Why Did the Revolutionary War start?

The Civil War thread got me thinking what everyone learned about the revolutionary war and see if there was a difference in opinion there

I learned it was because of unfair taxes and a lack of representation in the British Parliament... Am I wrong?

My father got the 4 CD set from the history channel a while ago, we watched it over the winter. Freakin miracle we won. Benedict Arnold got screwed several times, had he gotten his just recognition he would have gone down as one of the great heroes of the war and West Point would probably still be Fort Arnold. Instead his name is synonymous with traitor.

But yeah, you're not wrong, pretty much taxation without representation combined with a lot of big egos.

Edited by Steve O

My father got the 4 CD set from the history channel a while ago, we watched it over the winter. Freakin miracle we won. Benedict Arnold got screwed several times, had he gotten his just recognition he would have gone down as one of the great heroes of the war and West Point would probably still be Fort Arnold. Instead his name is synonymous with traitor.

But yeah, you're not wrong, pretty much taxation without representation combined with a lot of big egos.

I wouldn't call it a miracle that we won. British arrogance and stupidity were the 2 biggest reasons we won.

I wouldn't call it a miracle that we won. British arrogance and stupidity were the 2 biggest reasons we won.

Home field advantage and British officers fondness for colonial women were the two main reasons. British arrogance and stupidity were secondary reasons.

Edited by Steve O

Home field advantage and British officers fondness for colonial women were the two main reasons. British arrogance and stupidity were secondary reasons.

The arrogance and home field advantage went hand-in-hand in that the British were trying to fight old Euro style on unknown lands.

And we didn't so much we as we just didn't go away. Pestered them long enough until the British said !@#$ it, this isn't worth it anymore.

The arrogance and home field advantage went hand-in-hand in that the British were trying to fight old Euro style on unknown lands.

And we didn't so much we as we just didn't go away. Pestered them long enough until the British said !@#$ it, this isn't worth it anymore.

They sure got that one wrong didn't they.

I have been reading up on Marquis de Lafayette and he is the unsung hero of the revolution. He had an amazing interesting life and is just as much a factor in the US winning as Washington. Lafayette believed in liberty for all and foresaw the potential greatness of the USA. He helped start the French revolution, and when he returned to USA from France he had probably the greatest reception anyone has ever had in this country. Rock stars have nothing on Lafayette. When Washington died, Lafayette took some soil from the site, and took it back with him to France. So Lafayette is buried in American soil in France.

You see Lafayette's name all over- towns, roads, colleges. But few know his story. If you are not familiar I highly recommend you read up on this great American hero

Lafayette was a fervent believer of freedom for all. And slavery abhorred him. He truly recognized what this country is supposed to be premised on

I have been reading up on Marquis de Lafayette and he is the unsung hero of the revolution. He had an amazing interesting life and is just as much a factor in the US winning as Washington. Lafayette believed in liberty for all and foresaw the potential greatness of the USA. He helped start the French revolution, and when he returned to USA from France he had probably the greatest reception anyone has ever had in this country. Rock stars have nothing on Lafayette. When Washington died, Lafayette took some soil from the site, and took it back with him to France. So Lafayette is buried in American soil in France.

You see Lafayette's name all over- towns, roads, colleges. But few know his story. If you are not familiar I highly recommend you read up on this great American hero

Lafayette was a fervent believer of freedom for all. And slavery abhorred him. He truly recognized what this country is supposed to be premised on

Ill look into him. That does sound interesting...thanks pete

That Marquis de Lafayette was an extraordinary man. I'll definitely look up on amazon for a good biography on him. In history classes they seemed to gloss over the interesting parts. It was always dates, dates and more dates.