Whitner coming un-hinged?

The Big Cat

So you agree with me, and then disagree with me immediately? :blink:

Did not agree with you, don't know what you are reading. :blink:

You do know that "Front 7" means DLine and LBs only, right? :blink:

Uh, you're the one who brought up front 7 :blink:

Yes, a SS in a 3-4 is "SUPPOSED" to have much more freedom to roam and make plays (like Polamalu). However, when there is no front 7 presence on the field, the Safeties are then forced to make the plays the Line and LBs SHOULD have been making. Which is partly why Whitner has so many tackles.

Polamalu is successful due in large part to how good Pitts Dline and LBs are. And the constant blitzing and pressure they put on QBs to get rid of the ball. All of that directly contributes to Polamalu being able to play the way he does. The Bills basically have the OPPOSITE of that.

Ok, so you said compare him to someone other than Polamalu, and now you are comparing him to Polamalu 2 minutes later. Nice. Whitner is a below average player, a mediocre tackler, plays tentative in traffic, and does not possess any playmaking ability whatsoever.

I love the people that say "If Donte was a 4th round pick, he wouldn't get all this negativity." Baloney. If Donte was a 4th round pick he would have been CUT long ago and we wouldn't have to put up with all this jock-hugging.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with just about everything said in this thread. I'm really disappointed in Whitner's incessant chest pumping and self-promotion. To me, his online behavior indicates weakness. I know this is in no way an original idea round these parts, but the reality as we perceive it does seem to contradict the reality Donte advocates via twitter. And so long as he's pleading to the fans he's doing himself a disservice. As we all know, perceived reality IS reality.

Shut up, Donte.

He's fragile. He's very fragile.

You said it yourself - no front presence. Why on earth are people backing a guy that can't make plays in a 3-4 defense - which is a defense that gives much more freedom to the SS? Losing Whitner does not create a hole, because Whitner is part of the hole on defense. I will miss his entertaining tweets though.

Then what does the first sentence of your first quoted post mean?

We have no Front 7 presence. Therefore, our Secondary, ESPECIALLY the Safeties, are left hanging out to dry on almost every play.

What are we not understanding from each other?

Hey Donte, because you seem to know what the fans ask for, I hope u read this. MAN THE F*CK UP! Stop acting like a b*tch! If you were that good the bills would have resigned you already, but they never said they weren't going to. Be a man and look at yourself and ask yourself do you deserve 7mill or whatever outrageous money you're asking for. Geez, what a a**hole! And yeah they ask you to play multi positions, but when they ask u to play yours, you f*cking can't! Get some nutzs and do your talking on the field! You f*cking cornball!

And again - why doesn't anyone think we can do better than Donte? I swear he must have allowed, on average, over a TD catch per game this year. Thats HORRIBLE

For me at least, it's not about whether or not we can do better than Donte; it's about creating a hole just to fill it again.

Donte is a good safety. Not great, not top 5, but plenty good enough to start. If you let him walk, you'll have to replace him. OK, George Wilson but, then who's backup? You need depth. Right now, our secondary is set. Is it the best in the league? No. But, it's by far not the worst unit on the team. IMO, if you want to build a winning team, you leave the functioning pieces alone and concentrate on the areas (LB, DLine, TE) that are completely non-functioning.

Yeah, maybe Whitner wants too much money. My only question there would be does paying him $7mill/yr restrict you from signing the right players in other areas of need. As far under the cap as this team is, I'm not at all convinced paying him a few million more is going to hurt the team. Maybe give him some of Kelsay's money. Because if I had my choice.. I'd take Whitner on this team any day of the week over Kelsay. If anything, seeing Nix re-sign Kelsay and potentially letting Whitner walk, gives me great pause as to his abilities to evaluate the needs of this team and how to address them.

Hey Donte, because you seem to know what the fans ask for, I hope u read this. MAN THE F*CK UP! Stop acting like a b*tch! If you were that good the bills would have resigned you already, but they never said they weren't going to. Be a man and look at yourself and ask yourself do you deserve 7mill or whatever outrageous money you're asking for. Geez, what a a**hole! And yeah they ask you to play multi positions, but when they ask u to play yours, you f*cking can't! Get some nutzs and do your talking on the field! You f*cking cornball!

Perfect example of the embarrassing (for the fanbase) crap that he gets thrown at him on a 24/7 basis.

And we criticize HIS tweets? :bag:

Then what does the first sentence of your first quoted post mean?

We have no Front 7 presence. Therefore, our Secondary, ESPECIALLY the Safeties, are left hanging out to dry on almost every play.

What are we not understanding from each other?

It means I'd like to see him step up and make plays around the line of scrimmage (regardless of our poor front 7) rather than tackle running backs 15 yards down field. I don't think he understands the words "step up" though.

Look I don't want to argue this - you feel we need him, I think he's part of the problem.

It means I'd like to see him step up and make plays around the line of scrimmage (regardless of our poor front 7) rather than tackle running backs 15 yards down field. I don't think he understands the words "step up" though.

Look I don't want to argue this - you feel we need him, I think he's part of the problem.

Ok, so its his fault that he doesnt cover TEs well downfield, and its his fault that he doesnt get enough interceptions... But it's also his fault that he doesnt completely make up for our lack of DLine and LBs, and tackle running plays at the LOS?!?

WOW, the dude has no chance at winning with you guys...

Does anyone else see how completely irrational this point of view is, or am I just losing my mind?

Edited by DrDankenstein

Ok, so its his fault that he doesnt cover TEs well downfield, and its his fault that he doesnt get enough interceptions... But it's also his fault that he doesnt completely make up for our lack of DLine and LBs, and tackle every running play at the LOS?!?

Wow major hyperbole, c'mon now. How about this - if he did any one of those things you listed, just ONE, he would be decent. Pick one.

Ok, so its his fault that he doesnt cover TEs well downfield, and its his fault that he doesnt get enough interceptions... But it's also his fault that he doesnt completely make up for our lack of DLine and LBs, and tackle running plays at the LOS?!?

Does anyone else see how completely irrational this point of view is, or am I just losing my mind?

yes

Ok, so you said compare him to someone other than Polamalu, and now you are comparing him to Polamalu 2 minutes later. Nice. Whitner is a below average player, a mediocre tackler, plays tentative in traffic, and does not possess any playmaking ability whatsoever.

I love the people that say "If Donte was a 4th round pick, he wouldn't get all this negativity." Baloney. If Donte was a 4th round pick he would have been CUT long ago and we wouldn't have to put up with all this jock-hugging.

Nice post. The Lil Donte apologists in every Lil Donte thread can continue to desperately and frantically spin all they want, but the Bills would be better off on all levels if he was just GONE.

For me at least, it's not about whether or not we can do better than Donte; it's about creating a hole just to fill it again.

That my point! We HAVE A HOLE already with Whitner in there! We would be better by resigning GWilson or jsut letting Scott start.

Any olde undrafted rookie could come in and let a TE score on him every signle play.

Bold = yes

italics = no

Who claims its Whitners fault we have no LBs or DL? Whitner would still suck with better players at those positions. He cant cover anythign ever, so even if Kelsay wasnt on the team he still wouldnt be able to cover.

Nice post. The Lil Donte apologists in every Lil Donte thread can continue to desperately and frantically spin all they want, but the Bills would be better off on all levels if he was just GONE.

Even if this is true, which I don't believe it is, it is no reason to treat the man like crap. He is one of our own and some of the stuff that comes out of people's mouths(like qdawg in philly earlier) are just rude an uncalled for. It makes the rest of us decent fans look bad. I really don't like being lumped in with all the asses out there.

mornin' message to Buffalo Bills fans..."Be careful what u wish for!"...Good day

7:42am via Twitter for BlackBerry®

Alot of what I do/did kept our ENTIRE secondary together.....

7:53am via Twitter for BlackBerry®

Whitner--a hard hitting,tough little guy with poor hands,no big play ability,barely average coverage skills and slightly below average overall 'smart football instincts'. Let someone else overpay him;and save the $ for a free agent.

listending to donte whitner cry is almost as annoying as watching haloti ngata beat double teams and move his 350 pound frame all over the field yesterday while being reminded once again we passed on this guy for non-impact player donte whitner when the fans just wanted ngata!

listending to donte whitner cry is almost as annoying as watching haloti ngata beat double teams and move his 350 pound frame all over the field yesterday while being reminded once again we passed on this guy for non-impact player donte whitner when the fans just wanted ngata!

...and we should all continue to blame Donte for being drafted. Why couldn't he have just told the Bills when the called him that he didn't deserve to be drafted that high and respectfully hang up the phone? It's all his fault! <_<

...and we should all continue to blame Donte for being drafted. Why couldn't he have just told the Bills when the called him that he didn't deserve to be drafted that high and respectfully hang up the phone? It's all his fault! <_<

perhaps if he had a bit of humality it would make it easier to forgot that.....instead he has to carry on like he's actually delivered on his top 10 status when everyone but him and his agent knows that is a ridiculous joke

the guy thinks bills fans should be begging him to stay......he thinks he's a top safety in this league......it's laughable, he hasn't performed and is too dumb to realize it

Perfect example of the embarrassing (for the fanbase) crap that he gets thrown at him on a 24/7 basis.

And we criticize HIS tweets? :bag:

Yeah because he has no biz tweeting sh*t like that! I see it as being unprofessional. And what I posted isn't embarrassing sir, ITS THE TRUTH! If you're embarrassed, that's on you!

I am not a big Whitner fan, but I think that every Internet Tough Guy who calls him "Lil Donte" should take a step back and consider just how hard he would be crying for his mommy if Mr. Whitner were to confront him in person.

Sorry, but I would look down & laugh in the lil guy's face. :lol:

and IF he started something & kicked my ass, I would sue. ;):beer:

Yeah because he has no biz tweeting sh*t like that! I see it as being unprofessional. And what I posted isn't embarrassing sir, ITS THE TRUTH! If you're embarrassed, that's on you!

Isn't embarrassing? lets look at what you said.

"Hey Donte, because you seem to know what the fans ask for, I hope u read this. MAN THE F*CK UP! Stop acting like a b*tch! If you were that good the bills would have resigned you already, but they never said they weren't going to. Be a man and look at yourself and ask yourself do you deserve 7mill or whatever outrageous money you're asking for. Geez, what a a**hole! And yeah they ask you to play multi positions, but when they ask u to play yours, you f*cking can't! Get some nutzs and do your talking on the field! You f*cking cornball!"

Let's see. Stop acting like a B word yea, classy. Obviously you don't see anything wrong with those statements so it's really no use to try to convince you otherwise.

if you're reading daunte, most of us aren't like this and appreciate the effort you have given to the Bills.

I cant say he's wrong. I dont agree with him feeling he needs to defend himself to the "fans", but after 6 years of getting constantly hated on by a group of people you are busting your butt for... I imagine it can become frustrating.

He's right that he kept our Secondary together. Arguably the best part of our defense, Whitner has played any position theyve asked him to, and that has turned out to be EVERY position (SS, FS, CB). Most Strong Safeties wouldnt be able to do that. Has he played them all at a Pro Bowl level? Certainly not. But he never once complained about scheme or position or coaching or anything. He has been a good soldier for this organization and should be re-signed to a decent contract.

Now, I dont think he should get the $7-8mil a year he is probably asking for. But if this team is serious about building, you have to find ways to keep players like Whitner and then, worst case, look to add talent around him or replace him with better talent down the road. But you cant keep letting players walk or the cycle will be never ending.

I'm not sure who is more clueless about his abilities or contributions...Whitner or you...Either way, neither of you could be more wrong...It does not matter what Position he plays, or what they ask him to do...He excels at nothing, and he wants BIG TIME cash for it...He's an average NFL Player who was Drafted in the Top 10 and that throws his pay expectations WAY out-of-whack....Let someone else make the mistake...He's not even in the vicinity of being the player they Drafted him to be...Not even remotely close...Let him walk and move on...I swear I don't drink, but the day Whitner is gone and this Organization is washed clean of that MASSIVE mistake I'll tip a glass and make a toast...Cause it's gonna be one hell of a happy day for me...

Buh bye Lil Donte... B-)

I'm not sure who is more clueless about his abilities or contributions...Whitner or you...Either way, neither of you could be more wrong...It does not matter what Position he plays, or what they ask him to do...He excels at nothing, and he wants BIG TIME cash for it...He's an average NFL Player who was Drafted in the Top 10 and that throws his pay expectations WAY out-of-whack....Let someone else make the mistake...He's not even in the vicinity of being the player they Drafted him to be...Not even remotely close...Let him walk and move on...I swear I don't drink, but the day Whitner is gone and this Organization is washed clean of that MASSIVE mistake I'll tip a glass and make a toast...Cause it's gonna be one hell of a happy day for me...

Buh bye Lil Donte... B-)

:beer:

Just like we'd be better without Bledsoe, yet haven't had a winning season since he was here...? ;)

Just like we'd be better without Bledsoe, yet haven't had a winning season since he was here...? ;)

Fez, this is the absolutely FINAL opportunity I will give you to let yourself off the hook. Just publically admit that I was right and you were wrong about Bledsoe, & I will forget the bet.

I agree with just about everything said in this thread. I'm really disappointed in Whitner's incessant chest pumping and self-promotion. To me, his online behavior indicates weakness. I know this is in no way an original idea round these parts, but the reality as we perceive it does seem to contradict the reality Donte advocates via twitter. And so long as he's pleading to the fans he's doing himself a disservice. As we all know, perceived reality IS reality.

Shut up, Donte.

You can take that view of it. One could also take the view that fans who don't want to hear what Whitner has to say can stop going to his twitter page

or they can stop reposting the things he says there that irritates them so much. It cuts both ways. Just like you can come here and post what you

want he can post what he wants on his page. Maybe he perceives fans as being disrespectful and that has become cemented in his mind.

The reality is most fans probably couldn't care less what he says on Twitter or are willing to say what many people in this thread have said: He's an okay

player, seems to work hard and play hard. For the right price he should stay. If not, he can go and they will get someone else. Fewer fans act like cyber-gangsters

and talk a whole lot of mess they would never in two lifetimes say to the man's face because they know they are going too far. I can't blame a man for defending himself.

Someone probably tweeted him or sent him a message and he responded to it with those tweets.

Whitner's right. We don't always know everything. And sometimes what we think is the case is not the case. We don't call the defense or know everyone's responsibility within the particular call. No, he doesn't cover TE's well. That doesn't mean whenever a TE is running free and we see him in the picture that it was his coverage on a particular play. At the end of the day a defenders job is to try to stop the man with the ball regardless of whether it was his man or not.

Fez, this is the absolutely FINAL opportunity I will give you to let yourself off the hook. Just publically admit that I was right and you were wrong about Bledsoe, & I will forget the bet.

No way - I'm looking forward to cashing in my $50 next year! :D

What bothers me most about Donte's tweet is that he says "be careful what you wish for". Well, the last time I checked, we haven't made the playoffs the whole time Whitner played for the Bills, so please remind me what it is exactly we need to be careful about? What? Missing the playoffs--AGAIN!!?

Come on, Donte!!! We can miss the playoffs with or without you. You're an okay player, but you ain't worth the coin you're asking for. Plain and simple.

What bothers me most about Donte's tweet is that he says "be careful what you wish for". Well, the last time I checked, we haven't made the playoffs the whole time Whitner played for the Bills, so please remind me what it is exactly we need to be careful about? What? Missing the playoffs--AGAIN!!?

Come on, Donte!!! We can miss the playoffs with or without you. You're an okay player, but you ain't worth the coin you're asking for. Plain and simple.

I really do hope that Jauron convinces the Eagles sign to Whitner, and that they bring in Marv as their GM.

It's time for other teams to suck.

Edited by Bill from NYC

We once drafted Donte at 8,

He tweets us that he is just great.

But with the Bills luck,

Donte's play does just suck,

Til he leaves town, I can hardly wait.

Bye-bye 'Lil Donte!

Hmmm, don't quite agree. Let me try:

We once drafted Donte at 8

He tweets about how he is great

Donte's play doesn't suck

He wants paid by a truck

So I fear we must wish him "good luck!"

I cant say he's wrong. I dont agree with him feeling he needs to defend himself to the "fans", but after 6 years of getting constantly hated on by a group of people you are busting your butt for... I imagine it can become frustrating.

He's right that he kept our Secondary together. Arguably the best part of our defense, Whitner has played any position theyve asked him to, and that has turned out to be EVERY position (SS, FS, CB). Most Strong Safeties wouldnt be able to do that. Has he played them all at a Pro Bowl level? Certainly not. But he never once complained about scheme or position or coaching or anything. He has been a good soldier for this organization and should be re-signed to a decent contract.

Now, I dont think he should get the $7-8mil a year he is probably asking for. But if this team is serious about building, you have to find ways to keep players like Whitner and then, worst case, look to add talent around him or replace him with better talent down the road. But you cant keep letting players walk or the cycle will be never ending.

+1

Note: Donte there is no need to try to reason with some fans because some are ignorant to the day to day ways of pro football or they down right don't understand this is a business. You only have a small window to get paid and NFL contracts are not guaranteed,btw I don't think your at the point in your career to get top 5 dollars but I also don't know what this staff requires from your position. But you've definitely showed the leadership required and committment to this team and the city, so I hope you return and thank you for being a team player.