• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Does not compute.

Good Point.

I'll try again

Peterson is a bust. Busty Busty Bust. Like Dolly Parton size bust.

Stay away.

If you are vying for the Bills to make the mistake of taking a DB at #3, atleast go with Prince Amukamara.

That might make more sense.

Good news! Nice to see us hire someone with NFL experience. It is kind of weird that one of George Edwards' position coaches outranks him (Assistant Head Coach > Defensive Coordinator > Linebackers Coach), but hopefully they can make it work.

I don't think anybody stated that "everything goes through the assistant head coach" for the simple fact that that's his job title. They used a little bit of logic and realized that an Asst. HC who was a head coach for 10 seasons and a DC for 5 seasons may have a great deal more responsibility than an Asst. HC who's been little more than a STs coach for his entire NFL career.

Then why even bother with the Asst HC title? Just call him LB coach & Super VP Defensive Coordinator.

In this case, just as in April's case and Pitts' case, and anyone else with an Ass't HC title, it was done for NFL rules. No one knows what his real responsibility will be, and the Ass't HC title means squat in that regard.

From my man in Pittsburgh, a walking sports almanac:

"Your defense will be vanilla with 2 deep man under and rare blitzing. But he usually finds badass lineman to get pressure. Lots of pressure on the corners to hold up in man to man."

This sounds EXACTLY like the Jets formula to beat the Pats last weekend...

round#1- Fairley or Dareus

round#2- Marvin Austin (North Carolina DT who is tearing it up in the East-West Shrine game practices).

Good Point.

I'll try again

Stay away.

If you are vying for the Bills to make the mistake of taking a DB at #3, atleast go with Prince Amukamara.

Right, stay away from boobs. I don't get it.

Good Point.

I'll try again

Stay away.

Hey Nostradamus. what will happen to me 2 years from now? :rolleyes:

Then why even bother with the Asst HC title? Just call him LB coach & Super VP Defensive Coordinator.

In this case, just as in April's case and Pitts' case, and anyone else with an Ass't HC title, it was done for NFL rules. No one knows what his real responsibility will be, and the Ass't HC title means squat in that regard.

You really don't get this?

I didn't realize he was playing already...

Yes He has been playing for LSU since 2008.

Where do you think these players come from?

I use my two eyeballs to watch a few games and my brain doesn't think he will translate to a "shut down" corner. His footwork and hips are raw. He'd be better off playing Free Safety imo.

But Todd McShay and Kiper disagree with me. Todd McShay, the guy that though Aaron Maybin would was one of the best Defensive player in the 2009 draft and would be a great DE in the NFL. Where it was clear he was a bust from Day 1.

Edited by Why So Serious?

I don't think anybody stated that "everything goes through the assistant head coach" for the simple fact that that's his job title. They used a little bit of logic and realized that an Asst. HC who was a head coach for 10 seasons and a DC for 5 seasons may have a great deal more responsibility than an Asst. HC who's been little more than a STs coach for his entire NFL career.

Fair enough. We're all speculating. One thing that hasn't been mentioned is that Gailey is probably very comfortable with having a former HC in the NFL and college around on a day to day basis. There may be a few responsibilities that Gailey gives Wanny to relieve Chan of some HC duties so he can concentrate on his specialty, the offense. Gailey chose a lot of "teachers" as coaches because that is what he felt the Bills needed, and he was right. But he didn't have a lot of solid NFL experience on the staff. Having Wannstedt around could help a tad on both sides of the ball because things should run a little smoother, or Chan doesn't have to do everything the way some coaches do (and often deprives them of doing the stuff that got them the job in the first place). This really could prove to be a good hire. Players seem to really like Wannstedt, too.

Great move. I would like him to be def coordinator though.

We'll have to see what actually happens to know what's happening. IIRC, when Dick LeBeau came in, Jerry Gray was still the DC in name, but....

Excellent move. And what's equally as cool ... he chose Buffalo over other teams. Another step in the right direction.

Then again, those teams were Cleveland and Carolina.

He effectively IS the D coordinator. By naming him Assistant Head Coach, that means every call goes through him. Basically Edwards oversees the coaching of the defensive players, but we now have a check and balance in place for game planning and play calling.

Yes, the LB Coach part is lower than DC, but Assistant Head Coach trumps everyone except Chan.

We have our NEW DC!!! And he only has a bunch of Championships, Super Bowls and Playoff appearances under his belt!!

Edit: Also, so much for Ralph being too cheap!!

It's too early to say exactly what DW's role will be. I wouldn't assume anything based on a title. Remember that Bobby April was Asst HC in addition to ST duty... that didn't mean jack wrt his input in the offense or defense. As many teams define the role, it basically means that if Chan is out sick, DW acts as HC, and that others around there should respect his advice all the more. Not necessarily that he'll have a heightened input into play-calling, etc. Teams try to keep that very simple --- one guy calling plays. We'll see what shakes out.

Edited by UConn James

Good Point.

I'll try again

Stay away.

next to Bowers....prince akukamara is the most over rated player in draft.

Right, stay away from boobs. I don't get it.

How about these ones?

Peterson is a bust. Busty Busty Bust. Like Bill Belichick size bust.

Stay away.

I think I finally got it.

Yes He has been playing for LSU since 2008.

Where do you think these players come from?

I use my two eyeballs to watch a few games and my brain doesn't think he will translate to a "shut down" corner. His footwork and hips are raw. He'd be better off playing Free Safety imo.

But Todd McShay and Kiper disagree with me. Todd McShay, the guy that though Aaron Maybin would was one of the best Defensive player in the 2009 draft and would be a great DE in the NFL. Where it was clear he was a bust from Day 1.

My bad. I should have clarified about him playing in the NFL. I figured you would have assumed that's what I was saying. I just think it's ridiculous to call someone a bust when they haven't played a snap in the NFL yet.

And it's easy to call out the draft guys for missing on a high-profile prospect here or there. I'll still trust their judgment over the scouting you did over the course of a few games where it's very likely you missed intricate details will eating cheetos and grabbing a cold beer.

Edited by stony

per Tim Graham:

Buffalo Bills coach Chan Gailey's defensive coaching staff has gotten a lot better.

FoxSports.com senior writer Alex Marvez reports Dave Wannstedt will join Gailey's staff as assistant head coach and inside linebackers assistant.

The move is an offseason victory for the Bills, an organization that struggled to attract top free agents because they haven't reached the playoffs in a decade. Wannstedt becomes the biggest name to join the Bills as an assistant coach since future Hall of Famer Dick LeBeau served on Gregg Williams' defensive staff in 2003 or since Sam Wyche was quarterbacks coach under Mike Mularkey in 2004.

It will be interesting to see how big a voice Wannstedt has on defensive game planning.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/25305/bills-land-dave-wannstedt-as-assistant

Of course it's all conjecture. IMO, the days of Dave Wannstedt being a HC in the NFL have either passed him by, OR, the only way he is going to get another HC job in the NFL is through being a stellar DC again for two plus years, with playoff success. He's not going to get that being an Asst. Head Coach/LB coach on the Bills because if it happens (yeah, right) the kudos will go to Edwards, not Wannstedt. Gailey went out of his way to praise the job Edwards did after the season was over. It's very clear Gailey feels Edwards can do the job (whether he can or not remains to be seen).

Maybe he was trying to prop Edwards up in preparation for bringing in Wanny. If he hadn't propped him up and praised his work the DW hire would look like even more of an undermining of Edwards credibility and competence. I think the move was exactly what it appears to be. We bring in a former head coach of 2 NFL franchise and 1 college franchise who made his bones as a pretty good defensive coordinator. If Edwards fails, as some have said, we already have his replacement on the staff. DW's experience and contribution to defense should be VERY valuable.

The NFL is like many other industries. Employers try to squeeze the most they can out of their work force. Sometimes that answer is to get your employees to work harder. Sometimes the answer is more bodies to help do the job. This guy is a quality hire with plenty of experience and knowledge on the defensive side of the ball which has in my opinion been a huge glaring weakness for this team for years. It is only now that it is truly coming to light as by far our former #1 weakness was Edturds at QB. He wasted 4 years of my life.