Jason LaCanfora on a rookie cap

Ramius

Just an FYI, LaCanfora was on the Rich Eisen show, and said that a rookie cap would be in place for the 2011 rookie class. He was discussing Luck (prior to luck staying at school) and said that Carolina would save 50 million taking Luck #1 in this year's draft as opposed to Bradford and Stafford in previous seasons because a rookie cap structure will be in play for this year's crop of rookies.

I'll be so relieved when a rookie cap is official. The players should get the same size slice of the pie they're getting now but they need to divert the outrageous rookie wages to the proven vets. Too many busts have set franchises back years and years. Glad it's coming to an end.

No kidding

:wallbash: I've been saying this for the past month, but does anybody believe me? No, but now Jason LaCan!@#$ingfora says so and all of the sudden it's news.

:wallbash: I tell ya I don't get no respect. :wallbash:

Beat ya to it!

Nov 5

The current CBA expires before the draft. Unless you are anticipating a strike or lockout there will be a new CBA in place before the draft--which will likely have a rookie cap.

Are you really going to make me go back and find my earliest reference? Why can't anyone appreciate me for what I am? :cry:

c'mere, buddy....hug it out

Perhaps knowing this is what encouraged Andrew Luck to stay in school and get more practice...

This, plus the potential for there to be no season and have to go the whole year without playing.

why? because he thinks 2012 wont have one or will be higher?

The difference in money wouldn't be a factor, or as large of one.

Edited by Ghost of Rob Johnson

Just an FYI, LaCanfora was on the Rich Eisen show, and said that a rookie cap would be in place for the 2011 rookie class. He was discussing Luck (prior to luck staying at school) and said that Carolina would save 50 million taking Luck #1 in this year's draft as opposed to Bradford and Stafford in previous seasons because a rookie cap structure will be in play for this year's crop of rookies.

who does he think he is kreskin?

he can only make that statement if there is a cba in place before the draft and he has no way of knowing that.

so i wouldn't put much stock into his comments. that leaves 90 plus days to get a new CBA when they couldnt reach one in the last year.

i feel they will reach a deal but to make a statement like this is very unprofessional because he has no idea that a new CBA will be in place before the draft.

Luck is also taking a major chance,he can always go back and get his degree. if there is no cba and he blows 60 million guaranteed he is going to look like a total id-ot next year when he gets 5 million instead of 60 million guaranteed.

it makes no sense to me but its a free country if it were me i would take the 6o million and he could be set for life and then go get his degree,(like after getting 60 million he would actually be getting a normal job when he retires from the NFL,yea right)

IMO its a absolute brain dead move by luck,who doesn't need 60 million dollars.

who does he think he is kreskin?

he can only make that statement if there is a cba in place before the draft and he has no way of knowing that.

so i wouldn't put much stock into his comments. that leaves 90 plus days to get a new CBA when they couldnt reach one in the last year.

i feel they will reach a deal but to make a statement like this is very unprofessional because he has no idea that a new CBA will be in place before the draft.

Luck is also taking a major chance,he can always go back and get his degree. if there is no cba and he blows 60 million guaranteed he is going to look like a total id-ot next year when he gets 5 million instead of 60 million guaranteed.

it makes no sense to me but its a free country if it were me i would take the 6o million and he could be set for life and then go get his degree,(like after getting 60 million he would actually be getting a normal job when he retires from the NFL,yea right)

IMO its a absolute brain dead move by luck,who doesn't need 60 million dollars.

No, it makes perfect sense. The 2011 draft will happen regardless if a new CBA is in place or not. If there is no CBA, none of the 2011 rookies will sign until a new CBA is agreed upon. And the new CBA will have a rookie cap.

A little naive on the legalities involved, but in theory rewarding great Nfl play will make for better Nfl players and better citizens.

Instead of... kids on the street who have a couple million bucks before 25 years old and can say that they played in the NFL for 3 years.

And the Men who played broken and injured for years and years and still excelled at the game would have gained their just rewards.

No, it makes perfect sense. The 2011 draft will happen regardless if a new CBA is in place or not. If there is no CBA, none of the 2011 rookies will sign until a new CBA is agreed upon. And the new CBA will have a rookie cap.

I think it depends on the terms of the deal. 2011 draft may or may not be covered by it depending on what both sides agree to, right? The players union could demand it start with 2012 forward.

Look I don't know what has gone on or if I'm crazy or what. But all the talk of the cap and Luck risking this money I've heard some people on the radio talk about b/c of the rookie cap is strange considering the commish. made a comment in season that whatever the agreement no college player should base a decision to come out early on it as it would not be in play for two drafts at least. Does anyone else remember hearing that?

Would this lower or raise the value of the top 10 picks? The argument can go both way. Why would teams spend the cash to pickup a player this year when next year the contracts for the 2012 rookies is going to be way less? But, it might bring more talent into the draft this year raising the picks value. Is there even football next year? :beer: Oh offseason....

I'm going to run with that! :thumbsup:

Would this lower or raise the value of the top 10 picks? The argument can go both way. Why would teams spend the cash to pickup a player this year when next year the contracts for the 2012 rookies is going to be way less? But, it might bring more talent into the draft this year raising the picks value. Is there even football next year? :beer: Oh offseason....

While it's not certain, it seems like there is a good chance that this year's draft will be included in a rookie cap.

Are you really going to make me go back and find my earliest reference? Why can't anyone appreciate me for what I am? :cry:

I appreciate you. I'll even treat you like a special person. That way we can avoid the apparent complex that you exhibit.

The NFLPA wants it both ways...ridiculous rookie contracts(especially those in the top half of the 1st round) and more money for the vets(higher salary cap, lower floor).

I don't care how much money the owners are making, they call the shots. If the players don't like it, walk away from the NFL and see what their other options are.

A rookie cap should be the one issue that both players and owners should agree on. That money should be going to vets and retired players with needs. Not to kids who haven't earned it.

PTR

:thumbsup: Long long over due .... it will be the end of non-players like Maybin holding out and creating angst for their future team's coaching staff and fans. Of course once Maybin arrived we realized that in his case it would be better if he was still holding out.

Since only very few players in the league were first round wonder-kids I can't see them objecting to the philosophy of you got to earn what you get paid. This will also end all the whining about whether certain owners are too cheap to pay their first round picks.

You get drafted ... here's what we pay in the NFL ... take it or get a job with your degree. Sounds reasonable to me and more like the working world we all live in.

The NFLPA and the players want a rookie cap.

They sent a proposal for an incentive based rookie payscale. Basically to eliminate Sam Bradford and Matt Ryan making more than Manning and Brady at the same time eliminating Chris Jihnson from making 400K on 2K yards.

I've said this for months it makes zero sense for the Owners to go through the process of locking players out, crying broke, then as soon as the ink on the CBA is dry go sign Nick Fairely for 60mil.

There will be some kind of payscale for rookies in 2011.

It could be deescalating. Where 2011, is 55mil, 2012, 50 mil, 2013 is 45 mil to get to whatever type of max they agree upon but no 2011 draftees will have the chance to beat Sam Bradford's contract.

BTW most rookie signing don't happen until June and July if there isn't a CBA by July that will be extremely worrisome.

Edited by Why So Serious?

They sent a proposal for an incentive based rookie payscale. Basically to eliminate Sam Bradford and Matt Ryan making more than Manning and Brady at the same time eliminating Chris Jihnson from making 400K on 2K yards.

Sounds like they want their cake and to eat it too. So, will they agree to have money taken away from them if they under-perform? :rolleyes:

Music to Ralph Wilson's ears. I can see it now Wilson celebrating with a cup of warm milk and oatmeal cookies.

Very funny!! I'm guessing that is in reference to his age? Because we can never get enough of that.

I think a rookie cap was one of the main reasons for re-opening the CBA. There won't be a season next year without one.

I've said this for months it makes zero sense for the Owners to go through the process of locking players out, crying broke, then as soon as the ink on the CBA is dry go sign Nick Fairely for 60mil.

There will be some kind of payscale for rookies in 2011.

It could be deescalating. Where 2011, is 55mil, 2012, 50 mil, 2013 is 45 mil to get to whatever type of max they agree upon but no 2011 draftees will have the chance to beat Sam Bradford's contract.

BTW most rookie signing don't happen until June and July if there isn't a CBA by July that will be extremely worrisome.

I also believe that in exchange for a rookie cap, the NFLPA wantsd shorter rookie deals, in the 3-4 year range. This way the players that play great can be up for their first big contract sooner.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Luck-staying-at-Stanford-a-reaction.html

As to the money, as I have mentioned many times, the rookies will be served up in the next CBA. Management thinks they make too much, veteran players think they make too much. They have no voice in this fight and will be sacrificed in the name of getting other things done.

Whereas last year’s top pick Sam Bradford made $50 million guaranteed with a contract that could reach $78 million, this year’s top pick could be limited to $15 million guaranteed with a contract that could barely reach $20 million.

Of course, everything is subject to negotiation and the negotiation could result in a new rookie system not being implemented until 2012, but I don’t think that will happen. Without an advocate, the rookies will suffer compared to past classes.

Did the pending rookie scale make a difference to Luck? Maybe, but my sense is it was not overriding.

I know Luck’s father Oliver – he was general manager of the Frankfurt Galaxy of the NFL’s World League when I held that position with the Barcelona Dragons – and how diligent he was in researching the pros and cons of this decision for Andrew. A lot of thought went into this, and – although I am biased – it is an admirable decision.

I also believe that in exchange for a rookie cap, the NFLPA wantsd shorter rookie deals, in the 3-4 year range. This way the players that play great can be up for their first big contract sooner.

Yep, and has mentioned above may also want the 3rd year of your class removed from eligibility requirements. I hope the can work out some sort of middleground, as I do not think the NBA model works great on all fronts.

On the no hold outs front..wow way better than what the NFL has.

But, guys come out to soon just so they can get that 3 year 1st contract out of the way, so when they hit their second contract, it is the same time they would have graduated anyway.Thats why there are so many misses in the NBA draft, drafting on pure potential rather than proven productivity. It's why one and done makes no sense.

I know things will prolly be different in NFL, but this not the panacea everybody thinks it will be. I guarantee under the proposed system, there will be more drafting of "one year wonders" like Mr. Maybin...wel now that i think about it maybe that evens the field for the Bills :wallbash:

Edited by plenzmd1

If there's a rookie salary cap put in place and it is way less money than the past few years, wouldn't the teams "reach" and gamble more on a player in the draft because the cap hit won't sting nearly as much?

Hey... if you're thinking risk/reward, the risk is way down from where it was. You might be able to take a chance on a Cam Newton at #1... or even a Fig Newton.