of them. I'd like to nominate Cameron Heyward for the next Bruce and I think Moats may be our new Biscuit.

Sorry so long winded...Go Bills! Cheers!

Don't waste your time worrying about Cam Newton he will likely go number one overall. Not my call a guy by the name of Gil Brandt said he would be "shocked", if Newton did not go number one in the draft. This was reported by Pro Football Talk.com

But what does Gil Brandt know?

Not saying that I am an ardent supporter of Newton, but the one year that he started in D1, he won the Heisman Trophy, lead his team to a National Championship, and dominated the competition to have one of the greatest seasons a college football player has ever had.

Maybin, OTOH, didn't dominate nearly as thoroughly as Newton did. There were some games he was completely ineffective.

(Good points.) Stop wandering off the script!

Comparing Maybin's one sort of ok, sometimes crappy, year at Penn State (who noticed?) with Newton's complete domination of the SEC (the only dominant conference in the country) is a breathtaking leap, to be very kind.

Wow. Way to make things up.

1.) UF did not throw him out. He transfered when Tebow made his decision to stay for another year

2.) He did not steal anything. He purchased a stolen laptop and as far as I know, there is no proof that he knew it was stolen

3.) No proof has been found that Auburn paid Cam or his father any money.

4.) Superior program? Auburn has not been a superior program since Bo Jackson left almost 20 years ago.

Get real. There are plenty of questions marks surrounding Newton and plenty of reasons not to want the Bills to take him at 3, but you shouldn't just make things up.

As others have said, the computer he stole (and went through laughable lengths to disguise this fact BEFORE he hurled it out the window with the MAN at the door), the solicitations by his his father on his behalf he absloutely knew about---this was the dirtiest kid to start for a single year in the history of the NCAA. But....who cares at this point? We blew a top 10 pick on a susposedly intelligent choirboy last year--why not roll the dice on Newton?

(Good points.) Stop wandering off the script!

Comparing Maybin's one sort of ok, sometimes crappy, year at Penn State (who noticed?) with Newton's complete domination of the SEC (the only dominant conference in the country) is a breathtaking leap, to be very kind.

As others have said, the computer he stole (and went through laughable lengths to disguise this fact BEFORE he hurled it out the window with the MAN at the door), the solicitations by his his father on his behalf he absloutely knew about---this was the dirtiest kid to start for a single year in the history of the NCAA. But....who cares at this point? We blew a top 10 pick on a susposedly intelligent choirboy last year--why not roll the dice on Newton?

Absolutely false, and you are making that up. There are a number of athletes that have committed worse crimes. There are a LARGE number of athletes that get "paid to play", and it's been happening since AT LEAST the 1970s. Most of our heros from the 80s were paid to play. As anyone can tell you, Eric Dickerson took a PAY CUT when he left SMU and went to the NFL.

This was not the "dirtiest" kid, this was the most publicized kid. Big difference.

Edited by DrDankenstein

Fig, love the avatar.

You said it BuffaloATL, we need something great and Cam Newton offers the biggest splash/high impact potential.The Pats have 8 draft picks in the first 4 rounds of the 2011 NFL draft so how can we compete with them. Cam Newton is a one man army, that's how.

We have to roll the dice!