Okay Mallet, make me a believer

Virgil

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guys: it's kind of academic. Gailey prefers QBs who can move, not statuesque pocket passers. I HIGHLY doubt that Gailey and Nix consider Mallet a fit for what we're trying to do on offense.

You make an excellent point also noted by a WGR55 staffer who closely follows the draft. There is no doubt that Mallett has an impressive arm. But not being able to move around is a recipe for disaster in the NFL.

http://www.wgr550.com/BUSCAGLIA--Assessing-Ryan-Mallett-in-the-Sugar-Bow/8913437

You make an excellent point also noted by a WGR55 staffer who closely follows the draft. There is no doubt that Mallett has an impressive arm. But not being able to move around is a recipe for disaster in the NFL.

http://www.wgr550.com/BUSCAGLIA--Assessing-Ryan-Mallett-in-the-Sugar-Bow/8913437

Huh. Yes indeed, I hadn't seen that but he says almost the exact same thing.

I wasn't impressed last night. Forget the drops, last night was the perfect chance to show that he was a "champion". I didn't see him gutting it out. If anything, it seemed like the team relied more heavily on the running game. Ohio State was down to what.... their 5th string CBs and Arkansas still didn't seem to stretch the field much. I saw a ton of check downs and a waste of a cannon for an arm. My impression was that he wasn't a leader... or at least not an effective one.

I also saw enough of Pryor to know that I want nothing to do with him.

If we stay at 3 and Luck is gone, we should go DL.

After watching Cameron Heyward absolutely destroy a pretty good Arkansas OL, I think he has probably played himself back into R1. That was the best game I've seen out of a top DE prospect this year.

heyward made love look a turnstile a couple of times last night...with a good workout i could see him in the top 15. As for mallett he had pressure on him all night and still stuck in there and was making accurate throws. it also didn't help that his receivers were dropping balls he put right on the money. i think he would be a good pick as long as we address the rt position, get a tight end and run the ball to keep the pressure off him.

Mallett will go in the top 10 if not top 5. That arm will blow away scouts on the workouts. As for the interception at the end, go check the college records of Marino and Kelly etc. They all threw plenty of ints. His skills absolutely translate to the NFL. The question for the Bills is whether he helps

the team more than Bowers, Fairly or Dareus. Sounds like Chan is committed to Fitz.

As one of the biggest Anti-Mallets around, Mallet played the best game in his career last night, dating all the way back to his time at Michigan. He still looks like poop when under the slightest bit of pressure (how about the 3rd down on the first drive of the game when he stepped up to avoid an outside rush and just fell flat on his face without getting touched. I laughed.) That ball short hopped, aka “JP Losmaned” to the WR. If you haven’t seen a lot of Mallet that was easily the best he has ever played with me watching and I have watched 10ish games in his career.

But when he did have a lot of time he was very accurate, something he hasn’t been in his other games I have seen. Im still not sure which guy he was throwing to on that one dropped pass in the endzone and Im not sure if Mallet even knows which one he was aiming for. I have seen enough to know that I would prefer Newton 100 times over at # 3, and there would have to be nothing at the other positions to use a 2nd rounder on Mallet. Considering there should be some very solid DL/OL/TE/LB prospects at #35 mallet shouldn’t be in consideration their either. Id rather trade for Orton and sign VY and let those two battle Fitz then bank my future on Mallet.

heyward made love look a turnstile a couple of times last night...with a good workout i could see him in the top 15. As for mallett he had pressure on him all night and still stuck in there and was making accurate throws. it also didn't help that his receivers were dropping balls he put right on the money. i think he would be a good pick as long as we address the rt position, get a tight end and run the ball to keep the pressure off him.

Yeah, someone on here the other day said they wanted Demarcus Love over carimi. Carimi just dominated while Demarcus looked more like Courtney Love. Avoid that guy. As for mallett, I wouldn't be upset if they got him with their 2nd pick. He's no Andrew Luck, but who is? Bills blew that chance at history.

Guys: it's kind of academic. Gailey prefers QBs who can move, not statuesque pocket passers. I HIGHLY doubt that Gailey and Nix consider Mallet a fit for what we're trying to do on offense.

Actually that's what Gailey has inherited, not necessarily his preference (Aikman would be the exception).

Actually that's what Gailey has inherited, not necessarily his preference (Aikman would be the exception).

It's pretty well-documented that Gailey prefers mobile QBs.

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/article80986.ece

"I think at the end of the day he'd love to be a power running football team," Huard said. "That's what we tried to do in Miami. At the end of the day he'd also love a quarterback who's very mobile, which I wasn't, so I don't think I was one of his favorite quarterbacks. But he's got the flexibility in his system to adjust to what he has."

If you watched Mallett play against Alabama, then you know what to expect at the end of an important game- he is incapable of closing the deal.

Last night, he did the same exact thing... when his team needed him to make the throws required to win the game, he inexplicably falls flat on his face. Forget all the talk of mobility and reading defenses- if you cannot win the big game and fail consistently, then you won't make it in the NFL where most teams are built from the same schools like Alabama, Auburn, Ohio State, etc.

I have been wrong sometimes in the past regarding some draftees, but he is anti-clutch.

If you watched Mallett play against Alabama, then you know what to expect at the end of an important game- he is incapable of closing the deal.

Last night, he did the same exact thing... when his team needed him to make the throws required to win the game, he inexplicably falls flat on his face. Forget all the talk of mobility and reading defenses- if you cannot win the big game and fail consistently, then you won't make it in the NFL where most teams are built from the same schools like Alabama, Auburn, Ohio State, etc.

I have been wrong sometimes in the past regarding some draftees, but he is anti-clutch.

Agreed. Watched him choke too many big games at the end. You knew it was over when the guy for Arkansas didn't run the fumble in. To his credit, the Arkansas receivers KILLED him last night with the drops.

The guy has talent, but he's not ready for the NFL yet. He needs to sit on a good team's bench like Aaron Rodgers and learn. He's not a good fit for the Bills. 2nd-3rd round is where he should go.

It's pretty well-documented that Gailey prefers mobile QBs.

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/article80986.ece

"I think at the end of the day he'd love to be a power running football team," Huard said. "That's what we tried to do in Miami. At the end of the day he'd also love a quarterback who's very mobile, which I wasn't, so I don't think I was one of his favorite quarterbacks. But he's got the flexibility in his system to adjust to what he has."

Show me something from Gailey and I'll listen. Isn't it possible that Gailey didn't like Huard because he isn't a solid NFL QB? The most important thing he said was the last sentence you quoted.

His preference may be a 6'5" QB with great leadership ability, an outstanding football IQ, a rocket arm, amazing touch, the ability to slide in the pocket & the ability to pick up 20 yards on the ground at the drop of a hat...but, where's he going to find that guy?

At this point I wouldn't write off anybody for a single reason. Please don't read this as an endorsement or indictment of any specific QB. There is one in this draft who I would be comfortable drafting at #3 and he won't be available. Back on page 2 I said drafting Mallett would make me queasy. I haven't reached a queasiness quotient on Newton, but right now he'd have me closer to actual vomit (but not of the projectile variety). I'll let you know after Monday's game.

I only caught the second half of the game last night but I was not too impressed with Mallet. I had liked him before and really wanted him after watching the Arkansas/Alabama game early in the season. I do not think we will go this route.

In watching the game though, I was very impressed with Arkansas TE DJ Williams. He has very good hands and ran nice routes. His blocking has improved. I have seen rumors that the Bills might go TE early in the draft. If we do, I am betting this is the guy they are targeting.

That's funny...I had almost the opposite impression. While I wasn't overly impressed with Mallett, he really does throw a nice ball. I can't remember exactly how many balls were dropped by his receivers, but it was pretty ugly. One costly drop in particular was on the 1st or 2nd play of the game...it was a 20-30 yard frozen rope from Mallett that hit the receiver right on the hands...should have been a TD.

One negative I noticed about Mallett was that, when he was under pressure (which was most of the game), he tends to throw the ball off his back foot. Seems that he really isn't comfortable hanging in the pocket and making a good throw when he knows he's going to take a hit. Saw a few plays where his form was really ugly, and his passes on those plays went right to the receiver's shoe strings.

DJ Williams didn't really impress me at all. Granted, he did catch a TD pass, and showed great effort to get the ball into the end zone. He is undersized and a horrible blocker. He was often lined up on the left side to help the LT with Cam Heyward, and was thrown around like a rag doll. He might be a decent pass receiver and a good character guy, but IMO he has a long way to go before he is a good TE in the pro's.

BTW...Heyward was a beast last night. Buddy and Chan might want to take a long look at this guy, as he might be available when we pick in the 2nd round.

Well then, I guess you could say the same thing about Luck, if you watched him play against Oregon...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlpuXzS6tQ4

That one pretty much blew any chance Stanford had to win that game, to go undefeated, and to win a national championship. I'd definitely call that " anti-clutch ", no?

Just say no to Luck, I guess - right? :rolleyes:

Edited by The Senator

Isn't that true about any qb? Not trying to be a smartass.

Mallet had his chance to prove he was a gamer lastnight. He failed. If you noticed after he had his rahrah speech on the side line, the team never got another point. Just saying. I know he is trying to be a leader, but to me, you either have it or you dont.

What i took away most from that game is his ability to shift inside the pocket. He did not run around like Big Ben or Cam Newton etc. . . but he was able to avoid the rush.

You dont need an overly mobile QB in this league. You need one that can avoid a sack by sliding over in the pocket. Mallet did this very well. His stock is rising, bad thing for the Bills I can see someone like Minn taking him.

Well then, I guess you could say the same thing about Luck, if you watched him play against Oregon...

youtube.com/watch?v=SlpuXzS6tQ4

That one pretty much blew any chance Stanford had to win that game, to go undefeated, and to win a national championship. I'd definitely call that " anti-clutch ", no?

Just say no to Luck, I guess - right? :rolleyes:

its amazing to me how much some people believe guys should jump on every td pass and plummet with every interception. arkansas was clearly overmatched talent wise for most of their "big games" but because mallet didnt single handedly win all of the games despite dropped passes, pressure on him -- he blows. i heard someone takl about how luck didnt deserve his accolades because of that second half performance. these are 20 year old kids and there are going to be poor quarters and halves here and there. not every throw is going to be the perfect read, perfect accuracy, perfect zip...... why do we expect perfection out of our pick but not out of our current qb? i know hes playing at a higher level but has a lot more support and experience.

this thread hasnt been too bad about selling these guys down the river -- in fact its been a downright open friendly conversation for the most part, but in both fan and "expert" debates you see this notion that eating **** on a couple of throws means you cant be the qb of the future.

i dont think most have killed mallet for a couple of tough losses, but i think its fair to acknowledge some worries about his late game performances. that said, i see him winning none of the big games last year, and now a lot of them this year. his completion percentage jumped. his wins on the road jumped. hes shown a lot of growth, but i think the person that said a year or two on the bench would help is right. i would hope that it would help humble him, teach him the work that goes into being an nfl qb, and help him learn to use the INSANE measurable physical tools that he has at his disposal. he has a huge arm, a quick release, slides in the pocket acceptably - if we traded down a few spots and picked him up around 10th, i would be thrilled to let him sit behind fitz all year, and then let them fight it out the next season. the one thing that would hurt is a lockout stealing a lot of reps from young guys, as we wouldnt have minicamps, training camp, etc..... so it might be prudent to avoid projects this year.

Edited by NoSaint

No one is holding a gun to your head and forcing you stick around. Feel free to start your own forum with pages upon pages of threads on the same exact topic. See how liberating it is.

I see, as with most posts on this wasteland, you really didn't read what I said before responding. Again, duplicates die quick enough and are less annoying than big bro. Thanks for invitation. I had no idea and feel completely liberated.