Character: Something this team is in desperate need of

Got_Wood

If you look past all of the draft talk, the stats, the measurables, the prototypical player for a position, and all of the other talk that goes on about the players before the NFL Draft... there are the intangibles. Players that possess an ability to lead men, to inspire the players around them, and win at all costs. These are the kinds of players the Bills need to bring in. And they don't come around very often.

We need character? No we don't we need better players. Unfortunately Cam Newton provides neither a better player or more character for this team.

Man...I feel like I am following you around the board today disagreeing with you. That isn't what I am doing. I do disagree that he doesn't bring character as the original poster defined character. I can however see that you do not like Newton. I got no problem with that. He does however have some of the character that the thread starter seeks. Look at everything around him this year and he led his team to the national championship. Did he have his best game last night? Nope. Did you watch all of his games this year? He had a great season during which they played Alabama and he was a monster in the second half after they got smacked down in the first half.

Edited by Chimp

Every dumb teenager that ever did anything stupid and regretful has no chance of EVER redeeming his character. Better that nobody ever give the kid another chance. I guess stealing a laptop is tantamount to murder and, GOD FORBID, a kid should EVER leave the school that recruited him to go find a better opportunity. Worst of all, his father being less than honest, means that the kid should be thrown on the scrap heap. He has NO chance of bettering his and other peoples' lives from now until the day he dies. The kids a bum.

World is full of glass house hypocrites.

GO BILLS!!!

Cam Newton is LACKING in CHARACHTER !!

Cam Newton was allegedly caught cheating multiple times at Florida and faced being expelled. Cam Newton allegedly put his name on another students paper, without that students knowledge; after Cam Newton was caught, he then allegedly passed in a paper he bought over the internet. The alleged cheating prompted a hearing in front of Floridas Student Conduct Committee in 2009. Newton allegedly didnt attend the hearing. Rather, Cam Newton transferred to Blinn College instead.

Newton found himself in some trouble while at Florida for stealing another student's laptop. A laptop he threw out of his dorm room window when the police were called.

A Mississippi State recruiter claims Cam Newton called him up “emotional” to tell tell him that he was “regretfully” going to Auburn. Why? The recruiter claims Cam Newton told him Cecil made the Auburn decision because “the money was too much.”

Cam Newton was allegedly caught cheating multiple times at Florida and faced being expelled. Cam Newton allegedly put his name on another student’s paper, without that student’s knowledge; after Cam Newton was caught, he then allegedly passed in a paper he bought over the internet. The alleged cheating prompted a hearing in front of Florida’s Student Conduct Committee in 2009. Newton allegedly didn’t attend the hearing. Rather, Cam Newton transferred to Blinn College instead.

Newton found himself in some trouble while at Florida for stealing another student's laptop. A laptop he threw out of his dorm room window when the police were called.

Papa...please provide a credible link to what transpired between Newton and Mississippi State.

Perhaps another element of character, this time in the form of toughness and grit. I wasn't all that impressed with Cam wincing in pain, limping around, and carrying on like he was playing on a broken foot or something. He got hurt during the game, not injured, SUCK IT UP!! You're leading your team in the National Championship game for christ's sake!! Lead by example and show some toughness.

My opinion of him changed greatly after last night. He may have all the athletic talent in the world, but I say no thanks on Cam.

What is the obsession on this board with "character" guys? Year after year everyone on here seems to want to bring in players that they can read feel good stories about instead of win football games. As someone else pointed out Newton is far from a "character" guy. I think he also proved last night that he's not a "franchise quarterback" guy either. Just say no to Cam Newton, the guy has disaster written all over him.

who the F cares about cam. People, unless you haven't realized, we have the #3 pick, not the 25th or 30th pick. Unless you guys plan on trading all the way down, and in doing so passing up on the likes of Fairley, Dareus, or Bowers, just to draft a QB who in all honestly does not translate well to the NFL, you're out of your F'ING MIND.

What is the obsession on this board with "character" guys? Year after year everyone on here seems to want to bring in players that they can read feel good stories about instead of win football games. As someone else pointed out Newton is far from a "character" guy. I think he also proved last night that he's not a "franchise quarterback" guy either. Just say no to Cam Newton, the guy has disaster written all over him.

Well said. Fairley appears to be a have a screw loose up there, but he'll help you win games on Sunday. That's all I care about.

Perhaps another element of character, this time in the form of toughness and grit. I wasn't all that impressed with Cam wincing in pain, limping around, and carrying on like he was playing on a broken foot or something. He got hurt during the game, not injured, SUCK IT UP!! You're leading your team in the National Championship game for christ's sake!! Lead by example and show some toughness.

My opinion of him changed greatly after last night. He may have all the athletic talent in the world, but I say no thanks on Cam.

Wow I just feel in love with a poster on the board. Seriously...thank you. I'm glad I'm not the only non-blind man on this board.

Edited by dayman

Many people have brought this up, including the media. But I don't get it. He didn't leave the field. He didn't give up. He took a BIG shot from the safety, sucked it up, and stayed in the game to lead his team to a victory.

Now I'm not even sure that Cam Newton is the best pick for us at #3. But I won't be upset if we do grab him. It would finally give me something to be excited about with this team. (And no I wasn't excited when we signed Terrell Owens.)

Hmmm......All Cam does is win, won in HS, won at JUCO and now wins the BCS! He speaks well (and is spoken well of by)of his teammates, coaches, school and family! Is he the guy the Bills should draft, I for one think we need his teammate on the other side of the ball, but oh I heard he is a dirty player, God forbid we draft a dirty player.....No let's just draft another high character, high motor player from, oh (fill in the blank).

His leadership wont mean as much when he is playing TE or wildcat in the NFL.

so true. project qb's like this never work out. you can make an argument for vick this year, but this is a very modest exception at the most. i just can't picture this guy leading us to a super bowl down the road. seems more like a gadget player to me.

if we were going to go the Cam route, we should've drafted Tebow last year. I know, Cam is a better pure passer (not by much though) than tebow, but Tebow craps on him in all other accounts.

Lets drop the Cam talk. We pick at 3, and it's not happening..unless he's there in the 2nd round.

Papa...please provide a credible link to what transpired between Newton and Mississippi State.

seeing as the NCAA themselves are NOT credible...i doubt anything but FBI and court documents would suffice:

The NCAA and FBI have taken notice of Cecil Newton

Please feel free to repost a portion of the article you pasted here along with a link. Thanks.

Edited by Beerball
copywrite infringement

Cam Newton was allegedly caught cheating multiple times at Florida and faced being expelled. Cam Newton allegedly put his name on another students paper, without that students knowledge; after Cam Newton was caught, he then allegedly passed in a paper he bought over the internet. The alleged cheating prompted a hearing in front of Floridas Student Conduct Committee in 2009. Newton allegedly didnt attend the hearing. Rather, Cam Newton transferred to Blinn College instead.

Oh really? The Mississippi State recruiter claimed all that? Now there's a shock, no chance he was outright lying due to a case of sour grapes, huh? And even if that cheating you are "allegedly" claiming Newton of doing is true, would he be the first student-athlete from Florida to try to get away with that??? Florida, with all of those amazing athletes that have played there the past 10 years and beyond, winning multiple National Championships lately, never had an instance of their players doing any type of "cheating" to stay on the field from week to week?? Surely you don't believe that, I hope. Maybe Newton wasn't mature enough for the big time in Florida when he transferred to the junior college, if that's what Binn College is. Or maybe he did get caught when others didn't. Whatever the reasons, he landed on his feet at another big time program and led Auburn to the National Championship this season, and he looks like a big Michael Vick out there. Imagine what Chan Gailey could do with that kid. If he's there at #3, I hope the Bills take the "risk" and draft him, because he sure the hell won't be still on the board in round 2. I predicted a team would draft Tim Tebow in the 1st round before last year's draft, and hoped the Bills would be that team. I got flamed pretty well, since the majority of experts on this board thought Tebow might go late in the draft, or perhaps not get drafted at all. Denver drafted him in the first round, and by the end of the season, he was their starting QB. Time will tell if he turns out as well as I think he will, but as for Newton, I'd be shocked if he made it past pick 10 in the first round, with the lousy QB's starting in the NFL today.

Some experts may accuse the Bills of "reaching" for a bad character player who is not polished enough a QB to deserve the #3 pick. B.S. I say, and drafting Newton would be a great move forward for Nix and Gailey, in my humble opinion.

allegedly is the key word

I don't have a dog in this fight, but my God, the guy was kicked out of FLORIDA!!! And he was the top recruit in the freaking country! I have nothing against Florida as an institution of higher learning, but the football program there has one goal and one goal only -- to win national championships. You've gotta to be a pretty bad apple to get kicked out of there with that kind of rep. They don't take the decision to say adios to a blue chip recruit very lightly.

who the F cares about cam. People, unless you haven't realized, we have the #3 pick, not the 25th or 30th pick. Unless you guys plan on trading all the way down, and in doing so passing up on the likes of Fairley, Dareus, or Bowers, just to draft a QB who in all honestly does not translate well to the NFL, you're out of your F'ING MIND.

This is the post of the year. Spot on my man!

:lol:

it is clear you have zero concept of athletics or injury/being hurt. while an xray may reveal nothing, an xray rarely ever shows a stress fracture or any sort of tendon or ligament damage. i am not claiming that there was actual pain, or even excusing cam. just saying you take a negative xray of a foot, a limping cam, and the fact that you where a back up qb for ken-west, and all of a sudden you are doogey howser with ww2 medals re-living the big game against ken east.

i will say what i saw on the field was a really good athlete. he didnt make any nfl throws, no nfl reads, and dropped the ball(not literally) in a few key situations. i havent watched him play at all before tonight, so i am not sure what his normal game looks like. i know his numbers are decieving, especially with the amount of dump offs. i really wanted him to light it up. all he showed was he is athletic and deserves a shot in the nfl, just not with the 3rd pick.

I don't have a dog in this fight, but my God, the guy was kicked out of FLORIDA!!! And he was the top recruit in the freaking country! I have nothing against Florida as an institution of higher learning, but the football program there has one goal and one goal only -- to win national championships. You've gotta to be a pretty bad apple to get kicked out of there with that kind of rep. They don't take the decision to say adios to a blue chip recruit very lightly.

Yes, from what i understand about Florida's history you are spot on.

Maybe they are starting to develop scruples and Use Cam as an example 'Jk'

Are you kidding me? He clearly got hurt and never missed a play. And what a loser for only accounting for 329 yards & 2 tds to beat the number 2 team in the country for a national championship after a month layoff. :rolleyes:

Randy Moss was kicked out of FSU. Doug Gottelieb, former NCAA single season assist leader & current ESPN analyst, was kicked out of Notre Dame. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doug_Gottlieb

I know I sure as hell made a ton of mistakes when I was 19-20. Crazy part is that I learned from them to become what I believe is very successful member of society.

It's not where you start but rather where you finish. And the guy just completed one of the greatest individual seasons in college football history.

Edited by C.Biscuit97

Hey c'mon guys easy on the Florida bashing. But yeah, you are right...Urban gave a lot of people second chances but he, the AD, and the dean all worked together with Cam to get the transfer done.

ok no more. I mean no harm towards the kid.

Every dumb teenager that ever did anything stupid and regretful has no chance of EVER redeeming his character. Better that nobody ever give the kid another chance. I guess stealing a laptop is tantamount to murder and, GOD FORBID, a kid should EVER leave the school that recruited him to go find a better opportunity. Worst of all, his father being less than honest, means that the kid should be thrown on the scrap heap. He has NO chance of bettering his and other peoples' lives from now until the day he dies. The kids a bum.

GO BILLS!!!

+1,000,000

seeing as the NCAA themselves are NOT credible...i doubt anything but FBI and court documents would suffice:

let's add another example to his fine charachter......i'm sure he new nothing of this either (cough)

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/blog/dr_saturday/post/Despite-contrary-reports-Cecil-Newton-was-at-BC?urn=ncaaf-306263

It seems like we have been focusing on character for the last 10 years especially during the Levy era. Can we get back to focusing on talented football players. This team is in desperate need of talent no matter where it comes from. Until they come up with a good character Superbowl, we need to focus on talent. It seems as though the majority of the bloggers feel that no one is good enough to be a Bill. When the fact of the matter is just about every player out there 1st, 2nd, or 3rd team is good enough to be a Bill. Lets get some talent in here.

Did you reallyjust post a story from TMZ in response to a request to provide something credible? hahahahahaha. That's awesome.

Also, TMZ is the ONLY news outlet to report this fantasy that was invented on a message board and it's bs.

The fact is the there is an FBI investigation but it's target is Kenny Rogers. You're also correct about an NCAA investigation but they are investigating Miss. State as to why they continued to recruit a student-athlete after receiving a solicitation for benefits by Kenny Rogers allegedly on behalf if Cecil Newton.

Also, the quote you are attributing to Cam about the money being too much at Auburn is from a completely discredited story by Joe Schad of ESPN. He's the guy that - just in the past month - also announced Mike Leach had accepted the job at Maryland (Randy Edsall is the new HC), Gus Malzahn has accepted the HC job at Vandy (Steve Franklin is the new HC there), Jon Gruden has been hired as the next HC at Miami (Al Golden is the new HC), and Les Miles would accept the HC job at UM if offered (Brady Hoke is their new HC) and who could forget the announcement that Bob Stoops HAD SIGNED A CONTRACT to become the next HC at Notre Damw?

Also, Schad's story used two anonymous sources which have since been revealed as Jody Wright, a current GA at Alabama and former Assoc. AD at Miss. St., , and Dan Mullen's wife Megan. Jody Wright told Schad that Megan Mullen told HIM that Cam said this. The NCAA looked into this the week of the UGA game and interviewed both Wright and Mullen. Mullen said she never heard Cam say anything like that and would not corroborate Wright's story.

The NCAA looked into all of this stuff in July of 2010 and again when people at Alabama started pushing this story (GA's don't take it upon themselves to start leaking info to ESPN on their own) to ESPN and Urban Meyer started pushing it to his hero worshiping lap dogs at the NY Times (Thayer Evans of FoxSports used to work at the NY Times with the person he has been coordinating pieces with - Peter Thamell.).

Cam Newton absolutely did not know anything about this solicitation - Which is one of the main reasons he is eligible at AUBURN (He would not be eligible at Miss. St. since the solicitation took place there not at the school he enrolled at) and of there was ANY evidence to the contrary it would have been found by now.

So to be clear the argument you are making is that because his FATHER has character issues we should not draft a once in a generation QB?

Gotcha.

GO BILLS!!!

I think everyone deserves a 2nd chance.

As far as the Bills go, I'd like to see more than one year of quality program play with no personal "smoke" from Cam before annointing him a once-in-a-decade, can't miss, high 1st round pick with great leadership and character and all that stuff. He's played great 1 year.

Maybin played great 1 year.

Like to exaggerate much?

LOL, BravinSeattle. I actually like Cams personality I don't think he's really a bad guy but I love when people defend the things he's done saying they didn't happen and they need what they call "proof." Can't prove what Cam knew at a given time (but you can use your common sense). UF doesn't release private academic info (but you can trust sources and look at the student hearing set for him). The police were there but I suppose you can't prove he stole that lap top (but he admitted he knew it was stolen). It goes on and on.

But yeah this all came from Dan Mullen's wife. That and Urban controlling the NY Times. :wallbash: :wallbash: (c'mon that is bull **** you'll say anything...you must be from Alabama).

It's all moot b/c the kid can't play NFL QB anyway. :flirt:

Edited by dayman

He was never kicked out of Florida. The source for that story - written by Thayer Evans (A reporter that was FIRED by the Houston Chronicle for fabricating a story about some extravagant party hosted by Texas for a bunch of recruits that didn't happen) is not exactly a journalist.

In fact - people familiar with the situation confirmed that Cam Newton had never been before the disciplinary board and was not in fact EVER facing expulsion.

Plus, I cheated on a paper when I was 17 I'm sure. I'd guess 90% of this board did as well.

Can anyone give me anything this kid (Not his father) has done since his days at UF that warrant labeling him a character risk? Kid has been a model citizen since he left there.

+1

:worthy::worthy::worthy:

You, sir, have a way with words.

I think it's possible Cam may be an NFL QB. But how often do you draft #3 and have the opportunity to pick up a real stud beast who can anchor your D for years?

LOL, BravinSeattle. I actually like Cams personality I don't think he's really a bad guy but I love when people defend the things he's done saying they didn't happen and they need what they call "proof." Can't prove what Cam knew at a given time (but you can use your common sense). UF doesn't release private academic info (but you can trust sources and look at the student hearing set for him). The police were there but I suppose you can't prove he stole that lap top (but he admitted he knew it was stolen). It goes on and on.

But yeah this all came from Dan Mullen's wife. That and Urban controlling the NY Times. :wallbash: :wallbash: (c'mon that is bull **** you'll say anything...you must be from Alabama).

It's all moot b/c the kid can't play NFL QB anyway. :flirt:

So you are admitting that there is any proof whatsoever other than you just KNOW he did something wrong? WTF? That's common sense? Maybe where you come from it is but in the world I live in I need a little more than a "hunch.

As far as the cheating goes he did cheat. My point is that NOBODY gives a sh*t. It happened when he was frosh and he's been a model citizen since. It is not accurate to say he EVER faced expulsion because he never did. Do you have a link to an on the record source that can provide the document that shows he was scheduled for a hearing? You can't and the reporter that's using this info is a reporter that has BEEN FIRED for lying about a story.

As far as the laptop that's pretty old news but again he's been a model citizen since his freshman year in college. I honestly could not possibly care less.

And if you don't know that all of this came from Megan Mullen then you really have no idea what's going with this whole story. That was confirmed by Sports Illustrated writer who also had all of this information but chose not to write about because as he put it "It was bs from people who had an axe to grind".

No one said Urban Meyer was controlling the NY Times. I stated the fact that Peter Thamell is Urban Meyer's go to guy in the print media (Shad and Schlabach are his guys at in TV at ESPN) and he coordinated his story with his very close friend Thayer Evans.

What about my username leads you to believe that I live in Alabama? Prolly that same crack detective work that's got you to the point where you don't need "proof" but just a good "hunch" in order to decide if someone has done something wrong.

If you're wondering how I know so many details on this situation it comes from a source in NCAA compliance.

You absolutely have ZERO idea what you are talking about and I do.

I think everyone deserves a 2nd chance.

As far as the Bills go, I'd like to see more than one year of quality program play with no personal "smoke" from Cam before annointing him a once-in-a-decade, can't miss, high 1st round pick with great leadership and character and all that stuff. He's played great 1 year.

Maybin played great 1 year.

Like to exaggerate much?

How many years did Michael Jordan do it at UNC?

And for the record to compare Aaron Maybin's year to arguably the greatest year by a QB in a generation (NCAA record for passing efficiency, over 4,000 yards of total offense, led the SEC in rushing as a QB) doesn't make alot of sense but

if Cam actually had a Madden-like season the year before when he won the JUCO national championship and had even better numbers.

To comprehend the season he had against the competition that he achieved it against makes it even more impressive.

Also, I didn't say he was can't miss. NO ONE is can't miss. He's also not once in a decade type talent. He is a once in a generation type player. Think Elway but much faster, more physical and with the moves of a tailback.

If you don't get that and dismiss it as simple exaggeration then I can't help you.

let's add another example to his fine charachter......i'm sure he new nothing of this either (cough)

http://rivals.yahoo....rn=ncaaf-306263

Don't you have to provide me something where he said he didn't know anything about his father coming if you are going to insinuate that he said he didn't know his father was coming and lied about it?

That article says the ATHLETIC DIRECTOR didn't know and he did not receive tickets from the University.

But again this is something his FATHER did and not Cam and in your warped belief system this apparently is an example of a character flaw in the son???

if we were going to go the Cam route, we should've drafted Tebow last year. I know, Cam is a better pure passer (not by much though) than tebow, but Tebow craps on him in all other accounts.

Lets drop the Cam talk. We pick at 3, and it's not happening..unless he's there in the 2nd round.

Tebow craps on Cam in all other accounts? Are you drunk? What statistics or metric are you using to determine that because NOTHING exists to support that opinion.

Well said. Fairley appears to be a have a screw loose up there, but he'll help you win games on Sunday. That's all I care about.

If Cam does come out he will be a top 5-10 pick after his combine and pro day performances. It also looks like Fairley is going to go no. 1 overall with Bowers going no. 2. I guess you could take CB Patrick Peterson (Who Cam humiliated on the run of the year vs LSU when he OUTRAN a Cb with 4.4 speed to the endzone - think about that btw). Like Olajuwon, he'll be a good player. I'd rather draft Michael Jordan, in this case he's Cam Newton.

So in other words, it is cam newton or die? Great :rolleyes:.

that is a pretty bold statement saying Cam newton is going to become a michael jordan figure in the NFL. I am not saying the kid is going to be a bust, but be a michael jordan type? That is just waaaay out there.

Not to mention, did cam newton even declare yet? I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't declare.