Wannstedt a Bill

Lou

He effectively IS the D coordinator. By naming him Assistant Head Coach, that means every call goes through him. Basically Edwards oversees the coaching of the defensive players, but we now have a check and balance in place for game planning and play calling.

Yes, the LB Coach part is lower than DC, but Assistant Head Coach trumps everyone except Chan.

We have our NEW DC!!! And he only has a bunch of Championships, Super Bowls and Playoff appearances under his belt!!

Edit: Also, so much for Ralph being too cheap!!

Exactly. Ralph is now essentially paying for 2 DCs.

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

But he does it on the Offensive side. As a matter of fact, he IS the Offensive play caller. NOT the Offensive Coordintor.

So why is it so far fetched that his good friend, and former Head Coach boss, wouldnt have the same role on the Defensive side of the ball? Even if Wanny isnt calling plays, his input WILL be utilized. All coaches discuss calls and decisions with their coordinators. This allows Chan to concentrate on his specialty and Wanny to oversee the D side.

Not too out there, IMO.

The second part I agree with totally. It's only you mentioning he will have the power of changing plays after they have been called in the middle of the game that I took issue with.

Sure I'll take the bait. No I am not a manager. What would make you wonder if I am a manager?

By the way. One of the points that I made that I think was overlooked is this: Why would the Bills offer Lebeau a job as a defensive coordinator when he was already employed by the Bills as an assistant head coach?

We had LeBeau, but ended up sticking with Col. Klink!

Maybe not so fast...Tim Graham reports, it is not a done deal just yet....

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6045017

Hopefully, it is just a formality...

That was what Adam Schefter reported early in the day. He has since updated it on twitter.

"Sounds like Dave Wannstedt's deal in Buffalo will get done, as FOX reported. But Wannstedt, Bills HC Chan Gailey still finalizing deal now."

From my man in Pittsburgh, a walking sports almanac:

"Your defense will be vanilla with 2 deep man under and rare blitzing. But he usually finds badass lineman to get pressure. Lots of pressure on the corners to hold up in man to man."

This sounds EXACTLY like the Jets formula to beat the Pats last weekend...

This is the part I find the most interesting. His historical defensive philosophy doesn't seem to coordinate well with what the Bills have stated they're trying to achieve. I like Wannstedt philosophy and what it produced in Dallas and Miami, but I'm old. It was cutting edge back in the 90s. It doesn't seem to be the way of the new NFL. Today the trend is towards a 3-4 with multiple fronts and exotic blitzes. Wannstedt has a ton of experience though and his presence can only help the defense.

Great publicity stunt by the Bills. That ought to be good for 5,000 season tix.

Let me see... George Edwards is the DC. But, his superior is the Asst. HC and LB coach. Hey George, sounds like you just got busted to shift supervisor and you answer to the Asst. Foreman.

Bills look totally lost. First thee switch to the 3-4. Oops, Buddy and Chan forget, we don't have the talent (or coaching) to make that switch. Well, now that we're halfway there and suck, how about let's go somewhere in between and we'll call it the "hybrid". The fans will buy that term hook, line and sinker and believe they are getting the best of both defenses and that the Bills will be successful with it. So, the season plays out and everyone knows Edwards is in over his head. So, let's bring in Dick LeBeau like we did in 03. Oops, we get Wanny now instead of LeBeau as a consultant? Fricking Wanny? He knows squat about the 3-4. Oh, wait. The Bills are going back to the 4-3. Brilliant. Meanwhile, the Bills still do not have the big three inside or any outside rushing presence. Oh, I get it, our 260 lb. outside LB Merriman will be a high motor DE in the 4-3.

Oh what fun it is being a Bills fan. One step forward, two steps backward.

Which defense do they run again? It's not a 43 and not a 34 with layers who are not scheme diverse (Kelsay, Merriman, even K. Williams) and a guy who's now Asst HC with LB duties? Sure, he's a name guy, but it's evident they don't know what they are anymore. Best part of it is Wannstedt's a 43 guy, and they've already spent considerable resources (D. Edwards, Troup, Carrington) who were taken with the idea of being in a base 34.

If your toe is on the trigger, then please step forward.

The new civility on display here.

I like the hire, now we need a good draft and some good free agents to sign.

When's the last time that front office had either one? And we're hoping for both to happen in the same off-season, with the latter only happening when a CBA is reached.

Dr. if i am naive but happy going into my death, i consider that to be much better than very aware and angry. Right or wrong or somewhere in between, dont care too much.

I want to think that the team is currently showing a new and interesting trend. They have shown that a different and somewhat energetic effort is being applied to Our team. I have been recently upbeat about the way Chan has the team headed. As i have mentioned, this year should prove to be very interesting indeed. The start and finish of this past year and all the things in between has generated alot of interest. Good and bad, and some badder than that. But now we come to the offseason where all things are possible! Alot of us want to go in with positive energy and hope for the next season. Thats what fans do i hear.

So if we are a little or Alot delusional let us have our fun while we can.

To the rest of us, I have been reading about this about our new Stache since 1100 am at work and just got home to post.

I am nothing but excited about this. Been watching since the visit. Did some homework all week and Voila!

However we utilize the fellow he should be an asset for sure. We need to get a lot of players which will take a while and alot of skill by FO. Define our schemes as we attain players.

But this move reinforces that something good might be going on.

Lets Go Bills!!

By the way Trooth we want you to come along, it might be a nice ride

Edited by 3rdand12

^ lol

^^lol 2. Hey i know this chick. And she tells me she doing these 3 guys from Harvard.

I am late to the festival but i am very happy that we have this particular addition of a stache. he might make the whole crew a little better.

:thumbsup: Great news. (Now, we just need some mustachioed emoticons!)

Never doubted for a second that Wanny would sign with Buffalo and reunite with Gailey.

Now, if DW has any input into the Bills draft, look for the Bills to end up with Pitt DE Greg Romues in the mid-to-late rounds - Romeus was a favorite of Wanny's at Pitt and a round one prospect until he tore his ACL...

Romeus - NFL Draft Scout Profile

19 and 0 baby!!! B-)

GO BILLSSS!!!!

Fear the stache!!!! :beer:

Glad you were right and I was not. :worthy: