Wannstedt a Bill

Lou

Like many of you, I really wonder how much influence will Wanny have on the defense. Remember when Dick Lebeau was hired mid season as assistant head coach for the bills and Gray was the defensive coordinator. If memory serves me correct, Gray still made the defensive calls. In fact, I don't remember the defense changing much at all. At the conclusion of that season, Lebeau was offered the defensive coordinator job (supposedley a downgrade from being an assistant head coach) and he turned it down to become a defensive coordinator with the steelers.

LeBeau said he preferred the coaching environment in Pittsburgh to what he had experienced in Buffalo. He's not an idiot.

As much as I wish different, I think an assistant head coach is nothing more than tittle to not insult Wanny. He may make more than Edwards etc, but at the end of the day, it will be Edwards who will be responsible for defensive game planning with heavy input from Wanny. Don't expect to see many new wrinkles in the defense.

You're not a manager, are you?

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A couple of things....

- Can the naysayers take just a brief second moment of pause now? The front office knew they have a weakness at the DC position.....and they addressed it with a guy that knows defense. Much the same way they knew last year that they had a weakness at the OC position...and brought someone in who knows offense.

- Do not be fooled by the title...this is for Edwards to save face. For all intensive purposes Dave IS THE DC.

I dont know all the makings and reason for the deal, the one thing I do know is that for him to be taken somewhere else it has to be at a higher position. So with the Assistant head coach on his title, the only way he can go up is head coach. It could be a way to keep him for his contract. If he were just Linebacker coach he could leave early for a DC job, but he cannot leave for that if he is Assistant HC. He is only allowed to go up.

This is an excellent move for our team IMO. DW knows how to coach defense, Super Bowl winning defenses, and will get our defense atleast in position to succeed. We actually got something right for once.

Perhaps I over estimated the strength of his statement. I think it means exactly what it sounds like. He will have a role and responsibility of being an assistant head coach. What does that mean? He will not be an assistant positional coach. He will not be an assistant coordinator. He will be an assistant head coach. EVERYONE reports to the head coach. Wanny will assist in overseeing coaching the entire team presumably with a focus on defense.

Instead of seeing this as barely more than a title I see it as Wanny having a lot of input to the defensive COORDINATOR as an assistant HEAD COACH. I very much imagine his role will be similar to what Gailey's is with the offense. To be honest I can never remember the name of our offensive coordinator because it is Gailey's show. To be clear. I am not saying Wanny will be making the calls or all things go through him like Gailey. I am saying he will be heavily involved in game planning, film study, scheming, etc. He will help to oversee the defense and he will specifically focus on the position that is our worst on defense. LB.

Makes perfect sense to me.

I highly doubt he'll function as an "assistant HC". Why would we need one, especially from a guy who has failed twice as a HC in the past. In addition, being an AHC, theoretically he should have some input on the offensive side of the ball. Why in the world would Wannstedt be giving advice on the offense when he is a defensive mastermind? No, he was brough in, not to "focus" on the defensive side, but to help run the defense and only the defense. Besides, what other title would you have given him? Assitent LB coach? We already have a LB coach, so he couldn't get that title. HE would have to an assitant LB coach. No, that would be quite a demotion with a lot less salary attached to it.

And besides, with this title he is not likely to leave the Bills in the future. HE will only be able to make a lateral move. Thus, if a team wants to poach him, they'll either have to make him assistant HC or HC outright. That's not likely to happen.

- Do not be fooled by the title...this is for Edwards to save face. For all intensive purposes Dave IS THE DC.

Absolutely right. Or, he is the DC when we are running the 4-3 or a variant of it.

Edited by kas23

I dont know all the makings and reason for the deal, the one thing I do know is that for him to be taken somewhere else it has to be at a higher position. So with the Assistant head coach on his title, the only way he can go up is head coach. It could be a way to keep him for his contract. If he were just Linebacker coach he could leave early for a DC job, but he cannot leave for that if he is Assistant HC. He is only allowed to go up.

Untrue. It only means other teams have to ask the Bills for permission to talk to him about a move. The Bills can decline permission to talk to him unless it is a higher position. I know nothing about the negotiations between the Bills and Wanny, and yet I would be willing to bet that the Bills told him we're not going to stand in your way if someone offers you a good job.

I cant believe Ralph didnt get this done a week ago. Our FO sucks and never does anything quick enough to get better!

:rolleyes:

:lol::worthy::lol:

I don't really get a LB coach being an assistant coach. It's like being a project manager at a job, having a VP for a boss but the project manager is also the special assistant to the CEO. It undermineds the VP. Not saying Edwards is the guy, but if that's going to be DW's role, then just get rid of Edwards. Sounds like it's going to be confusing for everyone. I like bringing on someone with experience, but this is just weird (I get it, you almost have to give that title to DW if he's going to join, but still...)

Wanny's job title is irrelevant. It's spelled M - E - N - T - O - R. There's no sense in bringing him here (or in him taking the job) unless he'll have a guiding hand in all things defensive. They'll work out the details, but whether he's calling defensive forms/plays etc. on a play by play basis borders on irrelevant.

Here we go baby!! Wanny signs on, Merriman signs on and opens up the lines of communication with other potential FA's, #3 overall pick soon to be on board....slowly the Bills are creeping back into relevance!

+1

per Tim Graham:

Buffalo Bills coach Chan Gailey's defensive coaching staff has gotten a lot better.

FoxSports.com senior writer Alex Marvez reports Dave Wannstedt will join Gailey's staff as assistant head coach and inside linebackers assistant.

The move is an offseason victory for the Bills, an organization that struggled to attract top free agents because they haven't reached the playoffs in a decade. Wannstedt becomes the biggest name to join the Bills as an assistant coach since future Hall of Famer Dick LeBeau served on Gregg Williams' defensive staff in 2003 or since Sam Wyche was quarterbacks coach under Mike Mularkey in 2004.

It will be interesting to see how big a voice Wannstedt has on defensive game planning.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/25305/bills-land-dave-wannstedt-as-assistant

Is that TG saying sumpin nice bout da Bills?

Another way to look at this is, it could be the best thing to happen to Edwards.

+1

A couple of things....

- Can the naysayers take just a brief second moment of pause now? The front office knew they have a weakness at the DC position.....and they addressed it with a guy that knows defense. Much the same way they knew last year that they had a weakness at the OC position...and brought someone in who knows offense.

How much you want to bet that opening day, George Edwards will be holding/examining that laminated chart and talking into the headset of the defensive signal caller on the field?

Untrue. It only means other teams have to ask the Bills for permission to talk to him about a move. The Bills can decline permission to talk to him unless it is a higher position. I know nothing about the negotiations between the Bills and Wanny, and yet I would be willing to bet that the Bills told him we're not going to stand in your way if someone offers you a good job.

That is what I ment, is that nobody can talk to him without permissions, just didnt say it right, but overall the bills can safegaurd him since they can say no to anything that is not a higher position.

Great publicity stunt by the Bills. That ought to be good for 5,000 season tix.

Let me see... George Edwards is the DC. But, his superior is the Asst. HC and LB coach. Hey George, sounds like you just got busted to shift supervisor and you answer to the Asst. Foreman.

Bills look totally lost. First thee switch to the 3-4. Oops, Buddy and Chan forget, we don't have the talent (or coaching) to make that switch. Well, now that we're halfway there and suck, how about let's go somewhere in between and we'll call it the "hybrid". The fans will buy that term hook, line and sinker and believe they are getting the best of both defenses and that the Bills will be successful with it. So, the season plays out and everyone knows Edwards is in over his head. So, let's bring in Dick LeBeau like we did in 03. Oops, we get Wanny now instead of LeBeau as a consultant? Fricking Wanny? He knows squat about the 3-4. Oh, wait. The Bills are going back to the 4-3. Brilliant. Meanwhile, the Bills still do not have the big three inside or any outside rushing presence. Oh, I get it, our 260 lb. outside LB Merriman will be a high motor DE in the 4-3.

Oh what fun it is being a Bills fan. One step forward, two steps backward.

It would be fun to hear your take on "Bills sign Tom Brady" I imagine that would really show how low and stupid the FA is.....Christ, get a grip!

First of all, I love this hire. I've said since Sept. that Edwards was in over his head as DC. DC was a major weakness on this team. This hire is further proof that the guys in charge may actually be able to recognize what needs to be fixed and then are actually trying to fix it. Quite refreshing, to say the least.

I don't think Wanny will really assume the DC responsibilities as such, but as per Gailey's comments a week or so ago when DW was here; I think he said something to the effect of wanting to make sure everyone would be able to work together and not let their egos get in the way. That tells me, at least, that there will be a good deal of sharing or ideas and working together between Edwards and DW. I think the final answer on all things defense will ultimately be Edwards, but he has someone with a lot of experience to help him. And if he doesn't let his ego get in the way, he'll take DW's advice more often than not.

Regarding the title of Asst. HC; could it be something as simple as a way to pay him properly? Many companies have pay scales for each title/position. Perhaps, the LBs coach carries a top salary much lower than what DW wanted. So, by adding Asst. HC to his title it opend the door for a higher pay scale. It's something accounting apartments often insist on. Pure speculation, but isn't that all anyone has?

Either way, I don't think it influences the pecking order of the coaching staff and who's responsible for what. Edwards, I think, will be the DC and the defensive decisions/calls will ultimately be on his shoulders. But, he has an experienced adviser from which to work with each and every day. And, as Chan suggested, he wanted to make sure both guys would work together in that capacity, first.

Edited by Dan

LeBeau said he preferred the coaching environment in Pittsburgh to what he had experienced in Buffalo. He's not an idiot.

You're not a manager, are you?

Sure I'll take the bait. No I am not a manager. What would make you wonder if I am a manager?

By the way. One of the points that I made that I think was overlooked is this: Why would the Bills offer Lebeau a job as a defensive coordinator when he was already employed by the Bills as an assistant head coach?

One of the points that I made that I think was overlooked is this: Why would the Bills offer Lebeau a job as a defensive coordinator when he was already employed by the Bills as an assistant head coach?

Because he wasn't getting along with Gray. He likely would have remained the Asst. Head Coach.