Mallet 5.4 in the 40 does it matter?

Mallett is an absolute no-brainer pick in the 2nd round. He is by far the best pure passer in this QB class. If he turns out to be coachable, he has the potential to be the best player to come out of this draft. He would have great mentors in Gailey, Cortez, and Fitzy. IMO...it would be well worth the risk. :thumbsup:

I thought Mallett performed rather well at the combine. What did you see from him that might have hurt his stock?

I'd assume he's referring to the cloud over him from the start with the opening interviews. That said, I think mallet is way better then people give credit.Arkansas wasn't very talented. That Arkansas team shouldn't have been in the Alabama game if not for him so the couple of late throws don't kill me. The sugarbowl would've been a blowout if his receivers caught anything all. It's funny how people say no because we have fitz and mallet chokes- but if I recall, fitz had some pretty poor finishes too. I think as a 2-3 rounder, mallet will be the best in years to come out of that range. Not saying a lot, but he has pro written all over him in the right situation.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think anyone expected him to be fast but 5.4 is slow for a OT does this drop him out of the second round?

LOL!! I don't even know why they have O-Linemen running a 40. How many plays a year do they even run 20??

Other than interviews, the drills they put them thru are the only things worthwhile at the combine.

Can you dig up any stats on Marino?

or Jim Kelly

We'll get the Kelly and Marino times as soon as they've completed the 40 yards. Last I heard, they had about 5 yards to go. Should be any day now.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

The ability to launch the ball a mile in the wind and snow does not a quarterback make.

Not being able to throw in the wind a good qb in buffalo will break.

The NFL is faster than it was when Kelly and Marino played. This is unacceptable mobility

Mobility is a perk nor a requirement. You need to be able to know when and where to take about 3-5 steps in the pocket. That doesn't take 4.5 speed. It's nice if your qb can create with his legs but quite frankly how many times in the past year did manning or Brady run more then about 5-10 yards after they hit there last step on a drop? Granted it really helps Rogers and big ben, vick etc... But it's not required. There just aren't a lot of qbs with mallets skill set in college right now- college coaches are getting guys that make one read and then create with legs more than they used to

Does he have an accurate arm, both on deep balls, and shorter routes? Does he make good decisions? Did he win big games? That is more important than 40-time and brashness. The questions about drug use are troubling.

I don't think anyone expected him to be fast but 5.4 is slow for a OT does this drop him out of the second round?

Really? Frankenstein ran a 5.3. Lurch logged in at 5.28.

We definitely should not consider him for LT then.

There have to be other candidates that are better.

I would love to see our Bills draft Mallett in the second, but no way he lasts until then. No doubt he's a first rounder and will be the best QB in this draft. His 40 time is irrelevant.