Marty talking about Buddy

bkc

You would take "solid RT" that either struggled or were flat out benched? I am just trying to understand that comment....are you just saying that they will end up being solid and better next year? That is a fair stance.

But I present to you that I think Troupe, Carrington, Easley, and Moates will all be better next year. Especially Troupe and Carrington who I saw flashes of doing good things (unlike Maybin who NEVER did anything to make a person feel that way) both of them possess the "country strong" strength to be able to play the position.

They are rookie RTs. They had their ups and downs and both of them finished the season extremely well. Davis was downright dominant the last few games. Yes, I would literally KILL for that right now.

I don't have a problem with the Troup/Carrington picks, other than the fact that they may have been drafted for a defensive scheme that has since been scrapped - it remains to be seen. I'm talking about the Spiller pick, and why it would've been better spent on someone who stands in front of the QB.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are rookie RTs. They had their ups and downs and both of them finished the season extremely well. Davis was downright dominant the last few games. Yes, I would literally KILL for that right now.

I don't have a problem with the Troup/Carrington picks, other than the fact that they may have been drafted for a defensive scheme that has since been scrapped - it remains to be seen. I'm talking about the Spiller pick, and why it would've been better spent on someone who stands in front of the QB.

Dominant is a bit strong. Bulaga is starting by attrition as well. They both wouldn't have upgraded our team more than Spiller. I think the jury is out on all three. Here's a few snippets from a recent article on Davis...

My link

Davis acknowledges his own first year has been humbling.

It was the worst game of the season for Davis, who has become a symbol of the 49ers' inconsistent offensive line.

Davis has six false starts this season. The only players with more are Baltimore's Michael Oher (eight), Indianapolis' Ryan Diem (eight), Minnesota's Phil Loadholt (seven) and Tennessee's Jake Scott (seven)

The 49ers are among the worst pass protectors in the league, according to the New York

Edited by stony

Dominant is a bit strong. Bulaga is starting by attrition as well. They both wouldn't have upgraded our team more than Spiller. I think the jury is out on all three. Here's a few snippets from a recent article on Davis...

My link

Davis acknowledges his own first year has been humbling.

It was the worst game of the season for Davis, who has become a symbol of the 49ers' inconsistent offensive line.

Davis has six false starts this season. The only players with more are Baltimore's Michael Oher (eight), Indianapolis' Ryan Diem (eight), Minnesota's Phil Loadholt (seven) and Tennessee's Jake Scott (seven)

The 49ers are among the worst pass protectors in the league, according to the New York

I love how players we didn't draft are all so amazingly awesome.

PTR

The contributions of all the late round draft picks and UDFA's suggest Modrak is a genius. Typically the head scout has the least say about early round picks, and the most for later picks and UDFAs. Is that how it works for the Bills? I don't know, and I would bet you don't, either.

The 2010 draft eligible class will be looked at as one of the deepest in a long, long time. There was much talent to be had for all and all around the league there are teams that are getting tremendous returns from mid-late picks and free agents. And the early rounds were loaded with impact too, check the Pro Bowl rosters. And this was to be anticipated, the general consensus was that this was going to be a strong draft class.

Unfortunately, the Bills didn't have a lot of picks and were inclined to pick for need because of their switch to a 3-4. There isn't really even one player from the Bills class that looks like a lock to be a good starter next season and that is where much of the disappointment comes from. Even the Maybin draft yielded obvious starters in Wood and Levitre. But there are a lot of players this past class with the potential to be good starters. In the end it's not inconceivable that there could be 6-8 starters from this one draft. Time will tell.

again anyone taking shots at the Spiller pick has to give a realistic name on who you wold have drafted at number 9

How about any one of these 5?

Anthony Davis

Mike Iupati

Jermaine Gresham

Bryan Bulaga

Dez Bryant

Any one of these would have been a better pick. I'll certainly crawfish if Spiller turns out to be good. But so far, as the #9 pick in the draft, he's not.

Was NOT impressed with his first draft - Why pick Spiller when the team is changing to a 3-4 defense and has been near the bottom or at the bottom in run defense for the past several years....plus several guys were learning new positions on defense (Kelsay, Stroud etc...)

I hope they draft what they NEED this time around.

Why not take Spiller? Their offense was near the bottom as well. Add no excitement and near the bottom. Spiller will pay off eventually.

Edited by purple haze

...He basically said no one is better at evaluating players then Buddy Nix....

Oh really? What about Scott Pioli, who built the 3 Pats SB's with Belicheck and now has turned the Chiefs around from garbage last season into AFC West Champs this year. I'm not saying Buddy is swiss cheese, and I agree some of the late rounders and free agents look pretty good so far, but Shotty's exagerating just a "bit" to say Buddy is the best at evaluating talent. I mean if that were true, no way would he have allowed Gailey to waste so much time on Trent Edwards which basically killed the Bills' offense until Fitzy was into the 9th game or so! Buddy should have cut Edwards his second day on the job, if he was that good at evaluating "talent".

I think you're taking this football thing a little too far.

Memory truly is a little rusty on this.....but didnt Brad Butler retire right before the season?

Carrington is not known for his pass rush....but is extremely raw. I actually love Troupe for both defenses because while he is a massive person he can actually play both......

Was NOT impressed with his first draft - Why pick Spiller when the team is changing to a 3-4 defense and has been near the bottom or at the bottom in run defense for the past several years....plus several guys were learning new positions on defense (Kelsay, Stroud etc...)

I hope they draft what they NEED this time around.

Buddy clearly stated that they wanted PLAYMAKERS for the team. They fel CJ was a playmaker and was the best available at that spot at that time. Sure we could have got a Mathews but that is 20/20.

Can all you Buddy Nix apologists explain the Chris Kelsay re-signing? 4 years and $24 million? I accept the excuses for the poor 2010 draft class production and the lack of big-name 2010 free agents, but the Kelsay contract is !@#$ing inexcusable. It reeks of the same foul stench that permeated Marv Levy's GM tenure.

This team needed (and needs) to look to the future in the draft, not just the next year. I believe Chan and Buddy felt he NEEDED an offensive player like Spiller for this offense to work effectively. It may not have been the biggest need for this season, but you have to look further ahead than that when you are rebuilding.

You can certainly argue Spiller wasn't the best choice, but your ideal of "need" seems far too narrow.

Whenever I read about the criticism Nix and Gailey get for drafting Spiller, the first thing that comes to mind is this: they knew they weren't going to be competing for the S.B. in 2010. Spiller - as well as guys like Carrington and Troupe - were drafted to give the Bills developed players at certain positions, not in 2010, but in 2011 or 2012, when we might be competing for the playoffs.

Spiller is obviously just as quick as we thought - he just needs to learn to run differently after the handoff, and learn to block a little better. I agree with another post, as well, and am excited to see what Nix and Gailey will do this offseason knowing better what they have already on their roster. Looking at some of the talent they've added up to now, the tail end of our roster will see some tougher cuts next year, especially places like WR and, I presume, after this offseason, the DL and maybe even LB corps.