Gailey not happy with Maybin

Maybin's position with team "tenuous"

http://blogs.buffalo....com/billboard/

Gotta love the guy. He and Nix shoot straight. He considers Whitner 'tenuous' as well.

"The right tackle, I’ll be honest with you, I thought Erik Pears played as well as you could expect the last game and a half he played for us.".

So, does this pointed remark mean the search is over at RT?

Is George Edwards even capable of running a multiple look scheme effectively?

every defense in the NFL is a multiple look defense. If he's not then he doesn't belong in the NFL.

Every defensive scheme has strengths and weaknesses, defenses change "schemes" like offenses change formations, to keep the other side guessing and off-kilter.

One might take a quick glance at the stat sheets and conclude that this particular message had been delivered to Maybin fairly consistently throughout the season.

The "tenuous" knock on Donte; however, is pretty dramatic for CoachSpeak®. That sounds more like "don't let the door hit ya on the way out" than typical negotiation posturing.

Edited by MRM33064

One might take a quick glance at the stat sheets and conclude that this particular message had been delivered to Maybin fairly consistently throughout the season.

The "tenuous" knock on Donte; however, is pretty dramatic for CoachSpeak®. That sounds more like "don't let the door hit ya on the way out" than typical negotiation posturing.

My impression was that he'd like to have him, but not at the price Whitner thinks he's worth.

You gotta be amazed at his candor. I never heard a coach lay it out like that. Remarkable. I do hope he doesn't think Pears is our answer at RT however.......

I don't think so. I think coach just meant the guy got tossed into the deep end with cinder blocks tied to each arm and he didn't instantly drown.

My impression was that he'd like to have him, but not at the price Whitner thinks he's worth.

The "worth" point is definitely true, and I sense Chan didn't love the timing of all the big money talk amidst a dicey season ... but that word "tenuous" is strong, especially when the exact same word was used to describe Maybin's situation a few seconds earlier ...

Meh, who knows. :)

Gailey on Maybin "He's on the outside looking in".

Also, defensive staff will remain intact next year.

Defense will probably run a multiple front system. I wonder how that will translate to the draft?

Edited by Kevin

Well, it certainly sounds from that like Maybin is gone, Whitner is most likely gone, and Bell is going to be the LT. So no high draft picks for a LT, it would seem.

I can't quite interpret what he meant concerning Pears, but my guess is that they are probably content to go into next year with the Pears/Wrotto combination. He thinks the offensive line will be much better next year, so I think they have enough young guys at this point in Wrotto, Pears, Rinehart, Urbik, etc that we probably won't be grabbing any offensive linemen before round 4 or 5.

As for the multiple defensive fronts...my interpretation: "We don't have good enough guys to play just a 3-4."

This all just makes me think we are going with defense, defense, and more defense with the draft.

Edited by Rubes

every defense in the NFL is a multiple look defense. If he's not then he doesn't belong in the NFL.

Every defensive scheme has strengths and weaknesses, defenses change "schemes" like offenses change formations, to keep the other side guessing and off-kilter.

thats not true. just like galiey said KC and cleveland are always in the 3/4 and i would add many more teams to that list.

if you have the personell to run a 3/4 then 99% of the time your in a 3/4. they may run variations of a 3/4 but they will always be in some form of a 3/4.

what galiey was saying was that the bills do not yet have the personnell to run a straight 3/4 thus they will be multiple in that they will be in a 4/3 sometimes and a 3/4 other times.

however what does our head coach know compared to you?

Defense will probably run a multiple front system. I wonder how that will translate to the draft?

I'm guessin' BPA and he'll fit 'em in.

Well, it certainly sounds from that like Maybin is gone, Whitner is most likely gone, and Bell is going to be the LT. So no high draft picks for a LT, it would seem.

I have to disagree with your take on Bell. "He did OK," is not a high endorsement at all. Gailey confirmed what some of us have said all along, Bell is weak and really needs to improve his conditioning and functional strength. CG is correct to commend Bell for gutting it through a whole season, but that's a long ways from a ringing endorsement. In fact, from the direction of his thoughts, I'd say Chan's primary concerns at present are the offensive line and linebackers. I'd be thinking the same thing in his shoes.

I'm guessin' BPA and he'll fit 'em in.

I think multiple fronts is the way to go. NE does it, the D line guys need to be rotated anyways so why not do it through multiple personel packages. It does allow you to draft the BPA on D and know that they will be on the field. If the Bills end up playing one front better than the other that formation will become the de facto D in time.

Edited by agardin

This is perfect reason why the GM and head coach shouldn't be the same guy. If gaily thinks Bell and Fitz are the answer and pears did good we are in trouble. Hopefully Nix isn't as emotionally involved as Chan and get the right guys in here and so we can be a 34 team. You can't flop back and fourth between when we don't even have the guys for a 34. We need pick one and run with it and occasionally use a different front to confuse the offense.

I think we’ll probably end up being a true multiple front team instead of a true 3-4 team just because our personnel dictates that. I think we’re probably a little bit better suited. I’ve not talked to the defensive staff about this, but just looking at it on the surface right now, I’d probably say we’re going to be multiple front

I guess in this he is referring to next year specifically? ie., they ran multiple fronts this year, and he thinks they will do the same next year - but that hasn't been verified/confirmed w/ the defensive staff yet?

This is perfect reason why the GM and head coach shouldn't be the same guy. If gaily thinks Bell and Fitz are the answer and pears did good we are in trouble. Hopefully Nix isn't as emotionally involved as Chan and get the right guys in here and so we can be a 34 team. You can't flop back and fourth between when we don't even have the guys for a 34. We need pick one and run with it and occasionally use a different front to confuse the offense.

It's amazing how people take thing like 'he had an OK' year and turn that into a ringing endorsement of a player. Is it reading comprehension? Willfull denial? Acid Trip?

I guess in this he is referring to next year specifically? ie., they ran multiple fronts this year, and he thinks they will do the same next year - but that hasn't been verified/confirmed w/ the defensive staff yet?

I am not sure what you are actually asking, but there's no (zero) reason to misunderstand that line as referring anything other than he hasn't talked to the defensive staff and evaluated the season and talked about next season.

Edited by jeremy2020

This:

I’ll be honest with you, I thought Erik Pears played as well as you could expect the last game and a half he played for us.
doesn't mean what you think it means.

Ugh.

I don't know.

I really hope Gailey isn't what Dick Jauron was to the offense with the defense.

Why don't we just pick a defense and stick with it?

But you are suggesting that Maybin has upside.... :wallbash:

What has he shown to warrant such a free pass?

Let me guess...you're also one of these 'Modrak is not responsible for our draft picks because he's being overruled in the war room on draft day (even though he's in charge of scouting ALL of the players we draft)' guys, right?

Maybin is as colossal a bust at this point as Mike Williams.

Defensive philosophy has NOTHING to do with suckitude.

I'm really happy for our new regime. We finally showed some offensive life and a coherent plan seems to be in place after a decade of ridiculously terrible everything. I'm glad Gailey has the guts to call Maybin out as the joke he is.

I only wish we had used that pick smarter on an Orakpo or Oher.

What a sad story Maybin is. It sounds like at least part of the situation is attitude related. I can't imagine a hard working player who is spending every day watching tape, practicing hard, etc. getting himself called out like that. 1st round draft picks never take kindly to being benched, so there probably is some animosity between player and coach anyways. I can't imagine Maybin took kindly to being benched, though clearly it was deserved.

I, admittedly, was high on Maybin after the draft, so I'll admit to being way wrong. But, do we know who has been responsible for some of these draft picks? I mean, you look at McCargo, Maybin....even McKelvin and Whitner to a large extent and you have to ask yourself, how has the scouting dept remained intact? Its mind boggling. The FO literally hasn't "hit" on a first round pick in about 15 years. Seriously. The best 1st rounder we have drafted in about 15 years, is probably Lee Evans or Nate Clements. And both of those players have been disappointments in their own ways.

Ugh.

I don't know.

I really hope Gailey isn't what Dick Jauron was to the offense with the defense.

I doubt it. The Bills definitely need to build their scheme around their personnel, I just wish they'd really focus on that instead of transitioning to a 3-4.

Gotta love the guy. He and Nix shoot straight. He considers Whitner 'tenuous' as well.

"The right tackle, I’ll be honest with you, I thought Erik Pears played as well as you could expect the last game and a half he played for us.".

I sure hope not.

What a sad story Maybin is. It sounds like at least part of the situation is attitude related. I can't imagine a hard working player who is spending every day watching tape, practicing hard, etc. getting himself called out like that. 1st round draft picks never take kindly to being benched, so there probably is some animosity between player and coach anyways. I can't imagine Maybin took kindly to being benched, though clearly it was deserved.

I, admittedly, was high on Maybin after the draft, so I'll admit to being way wrong. But, do we know who has been responsible for some of these draft picks? I mean, you look at McCargo, Maybin....even McKelvin and Whitner to a large extent and you have to ask yourself, how has the scouting dept remained intact? Its mind boggling. The FO literally hasn't "hit" on a first round pick in about 15 years. Seriously. The best 1st rounder we have drafted in about 15 years, is probably Lee Evans or Nate Clements. And both of those players have been disappointments in their own ways.

Wait for it....wait....listen...

...somewhere, tonight...a Bills fan is waking to the fact that Modrak and Co. have got to go.

Such a pleasant sound...

Ugh.

I don't know.

I think it would help if he had more talent to work with. Ten years of bad personnel decisions have made our roster a disaster.

Maybin's position with team "tenuous"

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/billboard/

That's coach speak for one more bad preseason, and he's outta here.

That would suck. Our defense has seriously gotten worst from last year. There are a lot of good defensive coach that will be available. If the Bills do not make a play for one of them, it would be more evidence they are not going to commit to what it takes to be succesful

Ugh.

I don't know.

?

Gailey chose the 3-4 when he started and, so far as I know, that is the defense they are trying to build. They don't have enough talent on that side of the ball, at least give them a season to construct the team. If the defense improves as much as the offense did this season, the Bills will be a very good team.

I doubt it. The Bills definitely need to build their scheme around their personnel, I just wish they'd really focus on that instead of transitioning to a 3-4.

I sure hope not.

Prior to this season, the biggest complaint about the defense was that we needed to switch to the 3-4!! It's only been one season, this was a pure rebuild, and next year should be at least 8-8, followed by a playoff appearance the year after. I believe that is the typical 3 year plan.

My interpretation is that you don't expect a whole lot from a RT who has only been on the team for three weeks.

Pick a defense and stick with it! It was bad enough they switched to a 3-4 this year after not finding enough players in FA and the draft to switch, now they are already saying they will go with a 3-4 and a 4-3 in 2011? How many offseasons does it take to put together an adequate 3-4 defense...where you can at least say this is our primary formation?

All Cooter & Co. had to do was go to a conventional 4-3, dumping Jauron's love of 220 lb LB'ers and 240 lb DE's and they would have been a hell of a lot better off than this train wreck of a defense they fielded in 2010.

Edited by LabattBlue

Pick a defense and stick with it! It was bad enough they switched to a 3-4 this year after not finding enough players in FA and the draft to switch, now they are already saying they will go with a 3-4 and a 4-3 in 2011? How many offseasons does it take to put together an adequate 3-4 defense...where you can at least say this is our primary formation?

All Cooter & Co. had to do was go to a conventional 4-3, dumping Jauron's love of 220 lb LB'ers and 240 lb DE's and they would have been a hell of a lot better off than this train wreck of a defense they fielded in 2010.

I know, c'mon right? I mean, look at an idiot like Bill Belicheck. He's constantly putting his best players on the field to specifically game plan for opposing offenses, and switching his defense, from 3-4 to 4-3 to 2-5, to 1-6. And what the hell does he have to show for it?

I find his wording of "talk to the defensive staff" weird. I just feel like most coaches would say, "but I haven't spoken with George about that yet and I need his input" Maybe he just forgot the name of his coordinator.