Adam Schefter: Denver is taking Miller at 2

This would be a dream come true.

That being said, you know the draft is now going to go 1. Dareus, 2. Fairley...

Leaving the Bills to choose between Peterson, Green, Miller, and Newton... :sick:

All four of those guys are elite athletes and potential impact players going forward.

No reason to puke if the Bills choose between any of them.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Miller/Dareus, if the Bills get either, they will have done a good job. I know Bills fans love to hate on Miller for no reason, but he'd be a great addition.

That being said, if the Bills go Gabbert at 3 and pass on Miller/Dareus, the reaction on this board will be priceless. Like a pile of sadness in a failure bowl.

If they pass on miller or Dareus I'll be a little upset because I think both have a much better chance of being a top flight player in the NFL. But If we drafted gabbert, I'd have to trust the FO that they are confidant he can and will be our QB for the next 10 years. They've done a ton of scouting on him and I don't think they'd take him if they thought he wouldn't fit what we're looking for. I'm not sold on gabbert by any means, but I'm sold on the thought that we need a stud qb, whether or not he is, is a different story. Beating a dead horse incoming: if they like a QB in the 1st, take him. Drafting defense can come with the rest of the picks, FA, and next years off season. We aren't contending for a SB this year.

All four of those guys are elite athletes and potential impact players going forward.

No reason to puke if the Bills choose between any of them.

Other than the 2 year project, Newton, none of the others help our team. At #3 you should be able to get an impact player AT a position of need. If you want impact, build in the trenches. Peterson/Miller arent going to help stop the run. Green isnt going to help our OLine. Theyd be wasted picks for this building effort, IMO.

I dont want to sound like Im hating on Spiller, but we took the "impact player" last year, and how'd that work out? The trench guy we were afraid to "reach" for, Bulaga, only went on to start all year for the Super Bowl Champs...

Miller/Dareus, if the Bills get either, they will have done a good job. I know Bills fans love to hate on Miller for no reason, but he'd be a great addition.

That being said, if the Bills go Gabbert at 3 and pass on Miller/Dareus, the reaction on this board will be priceless. Like a pile of sadness in a failure bowl.

Bills fans are the only ones down on Miller. So many people are calling him one of, if not the safest picks in the draft. I can't blame anyone for expecting the worst. 10 years of lousy drafting will do that to a fan base.

I want Dareus more than Miller, though. Getting an opportunity to get a defensive lineman of than caliber doesn't come around very often. He'd make everyone behind him better.

Passing on both is another decision we've come to expect from the front office. Hopefully this run of despair ends here.

For what it's worth, Schefter spent years in Denver covering the broncos prior to starting with the NFL Network, so if he says they're taking Miller, I think it's pretty much a lock.

I would be a little disappointed. I wanted Miller in our LB core

So let me ask you since you've selected Miller in your mind.... What was our biggest flaw as a team last year? Does that fit into the equation when you decided on Miller over Dareus or whomever else is available?

My quick view because I have to do something else is...that our biggest flaw was the inability to stop the run! The best way I know is to clog up the running lanes with a big defensive tackle like Marcell Dareus who is a strong anchor and a wide body...He gets his share of sacks and disrupts the QB as well. Nobody had more sacks than Miller, but I'm slightly uneasy about that converting to the same results in the NFL as Miller is obviously a slightly undersized player. His specialty is a need, but not as much as stopping the run at the point of attack. Marcell Dareus is probably the most versatile DT in the draft and like Miller doesn't display any character or work ethic flaws. Despite our differnce in player preference I think we do win either way..I'm just more inclined to go with Dareus and wanted to see your thoughts on the subject...thanks!

oh please let this happen.

+ infinity

Of course, I have as much faith in this happening as I will if the Sabres get a two goal lead tonight. I'm still convinced that Carolina is going to come to their senses at the last minute.

Schefer was on Mike and Mike and said Carolina wants to take Newton, but they're still trying to convince themselves he's the right pick. Said they're leaning to him, but still haven't sold themselves on him.

Said he thinks Denver would take Von Miller

Then Buffalo would take Dareus.

He said Newton, Miller and Dareus will be the top 3, and Buffalo will just take whoever is left...basically.

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/show?showId=mikeandmike

Scroll down and click on his interview

Here are my top three choices for the Bills in order:

1. Marcel Dareus (this is the best option by far for the Bills)

2. Von Miller LB next best

3. Patrick Peterson CB

My worst case scenario is for the Bills to draft a QB at #3.

If Dareus or Miller are off the board, I still think the Bills go defense in reality. I've gone back and forth on this (I admittedly declared two weeks ago that based off of Nix's comments, the Bills were definitely going defense, only to say a few days ago they would go QB).

Well, I'm back on the defense bandwagon. The more I think about it, the more I'm sure that the Wannstedt/Whaley combo will have a large influence on personnel moves. And both of these guys are going inevitably be pushing for defense.

i would very excited with this pick. hopefully keep some Olinemen off our LBs and help the whole defense out. one of the crazy things is he played with a injury for most of the season so imagine him at 100%.

dwan edwards-kyle williams-marcel dareus. on paper thats a really good 34 front. add in a kelvin sheppard hopefully and then if merriman can stay healthy with POZ if hes resigned and moats on the other side. id be stoked.

Other than the 2 year project, Newton, none of the others help our team. At #3 you should be able to get an impact player AT a position of need. If you want impact, build in the trenches. Peterson/Miller arent going to help stop the run. Green isnt going to help our OLine. Theyd be wasted picks for this building effort, IMO.

I dont want to sound like Im hating on Spiller, but we took the "impact player" last year, and how'd that work out? The trench guy we were afraid to "reach" for, Bulaga, only went on to start all year for the Super Bowl Champs...

Ny sense is that Gabbert is also a two year project. He actually came to folks attention relatively late in the process replacing Luck as the great white hope when Luck decided to stay in. In part this also due to Gabbert really only having two solid years as the starting QB unlike the best of the QBs who were identified in high school as a potential franchise QB and really have 3 or even four years of focus on their QB work.

Gabbert also comes from a spread offense he ran efficiently and productively, but still I see a year of him sitting on the bench and learning NFL Ds and then another year of hims getting game time at mop-up time and learning the game from behind the center before we should expect much production that will help the team.

Folks are going a little overboard if they have some expectation or even demand that he turn out to be another Dan Marino who can start immediately or want to pretend the Bills have a D like the Ravens which was a big part of allowing Flacco to start as a rookie.

Ironically, I think Gabbert looks more likely as a franchise QB eventually than Newton, but in the short run (and the future is often now in the NFL)I think Newton will be more of an immediate contributor. I can easily see him being used as the QB in a Miami style Wildcat offense. If he lined up in the shotgun behind the center with the Bills running 3 or even 4 receivers in an empty backfield, the opponents will have to run a spread, nickel or dime D to respect the pass and Newton then has a relatively easy read as to what the safties do to decide to and pick a hole to run through.

I'd prefer Dareus because I think it will be easier for us to pick up a better 3-4 OLB in round 2 than it would to pick up a 3-4 DE in round two.

That has never been less true than in this draft. There are as many as 15 guys in this class that could come in and compete for a starting job at DE in a 3-4 from day 1 (Dareus, Fairley, Watt, Jordan, Bowers, Clayborn, Heyward, Ballard, Wilkerson, Casey, Bailey, Austin, Paea). There may be 5 or 6 guys that could compete for a starting job at OLB in a 3-4 (Miller, Houston, A. Smith, Kerrigan, Sheard, B. Reed).

Sorry if this sounds like an attack, but I think you've got it backwards if you're basing your first round pick on filling needs this year. It'll almost certainly be easier to get a 3-4 DE in round 2 than a rush LB.

one or the other will really help...its a win ,win situation..

agreed

For what it's worth, Schefter spent years in Denver covering the broncos prior to starting with the NFL Network, so if he says they're taking Miller, I think it's pretty much a lock.

I would be a little disappointed. I wanted Miller in our LB core

While true that Schefter reported for Denver, he is a Shanahan boy and used to get all his inside information from him so I;m not sure he's still the Denver source. The Shanahan connection was still in process last year when there were "leaks" about Redskin inside info.

I too hope that the Bills get Miller, but if it's Dareus that's OK to. The good/bad news will be if we take Newton this year (heaven help us) we should be in good shape for the #1 pick in the draft next year and to draft Andrew Luck, a real QB.

We'll pass and draft Gabbert or Peterson and screw it up....

Peterson is arguably the single best player in the draft.

I know we all want better run defense, but adding a monster shutdown corner of the sort that comes out only every few years is no crime. McKelvin isn't all there yet (ever?) and McGee just keeps getting older.

I'd rather have Miller or Dareus too - just saying, people shouldn't freak out about Peterson (or AJ Green, for that matter) - he's a legit pick at that spot.

As for Quinn - I think it would be freaking nuts to spend the #3 pick on a guy who didn't play at all last year, and didn't put up good numbers at the combine.

Edited by BobChalmers