FA - Donte Or Asomaugha

T master

Donte wants to get paid like a top safety or CB in the league with out top stats & production , Asomaugha is the top in the league & a FA this year .

Would you bring him in the fold & spend elite money for a FA for a year or 2 ??

And

Let Donte go ??

Would you try to keep Donte for what he's worth ??

Or

Look to the draft to get a younger top flight player for less money & more years ???

I think Donte is as good as gone. Wilson, Byrd, and Scott is a good safety core. I think they need to focus on signing Wilson. He is arguably better than Donte and certaintly more flexible with better ball skills.

It takes 10 mill+ a season to sign Asomugha, I'd pass.

If someone could coach McKelvin up to be a good CB, leaving return duties to CJ or Freddie, and you sign Florence the CBs are set. Then if McGee can get healthy it's only a bonus.

So signing Florence and Wilson would be priorities for me.

Edited by Why So Serious?

I think Donte is as good as gone. Wilson, Byrd, and Scott is a good safety core. I think they need to focus on signing Wilson. He is arguably better than Donte and certaintly more flexible with better ball skills.

If someone could coach McKelvin up to be a good CB, leaving return duties to CJ or Freddie, and you sign Florence the CBs are set. Then if McGee can get healthy it's only a bonus.

I wouldn't pay #&%# for safety. Unless You're the second coming of Ed Reed...

Frankly, I'd sign Asomaugha. I'd love to have a CB that can provide blanket man coverage. It would really open up our defensive options and seems to be a big part of the formula for beating the Pats (ala the Jets). Yes, he'll be expensive, but frankly so is drafting a DB in the top 3 rounds every other year hoping one will become even 60% of the player he is. We need to invest those draft picks in more big men.

I don't think Youbouty or Corner are really ready to start on a winning team. We have a significant talent issue growing in our secondary. I don't buy for a minute stats that indicate we had a decent secondary this year, and I think without intervention it's getting worse quickly.

If we can sign Asomaugha for 3 or more years, I'd do it, even for 9+ Million per year. For 2 years, it might not be worth it since this year is still going to be transitional (and disrupted) and I think next year the team should really be coming together if "the plan" is working.

I'm not advocating keeping Whitner (especially at $7mm/year), but to say 1. that the three guys we'd have left would be just as good; and 2. that Wilson is better than Whitner is kind of ridiculous. Wilson looks better as a sub because teams don't game plan for his weaknesses because he's not guaranteed to be in the game much. He's got ball skills, but he's not natural in coverage at all. He's a great backup, first off the bench safety and would probably be better suited to taking Byrd's role as centerfielder than playing against the run (where I think last year he overtook Bryd as the worst run-defender of the group). Bryan Scott is a good backup, but, as so many posters like to say, he would not be starting for a playoff team. Neither would Wilson for that matter; he'd be the first off the bench backup. If Whitner goes, like it or not, we're going to draft a safety or sign a safety to big money.

I don't like the idea of taking any DB at our pick in round 1, but I could see it happening in round 2 or 3 if the right player is there - someone who can play the run from the SS position. It would also helpt o get a guy in that positoin who could cover the TE, but I don't know if that would work better than getting a pass rush that forces the offense to leave in extra blockers to protect.

I'm not advocating keeping Whitner (especially at $7mm/year), but to say 1. that the three guys we'd have left would be just as good; and 2. that Wilson is better than Whitner is kind of ridiculous. Wilson looks better as a sub because teams don't game plan for his weaknesses because he's not guaranteed to be in the game much. He's got ball skills, but he's not natural in coverage at all. He's a great backup, first off the bench safety and would probably be better suited to taking Byrd's role as centerfielder than playing against the run (where I think last year he overtook Bryd as the worst run-defender of the group). Bryan Scott is a good backup, but, as so many posters like to say, he would not be starting for a playoff team. Neither would Wilson for that matter; he'd be the first off the bench backup. If Whitner goes, like it or not, we're going to draft a safety or sign a safety to big money.

I don't like the idea of taking any DB at our pick in round 1, but I could see it happening in round 2 or 3 if the right player is there - someone who can play the run from the SS position. It would also helpt o get a guy in that positoin who could cover the TE, but I don't know if that would work better than getting a pass rush that forces the offense to leave in extra blockers to protect.

The Same was said about Jim Leonhard. George Wilson is a good safety that can play Free and Strong and a better tackler than you're giving him credit.

I am A-OK with a Wilson - Byrd tandem and Scott coming off the bench.

Check out Wilson's production 2 years ago when he had to start for Whitner the year Byrd made all the int's (his rookie year) Wilson was a beast !! & still is !!

I'd rather pay 9 mill a yr for Ngata who might be free.

Not happening. Baltimore has made it known he isn't going anywhere.

I think cromartie is our best chance at getting a free agent CB. His relationship with Merriman and buddy are the reason, assuming their relationship was positive.

Please let this not happen. He is one of the most detestable players in the league IMO.

Not sure what to say about Whitner. I think it's hard to evaluate a safety who plays on a terrible defense. After all, isn't his job to be the "safety" net when the D breaks down? And if the D is always breaking down, it's kind of hard for a safety to be thinking about pass coverage.

Aaaanyway, he's probably gone because he wants too much $$$

I love when people say they don't want to spend X dollars on a given free agent.

I guess they just don't have any real clue about how the NFL salary cap works, or how close the Bills are to the cap. The Bills could drop 10MM+/year on both Asomaugha and Ngata and have plenty of money left.

It's moot, though, because those are both good players and neither would ever want to come to Buffalo.

Donte wants to get paid like a top safety or CB in the league with out top stats & production , Asomaugha is the top in the league & a FA this year .

And

Let Donte go ??

Or

Look to the draft to get a younger top flight player for less money & more years ???

I'd sign Nnamdi in a minute. He's got atleast 4 more good years probably @ 30 years old and he is a proven shut-down CB.

I love when people say they don't want to spend X dollars on a given free agent.

I guess they just don't have any real clue about how the NFL salary cap works, or how close the Bills are to the cap. The Bills could drop 10MM+/year on both Asomaugha and Ngata and have plenty of money left.

It's moot, though, because those are both good players and neither would ever want to come to Buffalo.

Explain it to us?

I'd rather pay 9 mill a yr for Ngata who might be free.

Double it.

The Same was said about Jim Leonhard. George Wilson is a good safety that can play Free and Strong and a better tackler than you're giving him credit.

I am A-OK with a Wilson - Byrd tandem and Scott coming off the bench.

I would prefer that. Wilson is much better than Whitner.

And

Let Donte go ??

Or

Last option, but I would take Asomaugna and it would be more than a year or two.

Seems like Whitner will be gone, and Florence and Youboty as well. The Bills will do what they always do: create more holes on a roster already lacking talent. McKelvin has not developed, and the Bills will be left with a weaker secondary after the departure of the three free agents.

There is no way the Bills will sign Asomaugha. I don't see the Bills spending big money on free agents in the near future (and probably longer).

One question I am wondering about is whether the Bills will (or want to) re-sign Poz.

If it was possible, I would sign Mankins and David Harris. This would weaken two of our AFC East rivals. I would then move Wood to center and draft a RT with our second round pick.

Amen...I would only add (take a CB with a 5th, 6th, or 7th round pick) for increased depth in the secondary. Otherwise, the secondary has a good core with or without Donte.

Amen...I would only add (take a CB with a 5th, 6th, or 7th round pick) for increased depth in the secondary. Otherwise, the secondary has a good core with or without Donte.

Kendrick Burney from North Carolina would fit that bill, not the fastest but always making play and picks. It's crazy how much talent is there would draft all our players from there and have a good draft.

I think our safety crew is fine. I don't think we need a huge "elite" safety. I'd rather spend that money on some studs up front. I'd prefer Donte stay, but obviously it needs to be at a realistic price. If he can't, I'm sure we can find another solid guy.