We have our QB

coldstorage5

He's right though. The only reason you play is to (eventually) win the Super Bowl. That's the point of professional sports, to win it all. I would not want any player on my team, especially at the most important position, if I didn't think I could WIN a Super Bowl with that player. Tgreg is a smart football fan, and he thinks you cannot win the whole thing with a guy like Fitz. I don't agree but I understand it. For me, I never have and would never want Chad Pennington to be my QB because I thought he could only take you so far. He can scratch and fight and slowball a team to 11-5, which he did, but he had deficiencies in his game that made me believe he could never and would never win it all. So why have him (there is a case to be made for players like that as a bridge while you build a team)? That's what Tgreg thinks about Fitz.

Absolutely true (but for the part about me being smart of course) :thumbsup:

No, I know I sound like an ass or a grinch on here right now. I should stop. And I will. I promise. Call it boredom being stuck at home right now. I'm hard on Fitz, but I also try to give credit where it's due so I'll say again, he's NOT the problem on this team. Not in the least. I just don't think he's the answer either. That's all.

:pirate:

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why should they be? It's professional SPORTS. The entire point is to win a championship every year. No team shows up to get second place. Thinking small leads to being small. It's true in life as it is in sports.

We've done enough of that.

Because the Yankees are in a position to compete. They have a roster with players that have hundreds of games of playoff experience. They have fistfulls of cash. They've missed the playoffs only once since 1996.

The Bills, on the other hand, can't even get free agents to visit and depend on the draft. They haven't made the playoffs in over ten years. I don't even know if they have a single player on the roster that has any playoff experience.

What you're proposing is tantamount to a janitor becoming CEO of a Fortune 500 company in the span of a year. That just doesn't happen. It takes hard work, a lot of learning, and experience to do that. That's what this team really needs before drafting a rookie QB.

Absolutely true (but for the part about me being smart of course) :thumbsup:

No, I know I sound like an ass or a grinch on here right now. I should stop. And I will. I promise. Call it boredom being stuck at home right now. I'm hard on Fitz, but I also try to give credit where it's due so I'll say again, he's NOT the problem on this team. Not in the least. I just don't think he's the answer either. That's all.

:pirate:

Fair enough. He's not all world. But if we get other aspects of the team improved Fitz can take us places. If our D can turn into a monster then Fitz can take us all the way imo. Only time will tell.

He's right though. The only reason you play is to (eventually) win the Super Bowl. That's the point of professional sports, to win it all. I would not want any player on my team, especially at the most important position, if I didn't think I could WIN a Super Bowl with that player. Tgreg is a smart football fan, and he thinks you cannot win the whole thing with a guy like Fitz. I don't agree but I understand it. For me, I never have and would never want Chad Pennington to be my QB because I thought he could only take you so far. He can scratch and fight and slowball a team to 11-5, which he did, but he had deficiencies in his game that made me believe he could never and would never win it all. So why have him (there is a case to be made for players like that as a bridge while you build a team)? That's what Tgreg thinks about Fitz.

Wow, I bet the teams that had Gannon, Brad Johnson, Grossman, Hasselback, Delhomme, McNabb, Dilfer, K Collins, McNair, Bledsoe, O'Donnell, Stan Humphries, Rypien, Hostetler, Doug Williams, Eason, etc. sure are glad tgreg wasn't making the player decisions for thier respective teams.

I would throw Fitz right into this class of QBs and they all got to the super bowl and some of them even won it.

So saying Fitz isn't good enough is a bunch of bunk. Could the Bills do better at QB? sure they could but they can also get to the top of the mountain with Fitz. The group I mentioned proves that!

QBs with very apparent deficiencies to their game have led teams to Super Bowl victories: Jim Plunkett, Jeff Hoststler (remember him Bills fans), Trent Dilfer. You can win without a HOF QB. With a better supporting cast on both sides of the ball, and a few breaks that every Super Bowl team must benefit from, RF could lead the Bills to a Super Bowl. Not saying that this will happen of course, but it is clearly within the realm of the possible. Not saying either that a HOF QB wouldn't be nice. Just pointing out that it is not necessary.

QBs with very apparent deficiencies to their game have led teams to Super Bowl victories: Jim Plunkett, Jeff Hoststler (remember him Bills fans), Trent Dilfer. You can win without a HOF QB. With a better supporting cast on both sides of the ball, and a few breaks that every Super Bowl team must benefit from, RF could lead the Bills to a Super Bowl. Not saying that this will happen of course, but it is clearly within the realm of the possible. Not saying either that a HOF QB wouldn't be nice. Just pointing out that it is not necessary.

Plunkett was a #1 pick with all the tools who was supposed to be a franchise QB and played poorly for a few years before he put it all together and won a Super Bowl. He doesn't fit the description. Hostetler and Dilfer won because they played on teams with two of the best defenses and best defensive players in the history of the NFL. I'm not positive, but if Fitz was playing QB on the Bills right now the way he is, and the Bills had the Ravens D that Dilfer did, Tgreg would say we have a chance to win the Super Bowl if Fitz doesnt !@#$ it up, which is exactly what the Ravens said, and what happened. So if the Bills get one of the best defenses in the history of the NFL in the next two years, then you make a good point.

Plunkett was a #1 pick with all the tools who was supposed to be a franchise QB and played poorly for a few years before he put it all together and won a Super Bowl. He doesn't fit the description. Hostetler and Dilfer won because they played on teams with two of the best defenses and best defensive players in the history of the NFL. I'm not positive, but if Fitz was playing QB on the Bills right now the way he is, and the Bills had the Ravens D that Dilfer did, Tgreg would say we have a chance to win the Super Bowl if Fitz doesnt !@#$ it up, which is exactly what the Ravens said, and what happened. So if the Bills get one of the best defenses in the history of the NFL in the next two years, then you make a good point.

The fact that Plunkett was drafted #1 overall is really beside the point. His career had many low points, and this had to do with his play. Rob Woodson disagrees with you. He says, as good as they were defensively, the Ravens owed a lot to Dilfer for their Super Bowl season. Bill Belichik and Bill Parcells both speak glowingly of Hostetler, and for a reason. The point is that a QB with a certain skill set and mind set, though with less than HOF credentials, can do enough to help his team win a Superbowl. Fitz is that kind of QB.

Winning the Super Bowl is all that matters. End of story. If you don't win the Super Bowl, you haven't won anything. I'm sorry, thinking otherwise is a loser mentality. And that's the mentality that has existed at OBD for far too long.

And yes, you're right about Washington, Minny and Seattle.

Wow, you must really hate watching football, then. Only 1 team wins the Super Bowl each year, and luck often has quite a bit to do with it in the current parity league. So, you think the 1975 Vikings sucked because they didn't get to the Super Bowl? What about the early 1960s Bills? They came up short one game being in the first Super Bowl? Boy did they suck!

A real football fan appreciates good play. Winning sometimes hinges on things other than good planning and play.

Maybe you should have a look at Freakpops post. I didn't see it before posting myself. He probably makes the point better than I did.

Finknottle was being sarcastic. And the only game they should have won is the Giants game. The Redskins were unbeatable that year and Dallas was a powerhouse.

Exactly right, but they might have stole the "helmet" game if they hadn't lost their poise at the end of the first half.

All the people who say we need this mythical "franchise" QB would be clammoring for him if we had a young Tom Brady on the roster. Tom Brady did have a strong defense and a good offensive line in front of him, and his stats for his first few seasons were very similar to the numbers Fitz is putting up.

Multiple Super Bowl wins is what's needed by this franchise. MULTIPLE. We need to build a long term contender. Winning one Super Bowl would be Great. But I hope I won't be the only one here satisfied with just one.

Are you kidding? Multiple Super Bowls? I'd be satisfied with a playoff game. Baby steps.

Enough skeptics, Fitz is our guy. Can thread the needle. Bright, String Tough, Inexpensive.

15 straight games with a td. Think about that stat.

I'm okay with that, as long as we put our emphasis on building a great defensive and fixing the offensive line. Find a suitable backup QB, and build an aggressive defense to pull the plugs out of Brady's head.

The fact that Plunkett was drafted #1 overall is really beside the point. His career had many low points, and this had to do with his play. Rob Woodson disagrees with you. He says, as good as they were defensively, the Ravens owed a lot to Dilfer for their Super Bowl season. Bill Belichik and Bill Parcells both speak glowingly of Hostetler, and for a reason. The point is that a QB with a certain skill set and mind set, though with less than HOF credentials, can do enough to help his team win a Superbowl. Fitz is that kind of QB.

WITH an all-time great defense behind him, yes.

Maybe KC and Tampa also. That's over half the teams in the NFL.

Clearly tgreg is correct that Fitz is horrible. :w00t:

Tampa probably wouldn't as Freeman has looked good for a 2nd year QB. Better than Sanchez imo.

That said, starrymessanger who is "Rob Woodson" ?

And tgreg, do you have writer's block and are you taking it out on us? I am surprised that you consider Fitzgibbons inadequate for next year, while we still have no rush outside of Kyle Willams.

WITH an all-time great defense behind him, yes.

I thought I did say something about a better supporting cast. And by the way the Giants (and Hoststler) beat us was by keeping our offense, and their "world class" defense off the field. Remember?

Tampa probably wouldn't as Freeman has looked good for a 2nd year QB. Better than Sanchez imo.

That said, starrymessanger who is "Rob Woodson" ?

And tgreg, do you have writer's block and are you taking it out on us? I am surprised that you consider Fitzgibbons inadequate for next year, while we still have no rush outside of Kyle Willams.

ok ok its Rod Woodson. And BTW its starrymessenger.

I thought I did say something about a better supporting cast. And by the way the Giants (and Hoststler) beat us was by keeping our offense, and their "world class" defense off the field. Remember?

ok ok its Rod Woodson. And BTW its starrymessenger.

lol :lol::P figured I'd be that guy to mess with you there

Are you kidding? Multiple Super Bowls? I'd be satisfied with a playoff game. Baby steps.

I'm not kidding one bit. A Super Bowl win would be awesome for Buffalo. If the Bills are able to win one they better be built to win multiple. A Super Bowl win is a great achievement but after a few seasons it's forgotten by the rest of the league. What I want is a legacy. Yes I agree, baby steps. But in the end Multiple Super Bowls is the goal I want this franchise to achieve. An accomplishment that will always be remembered. I'm sick of hearing about the Patsies and cowboys many super bowl wins. I'm talking about establishing a Bills legacy here. Nothing less in my eyes.

Against bad teams.

Tell ya what, if he beats the Pats next week, I'll shut up.

Fitz is NOT the problem on the team for sure. But he's also not the long term answer in my opinion.

He is the answer- last time he put up 30 on the pats you want him to play defense too ?

Not sure what you want out of your QB that he doesnt give you