A Few Thoughts About The Game

Bill from NYC

1) Hats off to Chan Gailey for staying committed to running the football. This team needs long drives to keep the defense off the field.

2) Speaking of running, Fitz is a superb running qb. I didn't realize that he has more than 200 yards this season. I looked it up and he had more than 300 yards for the Bengals a few years ago.

3) Bell continues to confound me. With 7:37 left in the first quarter, there was some pushing and shoving after the play. A defensive back (#26) shoved Bell and actually moved him a few feet. On the next play, he gave up the sack/fumble. After that, I focused on Bell on virtually every play. Well, he admittedly held his own, and was blocking well in space. His balance and agility are beyond question imo. But I'm telling you, he is NOT strong enough. At least not yet.

4) How funny was that when Royal dropped that pass? Once I was at a tailgate at RWS, and I commented to a football genius poster here about how Royal was able to get open a lot. He stated that it's because he drops so many passes that they rarely bother covering him. I watched and it was actually true. How is that guy on an NFL roster?

5) I would have liked to see more from Troup and Carrington. Now is the time, or so one would think. I mean, we already know what Spencer Johnson can do, no?

6) Absolutely great play by Moats when he beat Joe Thomas. Yes, Arthur Moats beat freaking Joe Thomas for a sack!!!

7) I noticed that Fitz doesn't often seem to want to put air under the ball, and prefers getting his fastball in there. I saw a play where he would have been successful if he lifted the ball just a bit. Speaking of Fitz, he and Stevie Johnson really have a chemistry. They also congratulate eachother after plays. They must have practiced a lot while they were second stringers.

8) How could one not be impressed by David Nelson? I wish this team could do as well in round 1 as they do with UFAs and late round picks.

9) A win is a win. Yes, I am familiar with that cliche. I am happy about winning but would be a little more psyched about it if Delhomme wasn't just that bad. Seriously, I would prefer Trent Edwards, or even JP Losman to Delhomme.

10) Delhomme or not, congrats to the secondary for a well played game. Whitner had a very important tackle to hold them on 3rd down, and McKelvin the pick and nice hit.

11) Speaking of congrats, Mr. Wilson, by virtue of this win, probably saved a few million on the rookie signing bonus. The rich DO get richer; ain't it the truth?

12) Yet more congrats? Sure.....here's to long suffering, perhaps even self loathing and masochistic Bills Fans on a rare victory. :beer::D

13) GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nice summary, Bell does need to get stronger but does seem to do better in running game vs passing game. No comments on how well Wood did at center? Fitz has alot of tipped balls in the close in game but the guy is a gamer, ya think no air under ball had to do with the conditions? Wasnt clear how windy it was. Moats is a keeper and if we can add 3 more LBs we might have the defense we need.

Bill nice summary again. I had to laugh at that play by Royal - I told my buddy who is a huge Browns fan that "it was the only decent play he ever made for the Bills." I am coming around on Bell. I know he looked like a turnstile against Jared Allen but the coaches should have given him some help - to be honest in that situation the whole line looked overwhelmed.

I am interested to know ... why no comment about wood at center? I thought he played a very solid game. I think the Bills get better next year with Levitre Wood Urbich in the interior.

I continue to be amazed at how fast Delhomme has fallen. Once he had that horrific nightmare of a playoff game, he's never been the same. I don't expect him to be in the league next year.

I live outside Charlotte, and when he played in that last playoff game...the beat reporter was stating that the coaching staff had worked to change his throwing motion after his surgery. He was never the same. I always liked him as a leader.

Should be noted that Bell didn't have much of an offseason - he was injured and rehabbing his knee most of the winter and spring. I'm guessing he wasn't able to hit the weights as much as they'd have liked, and it will be a major focus this offseason. Agree he needs to get stronger and he will. And you gotta be impressed with how much he has improved since entering the league - the fact that he is competent or better 90% of the time is a miracle.

Re: Fitz, did anyone else see what happened when Fitz ran it head-first to the one yard line and got drilled? He got up and said something that made everyone crack up (perhaps, "Who's next?" or "Why the f- did I just do that?"). Anyhow, his teammates love him and play hard for him - that cannot be understated.

It was very hard to see what he was doing on TV, but there WAS more room than usual to run up the middle.

There were quite a few running plays where our OL actually moved the pile 3-4 yards downfield. First time i've seen that since about 1998.

If we add a solid RT either through FA or the draft, and acquire some depth, the OL will be looking nice for next season.

Bill,

13 points and no whitner bashing !!!

Thanks for your thread once again.

Happy holidays

There were quite a few running plays where our OL actually moved the pile 3-4 yards downfield. First time i've seen that since about 1998.

If we add a solid RT either through FA or the draft, and acquire some depth, the OL will be looking nice for next season.

This was one of my frustrations with chan during all those overtime losses. If chan had trusted Freddy and ran the ball, they would have been much better chance to win those games.

Football is not a complicated game...you put on your pads and out muscle in the trenches. The wins will be there

Should be noted that Bell didn't have much of an offseason - he was injured and rehabbing his knee most of the winter and spring. I'm guessing he wasn't able to hit the weights as much as they'd have liked, and it will be a major focus this offseason. Agree he needs to get stronger and he will. And you gotta be impressed with how much he has improved since entering the league - the fact that he is competent or better 90% of the time is a miracle.

Re: Fitz, did anyone else see what happened when Fitz ran it head-first to the one yard line and got drilled? He got up and said something that made everyone crack up (perhaps, "Who's next?" or "Why the f- did I just do that?"). Anyhow, his teammates love him and play hard for him - that cannot be understated.

One hopes that a non-rehab offseason will go a long way for Bell's strength.

Fitz has the type of leadership that rah rah "leaders" simply don't understand. I venture to say Fitz's is far more effective.

Can't believe Bill didn't mention Wood's performance...any thoughts NYC?

I think everyone that wants a new LT drafted, needs to just get comfortable with the notion of Bell playing for quite some time. I do agree with Bill, he needs some strength so that he's not pushed around quite so easily. But, as it's been noted many times, he had almost no strength training last off season. Despite that, he's still been a solid LT for most all of the season. LT is by far not the weakest part of the Oline... finally.

I think we can almost certainly say they same thing about the QB position, as well. Let's face it; we're no longer losing games because of our QB. Fitz has solidified his hold on that position. I'm really looking forward to seeing how he fares against the division over these final 3 weeks. But, at this point, I really find it hard to spend a high draft pick on a position that's being handled quite well.

I'm not great at analyzing OLine play, especially centers; but, Wood seemed to hold his own very well at center. We did seem to get good push and, most importantly, I don't recall many defenders getting penetration up the middle on passing downs. I'm really anxious to see how he does over the next couple of games at center. We really could be 1 RT away from a solid line in 2011. Hard to even fathom.

I loved the Royal drop and thought the same thing... how is he even still in the league?

The run defense is slowly but surely improving. They still have some serious lapses, but could it be they're slowly grasping whatever system Edwards is installing?? I still say run defense is by far the weakest link on the team and LBs and DEs need to be our focus in the off season (probably in that order).

Go Bills!

I just can't get over the fact at how nice it is to see the Bills play good, solid football again. Sure our defense has cost us, and by no means are we where we want to be, but I can't help but be excited about the future of this team and where we can go with Gailey as our coach.

I was truly amazed at how often and successful we were running it up the gut against TWO good NT often playing at the same time. I think Hang has gotten more grief than he deserves and is a competent center, BUT Woods sure looked good.

Yeah, but he's got to work on his short game if he wants to return to prominence. :nana:

I saw the hit and was thinking if that was TE, he would be out with concussion!

Can't believe Bill didn't mention Wood's performance...any thoughts NYC?

I mentioned in post #5 that it was hard to see Wood. Perhaps it was because I didn't watch on a large screen TV. Also, I was focusing on Bell on almost every play (I know, I need a life :) ). But, there was some room up the middle to the extent that Spiller didn't automatically bounce to the outside on every carry.

Once again, I am hoping that the Bills devote important draft resources to OL. Will Mr. Wilson allow them to? Probably, but after round 1. This is merely my opinion.

I mentioned in post #5 that it was hard to see Wood. Perhaps it was because I didn't watch on a large screen TV. Also, I was focusing on Bell on almost every play (I know, I need a life :) ). But, there was some room up the middle to the extent that Spiller didn't automatically bounce to the outside on every carry.

Once again, I am hoping that the Bills devote important draft resources to OL. Will Mr. Wilson allow them to? Probably, but after round 1. This is merely my opinion.

We'll be picking around top 5-6. There's simply no OT prospect worth it that high. We can get a good OT in round 2, and then later on in the late rounds for depth. This OL is better than a lot of people think and 1 RT will go a long way towards making us a good OL.

Bell-Levitre-Wood-Urbik/Hangy-Draft pick as starters with Urbik/Hangy, Wrotto, Wang, and Howard as backups has the makings of a good OL.

We'll be picking around top 5-6. There's simply no OT prospect worth it that high. We can get a good OT in round 2, and then later on in the late rounds for depth. This OL is better than a lot of people think and 1 RT will go a long way towards making us a good OL.

Bell-Levitre-Wood-Urbik/Hangy-Draft pick as starters with Urbik/Hangy, Wrotto, Wang, and Howard as backups has the makings of a good OL.

You are making sense. It appears that this could be one of the rare years where a LT is not drafted early.

http://www.drafthistory.com/positions/t.html

I have said many times that Mr. Wilson will want to draft a QB with the first selection. He spent money on hotels, airline tickerts, etc. for Nix to scout QBs. I don't think he would throw away money like this, but who really knows?

What I DO think is that this draft will make it yet easier to see who controls round 1. What do you think?

Edited by Bill from NYC

You are making sense. It appears that this could be one of the rare years where a LT is not drafted early.

I have said many times that Mr. Wilson will want to draft a QB with the first selection. He spent money on hotels, airline tickerts, etc. for Nix to scout QBs. I don't think he would throw away money like this, but who really knows?

What I DO think is that this draft will make it yet easier to see who controls round 1. What do you think?

We'll have to see not only who we take, but who gets taken before us. Given what i've seen from Stevie/Nelson/Jones/Parrish (pre-injury), i see no reason to take an AJ Green than high. Based off early draft rankings, there's a bunch of DLs up around our slot and possibly a QB.

Its tough to get a good read on how the NFL views the QBs this year. Aside from Luck, you could have 3 other QBs go in round 1, but you could also have none go until the late 20s or so. With the way Fitz has played, i don't see a particular reason to reach for a guy like Mallet or Locker, when you can get a Ponder or Devlin in rounds 2-3.

I've heard this a few times now - about Wilson saying he wants a QB. Ok, fine, but when did he say it? After week 2? An awful lot has changed since the end of September. One of the few times in recent seasons that the pleasant surprises have outweighed the disappointments. Fitzpatrick's command and leadership fall into the pleasant surprises category. Even though they've struggled to find that winning edge, the Bills have been a reasonably entertaining team this year. For us veterans who've been around for a while, it's hard not to see similarities to 1986, when the Bills, a 4-12 squad, showed signs of a team beginning to play like a team.

Sure, the win-loss column still sucks, but there are signs of hope. Light at the end of the tunnel. David Nelson, Moats, Stevie, Donald Jones. Even though he's been a TSW whipping boy, you could make an argument that Kelsay, when put in proper position, has been effective.

Whatever Wilson said two months ago might require some revision after a full season of analysis.

Edited by DML2005

I've heard this a few times now - about Wilson saying he wants a QB. Ok, fine, but when did he say it? After week 2? An awful lot has changed since the end of September. One of the few times in recent seasons that the pleasant surprises have outweighed the disappointments. Fitzpatrick's command and leadership fall into the pleasant surprises category. Even though they've struggled to find that winning edge, the Bills have been a reasonably entertaining team this year. For us veterans who've been around for a while, it's hard not to see similarities to 1986, when the Bills, a 4-12 squad, showed signs of a team beginning to play like a team.

Sure, the win-loss column still sucks, but there are signs of hope. Light at the end of the tunnel. David Nelson, Moats, Stevie, Donald Jones. Even though he's been a TSW whipping boy, you could make an argument that Kelsay, when put in proper position, has been effective.

Whatever Wilson said two months ago might require some revision after a full season of analysis.

The issue isn't whether Fitzpatrick has improved, it's about selling tickets, and with several thousand empty seats, it's clear the Bills aren't placing their current starting QB at the center of any marketing campaign. They need a drawing card and Fitz isn't it. After all, we still have the same owner who demanded Lynch in the wake of McGahee's comments and lo and behold it happened.

This team is not similar to the 86 team. They have no Kelly, Smith, Reed, Talley, Wolford, et al. Not to mention it was a completely different era where a few teams had more of the talent than today's era where talent is spread more equally. Who do they have now? Fitz, Williams, Jackson, St. Johnson? Not even close.

There was supposedly a light at the end of the tunnel in 06-09, but more failure ensued. With RW/Littman/Overdorf running the show, I don't see how things have really changed.

Edited by BillsVet

The issue isn't whether Fitzpatrick has improved, it's about selling tickets, and with several thousand empty seats, it's clear the Bills aren't placing their current starting QB at the center of any marketing campaign. They need a drawing card and Fitz isn't it and we still have the same owner who demanded Lynch in the wake of McGahee's comments.

Yeah, but.....there's alot of people falling in love with Fitz. :thumbsup:

The issue isn't whether Fitzpatrick has improved, it's about selling tickets, and with several thousand empty seats, it's clear the Bills aren't placing their current starting QB at the center of any marketing campaign. They need a drawing card and Fitz isn't it. After all, we still have the same owner who demanded Lynch in the wake of McGahee's comments and lo and behold it happened.

This team is not similar to the 86 team. They have no Kelly, Smith, Reed, Talley, Wolford, et al. Not to mention it was a completely different era where a few teams had more of the talent than today's era where talent is spread more equally. Who do they have now? Fitz, Williams, Jackson, St. Johnson? Not even close.

There was supposedly a light at the end of the tunnel in 06-09, but more failure ensued. With RW/Littman/Overdorf running the show, I don't see how things have really changed.

Please tell me you are Jerry Sullivan. That would explain why you continually go out of your way to be a complete douchebag on a weekly basis.

The reason you don't see any change is because you're only looking (and hoping) for negative things regarding the Bills.

Edited by Ramius

Bill,

13 points and no whitner bashing !!!

Thanks for your thread once again.

Happy holidays

This was one of my frustrations with chan during all those overtime losses. If chan had trusted Freddy and ran the ball, they would have been much better chance to win those games.

Football is not a complicated game...you put on your pads and out muscle in the trenches. The wins will be there

I think we should consider it was not Freddy back then, he did not trust maybe the O line.

I noticed an interview before this game, when Wood playing at center was brought up. Chan got a little giddy in his response. He is pretty dead pan but i thought i saw a start of a smile! he did well this past weekend i believe, very well for first start imho.

Watching the changes in the offensive line, and how they are responding ( coaches and players )is really interesting. and as a bills fan i think i see something good going on.

A bit more skilled depth from draft who can go either side when in need and or fa stud at rt. but i am leaning towards a monster pass rush from end and LB and someone.. who can just fill up a gap or demand a double to keep away from their QB. Doesnt seem too much to ask from off season does it?

1) Hats off to Chan Gailey for staying committed to running the football. This team needs long drives to keep the defense off the field.

2) Speaking of running, Fitz is a superb running qb. I didn't realize that he has more than 200 yards this season. I looked it up and he had more than 300 yards for the Bengals a few years ago.

3) Bell continues to confound me. With 7:37 left in the first quarter, there was some pushing and shoving after the play. A defensive back (#26) shoved Bell and actually moved him a few feet. On the next play, he gave up the sack/fumble. After that, I focused on Bell on virtually every play. Well, he admittedly held his own, and was blocking well in space. His balance and agility are beyond question imo. But I'm telling you, he is NOT strong enough. At least not yet.

4) How funny was that when Royal dropped that pass? Once I was at a tailgate at RWS, and I commented to a football genius poster here about how Royal was able to get open a lot. He stated that it's because he drops so many passes that they rarely bother covering him. I watched and it was actually true. How is that guy on an NFL roster?

5) I would have liked to see more from Troup and Carrington. Now is the time, or so one would think. I mean, we already know what Spencer Johnson can do, no?

6) Absolutely great play by Moats when he beat Joe Thomas. Yes, Arthur Moats beat freaking Joe Thomas for a sack!!!

7) I noticed that Fitz doesn't often seem to want to put air under the ball, and prefers getting his fastball in there. I saw a play where he would have been successful if he lifted the ball just a bit. Speaking of Fitz, he and Stevie Johnson really have a chemistry. They also congratulate eachother after plays. They must have practiced a lot while they were second stringers.

8) How could one not be impressed by David Nelson? I wish this team could do as well in round 1 as they do with UFAs and late round picks.

9) A win is a win. Yes, I am familiar with that cliche. I am happy about winning but would be a little more psyched about it if Delhomme wasn't just that bad. Seriously, I would prefer Trent Edwards, or even JP Losman to Delhomme.

10) Delhomme or not, congrats to the secondary for a well played game. Whitner had a very important tackle to hold them on 3rd down, and McKelvin the pick and nice hit.

11) Speaking of congrats, Mr. Wilson, by virtue of this win, probably saved a few million on the rookie signing bonus. The rich DO get richer; ain't it the truth?

12) Yet more congrats? Sure.....here's to long suffering, perhaps even self loathing and masochistic Bills Fans on a rare victory. :beer::D

Did anyone catch the interview with Kyle Williams after the game?

Yeah, but.....there's alot of people falling in love with Fitz. :thumbsup:

Yesterday's game being blacked out, I didn't get to watch Fitz. How did he look?

One thing I really like about him; he rarely makes dumb mistakes. That's big in my book..

I think you are way off base on this. I believe we will see Fitz and Stevie marketed extensively this off-season. If the front office is going to market a new QB who would that be? Mallet ot Locker, because we don't have a chance of getting Luck IF he comes out? If the FO wants to just sell tickets they will go out and outbid everyone for Vick. I think the chances of the Bills drafting a QB in the 1st 5 rounds are slim to none, which I will be just fine with. This team needs to prioritize the OLB, DL, RT and TE in this draft or FA, QB has fallen off the list.

Good summary Bill.

I loved the running game on the last drive. Long overdue.

Royal was awesome.

If Nx felt there was a qb ranked at his drafting positon and he felt that that partiuclar player had the potential to be a franchise qb I would certainly have no problem taking such a player. Assuming that the Bills are not in positon to draft Luck and the scouting staff ranked Newton as a top 5-9 player then I would have no problem with his selection. If selling tickets is part of the equation then what is wrong with that? Owning a franchise is also owning a business.

There is a fixation and over-emphasis on the first pick. What is going to lift the franchise out of its malaise is the number of contributing players the Bills are going to get out of each draft. If they can be successful in a string of drafts (3) then that will be the difference in developing a serious team.

Until there is a critical mass of good players this franchise is still going to underachieve. In hindsight, I think last year's draft was productive, especially the backside of the draft. If Easley turns out to be good and maybe Batten turns out to be a decent player then our first draft under Nix was a good indication that he has a competency in evaluating players. Although you have some doubts I still believe that in the near future the Spiller pick will prove to be a good pick for us.

I live outside Charlotte, and when he played in that last playoff game...the beat reporter was stating that the coaching staff had worked to change his throwing motion after his surgery. He was never the same. I always liked him as a leader.

I also live in Charlotte and follow the Panthers. I agree with this 100%. Before the surgery he was a guy who could manage a strong team and be successful. After the surgery, he was done.

Please tell me you are Jerry Sullivan. That would explain why you continually go out of your way to be a complete douchebag on a weekly basis.

The reason you don't see any change is because you're only looking (and hoping) for negative things regarding the Bills.

I'm not Jerry but he's living rent free in a lot of fans' heads around here including yours. The nerve to complain about a 3-10 team. How dare Jerry and me have the audacity!

If I was the Bills' GM, I'd do the following in the first round:

Preference #1: trade up in the draft to acquire Luck. That would likely involve giving up the Bills' first round pick, Fitzpatrick, and probably at least one other thing of major value.

Preference #2: Add a solid RDE well-suited for the 3-4.

Preference #3: Add a WR like Green.

Preference #4: Add a pass rushing OLB.

Then in the second round I'd likely take a RT; assuming there was one there worth taking, and assuming I still had a second round pick after the hoped-for Luck trade. I'd also strongly consider taking Ponder in the second round, assuming he was still available.

If you were the Bills' GM, what would you do in the 2011 draft?

Edited by Edwards' Arm

I would draft Mallett or trade down. I'm sure there will be many offers if Newton and/or Mallett is available.

What if the scouting department determines that Newton is a better prospect? Would you advocate taking him with the first pick?

Although I favor Newton over Mallett for a number of reasons if our scouting department doesn't believe that these qbs are worthy of being picked so high then they should follow their draft board and take their more highly rated prospects.

There are a variety of opinions regarding the positions they should first address. My belief is that they should for the most part stay true to their player rankings and bring in the best players they can. If an OT is rated higher than a LB/DE then take the higher rated player. Reaching for a need is the worst strategy to take in the draft.

Edited by JohnC

What if the scouting department determines that Newton is a better prospect? Would you advocate taking him with the first pick?

Although I favor Newton over Mallett for a number of reasons if our scouting department doesn't believe that these qbs are worthy of being picked so high then they should follow their draft board and take their more highly rated prospects.

There are a variety of opinions regarding the positions they should first address. My belief is that they should for the most part stay true to their player rankings and bring in the best players they can. If an OT is rated higher than a LB/DE then take the higher rated player. Reaching for a need is the worst strategy to take in the draft.

I agree with all of the above, unless the highest rated player is a RB or a DB. I wouldn't care if the highest rated DB is thought to be better than Mel Blount or Ronnie Lott. The Bills need to get bigger and stronger up front. Period.

The only exception I can see is if they think a particular QB will be great. At that point it wouldn't be wise to pass on him.

I agree with all of the above, unless the highest rated player is a RB or a DB. I wouldn't care if the highest rated DB is thought to be better than Mel Blount or Ronnie Lott. The Bills need to get bigger and stronger up front. Period.

The only exception I can see is if they think a particular QB will be great. At that point it wouldn't be wise to pass on him.

We are in accord. We are simpatico. :thumbsup:

Perhaps the scouting department should consider its instincts, and go against them, given the track record!