My Meaningless Opinion

R. Rich

Well I sure was glad to see the Bills win a game where they kept control for most of it. I saw plenty of good things in this one from several units. I also saw a lot of empty seats unfortunately, including my two, as I couldn't get 'em sold. One more home game to go and it will probably be as empty too, seeing how it is the day after Christmas. I haven't sold those either, so if anyone wants 'em, send me a PM. I am willing to part w/ 'em cheap. Now, on to the game...

I thought Ryan Fitzpatrick made some nice decisions in this one. He knew when to tuck and run, and did well in picking up big yardage when he did. He also made a few impressive throws, too. He hit Steve Johnson w/ a nice sideline pass to get a first down on second and 4 @ the 6 minute mark in the first quarter. He also hit Johnson on a second and 8 play @ the 12 minute mark in the second quarter that went for another first down. But, once again, I did see the Terrible Trio show up again:

1. Overthrow: Badly missed Johnson @ the 7:11 mark of the first quarter on a play where the pass protection was very good.

2. Underthrow: This one worked out for the Bills, as he underthrew Johnathan Stupar, but Browns safety TJ Ward misjudged the play when he attemped to jump the route. It ended up going for a 36 yard gain. We'll put an asteik on this one; bad decision, good results.

3. Pass that never should've been thrown: He attempted to get the ball downfield to Johnson, and it was nearly picked off by Sheldon Brown.

Okay, we'll give 'em the Stupar play, but let's hope he doesn't try to force that throw into coverage again. Fitzpatrick also made some nice yards by running the ball. He looked decisive and showed good speed to get to the edge. The QB draw call nearly worked for a TD (more later). All in all, not a bad effort for Fitzpatrick. He led the offense, and they led the way by maintaining drives and eating up clock.

Props to Fred Jackson for some tough running in this one. Of course, it helps when you get a bit of daylight to operate from (more later), but Jackson does deserve his props. There weren't a lot of highlight reel runs, but there was a lot of effort. He had a nice 4 yard gain @ the 13:36 mark of the second quarter where he just followed a nice lead block by center Eric Wood. C.J. Spiller had a nice 8 yard run off a block by Wood (we'll get to his game later), and Corey McIntire really had some nice blocks in this one. He also had a nice blitz pickup on the second and 8 play to Johnson where he stopped LB Chris Gocong dead in his tracks. Of course, he also got away w/ a major hold of LB Matt Roth on a Fitzpatrick run of 13 yards late in the first quarter. Still, McIntire's good points far outweighed his bad ones in this game.

Okay, so the wideouts weren't a major factor in this game, but they did come up big when called upon. Donald Jones had a nice underneath catch on a crossing route late in the first quarter on a third and 2 play. Jones also made a great open field tackle on a punt return after the Bills were backup up on a penalty. Jones' tackle prevented a big gain on that play. He did have a few not so good moments, like forgetting to line up on a play that resulted in a costly delay of game penalty in the red zone and cutting off a route short of the first down marker on a third and 3 play @ the 11:24 mark of the third quarter. It appeared that Fitzpatrick threw the ball to where Jones would've been had he run past the sticks, and it was incomplete. David Nelson made a beautiful catch and ran a terrific route on his TD catch @ the 9:33 mark of the second quarter. Johnson made a few nice catches for first downs and showed good awareness on the second and 5 play in the third quarter, where he caught the tipped pass to save possession for the Bills (Fitzpatrick's pass was tipped) and pick up a couple yards. He did fail to sustain a block on Sheldon Brown @ the 9:52 mark of the fourth quarter that allowed Brown to stop Jackson for no gain on a running play in the red zone. I saw some good blocks in this game by David Martin (really!!), two of 'em coming on the drive where the Bills killed the clock to end the game. He also made a nice catch on a bootleg play @ the 6:52 mark of the third quarter. Stupar made the nice 36 yard catch and also threw a nice block on the fourth and 1 conversion @ the 0:10 mark of the fourth quarter that allowed the Bills to kill the clock. He did miss a block on Derrick Robinson (held 'em, too)on Fitzpatrick's 12 yard scramble @ the start of the second quarter.

The guy I watched carefully in this game was Eric Wood. Seeing that he was playing center, and seeing how many feel he should move inside to that position permanently, I wanted to see how he'd fare in his first outing there. Well, I have to admit I was pleasantly surprised w/ how well he handled it. He looked more like the tough, fiesty interior blocker the Bills told us fans he was when they drafted 'em. Here's a few of his nice plays:

1. He and Levitre cleared out the middle on a 5 yard run by Spiller @ the 9:19 mark of the first quarter.

2. He had a impressive block on Ahtyba Rubin on a play where Rubin actually got better leverage but was still knocked 3 yards backwards by Wood on a 3 yard Jackson run @ the 8:00 mark of the first quarter.

3. He had a nice backside block on a play @ the 2:03 mark of the first quarter where Jackson gained 4 yards (Gocong made the tackle after being unblocked).

4. He drove Rubin 'bout 4 yards off the ball on the aforementioned 4 yard run by Jackson @ the 13:36 mark of the second quarter.

5. He and Levitre had nice blocks on a 4 yard Jackson run @ the 14:55 mark of the third quarter.

Now, the only real bad play I saw was on the QB draw where Fitzpatrick nearly scored. Wood and Levitre both blocked down on David Bowens when Wood should've let Levitre have Bowens and go after TJ Ward. Had Wood taken Ward out, Fitzpatrick would've had the TD. Still, considering all the good plays I saw from him, this is minor in relation. Great effort! Keep it up, 'cause I hope that this is just the beginning of something really special and not just a fluke game. I think Wood has the skills to be pretty good in the pivot. As I mentioned before, I thought Levitre had some nice blocks as well, usually when he pulls and leads on outside running plays. But, I also saw a few plays where he just drove the guy in front of 'em off the ball and gave the running back a lane to run through. Just another reason why I have said I think Levitre has been the Bills' best offensive lineman this year and, to me, it hasn't been close. He did appear to hit Fitzpatrick on the play where his pass got tipped and nearly intercepted before Johnson came up w/ it, but aside from that, played a really clean game. Demetrius Bell had some rough plays, such as the play late in the first half where Shaun Rogers just bull rushed Bell and got the sack and the play in the first quarter (7:11 mark) where Gocong just beat 'em off the ball and forced a fumble. But, Bell did have some good plays in pass protection (gave Fitzpatrick a nice pocket to throw from @ the 9:33 mark of the second quarter on Nelson's TD pass). Chad Rinehart didn't look as good in drive blocking, but he did have a couple nice plays in the first half where he pulled and lead on running plays. Mansfield Wrotto and Cordaro Howard had quite games from my view, but also didn't make any boneheaded plays to cost the team.

The D line didn't have a banner game. There were a few bright spots. Spencer Johnson got pressure on a passing play and forced Jake Delhomme to throw an incomplete pass @ the 4:06 mark of the first quarter. Johnson and Chris Kelsay ran a nice stunt off the right side 2 the 11:17 mark of the third quarter, but Joe Thomas picked it up and Delhomme hit Ben Watson for an 8 yard gain. There was another in/out stunt that had Kelsay loop inside and Stroud go outside on a play @ the 9:14 mark of the third quarter where Marcus Stroud was able to get pressure on Delhomme and force an incomplete pass. Kyle Williams broke through up the middle @ the 1:21 mark of the third quarter and helped to force the play, an end 'round by Josh Cribbs, wide, which resulted in a forced fumble. But, the fumble was not recovered by Kelsay (who forced it), Alex Carrington (who fell right next to the ball), nor Johnson (who was right next to Carrington) and Cribbs was able to recover it. Yikes. Williams also recovered the fumble that Jairus Byrd forced in the first quarter. Stroud and Johnson were both taken out of a play where Peyton Hillis ran for 4 yards on first down (14:47 mark of first quarter). Both players were again knocked off the ball later (11:17 mark of the third quarter) on a short Hillis run for a first down. Not very many plays in the backfield for these guys.

The linebackers had a pretty good game. Akin Ayodele had 10 tackles, including a nice third down stop @ the 10:56 mark of the first quarter (w/ help from Paul Posluszny) that helped force a Cleveland FG instead of a TD. He also slowed Hillis down on the third quarter (3:58 mark) play where Posluszny shot the gap but just missed Hillis. He did get taken out on a play @ the 9:54 mark of the third quarter by Alex Mack (Hillis got 7 yards on that play), but overall he had a solid outing. He also got away w/ a late hit on Hillis; the ref waived the flag saying the hit was @ the line of scrimmage. Sure, if the line was moved 3 yards downfield. Ah well; how many of those kinda calls go aganst the Bills, so I guess we should be grateful. Posluszny really had some nice plays in the beginning of the game. He filled the gap and forced a short gain by Hillis on first down (the goal to go where the Bills held and forced the FG), stuffed the second down play for a 2 yard gain, and combined w/ Ayodele on the third down stop. He played the pass very well, closing quickly on a fourth quarter (4:32 mark) pass play to stop Hillis for a 2 yard gain. He did get driven off the ball by Floyd Womack on the play mentioned earlier where Hillis gained 7 yards in the third quarter and did get taken out of the play in the first quarter (13:18 mark) by.....get this....Robert Royal! Still, a good effort by Posluszny. Arthur Moats was able to provide pressure in this one. In the third quarter (11:17 mark), he came off the left side strong, but just missed Delhomme, who connected w/ Watson for 8 yards. He also beat Joe Thomas, one of the best left tackles in the game in my (meaningless) opinion, on a nice move @ the 11:13 mark of the fourth quarter where he also forced a fumble. He's getting better; gotta love that. Kelsay was able to provide nice pressure off the edge when rushing as a down lineman. He got held by John St. Clair on a play where he couldn't set the edge (wonder why) and stop the play from going wide (5:08 mark of the second quarter). He also got past Thomas (wow!) and pressured Delhomme to throw an incomplete pass on the play where Ayodele "didn't" hit Hillis late and had that nice stunt w/ Stroud that forced another incomplete pass @ the 9:14 mark of the third quarter.

The secondary did not allow Delhomme to get into any sort of rhythm. They kept the gains short w/ a few exceptions. Terrence McGee got beat by Mohammed Massaquoi for 34 yards where Jairus Byrd got to the play late. Brian Robiskie had a big gain of 15 yards to get a first down. That was 'bout it. Remember; Delhomme was kept to just 86 yards passing on the game! Byrd had the nice forced fumbles, but also did well in run support. His open field tackle on Cribbs @ the beginning of the fourth quarter was sweet! He stopped 'em for 7 yards on third and 16. Donte Whitner helped to force a fumble also and was in on 5 tackles. Bryan Scott wuz robbed, I tell ya, robbed on the play in the fourth quarter (11:13 mark) where he recovered the fumble and ran it back for a score. Thanks to the early whistle, he did not get the TD. He also had a nice open field tackle on third and 8 @ the 3:21 mark of the first quarter for a 1 yard gain. Scott also got good pressure late in the fourth quarter (3:54 mark) and forced the INT by Leodis McKelvin. Speaking of, he made a really nice hit that broke up a pass on the play prior to his INT! He also had a nice open field tackle (seems to be a trend this week) on Massaquoi late in the third quarter (0:32 mark) on a second and 21 play that went for just 5 yards.

Brian Moorman had a decent enough game, but he was outplayed by Cleveland punter Reggie Hodges. That guy had a couple really nice ones over 50 yards and put a pair inside the 20. He had good hang time and didn't seem to mind dealing w/ the notorious RICH Stadium winds. Rian Lindell wasn't called on much, but answered the call each time. Spiller had a nice 33 yard punt return early in the fourth quarter, which was the highlight of the return game. Jones added a couple 30 plus yard returns and made a nice tackle on the fourth quarter return where Jon Corto got the penalty and backed Moorman up deep in Bills territory. Jones' tackle kept the return minimal. Considering the Browns ended up getting the ball near midfield even w/ the tackle, that was good.

In terms of the coaching, I think overall they were solid. They focused on the running game and ran hard 'tween the tackles. The move to put Wood @ center paid nice dividends. I personally liked the call to go for it on fourth and 1. Yeah it didn't work, but it was gutsy and w/ the wind and all, was Lindell gonna make a 53 yarder? I would've liked to see a few more runs by Spiller, but there appears to be a plan to work him into the offense, and I like that.

And so, the Bills get win #3. You happy? Another win is another week of not having to B word 'bout not winning. Unhappy? Are the Bills ruining their draft stock and getting further and further away from that franchise QB/DL/LB/whoever the angry mob wants? Here's my take: I'm always happy to see my team win. As for the draft, I just have to trust that they can figure it out. Honestly, if people think the organization blows it in regard to the draft, who's to say they won't blow it w/ the #1, 2, or 3 overall pick instead of the 8th-10th? Sure, my team is just 3-10, but they also have won 3 of their last 5. Considering how dreadful the first half of the year was, I'll take it.

Whew! just got done reading that. I think I had something to say, but I forgot and frankly, am exhausted.

Seriously, nice recap.

It was good to see us control the clock for a change and keep running the ball. And I am also in the camp of would rather win and have the draft slot be damned. It feels good to win, dammit!

...now if we can only beat the Patricheats, Dolphags(no offence to any of our gay comrads), and ruin the Jests playoff hopes, I will call it a succesfull first year rebuild

go BILLS!

C'mon now, no opinion is meaningless, some just have less meaning than others.

That being said, it is great to read something with so much thought and analysis behind it. Whether people agree with what you've said or not, it's really nice to see this kind of enthusiasm and insight to the team we all love!! I'll be certain to look for your posts from now on!

GO BILLS!!!

I always love reading your weekly opinions Rich.

One thing though, if you watch any other game in the NFL, nearly every QB has the "Terrible Trio" every week. It's nearly impossible to be accruate with every single throw. This includes Brady and Manning too, actually, its been all too often with Manning this year.

Excellent but meaningless opinion clipped for brevity only!

And so, the Bills get win #3. You happy? Another win is another week of not having to B word 'bout not winning. Unhappy? Are the Bills ruining their draft stock and getting further and further away from that franchise QB/DL/LB/whoever the angry mob wants? Here's my take: I'm always happy to see my team win. As for the draft, I just have to trust that they can figure it out. Honestly, if people think the organization blows it in regard to the draft, who's to say they won't blow it w/ the #1, 2, or 3 overall pick instead of the 8th-10th? Sure, my team is just 3-10, but they also have won 3 of their last 5. Considering how dreadful the first half of the year was, I'll take it.

I am happy. The road to really rebuilding a team starts with gutsy players and good coaching. Bruce Smith and Jim Kelly were not stars until after Levy took the reins. Thurman was a 2nd rounder and everyone knows Reed was a 7th round chance. I would rather see them finish the season with a winning attitude and some confidence than total washout with only the #1 draft pick in the league to provide a hope for the future!

As you say, wherever they pick, just pick well!

They won three of the last five, but remember the FOUR losses by only three points. Shades of 1985 - 87 !!

Sure beats firing all the coaches and starting another three year plan!!!!

Go Bills!

One thing though, if you watch any other game in the NFL, nearly every QB has the "Terrible Trio" every week. It's nearly impossible to be accurate with every single throw. This includes Brady and Manning too, actually, its been all too often with Manning this year.

It takes a very good QB to have the confidence to try to force a ball into a tight opening, knowing that they may wish they could have a couple of them back.

Manning is a great QB who is showing what happens when you have the best QB with a sub par supporting cast.

Tough crowd. Fitz makes a gutsy throw that nets 36 yards and he get's knocked for it. Brady makes that throw and he's a genius and he put it only where his guy could get it blah blah blah

I'm hoping for many more plays just like this.

Brady also gets a lot of help from the officials.

Edited by Rockpile

One thing though, if you watch any other game in the NFL, nearly every QB has the "Terrible Trio" every week. It's nearly impossible to be accruate with every single throw. This includes Brady and Manning too, actually, its been all too often with Manning this year.

Loving reading Rich's weekly opinion as well.

And I was going to make this same point last week. The terrible trio is commonplace among most QBs, even the elite ones. Maybe Fitz's are more obvious?

Tough crowd. Fitz makes a gutsy throw that nets 36 yards and he get's knocked for it. Brady makes that throw and he's a genius and he put it only where his guy could get it blah blah blah

I'm hoping for many more plays just like this.

Overall the OP is a great thoughtful and thought-provoking read, BUT I agree that it's overly critical to pick apart each pass and I want Fitz to be courageous enough to throw that pass.

just like the year they took Mike Williams

won a meaningless game and missed out on Julius Petters

Every silver cloud has a dark lining. All you have to do is look for nothing but that darkness.

I am happy. The road to really rebuilding a team starts with gutsy players and good coaching. Bruce Smith and Jim Kelly were not stars until after Levy took the reins. Thurman was a 2nd rounder and everyone knows Reed was a 7th round chance. I would rather see them finish the season with a winning attitude and some confidence than total washout with only the #1 draft pick in the league to provide a hope for the future!

Andre Reed was a 4th rounder, but who's counting?

IIRC, that was the year the Bills had 2 picks in each of the first 4 rounds. Who can name the 8 guys they took?

Andre Reed was a 4th rounder, but who's counting?

IIRC, that was the year the Bills had 2 picks in each of the first 4 rounds. Who can name the 8 guys they took?

#1 Bruce Smith (I'd say I'm satisfied with this pick)

#14 Derrick Burroughs (Jerry Rice taken at #16) :blush:

#29 Mark Traynowicz (Randall Cunninqham taken #37...coulda been our punter!! :thumbsup: )

#42 Chris Burkett (Simon Fletcher, 97.5 career sacks, taken at #54)

#57 Frank Reich (one of the greatest backup QBs of all time)

#63 Hal Garner (#68 Jack Del Rio)

#86 Andre Reed (fantastic pick)

#112 Dale Hellestrae (#113 Kevin Greene...whoops)

The google age makes any question answerable. Just goes to show again that the NFL draft is mostly a crapshoot. I'd say any draft that produces Bruce Smith, Andre Reed, and Frank Reich in the first 4 rounds is still a pretty strong one though.

#1 Bruce Smith (I'd say I'm satisfied with this pick)

#14 Derrick Burroughs (Jerry Rice taken at #16) :blush:

#29 Mark Traynowicz (Randall Cunninqham taken #37...coulda been our punter!! :thumbsup: )

#42 Chris Burkett (Simon Fletcher, 97.5 career sacks, taken at #54)

#57 Frank Reich (one of the greatest backup QBs of all time)

#63 Hal Garner (#68 Jack Del Rio)

#86 Andre Reed (fantastic pick)

#112 Dale Hellestrae (#113 Kevin Greene...whoops)

The google age makes any question answerable. Just goes to show again that the NFL draft is mostly a crapshoot. I'd say any draft that produces Bruce Smith, Andre Reed, and Frank Reich in the first 4 rounds is still a pretty strong one though.

Well, I was hoping someone would remember it, not Google it.

I remembered Traynowicz, Reich, and Reed, but I had forgotten that was the Bruce Smith draft. Holy crap.

Must have gotten Mike Cumby in the 5th or so. I remember he and Garner had played together in college.

This is getting ridiculous. So now we're becoming micro-critical and numbering specific poor Fitzpatrick passes in a game? Damn, these guys aren't robots. I'll bet Jim Kelly is so glad the internet wasn't around when he was playing. He was always good for a handfull of "WTF passes" a game. Especially earlier in his career.

Bills fans need to start thanking their lucky stars Ryan Fitzpatrick is here, is the man, and is the QB who will bring the Bills all the way back to the glory days once again. In other words, get off his back until he really and truly DOES have a bad game.

...And so, the Bills get win #3. You happy?...

Man oh man, that was some "meaningless opinion."! Please fill out an application to take over Modrak's job, you spent more time writing that game summary that Modrak spends reading his scouts' summaries on players he's drafted these past 9 years or so!

Although your summary was very well written and accurate, I don't think this current group of Buffalo Bills is worth my time commenting on all of that, so I'm just answering your question above:

Yeah, I'm always happy when the Bills win games. I really never care about getting a number one pick or even top 5 pick in the draft, because the draft is a big crap shoot anyway.

Last year after Nix and Gailey came in, everyone said don't draft a QB this year, because next year there will be up to 5 great ones to choose from. Well, next year is almost here, and those same "experts" have reduced that number to just ONE great one, and none of those other 4 even first round-worthy.

Let's face it, ever since the Pats stole Brady in the 6th round 10 years ago, all bets are off in picking QB's number 1 or number 196! It seems you can strike gold or strike out anywhere in the draft at QB these days.

Who knows if Nix would pull the trigger on Luck even if he somehow ended up with the number one pick anyway? And now that is seems obvious he won't have the number one pick, he can relax and pick the very best OT or DT or rushing DE or OLB on the board and worry about QB later on in the draft.

This is getting ridiculous....I'll bet Jim Kelly is so glad the internet wasn't around when he was playing. He was always good for a handfull of "WTF passes" a game. Especially earlier in his career....

:worthy: Great point! We were just beginning to get on-line back in early 1997 when Jimbo hung 'em up, and during his glory days from 1988 through 1993, we still had to snail - mail our opinions into the Buffalo News and see if they printed them once a week, or call into the radio shows. I don't think the social networking of today would have changed Jimbo's Hall of Fame career, but all those guys who played before the late 90's are lucky they did not face today's 24 hour access!

Easily the best post game write up out there (if we could get Lori's pregame write ups back, we'd have a perfect world of Bills analysis and breakdown). I look forward to your comments each week. It's posts and "meaningless" opinions such as these that make this the best and only place to get Bills info and discussion.

Thanks for sharing your opinions.

Loving reading Rich's weekly opinion as well.

And I was going to make this same point last week. The terrible trio is commonplace among most QBs, even the elite ones. Maybe Fitz's are more obvious?

Weekly opinion, agree, great stuff. I love all the gouge on the OL.

I think we're all watching Fitzy more closely because he's been around the league awhile without much expected of him, and we aren't persuaded he has the goods to start for us. And we won't be, until the team starts winning consistently.

Some of Fitzy's muffs are more obvious. I think there are a couple reasons for this.

First, he has a very inexperienced WR core and it's obvious sometimes they aren't on the same page with him.

Second, even when he has the time to throw, he doesn't always have the size of pocket he needs. He's a small guy for an NFL QB. Give him just a couple seconds of a slightly bigger pocket to improve his view of the field and some of the Bull Durham stuff will go by the wayside, I think.

Given a choice between tall and tough, I'll take tough.

Third, though, a guy with a gun-slinger mentality is going to throw INTs. That's just how it is. Kelly threw fewer INTs when he had a great OL and totally on the same page with his WR (and had WR who pulled of some aMAZing catches, frankly). Kelly threw more when some of the pieces were gone. Manning, same thing. Decide whatcha want, a guy who is scared to throw unless all the DBs have fallen down, or a guy who is willing to sling it and sometimes he's wrong. If we had a strong D that could stop the run and get the other team's O off the field, it wouldn't be such a game killer and it wouldn't be so frustrating.

Just my even more meaningless opinion of course.