Wannstedt a Bill

Lou

Man, it's clear that following this Bills team has flat-out mentally whipped some of you guys. The Bills FO just landed a big fish (pardon the pun) - a well-established, playoff proven, SB-winning defensive mind, and ya'll go on obsessing (with no inside info, mind you) over how George Edwards is going to remain the boss of the defense.

Can we not just take a breath and be happy that we landed an established coach to shore up the defense?

:beer:

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

All speculation, but you sure sound pretty confident - I'll give you that much.

Speculation to be sure but that is what makes by far the most sense to me.

Do you bring in a 3 time head coach to just handle the 7 LB on the team? This guy still has some defensive cred in the league. He has a wealth of experience and knowledge and it only seems sensible that he is being put in an AHC position to leverage those strengths. I think the AHC title ensures that his opinion is relevant and matters a LOT. The tile, and responsibility I assume he will have, means that he is not just some underling positional LB coach trying to tell the DC what to do. He is an assistant head coach not just an assistant TO the head coach.

A couple of things....

- Can the naysayers take just a brief second moment of pause now? The front office knew they have a weakness at the DC position.....and they addressed it with a guy that knows defense. Much the same way they knew last year that they had a weakness at the OC position...and brought someone in who knows offense.

- Do not be fooled by the title...this is for Edwards to save face. For all intensive purposes Dave IS THE DC.

Agreed.....

Edited by nucci

Man, it's clear that following this Bills team has flat-out mentally whipped some of you guys. The Bills FO just landed a big fish (pardon the pun) - a well-established, playoff proven, SB-winning defensive mind, and ya'll go on obsessing (with no inside info, mind you) over how George Edwards is going to remain the boss of the defense.

Can we not just take a breath and be happy that we landed an established coach to shore up the defense?

:beer:

Clearly no.

Because he wasn't getting along with Gray. He likely would have remained the Asst. Head Coach.

Thanks for the info, I didn't realize that he did not get along with Gray.

My take on the whole matter is this. I think Wanny's hiring will have two parts. One, he will give the most input/support to Edwards. However, Edwards will still have final say on what goes on the defensive side of the ball. Also, I think Wanny gives Gailey someone to bounce ideas off of as far as direction/strategy of the team. Remember Gailey once worked for Wanny and these guys worked together in Dalls (I think). Although Wanny is not an offensive coach, it doesn't mean he doesn't know about offense (see Bellichick). I think too often people pigeon whole coaches into thinking that they only know one side of the ball or the other.

Like many of you, I really wonder how much influence will Wanny have on the defense. Remember when Dick Lebeau was hired mid season as assistant head coach for the bills and Gray was the defensive coordinator. If memory serves me correct, Gray still made the defensive calls. In fact, I don't remember the defense changing much at all. At the conclusion of that season, Lebeau was offered the defensive coordinator job (supposedley a downgrade from being an assistant head coach) and he turned it down to become a defensive coordinator with the steelers.

So if being an assistant head coach is truly an upgrade, why would Lebeau (1) turn down the position to become a defensive coordinator at another team (2) why would the Bills offer Lebeau a defensive coordinator job after having him on staff an an assistant head coach.

As much as I wish different, I think an assistant head coach is nothing more than tittle to not insult Wanny. He may make more than Edwards etc, but at the end of the day, it will be Edwards who will be responsible for defensive game planning with heavy input from Wanny. Don't expect to see many new wrinkles in the defense.

Hrmmm....lets ponder this one. Work with the Bills as a DC....or go win a super bowl with the Steelers as a DC???? Which would you choose? Defensive coordinator is what he does. It would have made his role official. Doesn't the fact that Lebeau according to you was offered the DC job draw a parallel to what Wanny's future might be?

IMO, it will be nothing whatsoever like what Gailey does with the offense. Gailey runs the entire offense. He decides who starts, who plays, makes the game plans, and calls all plays, making every single important decision.

In all likelihood, Edwards will run the defense, decide who starts, who plays, make the game plans and call all defenses, with essential input and advice on each of them from Wannstedt.

One thing I was somewhat surprised to hear from Gailey after the season was that he left Edwards completely alone and didn't have much to do with the defense at all.

Good points that play right to my expectations. Gailey is busy running the offense and handling other matters. He doesn't have time to give the defense the focus that a head coach that isn't the offensive coordinator normally could. Edwards was left all alone and obviously struggled. These are the facts.

Now, enter DW to fill that role!!!! Coach up the defensive coordinator and give him direction, help him game plan like a head coach, who isn't the de facto OC, normally would. Again, speculation as another forum member already said but it seems to make a hell of a lot more sense than he is a glorified LB positional coach who they don't want to have stolen by another team.

I highly doubt he'll function as an "assistant HC". Why would we need one, especially from a guy who has failed twice as a HC in the past. In addition, being an AHC, theoretically he should have some input on the offensive side of the ball. Why in the world would Wannstedt be giving advice on the offense when he is a defensive mastermind? No, he was brough in, not to "focus" on the defensive side, but to help run the defense and only the defense. Besides, what other title would you have given him? Assitent LB coach? We already have a LB coach, so he couldn't get that title. HE would have to an assitant LB coach. No, that would be quite a demotion with a lot less salary attached to it.

And besides, with this title he is not likely to leave the Bills in the future. HE will only be able to make a lateral move. Thus, if a team wants to poach him, they'll either have to make him assistant HC or HC outright. That's not likely to happen.

Wanny will be doing the job that Gailey doesn't as a HC with the defense. As stated Gailey left Edwards to his own devices with the defense this season and he came up short....way short....enter DW.

I don't think anyone really knows what they discussed but 1) I seriously doubt this, and 2) just because he has the title Assistant Head Coach it doesn't at all mean that everything needs to go through him. Gailey is a straight shooter. He really likes Edwards as his DC (I don't but that's besides the point). There wasn't any way in hell a guy with Wannstedt's pedigree is going to come to any team to be a LB coach, they use the Assistant Head Coach title for his resume, his future jobs, to pay him a little more, and to show him respect. I would bet that he is more of a consultant than anything else, will coach the linebackers, and will help in all phases of the defense (game-planning, etc), with Edwards having final say in everything.

There is no way that Dave W. is going to come to a team where he does not have the final say on defensive situations when he could have a DC job with another team (and he could have)

I think Gaily DOES like Edwards and that is why he still has a job....but he is gonna be calling the defensive plays that Dave W. wants. He did NOT come here to throw in some input and be the linebackers coach he is too good for that and frankly a waste of talent.

Whatever. No one knows what the arrangement is, so this thread is 8 pages of speculation.

The important point is that the Bills now have 3 former DCs on their roster (Sanders, Edwards, Wanny) and 2 former HCs (Gailey, Wanny). For a young team that may get even younger, the importance of this cannot be overstated.

So a week ago, everyone here knew we blew the chance to sign Wannstache - but now everyone knows what his role will be??? :wacko:

Relax, it appears maybe the Bills front office isn't sleeping at the wheel.

Enjoy Dontay Moch in the Shrine Bowl tomorrow, and Carimi-Moffitt-Kendricks in next week's Senior Bowl, let the off-season and draft unfold, enjoy the playoffs, and know that next season we'll be in them.

GO BILLSSS!!!!

Fear the 'stache!!!!! B-)

Wow! It took 119 posts before this was mentioned.

PLAYOFFS!

I, like everyone else here, love this signing!

Could this mean the pick of Pederson at #3? If this guy is anything close to what they say (and reading your Pitt inf0 above), it would make sense to me.....Gotta admit, I was shocked by Merrimen and even more so by this. I honestly did not think in a million years he would sign here...

I think what this really means is a pass rusher on the D line......

What I am wondering is if it means a switch back to the 4-3......and seeing if Bowers falls to us.

Keep in mind that while Bowers is not a full time 3-4 DE.....he could be a superstar as a 4-3 guy....then our secondary which is ALREADY pretty darn good would flourish with a pass rush going on without having to blitz every down.

I am wondering if it switches the pick to Bowers

There is no way that Dave W. is going to come to a team where he does not have the final say on defensive situations when he could have a DC job with another team (and he could have)

I think Gaily DOES like Edwards and that is why he still has a job....but he is gonna be calling the defensive plays that Dave W. wants. He did NOT come here to throw in some input and be the linebackers coach he is too good for that and frankly a waste of talent.

1] Why would you say that? There were a few different teams with DC positions open, Wannstedt was called in for one interview only and they chose someone else, Dick Jauron, over him. IMO, there was zero chance he would have turned down a chance at a DC position anywhere in the league. They aren't easy to come by, and he has been away from the NFL for several years.

2] It's a recipe for disaster to have two guys with equal power and control. And even worse to have one guy (you're saying Wanny) with more control and power than the guy calling the plays (which will be Edwards). There is no way Gailey would let that happen.

Wanny took the job only after he knew he wasn't going to get the Cleveland job. The philly job is still open and he wasn't given an interview. This is a step down from a DC job but it's a very good place for Wanny to be right now as he tries to get back into the NFL. He hasn't been a DC in this league for about 20 years (although I am not altogether sure how much actual "coordinating" he did when he was a head coach. To me, Wanny always seemed to be like Jauron was, a manager of the whole team, with two coordinators running his offense and defense, but with a background in defense -- and NOT like a Gailey kind of coach who ran his specialty and let a coordinator completely run the other side of the ball. I don't know that for sure though.)

3] Again, you want to bet Edwards is calling all the defenses next year? ;)

1] Why would you say that? There were a few different teams with DC positions open, Wannstedt was called in for one interview only and they chose someone else, Dick Jauron, over him. IMO, there was zero chance he would have turned down a chance at a DC position anywhere in the league. They aren't easy to come by, and he has been away from the NFL for several years.

2] It's a recipe for disaster to have two guys with equal power and control. And even worse to have one guy (you're saying Wanny) with more control and power than the guy calling the plays (which will be Edwards). There is no way Gailey would let that happen.

Wanny took the job only after he knew he wasn't going to get the Cleveland job. The philly job is still open and he wasn't given an interview. This is a step down from a DC job but it's a very good place for Wanny to be right now as he tries to get back into the NFL. He hasn't been a DC in this league for about 20 years (although I am not altogether sure how much actual "coordinating" he did when he was a head coach. To me, Wanny always seemed to be like Jauron was, a manager of the whole team, with two coordinators running his offense and defense, but with a background in defense -- and NOT like a Gailey kind of coach who ran his specialty and let a coordinator completely run the other side of the ball. I don't know that for sure though.)

3] Again, you want to bet Edwards is calling all the defenses next year? ;)

Easy for you to say. Sounds like you are sitting in a lounge chair down in Florida!!! :lol:

Classic Bills fan self-loathing, Doc. Even when the Bills sign a big-name coach to deal with an obvious weakness, it is a reason to carp. Well played.

Do you honestly believe DW (or ANY defensive coach with his tenure) doesn't know squat about the 3/4? Do you think LeBeau or Philips don't know squat about the 4/3?

Just because experienced, successful coaches prefer scheming from a particular front DOESN'T mean they aren't intimately familiar with different fronts. They are.

It would be fun to hear your take on "Bills sign Tom Brady" I imagine that would really show how low and stupid the FA is.....Christ, get a grip!

Dudes... you are being played. You just don't realize it. You only need to remove the rose colored glasses you are wearing. So, don't vent on the messenger. Vent on the idiots at OBD. They are the true reason for your angst. Hey, 72-98 over the past 10 seasons, I kinda think the data is on my side dudes. And, allow me to extrapolate... The Bills ain't going to be much better next season.

Here's an illustration that you might be able to follow...

You have a house. The house has a bad foundation and a bad roof that's been leaking for the past 10 years. You decide to do a patch job on the foundation (Buddy and Chan) and forgo replacing the foundation because that's a huge, more complicated and expensive job. You've also been patching the holes in the roof, but leaks keep happening in different areas. So, you decide to replace a section of the roof (enter, your savior Wanny). Well, the rest of the roof is still bad and leaks will continue to happen. Meanwhile, your foundation foundation and roof are still bad and you continue to not address it.

Now, I don't know what you think Wanny's gonna do. Turn water into wine? Turn Maybin into a player? Right... The Peace Bridge is for sale for $100,000. Write this down somewhere... after next season (2 tops) Wanny will be gone and on to his next demolition project. And ya know what? The Bills still won't be in the playoffs.

I hope this translates into a top free agent LB thinking hard about Buffalo - David Harris, I am talking to you

That would be awesome. I've tabbed him as priority number one in this off-season. Of course, I'm already resigned to the fact he might be too expensive and doesn't fit into Buddy'd FA approach. This coupled with the fact there seems to be an inordinate amount of "Rex's players would take a bullet/follow him to hell" talk for their head coach of late. I don't see too many guys leaving there unless someone overpays big-time (Washington style). It'll all come down to whether or not he is in the Jets future with Holmes and Edwards FAs as well.

I'm hoping a higher round pick, even back into the 1st for a ILB, would be clutch. Hopefully this is where Wanny can help identify talent/have his voice heard.

Great publicity stunt by the Bills. That ought to be good for 5,000 season tix.

Let me see... George Edwards is the DC. But, his superior is the Asst. HC and LB coach. Hey George, sounds like you just got busted to shift supervisor and you answer to the Asst. Foreman.

Bills look totally lost. First thee switch to the 3-4. Oops, Buddy and Chan forget, we don't have the talent (or coaching) to make that switch. Well, now that we're halfway there and suck, how about let's go somewhere in between and we'll call it the "hybrid". The fans will buy that term hook, line and sinker and believe they are getting the best of both defenses and that the Bills will be successful with it. So, the season plays out and everyone knows Edwards is in over his head. So, let's bring in Dick LeBeau like we did in 03. Oops, we get Wanny now instead of LeBeau as a consultant? Fricking Wanny? He knows squat about the 3-4. Oh, wait. The Bills are going back to the 4-3. Brilliant. Meanwhile, the Bills still do not have the big three inside or any outside rushing presence. Oh, I get it, our 260 lb. outside LB Merriman will be a high motor DE in the 4-3.

Oh what fun it is being a Bills fan. One step forward, two steps backward.

What ..realistic.. move would you like to see this franchise make that you wouldn't label as a "publicity stunt"?

Wanny is a solid, experienced coaching hire that addresses one of, if not the greatest need on our coaching staff. He's not the savior of the team and I haven't seen anyone say that he is. But, I have seen quite a few people rightfully excited that the FO addressed a glaring weakness on the team.

How can you complain about the players they still have/haven't brought in yet? Seriously. I think you're just looking for reasons to complain. The season, like it or not, is still ongoing. Free agency hasn't started yet. The CBA is miles away from being settled. And you're upset they haven't revamped the defensive line yet? Look, I'll be right with you come August if no new players are brought in; but we're a long way from that. Until then, you're playing your cards entirely too soon.

Dudes... you are being played. You just don't realize it. You only need to remove the rose colored glasses you are wearing. So, don't vent on the messenger. Vent on the idiots at OBD. They are the true reason for your angst. Hey, 72-98 over the past 10 seasons, I kinda think the data is on my side dudes. And, allow me to extrapolate... The Bills ain't going to be much better next season.

Here's an illustration that you might be able to follow...

You have a house. The house has a bad foundation and a bad roof that's been leaking for the past 10 years. You decide to do a patch job on the foundation (Buddy and Chan) and forgo replacing the foundation because that's a huge, more complicated and expensive job. You've also been patching the holes in the roof, but leaks keep happening in different areas. So, you decide to replace a section of the roof (enter, your savior Wanny). Well, the rest of the roof is still bad and leaks will continue to happen. Meanwhile, your foundation foundation and roof are still bad and you continue to not address it.

Now, I don't know what you think Wanny's gonna do. Turn water into wine? Turn Maybin into a player? Right... The Peace Bridge is for sale for $100,000. Write this down somewhere... after next season (2 tops) Wanny will be gone and on to his next demolition project. And ya know what? The Bills still won't be in the playoffs.

:oops: Did someone miss the exit sign above the door? :censored: