in Maybin Defense

i truely believe in the right system and coaching Maybin can be an outstandling Football player...but he came to a unstable situation....he has too much raw talent not be effective...Rex Ryan,Tomlin,Billicek,Fisher ect..would have had that guy in a system where he'd get 10 sacks a season... he's not being used correctly...and then soo much pressure from the city and the media calling him a bust and he is just turning 22?...expecting him to be our savior... rather than a 20 year old football player that needed time to develop...

I believe he's have a solid season....

You certainly fit the description of "optimist."

I can't recall anyone, sportswriters, etc., saying anything remotely like this. We'd all love it if Aaron did turn out to be at least a decent player, but there really hasn't been anything to indicate that that's going to happen.

If only we could devise a scheme where everyone on the defense could play full out and then hold the ball-carrier in one place so Maybin can run in a straight line and hit him, then celebrate unnecessarily for 30 seconds.

:lol: I think you're on to something.

Edited by vincec

i truely believe in the right system and coaching Maybin can be an outstandling Football player...but he came to a unstable situation....he has too much raw talent not be effective...Rex Ryan,Tomlin,Billicek,Fisher ect..would have had that guy in a system where he'd get 10 sacks a season... he's not being used correctly...and then soo much pressure from the city and the media calling him a bust and he is just turning 22?...expecting him to be our savior... rather than a 20 year old football player that needed time to develop...

I strongly suspect you are a child. If I were your teacher I would make you stay after school and write "Aaron Maybin is not a football player" on the blackboard one million times.

Maybin needs no defense.

His play on the defense is truly...offensive? :rolleyes:

Let the play on the field do all of the talking. Potential means 0. But he sure is costing quite a few 0's for no production.

Maybin basically qualified as a luxury pick. A "project" (though even that is now dubious as he continues to show nothing). A pick that teams that have a star-studded roster make to play with.

But when Orakpo and Oher are sitting there, and we take Maybin?

Orakpo has now been to 2 Pro Bowls, and Maybin has been to how many exactly? :oops:

Or this would be a good fit

youtube.com/watch?v=jW_r4rD_Ph4

That...is...just...pathetic!

Maybin might be able to compete at the female level...

This post by the OPer should be up for worst post of the year, even though it's still very early in the year. I just can't see Maybin making any kind of positive impact on defense this year or any other year. He hasn't even given us anything at all to be optimistic about. I hated the pick when we made it and I hate it even more, now.

Kind of how Ryan's been able to do the same with Vernon Gholston right? Face it man, some guys are just busts thats just the way it is. I hope I'm wrong and you are right but I doubt it.

except gholston gave a bunch of his money back and restructured his contract...he went to them, not vice versa.... to me thats worth keeping vernon...maybin should do the same to at least assure himself a spot on the practice squad :P

Hard work and dedication + some talent >>>>>>> Raw talent + blaming the coaches for not using him correctly

Maybin needs to visit with Bruce Smith about the double-edged sword of high expectations and how to live up to them -- work harder, train harder, work longer, train longer

(and stop doing anything that distracts or gets in the way be it wild parties, pity parties, or chicken wing parties)

It is not Maybin's fault he was drafted so high and came in with such high expectations

It is on Maybin to do more to live up to them

It is not Maybin's fault he was drafted so high and came in with such high expectations

It is on Maybin to do more to live up to them

I have heard this said so many times but the fact is that even a second or third round draft pick should be contributing by his second year. He would be called a bust even if he was picked in those latter rounds. I think folks like Carrington and Moats have done more in their rookie year than Maybin has in his two years.

Edited by Fan in Chicago

I have heard this said so many times but the fact is that even a second or third round draft pick should be contributing by his second year. He would be called a bust even if he was picked in those latter rounds. I think folks like Carrington and Moats have done more in their rookie year than Maybin has in his two years.

I don't disagree with you Fan in.

I don't think you disagree with me either, really. Let me try to restate:

It was (and is) on Maybin to do more to live up to the team's expectations, whether the flack from the fans is reasonable or not.

Cutting Maybin would do nothing to make this team better.

Sure, they could draft Von Miller and maybe he becomes the player Maybin was supposed to be. It would be far better, though, to take a dominant DE like Fairly or Dareus and then start getting legitimate production from Maybin. You get better a lot faster if you not only bring in good players but start getting underperforming players to contribute.

I remember it was said about Darrel Talley in a 1985 preview magazine that he "wastes more talent than anyone on this unit posesses." No one could say that about the rest of his career. That's how that team became great. They started making better picks and the players they had stepped up.

I think Gailey is trying to light a fire under Maybin by getting him to come to grips of how close he is to being cut. Maybe it works, maybe it doesn't. But there's absolutely nothing to lose by being patient with him.

The grammar police just arrived and want to commend you or your lack of education and suggest you enlist the help of anyone over the age of 10 that can spell and write. Or perhaps you are a graduate of the Regents program and just showing the rest of us up.

You should have written "...anyone over the age of ten who can spell and write...".

Numbers of one or two between one and ninety-nine should always be written out.

"That" refers to objects. "Who" refers to people.

Irregardless, you should ax Fitzgibbons about it because he went to Harverd.

Edited by Bills99999

Rex Ryan has not been able to get a Top-5 pick (Gholston) on the playing field. I don't understand how you believe he would have done wonders with Maybin.

Tomlin and Dick Lebeaus defense becomes very average when POlamalu cannot play.

I keep seeing guys we passed playing great football. We took Maybin. We chose not to take Oher, Matthews, Orakpo, Cushing. Those guys were all being considered. They were all passed for a guy who can't even play football. The others have been studs. There's no excuse for the drafting of these idiots. We chose Losman over Polamalu. Pittsburgh keeps taking guys like Pouncey. What about New England with Mankin? The list goes on and on. It's hard to get worked up about the draft any more. Even Spiller over Bulaga was a joke.

He is very explosive..no denying that, he was only 21 when drafted...very raw so there is still time before he becomes an absolute bust. A very bad draft pick..cant argue with that either. I dont see him putting his hand down and becoming a effective DE, once an NFL olinemen puts a hand on him he his like the Magna Carta....history..Linebacker is new for him but he has shown absolutely nothing, cant provide pressure and is lost in coverage, he cant even use his speed to be on kickoff or punt coverage. I really hate the praise you put on coaches...Billicek inherited a superbowl contending Parcells team and accidentally found Tom Brady (count the championships since he was busted for spygate..its 0).. Tomlin almost the same scenario from Cowher taking over with a franchise QB and arguably the best D in football. Rex Ryan was handed a very good defense and one of the best olines in football. Fisher? the guy has put together as many average seasons as any coach out there, Granted they all can manage a game better than some of the disasters we have had, Williams, Mularky, and Jauron.

BB did not in inherit a Parcell's suberbowl contending team. Parcell's left in 1995 and BB was not hired until 2000.

He inherited a declining 8-8 team from Pete Carrol and run by an idiot GM named Bobby Grier, that was stuffed with overpaid under performing players. He was over the cap and cut a lot of veteran players with high salaries. He did not even have a 1st round choice that year. The best thing he did that year was to eliminate Bobby Grier. He went 5 - 10 that year and built a team with smart choices and good FA pickups.

Edited by dogbyte

I keep seeing guys we passed playing great football. We took Maybin. We chose not to take Oher, Matthews, Orakpo, Cushing. Those guys were all being considered. They were all passed for a guy who can't even play football. The others have been studs. There's no excuse for the drafting of these idiots. We chose Losman over Polamalu. Pittsburgh keeps taking guys like Pouncey. What about New England with Mankin? The list goes on and on. It's hard to get worked up about the draft any more. Even Spiller over Bulaga was a joke.

Brudda?

I'd love to feel more optimistic with Nix/Whaley/Gailey

Then I think... Kelsay extension? Cornell Green?

I'm assuming you meant 10 tackles a season?