Sullivan Once Again Proves

TH3

He is a total tool:

The Bills stink if they lose and now they stink if they win:

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/columns/jerry-sullivan/article282247.ece

I disagree ... Sully is right with this one. The Bills have been so bad for so long that we have become numb to it. I believe Gailey is a much better coach than Jauron and he gives me hope. However, the Bills have been terrible at drafting and Nix's first one was not stellar. While not likely I hope the Bills run the table the next three games. If they do then we will have much to look forward to next season.

It is Sully being Sully a total jackass. He fails to see that this team took 3 playoff bound teams to OT. If we are to win one more this year let it be the Pats

I would love to see Sully try to talk down a win over the Pats. He already has an excuse if we beat the Jets, they're a "team on the decline".

I disagree ... Sully is right with this one. The Bills have been so bad for so long that we have become numb to it. I believe Gailey is a much better coach than Jauron and he gives me hope. However, the Bills have been terrible at drafting and Nix's first one was not stellar. While not likely I hope the Bills run the table the next three games. If they do then we will have much to look forward to next season.

Whelp - He is not talking about those topics...he is pretty much talking about how the Bills are now screwng it up by winning....apparently they can't do that correctly either.

One could couch it something like: "The Bills are winning...and while they may cost them the top pick in the draft...it is refreshing to see the team starting to come together"

But no...it just "They are so stupid they are actually winning games"

Edited by baskin

He is a total tool:

The Bills stink if they lose and now they stink if they win:

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/columns/jerry-sullivan/article282247.ece

The best thing is, not 4 weeks ago when the Browns beat the Pats and the Saints he was talking about how good that team was and how it was no longer a winnable game for the Bills. So what, the Bills go and really put a physical whooping on the browns, and suddenly the browns are a bottom feeder? What, all because Colt McCoy didn't play? Does Jerry really think McCoy makes that big a difference in this game? Would Stafford had made that much of a difference in the Lions game? On the contrary - we lost to the Pats with Cassel at QB just as bad as we did with Brady.

JS needs to realize that maybe, jusssst maybe, he is putting way more emphasis on QB than he ought. I actually go with the guy in the football business on this, Coach Gailey - a lot of QBs like fitz have played in the super bowl .... in the 90s and 00s - Aikman, Rypien, Hostetler dilfer, brad johnson, O'Donnell, Gannon, Chandler, etc. I'm not saying Fitz is as good as any of those guys but he certainly could be. You know, I think Jerry and WGR are in cahoots - all they can do is talk about a different QB. what' their deal?

Edited by rpcolosi

Hey Jerry, what do the three "bottom feeders" have in common? Each of them fell so far they were able to draft a "can't miss franchise QB" at least once in the past decade. (The Lions and Browns have done it twice!)

An insightful analyst might notice that, and consider whether it is necessarily such a good thing to prefer losing in order to draft higher.

<_<

I just wish he wasn't a Scrooge so much. He can say that we're happy the Bills won and temper it with how they didn't exactly beat the 1985 Bears, but he didn't need to beat to death how it's nothing to be excited about because they didn't beat an elite team.

I wonder what he would have said had they beaten the Ravens and/or the Steelers in OT...probably some excuse that the opposition had too bad of a day.

Couple of things:

1) Drafting high doesn't guarantee improvement. The Lions pick high ever year and they still stink.

2) The Bills problems aren't caused by drafting #9-11 ever year. It's the dummies making the picks.

3) How about giving Nix the benefit of a year our two before declaring the draft a bust? I also love how we focus on Spiller not being a pro bowler in year one but totally ignore players like Moats, David Nelson and Donald Jones.

As for Sully he changes his mind like a weather vane. His opinion is worthless.

PTR

"Dark decade", blah. "Decade of suck" is much better.

He isn't wrong though. Delhome was more freaking terrible than normal yesterday and they fumbled what, 5 or 6 times?

There were good things yesterday, like not fumbling much and playing within themselves given the weather. But Fitz threw what would have been a couple pick-6 against a good team. And aside from one very nice long TD drive, didn't do much consistently. The only one ripping off good long runs for either team was Fitz.

Only thing worse than winning a game played that poorly is losing a game played that poorly.

But a win is a win.

Edited by CodeMonkey

A

He isn't wrong though. Delhome was more freaking terrible than normal yesterday and they fumbled what, 5 or 6 times?

There were good things yesterday, like not fumbling much and playing within themselves given the weather. But Fitz threw what would have been a couple pick-6 against a good team. And aside from one very nice long TD drive, didn't do much consistently.

Only thing worse than winning a game played that poorly is losing a game played that poorly.

But a win is a win.

The first step is beating the teams you are supposed to beat. How soon we forget that the Bills were supposed to be the worst team in the NFL.

PTR

Hey Jerry, what do the three "bottom feeders" have in common? Each of them fell so far they were able to draft a "can't miss franchise QB" at least once in the past decade. (The Lions and Browns have done it twice!)

An insightful analyst might notice that, and consider whether it is necessarily such a good thing to prefer losing in order to draft higher.

<_<

Hmmm. An insightful reader might also say that you are slamming the Bills for drafting like **** and you don't have confidence in Nix as a GM. :flirt:

A

The first step is beating the teams you are supposed to beat. How soon we forget that the Bills were supposed to be the worst team in the NFL.

PTR

Correct. But Sully did also say that the Bills are overachieving.

That's his shtick. You should know that by now, and the fact that you guys are quoting whiney-ass-punk's column means you actually read his crap.

I try to avoid even looking at the Buffalo Snooze sports page these days, for fear that the ugly rendering of stupid's likeness right above his column will make me puke.

6 and 10 baby!!! :thumbsup:

A great GO BILLSSS Monday to all!!!!

Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam!!!!! 0:)

Edited by The Senator

It is Sully being Sully a total jackass. He fails to see that this team took 3 playoff bound teams to OT. If we are to win one more this year let it be the Pats

I thought Sully had it right this time. Next season will look just like this season unless we a Julius Peppers or three on this team. You will be 8 - 8 Forever unless you have some real stars.

the "oppression of the holidays" line was a bit over the top....he really must be a miserable sod (simplify, jerry!). but i couldn't help but think that the minuses of winning this almost meaningless game outweighed the positives.

Edited by birdog1960

I also love how we focus on Spiller not being a pro bowler in year one but totally ignore players like Moats, David Nelson and Donald Jones.

PTR

Well Promo, does the above lead you to any conclusions? Why do you think we get decent results from ufas and late round picks, and we consistently bomb in round 1. Coincidence?

Well Promo, does the above lead you to any conclusions? Why do you think we get decent results from ufas and late round picks, and we consistently bomb in round 1. Coincidence?

As I posted before there seems to be a dividing line top and bottom picks. My theory has been that the wrong people (Ralph, Dick(less), Marv) were making the top picks and the real football people (Modrak?) were making the rest.

As much as we like to howl about the front office it's a new regime under Nix. Only Modrak remains. So I consider the page turned. Spiller is still adapting, Troup is playing well, Moats is doing great, Batten and Easley are injured, Carrington is getting reps, Nelson and Jones have been great UDFA finds. This draft is hardly the disaster some want to make it out to be.

PTR

Hmmm. An insightful reader might also say that you are slamming the Bills for drafting like **** and you don't have confidence in Nix as a GM. :flirt:

Oh, I got that point, Monkey... though as others have said, Nix has done enough things right in this past year to make one reserve some judgment. And heck, if we know the draft is going to suck, then what difference does it make where they draft?

I !@#$in hate this guy. Whiney doom and gloom always complaining sack of ****. This was a blow up and rebuild season from the word go, and after looking like the worst team in football for the first quarter of the season, they're looking decent and have won 3 of their last 5 games, and dickbag Sulky Sullivan wants to whine about that too. !@#$ him. I can't wait to read this MFrs obit.

I would love to see Sully try to talk down a win over the Pats. He already has an excuse if we beat the Jets, they're a "team on the decline".

First, they have to beat the Pats in order for you to see that.......something that's not going to happen. Which is another reason why Sully's article is true.

As I posted before there seems to be a dividing line top and bottom picks. My theory has been that the wrong people (Ralph, Dick(less), Marv) were making the top picks and the real football people (Modrak?) were making the rest.

Spiller is still adapting

PTR

So are you of the opinion that wrt Spiller, Mr. Wilson sat on his hands and stayed out of it?

Edited by Bill from NYC

There were good things yesterday, like not fumbling much and playing within themselves given the weather. But Fitz threw what would have been a couple pick-6 against a good team. And aside from one very nice long TD drive, didn't do much consistently. The only one ripping off good long runs for either team was Fitz.

But a win is a win.

While I'm far from a fan of Delhomme, doncha thinks it's just possible that the "more...terrible than normal" day he had yesterday could be the result of the Bills defensive play? Let's give credit where credit is due.

As much as we like to howl about the front office it's a new regime under Nix. Only Modrak remains. So I consider the page turned. Spiller is still adapting, Troup is playing well, Moats is doing great, Batten and Easley are injured, Carrington is getting reps, Nelson and Jones have been great UDFA finds. This draft is hardly the disaster some want to make it out to be.

PTR

Yet isn't it the scouting department head's job to rank the players, such that an Aaron Maybin isn't in the same ballpark when the draft list is drawn up as Orapko, Cushing & Matthews?

The Bills couldn't have lost yesterday even if they tried. Cleveland kept coughing up the ball, over and over and over again. I've never seen anything like it.

I guess you forgot the last three outings between the two teams?

Sully is the turd in the punch bowl.

This town has the worst sports media in the country. It's not close. I listen to internet radio. I enjoy listening to Boston, Denver, Indianapolis and others. The quality of the broadcasts, the content, the personalities, the professionalism, wit, style and entertainment value are so far beyond wgr that we're not even in the same stratosphere. Go to radiotime or search google for other sites. You won't regret it guaranteed.

(http://radiotime.com) search by location or sports talk.

Do you people still waste your time with what Sully has to say. Don't read his articles, don't comment on them, don't discuss them, and maybe he will go away. Sully is Buffalo's equal to Skip Baylesss, just says crap to get people all fired up, I doubt he even agrees with what he says, he says it just to say it and get people fired up.

Sully is right. We never beat good QBs.

We never beat bad QBs either (Brady Quinn) :oops:

I think that Jerry Sullivan must hire people to start a thread titled "Sullivan is an a**" every time he writes something new to get the word out and some extra publicity. I mean really, who cares what he writes? If you like him, read it. If not, don't.

I think that Jerry Sullivan must hire people to start a thread titled "Sullivan is an a**" every time he writes something new to get the word out and some extra publicity. I mean really, who cares what he writes? If you like him, read it. If not, don't.

If I don't read it I deprive myself of the joy of calling him an !@#$ for having said it.

What he said was, the Bills beat mediocre teams with bad QB's and never beat good teams with good QB's. True enough. He also said every time they win a few games, people see great things for next year and it never pans out. He also said that the Bills need a few above average players to help the overacheiving players win the close games and become true contenders. All true. We have started our 2nd decade of suck. 3-10. We beat the 2-11 Bengals, 3-10 Lions and 4-9 Browns. I don't see anything wrong with what he wrote. When is the last time the Bills beat a top tier NFL team? When is the last time the Bills played a truly meaningful game? When is the last time they won one of those games?

While I'm far from a fan of Delhomme, doncha thinks it's just possible that the "more...terrible than normal" day he had yesterday could be the result of the Bills defensive play? Let's give credit where credit is due.

No, it was not the result of good Bills defensive play in my opinion.

He sucks. And yesterday he sucked more than normal.

I gave credit where credit was due. The Bills played within themselves and did not turn the ball over like crazy like the Browns did. Also I didn't say, but I should have, that Chan out coached his counterpart. The Browns game plan, if it existed at all, was weak. Chan on the other hand seemed to know what he wanted to do from the opening kickoff.

Edited by CodeMonkey

Yet isn't it the scouting department head's job to rank the players, such that an Aaron Maybin isn't in the same ballpark when the draft list is drawn up as Orapko, Cushing & Matthews?

The scouting staff can rank players all day long. It doesn't mean they get picked if, say, Dick(less) is running the draft room.

PTR

The scouting staff can rank players all day long. It doesn't mean they get picked if, say, Dick(less) is running the draft room.

PTR

Given the chronic drafting futility over the past decade, with different "GMs" and coaches one does have to wonder how Modrak's draft lists of superior players were ignored by the administration.

Judging NFL personnel men should be the easiest job in the world. You look at the guy's list from last year, and see how the players turned out. Either he got the rankings right but was overruled at the draft, or he completely got the rankings wrong and that's who was selected.

You fix the problem in one of two ways. If he had the right rankings, you listen to him a bit more and improve your drafting odds. If he had the wrong rankings, you fire the guy.

Looks like Bills haven't done either. Another sign of an amateur business.