Pats ready to deal their 2nd, 1st round pick ?

papazoid

There are reports that the New England Patriots, holders of six picks in the top 92 selections of this year’s draft, could be convinced to part with their second first-round pick at 28. The Patriots also have the 17th pick in addition to the 28th and they’ve got the first pick in round 2 (33rd overall):

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2011/03/21/pats-ready-to-deal-2nd-1st/

There are reports that the New England Patriots, holders of six picks in the top 92 selections of this year’s draft, could be convinced to part with their second first-round pick at 28. The Patriots also have the 17th pick in addition to the 28th and they’ve got the first pick in round 2 (33rd overall):

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2011/03/21/pats-ready-to-deal-2nd-1st/

Depending on who is there at #28 (i.e., Gabe Carimi) it may be worthwhile to trade our 2nd and maybe a 5th rounder to move up.

What is sickening in this whole situation is that the Pats even have 6 picks out of the top 92. Let's say they only hit on 50% that means they are three players better (define it how you want). The Bills will be lucky to get three solid contributors out of the draft given their history. The odds simply are that the Pats will improve more than the Bills will through this draft.

What is sickening in this whole situation is that the Pats even have 6 picks out of the top 92. Let's say they only hit on 50% that means they are three players better (define it how you want). The Bills will be lucky to get three solid contributors out of the draft given their history. The odds simply are that the Pats will improve more than the Bills will through this draft.

Given the Pats recent draft history, they'll be lucky to get anywhere near 50%.

Given the Pats recent draft history, they'll be lucky to get anywhere near 50%.

Tha pats drafted 4 instant starters in last years draft. Their top two picks made the pro bowl. The Bills are lucky to get two starters after 3 years of "developing" in one draft, let alone 1st years PBers.

Edited by Thoner7

Tha pats drafted 4 instant starters in last years draft. Their top two picks made the pro bowl. The Bills are lucky to get two starters after 3 years of "developing" in one draft, let alone 1st years PBers.

Due to poor drafting, Brady is the only one holding that rickety team together. Mayo, McCournty and the two TEs, that's it, that's all they got from the gazillion draft picks that the've had over the last several years.

Yes, last year was a good draft for them, but the interior trenches of that team are fading fast. My hope is that Brady gets nicked up more and more and decides to call it an early career in a couple of years. Think about it, he probably does want a long and healthy life with Gisselle (SP?) after he's done playing. The longer these QBs go, the more decrepit they become at age 50 and above.

Not to keep piling on, but this article left out that they also have 2 picks in the 4th round as well. So that's 8 in the first 4 rounds... :sick:

Luckily, with the exception of last year, their drafts have been so-so over the past 5-10 years.

The Pats scored on two very solid TE's in last years draft. How many years does it take for the Bills to get two TE's? My guess is McKeller and Riemersma- so 20 years or so

Due to poor drafting, Brady is the only one holding that rickety team together. Mayo, McCournty and the two TEs, that's it, that's all they got from the gazillion draft picks that the've had over the last several years.

Yes, last year was a good draft for them, but the interior trenches of that team are fading fast. My hope is that Brady gets nicked up more and more and decides to call it an early career in a couple of years. Think about it, he probably does want a long and healthy life with Gisselle (SP?) after he's done playing. The longer these QBs go, the more decrepit they become at age 50 and above.

I would mind having their rickety team...

Depending on who is there at #28 (i.e., Gabe Carimi) it may be worthwhile to trade our 2nd and maybe a 5th rounder to move up.

I don't get the infatuation with Carimi ?? I saw some tape of him on utube & Bowers took his a** to the wood shed & taught him what it was like to play against a better player .

He couldn't stop nothin that Bowers put out !!

We don't need any more prospects for the guard position !!!

You kidding me? Devin McCourty, Rob Gronkowski, Brandon Spikes, Aaron Hernandez, Patrick Chung (96 tackles, 3 INTs, 1 TD and a key blocked punt in the Jets game on special teams), Sebastion Vollmer a 4th round draft pick who's now starting for the Patriots, Brandon Tate has shown flashes, Julian Edleman, Jerod Mayo, Brandon Meriweather, Stephen Gostkowski, Logan Mankins, Nick Kaczur, Matt Cassel, Vince Wilfork, Eugene Wilson, Ty Warren, Dan Koppen, Asante Samuel, Tully Banta Cain, Richard Seymour, Matt Light.

Yeaaa...That's it. Who have they drafted? A bunch of nobodies. :rolleyes:

I hate the Patriots and Brady as much as anybody out there but I give credit where credit is due. There's a reason why the Patriots are always one of the best teams in the league, because they just pile up draft picks like this. The Patriots and Eagles are by far the best teams at working the board, and this is why their talent level is always through the roof. We should learn from these teams. Joe Banner and Kraft have these teams in position to succeed for many years to come.

Edited by DreReed83

Good point! When the Pats trade down every year and get more picks they simply increase their chances of getting a good player. Thankfully they have actually drafted fairly poorly of late with the exception of Mayo. Contrast that with Marv's approach to give away draft picks gained from decent player trades to move up and draft the likes of Poz and McCargo. It's easy to see why the Bills are who we are....

If New England is interested in the 3rd pick overall, they better be prepared to pay the following:

1st round - 17th overall 2011

1st round - 28th overall 2011

2nd round - 33rd overall 2011

and of course, their 1st round pick overall in the 2012 draft.

Then I would jump at the offer, otherwise, have a nice day.

If New England is interested in the 3rd pick overall, they better be prepared to pay the following:

1st round - 17th overall 2011

1st round - 28th overall 2011

2nd round - 33rd overall 2011

and of course, their 1st round pick overall in the 2012 draft.

Then I would jump at the offer, otherwise, have a nice day.

The Patriots won't be the worst team in the NFL. Sorry

You kidding me? Devin McCourty, Rob Gronkowski, Brandon Spikes, Aaron Hernandez, Patrick Chung (96 tackles, 3 INTs, 1 TD and a key blocked punt in the Jets game on special teams), Sebastion Vollmer a 4th round draft pick who's now starting for the Patriots, Brandon Tate has shown flashes, Julian Edleman, Jerod Mayo, Brandon Meriweather, Stephen Gostkowski, Logan Mankins, Nick Kaczur, Matt Cassel, Vince Wilfork, Eugene Wilson, Ty Warren, Dan Koppen, Asante Samuel, Tully Banta Cain, Richard Seymour, Matt Light.

Yeaaa...That's it. Who have they drafted? A bunch of nobodies. :rolleyes:

I hate the Patriots and Brady as much as anybody out there but I give credit where credit is due. There's a reason why the Patriots are always one of the best teams in the league, because they just pile up draft picks like this. The Patriots and Eagles are by far the best teams at working the board, and this is why their talent level is always through the roof. We should learn from these teams. Joe Banner and Kraft have these teams in position to succeed for many years to come.

What part of "last several years" didn't you get...Richard Seymour?????...LOL

I stand by what I said, they are fading due to bad drafts and the only one who's holding them up is Brady.

I don't get the infatuation with Carimi ?? I saw some tape of him on utube & Bowers took his a** to the wood shed & taught him what it was like to play against a better player .

He couldn't stop nothin that Bowers put out !!

We don't need any more prospects for the guard position !!!

Dude, not sure what you're smokin but pass some this way. Carimi is arguably the best RT prospect in this draft, and is quite possibly the best run blocker. He is what we need on the right side of our offensive line. BTW...ask Adrian Clayborn and Cam Heyward what it's like to play against a good offensive tackle.

The Patriots won't be the worst team in the NFL. Sorry

That comment isn't geared toward the 1st pick overall in the draft. In case you hadn't noticed it states the New England Patriots first pick overall in the 1st round. That only ensures that if their pick is the 25th overall for example, but they acquired the 15th pick overall from another team, that Buffalo would get that 15th pick overall.

It's just an example, but I hope you understand now. It was worded correctly by the way. :thumbsup:

What part of "last several years" didn't you get...Richard Seymour?????...LOL

I stand by what I said, they are fading due to bad drafts and the only one who's holding them up is Brady.

Who are you? Baghdad Bob? They were the best team in the league last year in the regular season, and by a substantial margin. Jeez.

Who are you? Baghdad Bob? They were the best team in the league last year in the regular season, and by a substantial margin. Jeez.

I'd give you the last 5 weeks of the season but they were in dog fights almost every week before that, and got freakin' crushed by the Browns. Their defense was statistically worse than the BILLS last season. Imagine the BILLS spending back-to-back top picks on the secondary and ending up 30th in the NFL against the pass.

There's a reason that JETS linebacker said they "couldn't stop a nosebleed".

The difference between the Patriots and most teams is they know how to win, especially with the bright lights on. Most of that has to do with Brady and Belichick. They're not more talented than anyone and never have been.

Good point! When the Pats trade down every year and get more picks they simply increase their chances of getting a good player. Thankfully they have actually drafted fairly poorly of late with the exception of Mayo. Contrast that with Marv's approach to give away draft picks gained from decent player trades to move up and draft the likes of Poz and McCargo. It's easy to see why the Bills are who we are....

But they don't. If you keep "trading back" and never actually spend those extra picks on players, then having all those picks are pointless.

When you have such a mediocre league, then the difference of you being the team that has Tom Brady and the other being the one that doesn't is enormous. That Pats team is no longer capable of supporting a Matt Cassell-like backup QB and still win like they did a few years ago.

They have become just like the Colts, a one man marching band. Granted that one man beats you almost every time, but both QBs are getting up there in years and who's to say that they won't choose their health over the love of the game and money in a couple of years.

So true my man, one hit and the Pats go up in smoke.

Ahhhh, where have I seen this before. History would say otherwise.

And it hurt even more with Cassel beating us.

When you have such a mediocre league, then the difference of you being the team that has Tom Brady and the other being the one that doesn't is enormous. That Pats team is no longer capable of supporting a Matt Cassell-like backup QB and still win like they did a few years ago.

They have become just like the Colts, a one man marching band. Granted that one man beats you almost every time, but both QBs are getting up there in years and who's to say that they won't choose their health over the love of the game and money in a couple of years.

I actually disagree. Moss/historic numbers aside, their offense was arguably just as good this past season. It was efficient as hell. Still have an All Pro at G, two good tackles (one young), and numerous weapons that BB uses to exploit other teams.

actually the Pats are completely different than the colts. Polian has always over paid and kept a certain few superstars (manning,sanders,feeney)leaving little money for backups. the patriots never overpay and have considerable depth.

the Pats do so many things that keep them sucessful....

they value "intelligence" as much as skill. the league is so close physically they get an edge by getting players who make the fewest mistakes. they value "versatility" so players can play multiple positions and special teams. they do not hang on to veterans whose skills are declining or overpay veterans who have an inflated value of themselves. they stockpile draft choices, deftly moving up and down in the draft. they have drafted well. they are able to add certain free agents at low cost, who have a specific role. they do not invest alot of money at DB & WR. they place more value on TE than most teams. all this had led them to an average 12.5 wins per season over the last 7 years.

actually the Pats are completely different than the colts. Polian has always over paid and kept a certain few superstars (manning,sanders,feeney)leaving little money for backups. the patriots never overpay and have considerable depth.

they value "intelligence" as much as skill. the league is so close physically they get an edge by getting players who make the fewest mistakes. they value "versatility" so players can play multiple positions and special teams. they do not hang on to veterans whose skills are declining or overpay veterans who have an inflated value of themselves. they stockpile draft choices, deftly moving up and down in the draft. they have drafted well. they are able to add certain free agents at low cost, who have a specific role. they do not invest alot of money at DB & WR. they place more value on TE than most teams. all this had led them to an average 12.5 wins per season over the last 7 years.

"the Pats do so many things that keep them sucessful...."

Not really, there's only one thing keeping them successful and that's not cutting Tom Brady. Pittsburgh is an example of a team that's drafted well in recent years, the Pats have not. They've had success at FA pickups like Woodhead. However, the core of that "dynasty" team is gone and they've yet to replace it. That could change since they finally hit with some picks last year and they have so many this year. But right now, they are in rough shape if Brady has a career ender.

By "intelligence" and "versatility" i think you mean "HGH" and "cheating."

The pats* have not drafted well recently, and they have actually spent quite a few picks on DBs. Contrary to what many believe, the Bills spend about the league average on DB picks.

By "intelligence" and "versatility" i think you mean "HGH" and "cheating."

The pats* have not drafted well recently, and they have actually spent quite a few picks on DBs. Contrary to what many believe, the Bills spend about the league average on DB picks.

"HGH"- all teams have cheaters...even the Bills like Marcus Stroud, Shawn Nelson, Marshawn Lynch, Anthony Hargrove, Travis Henry, Hal Garner, Tyrone Robertson, Matt Jaworski, Tom Doctor, Sean Doctor....i'm sure i've missed a few.

"DB picks"- since 1990 the bills have used their 1st round pick on a DB's eight (8) times (3 in last 10 yrs). in that same time period new england has used 4 on DB's and only 1 in the last 10 years.

"Draft success"- 4 of 5 of the pats previous 1st round picks all made the pro bowl last year. i'll say that again...FOUR of FIVE !! (Logan Mankins, Brandon Meriweather, Jerod Mayo, Devin McCourty).......i wish the Bills drafted so poorly. of our last five 1st round picks, we have one starter (Whitner) and ZERO pro bowlers.

"Cheating" another rampant league wide problem ......this pats cheating issue is laughable....i could have all my coaches observing with binoculars in order to steal all opposing teams signals and play calls and legally use that info against them.....but i just cant video record it..... laughable.

"HGH"- all teams have cheaters...even the Bills like Marcus Stroud, Shawn Nelson, Marshawn Lynch, Anthony Hargrove, Travis Henry, Hal Garner, Tyrone Robertson, Matt Jaworski, Tom Doctor, Sean Doctor....i'm sure i've missed a few.

"DB picks"- since 1990 the bills have used their 1st round pick on a DB's eight (8) times (3 in last 10 yrs). in that same time period new england has used 4 on DB's and only 1 in the last 10 years.

"Draft success"- 4 of 5 of the pats previous 1st round picks all made the pro bowl last year. i'll say that again...FOUR of FIVE !! (Logan Mankins, Brandon Meriweather, Jerod Mayo, Devin McCourty).......i wish the Bills drafted so poorly. of our last five 1st round picks, we have one starter (Whitner) and ZERO pro bowlers.

"Cheating" another rampant league wide problem ......this pats cheating issue is laughable....i could have all my coaches observing with binoculars in order to steal all opposing teams signals and play calls and legally use that info against them.....but i just cant video record it..... laughable.

Just because 4 of 5 first round picks went to the pro bowl doesn't mean that they have the same talent as they did 5 years ago. Plus, let's be real, Mankins and Meriweather made it because they're on the Patriots. The pro bowl is half popularity contest. If those guys were on the Bills they'd be league-wide no names and have no shot at the pro bowl.

If these guys are so good AND they have the best QB in the NFL, how come they haven't won a Superbowl yet with them?

Edited by 1billsfan

Just because 4 of 5 first round picks went to the pro bowl doesn't mean that they have the same talent as they did 5 years ago. Plus, let's be real, Mankins and Meriweather made it because they're on the Patriots. The pro bowl is half popularity contest. If those guys were on the Bills they'd be league-wide no names and have no shot at the pro bowl.

If these guys are so good AND they have the best QB in the NFL, how come they haven't won a Superbowl yet with them?

By your logic, the Bills have never been good.

By your logic, the Bills have never been good.

I'm not comparing the Bills past or present to the current day Pats team.

I'm arguing how "good" these current Pats players are compared to their dynasty core of players. They're obviously not as good as them judging by their post seasons.

#1- i never said they have the same talent as 5 years ago. i simply said they draft well, hitting on 4 of 5 first round picks as pro bowlers is proof positive they draft well.

#2- not only is Mankins a pro bowler...he is a FIRST TEAM ALL PRO. Mayo and Mcourtry are second team All Pro.

#3- winning the super bowl is NOT the only measure of success. let's start with winning your division 8 out of the last 10 years (including 7 of last 8) and the one year they didn't they were 11-5. let's end with the Pat's have completely overhauled their roster and look like they will continue to win this division and make the playoffs for years to come. they also have 2 picks in each of the first three rounds in the upcoming draft.

#1- i never said they have the same talent as 5 years ago. i simply said they draft well, hitting on 4 of 5 first round picks as pro bowlers is proof positive they draft well.

#2- not only is Mankins a pro bowler...he is a FIRST TEAM ALL PRO. Mayo and Mcourtry are second team All Pro.

#3- winning the super bowl is NOT the only measure of success. let's start with winning your division 8 out of the last 10 years (including 7 of last 8) and the one year they didn't they were 11-5. let's end with the Pat's have completely overhauled their roster and look like they will continue to win this division and make the playoffs for years to come. they also have 2 picks in each of the first three rounds in the upcoming draft.

Ask Tom Brady if he likes the looks of this so-called "overhaul". Also ask him if he thinks the last five years have been successful.

We have a disconnect going on here. You're judging them by "I'm a Bills fan who's just happy to make the playoffs" standard. I'm judging them by their own very real standard of actually winning Superbowls.

Ask Tom Brady if he likes the looks of this so-called "overhaul". Also ask him if he thinks the last five years have been successful.

We have a disconnect going on here. You're judging them by "I'm a Bills fan who's just happy to make the playoffs" standard. I'm judging them by their own very real standard of actually winning Superbowls.

i'm judging them by 31 other NFL teams (not just by the bills). by any measure the New England Patriots are the single most successful football team over the last 10 years (next would be Pitt). so by your standards, if new england can't feel good about themselves , then no other team can either, with the exception of the most recent super bowl winner. you claim the ONLY reason for New Englands success is Tom Brady, that is total nonsense. obviously if you take away any teams best player...they are not as good. you want to poo poo the Pats because they have not won the super bowl in the last five years.....thats your right....most players who have not won the most recent super bowl will say the season was not a total success, so Brady would say something like he's not satisfied. i'm simply saying they are successful, now and in their recent past. you are saying that this current group is not as good as the group that won 3 of 4 superbowls.....i agree with that. so i guess your left to argue that they are NOT successful because they have not met their own lofty goals. btw, they are favored by las vegas to win next years super bowl (an indication that they are going to be successful going forward.)