We have our QB

coldstorage5

The one thing IMO that gets overlooked about Fitzy is the quality of the offense around him and how much better he makes it look. Our O-line immediately looked better when he took over. He's making rookie wide receivers look better. Once Fitzy has a seasoned O-line and receivers, I think that will cut down on his mistakes. But he'll always have some.

For those who say Fitzy isn't clutch, that throw to Stevie against Pittsburgh was as clutch as it gets. It was a perfect pass and shows Fitzy has "it". He is definitely the leader of this offense and deserves to stay there next season.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Winning the Super Bowl is all that matters. End of story. If you don't win the Super Bowl, you haven't won anything. I'm sorry, thinking otherwise is a loser mentality. And that's the mentality that has existed at OBD for far too long.

And yes, you're right about Washington, Minny and Seattle.

I would say more like half the league wished they had Fitz as their starter.....QB's that throw a touchdown every game are hard to come by.

I just dont understand why people are not willing to admit that Fitz is servicable enough for this team to win if our defense was good? He is gonna throw some picks because he's got guts......he is gonna also throw touchdowns because he's got guts. The players OBVIOUSLY beleive in him and we want to bring in a rookie and ask them to give that same respect.....really?

This team needs to be able to generate a consistant pass rush without blitzing every down.....that is where our first pick should go.

Wow, I'm not sure where to start.

1) Fitzpatrick has done a great service to this team. He has taken away the absolute need to get a QB right away. I think that is very valuable. It means we can approach the next two drafts trying to get great football players and make our roster into a more talented one to help build a strong team faster.

2) Fitzpatrick is not our QB of the future, but can be a successful bridge as we build, and help get us to a winning season, a playoff appearance, a playoff win. Very doubtful he is going to be a Super Bowl win. It is fun to cite the defense first Brad Johnson and Trent Dilfer wins, but the reality is since the Bills were playing in Super Bowls, those are the only two wins without a stud QB, and those were both with stud defenses. Fitz wants to try to turn into Kurt Warner if he is going to be a winner, not hope that we can win it all with an okay QB.

3) I love the passion behind the "multiple super bowl" comment, but that just isn't the case. We want to build a team that can compete for multiple Super Bowls, but I think we would all take winning one and competing year after year.

4) To whoever said we are 4 and 10, we are not. We were 0-8 last half season. This half season we are 4-2 trying to keep building. Otherwise just say we are 29-49 (the last five years) if you want to pick an arbitrary time frame ;). I am joking of course, but you really do need to be able to see past 4-10 and see 0-8 and 4-2 and understand the tale of two halves as we continue to build this thing.

4) All that said, if we don't draft a first round QB in the coming draft, we are fine. If we don't draft any QB we are fine. Chan knows what he wants from the position, Fitz gives him the opportunity to pick his guy even if he isn't ready yet, and take a year or two behind Fitz to get ready. So I see us taking a 2nd or 3rd rounder this year or next, unless a great 1st rounder falls to us. Giving up any value (trade the draft for Luck, etc) doesn't make sense for a team that needs to get better at a lot of positions.

I am a happier Bills fan right now since any point since we were 5-1 behind Trentative. Next week will be tough, but I'm excited to watch this team get better. We have taken some of the elite to OT, but this is the first time in a long time that we have beaten a playoff contender, a division rival, or had a road win against a solid team (last year's Peyton-less Indy doesn't count). Go Bills!

Enough skeptics, Fitz is our guy. Can thread the needle. Bright, String Tough, Inexpensive.

15 straight games with a td. Think about that stat.

21 tds 11 picks, not to shabbee.

Can run the ball. Mobile.

Played with how many different lines??

Full beard...

How cheap is he,.... The cheapest top 20 qb in the NFL. Use this qb money for other holes.

Stop with the draft qb nonsense. Why waste a top 8-10 pick on a qb when we have so many other holes to fill?

Plus, drafting qbs is a total crapshoot ( we all ready know this how many wasted picks since kelly, uhhh 3 #1's).

This is defensive filled draft. Get Lbs and d linemen.

Fitz has sold himself to this 30+ year Buffalo bills fan.

And then you woke up from your dream.. Dont let Ten years of terrible QB play let you forget that Fitz play is mediocre at best. There is no elephant in the room . Fitzy for all of his folksy charm still sucks . I wouldnt pay a stamp for any college QB non of them are proven......NONE OF THEM . MIKE VICK is the obvious choice; he is the last year of contract,Eagles paid Kevin Kolb staters money ,Vick is the 3rd rated passer( Yes Passer) in the NFL and he put fear in every Defense in the NFL. He has proven he can play(throw rockets)in the cold and when he escapes the rush, TOUCHDOWN. So the fans can make what ever case they want for substandard Fitz but the real QB that should lead the BILLS is VICK plain and simple.

And then you woke up from your dream.. Dont let Ten years of terrible QB play let you forget that Fitz play is mediocre at best. There is no elephant in the room . Fitzy for all of his folksy charm still sucks . I wouldnt pay a stamp for any college QB non of them are proven......NONE OF THEM . MIKE VICK is the obvious choice; he is the last year of contract,Eagles paid Kevin Kolb staters money ,Vick is the 3rd rated passer( Yes Passer) in the NFL and he put fear in every Defense in the NFL. He has proven he can play(throw rockets)in the cold and when he escapes the rush, TOUCHDOWN. So the fans can make what ever case they want for substandard Fitz but the real QB that should lead the BILLS is VICK plain and simple.

Make up your mind is he mediocre at best or does he suck? So you logic is that Fitz sucks because Vick is better? Do you really think we are somehow going to land Mike Vick?

The better question is what teams would rather have Fitz than their current starter.

Cleveland, Carolina, San Fran, Arizona, Miami ... maybe the Jets. That's about it.

Cincinatti, Minnesota, Houston, Tennessee, Seattle, Oakland and Dallas all come to mind, too. That''s almost half the league.

I think many Bills fans here seriously have a very warped view of the QB position. After watching 10 years of all-time great QBs Brady and Manning rip up a parity ridden NFL, they have this almost diva-like demand that nothing less than an all-time great will do.

It's comical reading some of this stuff contained in this thread. The Bills currently have a QB who's averaging 2 touchdowns a game. This is without a running game (which opposing defenses don't really have to account for in their game planning) and playing a schedule filled with the top ten defenses in the league.

Ryan Fitzpatrick is going to be the Bills "franchise" QB for the next 6 or more years. If the Bills ever do figure out their defense and get a running game going, there's a very good chance that Fitzpatrick will lead them to their first Superbowl win. He's not only very good, he's very smart. I see the Bills going with the Giants' model of a "franchise" QB. Is he a Brady or Manning? No. Is he a Phil Simms or Eli Manning? Absolutely.

It's time the divas around here start appreciating what they have in Ryan Fitzpatrick...23 TDs in 12 games isn't good enough for you dopes? Are you kidding me? Why don't you try becoming intelligent fans and look at what they need to do to get the run game going and to add some defensive playmakers instead of making silly comments and comparisons about Fitzpatrick. If they do those 2 things, I see the Bills winning one or even two Superbowls with this guy

I think many Bills fans here seriously have a very warped view of the QB position. After watching 10 years of all-time great QBs Brady and Manning rip up a parity ridden NFL, they have this almost diva-like demand that nothing less than an all-time great will do.

It's comical reading some of this stuff contained in this thread. The Bills currently have a QB who's averaging 2 touchdowns a game. This is without a running game (which opposing defenses don't really have to account for in their game planning) and playing a schedule filled with the top ten defenses in the league.

Ryan Fitzpatrick is going to be the Bills "franchise" QB for the next 6 or more years. If the Bills ever do figure out their defense and get a running game going, there's a very good chance that Fitzpatrick will lead them to their first Superbowl win. He's not only very good, he's very smart. I see the Bills going with the Giants' model of a "franchise" QB. Is he a Brady or Manning? No. Is he a Phil Simms or Eli Manning? Absolutely.

It's time the divas around here start appreciating what they have in Ryan Fitzpatrick...23 TDs in 12 games isn't good enough for you dopes? Are you kidding me? Why don't you try becoming intelligent fans and look at what they need to do to get the run game going and to add some defensive playmakers instead of making silly comments and comparisons about Fitzpatrick. If they do those 2 things, I see the Bills winning one or even two Superbowls with this guy

Bravo, totally agree. Fitz was the guy last year and he's still getting better. I don't think there's a smarter QB out there in terms of breaking down a D and knowing where to go with the ball. Can he always get it there, ala Brady? probably not...but he can more times than not. I also love that he takes chances and gives the WR's a chance to make a play. It WILL result in a few INTs but the rewards of a big play or TD so far have outweighed any negatives. The Bills can draft and groom a young backup but that person will not unseat Fitz for a long time.

I think it's mainly that they don't watch all these other QB's play, making multiple mistakes in EVERY game they play in (well other than Brady lately) ... Just looking at what Fitz has done for the O-line alone should tell a little about just how good he can be. He reads defenses... An art that has become progressively more difficult of late in the NFL. I think the other thing is that many fans look at W-L ... The Pittsburgh game should be the perfect example to all that Qb's don't win games. They certainly help, but teams win games. I always say it but all QB's all time are a combined 0-0 in reality.

Edited by 34-78-83

Bravo, totally agree. Fitz was the guy last year and he's still getting better. I don't think there's a smarter QB out there in terms of breaking down a D and knowing where to go with the ball. Can he always get it there, ala Brady? probably not...but he can more times than not. I also love that he takes chances and gives the WR's a chance to make a play. It WILL result in a few INTs but the rewards of a big play or TD so far have outweighed any negatives. The Bills can draft and groom a young backup but that person will not unseat Fitz for a long time.

This team totally reminds me of the years leading up to the pre-Superbowl Bills (minus the great Bruce Smith of course). I think that Spiller will become very good once we find the right mix on the offensive line. I'm so psyched at where this team is heading right now.

I think it's mainly that they don't watch all these other QB's play, making multiple mistakes in EVERY game they play in (well other than Brady lately) ... Just looking at what Fitz has done for the O-line alone should tell a little about just how good he can be. He reads defenses... An art that has become progressively more difficult of late in the NFL. I think the other thing is that many fans look at W-L ... The Pittsburgh game should be the perfect example to all that Qb's don't win games. They certainly help, but teams win games. I always say it but all QB's all time are a combined 0-0 in reality.

One thing that has hurt Fitzpatrick with fans buying into him is that he was always "branded" as a backup player ever since he was drafted. That's hard to shake off, but he's done that this year. It's clear that he's not only an NFL starter, but a very good and a very smart one.

It's too bad we didn't get him as a rookie (and had Chan as a head coach). I'm afraid he's coming into his own a little late, and like someone else said... he might be 30 by the time we play our next season.

That being said.

I effing love the guy. All guts, awesome beard. It's like the second coming of Doug Flutie, he's magical. :D

The better question is what teams would rather have Fitz than their current starter.

Cleveland, Carolina, San Fran, Arizona, Miami ... maybe the Jets. That's about it.

I don't know what each team's management thinks, but I think that Fitzpatrick is better than or the equivilant of....

Chad Henne (Miami)

Mark Sanchez (NY Jets)

Colt McCoy or Jake Delhomme (Cleveland)

Carson Palmer (Cincinnati)

David Garrard (Jacksonville)

Vince Young or Kerry Collins (Tennessee)

Matt Cassel (KC)

Kyle Orton (Denver)

Jason Campbell or Bruce Gradkowski (Oakland)

Donovan McNabb or Rez Grossman (Washington)

Matt Stafford (Detroit)

Brett Favre or Tarvaris Jackson (Minnesota)

Jimmy Claussen (Carolina)

Alex or Troy Smith (San Francisco)

John Skelton or Derek Anderson (Arizona)

Matt Hasselbeck or Charlie Whitehurst (Seattle)

Jay Cutler (Chicago) ...you think Fitz throws too many INTs?

The only guys I put over Fitzpatrick would be....

Tom Brady, Ben Roethlisberger, Joe Flacco, Peyton Manning, Matt Schaub, Philip Rivers, Tony Romo, Michael Vick, Eli Manning, Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees,and Matt Ryan. Not in that order.

I think Josh Freeman and Sam Bradford have tremendous upside and could end up above Fitz soon but I would right now place them equal to him or slightly below.

So by my rankings, Fitz isn't an elite passer by any means, but there are only 12 teams in the NFL that CLEARLY wouldn't take Fitzpatrick over who they already have.

Sure, they're definitely not losers. But they ain't winners either. Any one of them would trade away all the other AFC titles for one super bowl ring. Without hesitation.

Time changes perspective. In 1994, you were probably right. Nowadays, I think you'd be surprised at the answer you'd get.

I think the thing that you have to love about Fitz (which all good QBs have) is the ability to make the players about him better. Imagine that before the season thinking we would beat a team with a winning record on the road with a receiving group without Evans.

Fitz helps out the oline and allows his players to make plays. Sometimes his lack of size hurts his accuracy (he throws to spots), but more often than now, he has great ball placement. He is a leader and has a swagger. These are very underrated QB qualities that Losman and Edwards lacked.

I think the thing that you have to love about Fitz (which all good QBs have) is the ability to make the players about him better. Imagine that before the season thinking we would beat a team with a winning record on the road with a receiving group without Evans.

Fitz helps out the oline and allows his players to make plays. Sometimes his lack of size hurts his accuracy (he throws to spots), but more often than now, he has great ball placement. He is a leader and has a swagger. These are very underrated QB qualities that Losman and Edwards lacked.

I have seen a few people say this and I don't understand it.

Fitz is 6'2" that's the same as McNabb, Favre, Rodgers, Romo and Montana.

Elway and Kelly were 6'3"

Vick and Brees are only 6'0". I went to yahoo for heights.

Fitz height is fine, he is basically the same size as everybody else. What is the constant need to try and find any little fault and then when you can't find one you fabricate one. I don't get it. The guy is doing fine. Be thankful he is on our team.

I have seen a few people say this and I don't understand it.

Fitz is 6'2" that's the same as McNabb, Favre, Rodgers, Romo and Montana.

Elway and Kelly were 6'3"

Vick and Brees are only 6'0". I went to yahoo for heights.

Fitz height is fine, he is basically the same size as everybody else. What is the constant need to try and find any little fault and then when you can't find one you fabricate one. I don't get it. The guy is doing fine. Be thankful he is on our team.

Do you know what Fitz's problem is? He wasn't a #1 pick. That's all. If he was a #1 pick no one would be talking about his size or accuracy.

PTR

I know you're busting my balls ... but I'd support that move. Giving up a draft for a Franchise QB of the future like Luck would be a huge step forward for this team.

It would be better than what they're going to do. Which is draft another non impact player who will be run out of town after his first contract is up.

Maybe the Bills should trade themselves completely out of the first round; they haven't been getting much value out of the first round for many years and most of their impact players were drafted in later rounds or not at all.