We have our QB

coldstorage5

Against bad teams.

Tell ya what, if he beats the Pats next week, I'll shut up.

Fitz is NOT the problem on the team for sure. But he's also not the long term answer in my opinion.

The Fish were contenders for a wild card slot until the Bills BEAT them today.

Fitz is young enough to be the answer for a few more years while they fil larger holes on the team.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We act like no other QBs ever make bad throws! Even franchise QBs screw up. What makes them franchise is can they overcome those mistakes. Fitz had shown he's better than half the QBs starting in the NFL. If we drafted a QB #1 and they threw 25 TDs we'd be dancing a jig, so why no joy for Fitz with some people?

PTR

I was pondering this same issue while watching Big Ben fumble twice in the 4th quarter today.

I really don't understand what standard Fitz is being held to by so many Bills fans. I can only surmise that their perception of his work is somehow tainted by personal prejudices and preconceived notions of where a quarterback is supposed to be drafted, where he went to school, what he looks like, etc, etc, etc. You're exactly right, Promo. Every quarterback makes a few mistakes each game.

But this is not the first time we've seen a Bills quarterback being under appreciated.

Yup. For sure. But they didn't. And you can look to Fitz (especially in the Baltimore game) as one reason why. He put up great numbers in those games, but also had costly mistakes.

Everyone makes mistakes. Fitz seems to make his mistakes at the worst possible times. Today he made one too, just the Dolphins CB dropped a gimme pick 6. Even the TD throw today, which was brilliant in many ways, SHOULD have been intercepted. It was a great catch, a great throw ... but an unnecessary throw that 9 times out of 10 would be picked. It just happened to be the 1 time today that it works. So I can't complain.

Fitz is the opposite of clutch. It's not a lack of brains, effort, or gumption ... it's something far less tangible. Call it the "it" factor that we love in Hollywood. A meaningless word until you see it. Fitz, to me, does not have it. He puts up pretty numbers when there's nothing to play for. When it's crunch time he throws a wildly inaccurate ball that gets picked or results in a drop.

Again, Fitz is not the reason this Bills team is a miserable 4 and 10. And don't pretend it's NOT a miserable 4 and 10. This team is bad in lots of places. QB is one of the bright spots. But just because it's a bright spot on a crappy team doesn't mean we should elevate it to something more than it is. That's all.

Do you watch the same games as us?

PTR

Don't forget Chan in this equation. Chan makes Fitz look good but Fitz is also smart enough to pull off Chan's scheme.

PTR

While that is very true, and I don't think Fitz would be doing nearly as well without Gailey, I don't at all think that Gailey can just get great production out of any QB. He didn't at all with Edwards. Fitz does so many things well, it's a perfect match with the cerebral Gailey. I would love to draft Andrew Luck, and still would if he were available (which he surely won't be) even though I love Fitz now. But Andrew Luck would probably be atrocious on this Bills team as it is right now. He would get killed, IMO, even though he's the best prospect I've seen in over a decade. And even with Gailey as his coach.

Edited by Kelly the Fair and Balanced Dog

While that is very true, and I don't think Fitz would be doing nearly as well without Gailey, I don't at all think that Gailey can just get great production out of any QB. He didn't at all with Edwards. Fitz does so many things well, it's a perfect match with the cerebral Gailey. I would love to draft Andrew Luck, and still would if he were available (which he surely won't be) even though I love Fitz now. But Andrew Luck would probably be atrocious on this Bills team as it is right now. He would get killed, IMO, even though he's the best prospect I've seen in over a decade. And even with Gailey as his coach.

Whoever they draft won't start next year and shouldn't start next year. That's the beauty of having Fitz. He's good enough to start for a year or two while the young buck learns the ropes and the system. Then insert him in.

Luck will go to Carolina. If for some reason that doesn't happen, the Bills should move up to get him. They won't do that of course, but they should.

Yup. For sure. But they didn't. And you can look to Fitz (especially in the Baltimore game) as one reason why. He put up great numbers in those games, but also had costly mistakes.

Everyone makes mistakes. Fitz seems to make his mistakes at the worst possible times. Today he made one too, just the Dolphins CB dropped a gimme pick 6. Even the TD throw today, which was brilliant in many ways, SHOULD have been intercepted. It was a great catch, a great throw ... but an unnecessary throw that 9 times out of 10 would be picked. It just happened to be the 1 time today that it works. So I can't complain.

Fitz is the opposite of clutch. It's not a lack of brains, effort, or gumption ... it's something far less tangible. Call it the "it" factor that we love in Hollywood. A meaningless word until you see it. Fitz, to me, does not have it. He puts up pretty numbers when there's nothing to play for. When it's crunch time he throws a wildly inaccurate ball that gets picked or results in a drop.

Again, Fitz is not the reason this Bills team is a miserable 4 and 10. And don't pretend it's NOT a miserable 4 and 10. This team is bad in lots of places. QB is one of the bright spots. But just because it's a bright spot on a crappy team doesn't mean we should elevate it to something more than it is. That's all.

Who's playing better? You can count them on one hand and have fingers to spare.

Enough skeptics, Fitz is our guy. Can thread the needle. Bright, String Tough, Inexpensive.

15 straight games with a td. Think about that stat.

21 tds 11 picks, not to shabbee.

Can run the ball. Mobile.

Played with how many different lines??

Full beard...

How cheap is he,.... The cheapest top 20 qb in the NFL. Use this qb money for other holes.

Stop with the draft qb nonsense. Why waste a top 8-10 pick on a qb when we have so many other holes to fill?

Plus, drafting qbs is a total crapshoot ( we all ready know this how many wasted picks since kelly, uhhh 3 #1's).

This is defensive filled draft. Get Lbs and d linemen.

Fitz has sold himself to this 30+ year Buffalo bills fan.

Agree 100% , but whats the full beard angle? Looks like mold.

We act like no other QBs ever make bad throws! Even franchise QBs screw up. What makes them franchise is can they overcome those mistakes. Fitz had shown he's better than half the QBs starting in the NFL. If we drafted a QB #1 and they threw 25 TDs we'd be dancing a jig, so why no joy for Fitz with some people?

PTR

THANK YOU. I think we have been devoid of even competent QB play in Buffalo for so long, that as a whole we tend to think that we need to get a QB who is flawless week in and out. I live out of WNY now so I have the ticket and watch a decent amount of other games on the weeks where the Bills are away. Even the very best of the QB's in the NFL will throw a couple of very dangerous/terrible passes every week. It's part of the reason that the best are actually the best. They're not scared. Hate to say it, but I think Brady is the best of playing at a high level week in and out without as many highs and lows as most QB's. If Trent was still starting this year I honestly don't think I would still be driving 4+ hours one way each week for all the home games. Yeah our record may suck but damn this is the most entertaining football I have seen in a number of years save for 3 games. I didn't believe it at first but I'm really starting to believe that with a couple more pieces, this team may be able to do something with Fitz at the helm. He really has had a great season and I wish we could just fast forward to next year to see if this whole thing progresses even more. If we can somehow win one of these next two games (esp. next week), count me 100% on the bandwagon.

PTR

He does miss 3-4 passes per game with WRs wide open that he has no business whatsoever missing. That's independent of the normal 3-4 bad throws that any and every QB makes. He just does. It's inarguable, IMO. But what detractors don't seem to weigh against that are the 3-4 and sometimes 5-6 amazing throws into tight coverage he makes that are complete or keep drives going that normal and often even franchise QBs don't make.

It seems to me that if he missed the ones he makes that he shouldn't make and made the ones he should that he doesn't, his detractors would think he was somehow way better. He makes several remarkable throws per game. The TD to Nelson today was just sick.

Who's playing better? You can count them on one hand and have fingers to spare.

The better question is what teams would rather have Fitz than their current starter.

Cleveland, Carolina, San Fran, Arizona, Miami ... maybe the Jets. That's about it.

There are SO many things Fitz does as well as a franchise quarterback for this team, it would be difficult to count them on both your hands and both your feet. Obviously, the 3-4 blatant bad throws a game that he makes are keeping you from thinking he has any chance of being one. And you may be right, that could keep him from being a franchise QB. But right now it's not. He's playing pretty close to one right now. He's winning games, throwing TDs, making plays all over the field, leading his team, managing games, avoiding the rush, using his head, using his legs, completing third downs and third and longs at a ridiculous pace, getting the ball downfield, calling audibles, making line calls, distributing the balls to different players, scoring in the redzone, having long TD drives that chew up the time clock, not making too many turnovers or sacks -- all without a run game, TE, injuries all over, no name receivers, and new offense.

Well said. Other than a few errant throws a game and not having the a greatest long ball, which he could get better at, imo he pretty much has just about everything one could want in a qb. With a better supporting cast, I don't see any reason he can't lead us to the playoffs and beyond.

He makes several remarkable throws per game. The TD to Nelson today was just sick.

So was the sideline pass to Namaan Roosevelt on the 3rd Quarter TD drive. Also the throw down the right sideline to Donald Jones was extraordinary.

When Drew Brees makes those throws, people genuflect to him.

When Fitz makes them lots of Bills "fans" act as if it was some sort of mistake.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

Whoever they draft won't start next year and shouldn't start next year. That's the beauty of having Fitz. He's good enough to start for a year or two while the young buck learns the ropes and the system. Then insert him in.

Luck will go to Carolina. If for some reason that doesn't happen, the Bills should move up to get him. They won't do that of course, but they should.

The way we seem to get terrific production out of UDFA, lets overpay/sign David Harris and a solid RT in FA, then trade our entire draft for Luck and then sign a bunch of UDFAs again.

I was pondering this same issue while watching Big Ben fumble twice in the 4th quarter today.

I really don't understand what standard Fitz is being held to by so many Bills fans. I can only surmise that their perception of his work is somehow tainted by personal prejudices and preconceived notions of where a quarterback is supposed to be drafted, where he went to school, what he looks like, etc, etc, etc. You're exactly right, Promo. Every quarterback makes a few mistakes each game.

But this is not the first time we've seen a Bills quarterback being under appreciated.

It's not just the standard they are holding Fitz to. Nor that they seem oblivious the fact that the best quarterbacks in the game don't even meet their standard. To me the most absurd thing is that they seem to believe there are "can't miss" guys in the draft who will.

Heal the sick

Loaves and fishes

Walk on water

Change his name to Ryan Brady

From the Rochester D&C: FEAR THE BEARD! :w00t:

The way we seem to get terrific production out of UDFA, lets overpay/sign David Harris and a solid RT in FA, then trade our entire draft for Luck and then sign a bunch of UDFAs again.

I know you're busting my balls ... but I'd support that move. Giving up a draft for a Franchise QB of the future like Luck would be a huge step forward for this team.

It would be better than what they're going to do. Which is draft another non impact player who will be run out of town after his first contract is up.