Chan Gailey......

Spiderweb

Since he was hired, I've listened to many excerpts from his pressers and I have to say, I genuinely like listening to want he has to say. He's an exact opposite of what Marv Levy & Co. gave us when they hired Jauron. He speaks well (with a bit of southern drawl), generally has something to of value to say in response to questions, both good and bad. To me, he gives the impression that he's a well grounded, honest, man of good character. In all my years of following the Bills, I enjoy listening to Gailey more than any HC and that includes Marv.

With the Bills opening the season so horribly with Edwards and an offense that couldn't get out of it own way, a defense that was so bad that to say it leaked like a sieve would be to do injustice to a sieve, the team has come together impressively. From the Bills being the joke of the media guys and maybe the league, to a team I dare to say, that seem capable of playing with anybody. Chan and much of his staff have done a good job learning the best way to utilize the players he has. Defense has improved, although much work remains, especially in run defense and ability to get a consistent pass rush (yes, our pass rush against the Steelers was as good as we've seen in quite some time.

The offense, which Chan is highly involved with has become, again dare I say it, explosive. It may struggle a bit from time to time, but it has also shown to be one that can explode at any given time, unlike the offense of the few years and the start of this season.

If all Nix ever does for the Bills is to give us Gailey, at least he's done one good solid piece of work there. Now here's to hoping that Nix will rely heavily on input from Gailey, and that Modrak will soon be spending his time in Florida retired.

May have been the right choice? I give CG the lionshare of the credit for the difference in play from these Bills. He is only 12 games into the job! I can't wait for next season when they will have a better understanding of the identity of the team, and will be able to shore up the weaknesses. Free agents might even consider Buffalo a good team to sign with!

Edited by Matthews' Bag

Chan is no Hall of Fame coach.

However, he's doing better than I thought he would, and I definitely like him better than Jauron.

How many coaches make the HoF? Lot's of good coaches don't, I know that. I don't think anyone was nominating Marv Levy prior to his Bills tenure, in fact he was a bit of a joke (the Wing-T Offense?) So many things have to go right for a player or coach to have a HoF career. One good QB can make or break the careers of a group of coaches and players. Would Jerry Rice have ever won a Super Bowl if he was drafted by the Detroit Lions? Or would he have made Eric Hipple a HoFer? I don't know.

Point is, the situation and different characters in the play have to be right.

All I really know is that CG has worked miracles with an offense that had been dead for many seasons. It's really impressive to me. Where he can take this team is uncertain, but he is only 12 games in and has made some big changes and layed the groundwork for more improvements.

Who is a HOF coach? Shanahan at 5-6 after spending a boatload of money on the team? I don't get how some people won't aknowledge the fact that what you DO is more important than your NAME. And as for the team, no, where you stand isn't always who you are. Chan Gailey is doing a superb job developing a young team. I can't imagine anyone handling the set bof circumstances in Buffalo better than he is.

To be clear, the Hall of Fame reference was intentional hyperbole. I just meant that while I don't view Chan as one of the league's top coaches, I also don't view him as one of the league's worst, either.

I get ya. I 'm trying to say that he might be as good as some of the guys in the HoF. Honestly, I don't think Marv Levy is some kind of genius coach, he was in a situation that played to his strengths. I don't think Bill Cowher is a mastermind, he was a good coach that benefited from having a solid organization that gave him (just as they have Mike Tomlin) real authority. No one would question him because the Steelers pick a guy and stand by him! Not all coaches are so lucky.

I don't think there is another coach that would have improved this team more than CG has. There are some coaches that would have a better record! Dick Jauron probably would! He would Rope-a-Dope his way past a few more teams, but they would still be directionless, and not really improving. But this season is an overhaul, and they are doing a great job of changing the team. The schedule is tough this season, but the team is so obviously better, and is developing an identity.

Edited by Matthews' Bag

The way we're competing, I'd say he's done a great job with a bunch of nobody's. We're starting to turn things around, maybe not in the W-L column but definately in the Attitude column. I can't wait till next season. Again I hope they go Gung-Ho in FA and have a great draft and get this team in contention for a championship.

Since he was hired, I've listened to many excerpts from his pressers and I have to say, I genuinely like listening to want he has to say. He's an exact opposite of what Marv Levy & Co. gave us when they hired Jauron. He speaks well (with a bit of southern drawl), generally has something to of value to say in response to questions, both good and bad. To me, he gives the impression that he's a well grounded, honest, man of good character. In all my years of following the Bills, I enjoy listening to Gailey more than any HC and that includes Marv.

With the Bills opening the season so horribly with Edwards and an offense that couldn't get out of it own way, a defense that was so bad that to say it leaked like a sieve would be to do injustice to a sieve, the team has come together impressively. From the Bills being the joke of the media guys and maybe the league, to a team I dare to say, that seem capable of playing with anybody. Chan and much of his staff have done a good job learning the best way to utilize the players he has. Defense has improved, although much work remains, especially in run defense and ability to get a consistent pass rush (yes, our pass rush against the Steelers was as good as we've seen in quite some time.

The offense, which Chan is highly involved with has become, again dare I say it, explosive. It may struggle a bit from time to time, but it has also shown to be one that can explode at any given time, unlike the offense of the few years and the start of this season.

If all Nix ever does for the Bills is to give us Gailey, at least he's done one good solid piece of work there. Now here's to hoping that Nix will rely heavily on input from Gailey, and that Modrak will soon be spending his time in Florida retired.

You know I do have to say that the Bills were a laughing stock. Most said they would be lucky and I say lucky to win one game. When we played Pitt this Sunday it showed to me that they will turn the corner a little faster than what I thought. I said Buffalo would go 8-8 and maybe 9-7. I was wrong, but take those few games and flip them around then they are on track. I BILLieved Chan the Man would do it. If he couldn't fix Trent then no one can. I liked the fact that he tried everything he could to help Trent out. The team saw that most, but now the fans can. If he had Fitz in there, maybe we would have won a couple other games in the beginning, but he wanted to do what he could with Trent. For that, I give him mad props alone. He didn't give up until he knew for sure Trent was not able to adapt. It happens, and Trent tried, just he couldn't grasp it. Now he has a new project in Fitz, and if his football IQ is really that high, then there is no telling what we can expect. Fitz is no Manning by any means though, but if Chan the Man says he's good, then I BILLIEVE.

He's the best. This team is awesome right now. I was just talking to my bro about it last night- even the last few years when they'd WIN games, they were still miserable and unlikeable! Think at Miami 2007, at Carolina last year, at the Jets last year, etc., etc. Even in defeat, you can't help but love the direction of this team. Their offensive line, after last week's game is OFFICIALLY GOOD RIGHT NOW! They've given up 16 sacks in 9 games since Fitzpatrick took over. That aint too bad for a team that passes almost every play. After I walked out of the Green Bay game after week 2, I was embarrassed to be wearing my Bills jersey and now I can't wait to go to the New England game and sport my Leonard Smith jersey once again!

only 7 teams have given up more sacks this year than the steelers. Big Ben always takes a lot of sacks, he had 50 last year, 50!

Wait a second....if the team did what is was supposed to do, how can you spin that negatively?

If they didnt get to Ben, that would be bad. But they did...and thats not big deal? Eh?

Wait a second....if the team did what is was supposed to do, how can you spin that negatively?

If they didnt get to Ben, that would be bad. But they did...and thats not big deal? Eh?

No no no, they did a good job of getting to big ben, but everyone does, he gives up a ton of sacks.

My point is that stat from sunday shouldnt be cherry picked from a poor defensive season to show that somehow the D is getting so much better.

The Bills D is worse this year than they were before Gailey, but the offense is better. Thats the point.

No no no, they did a good job of getting to big ben, but everyone does, he gives up a ton of sacks.

My point is that stat from sunday shouldnt be cherry picked from a poor defensive season to show that somehow the D is getting so much better.

The Bills D is worse this year than they were before Gailey, but the offense is better. Thats the point.

Got it....

I dont think you can look at stats/win losses and other numerical figures to judge Gaileys job this year, especially given what he has to work with.

What I think we are looking for is overall tone, direction and attitutude of the club. How Gailey is shaping and running his Program. Are players working hard, is their attitude good, and is talent and level of play progressing, staying stagnant or regressing? Judging on those criteria, hes done an excellent job, IMO.

Edited by RkFast

I do like listening to Gailey speak. He seems like a good, honest man and he knows his football and what it takes to be a winner. Right now I'm very glad he's our coach and he's gonna lead this club back to respectability and hopefully a playoff berth.

We are catching a glimpse of Chan Gailey with famine conditions, talent wise, and I'm fairly sure that with a team flush with more talent next year, he will prove out to be the right choice for the Buffalo Bills. Think about it, 32nd ranked run defense but we take Baltimore and Pittsburgh to overtime.... classic!! He will win in Buffalo, I'm sold on that notion.

I like him personally... and the Bills are putting up a fight.

But fact is, we haven't been winning games with him as head coach. Better improve next year, or its on to the next guy...

It's kinda been a weird season. Right now, I don't feel like coaching is the main reason we're losing games. The coaches are actually making some nice adjustments, calling some good plays and putting these players in position to win games (especially in the 2nd half). It's just been mistakes on the field that are costing them wins. Plus the overall talent level is not on par with the better clubs (especially on D). I killed Gailey at the beginning of the season for starting Trent and Lynch but they quickly rectified that situation. I actually think the Bills are in much better shape at head coach and QB than alot of people thought they were a few weeks ago.

With some, you're damned if you do and damned if you don't. Solid reply. :thumbsup:

Edited by Spiderweb

As someone who is a GT season ticket holder and believes that Chan Gailey is one of the worst coaches GT has ever had, I strongly disagreed with the decision to hire him. But I have to say, he's done a solid job with the Bills. He's a different guy than he was at GT. Maybe a light bulb went off for him between jobs, but it's amazing how different he is, both in how he handles the media and how he calls games. He was VERY conservative at GT and watching GT play was like watching paint dry. I don't know what happened, but whatever it was I'm glad!! :thumbsup:

Sure. Let's bring Dick Jauron back.

PTR

I didn't say that. :)

I think Chan has a better chance than Dick at providing us with a winning team.

He hasn't been successful thus far.

It's kinda been a weird season. Right now, I don't feel like coaching is the main reason we're losing games. The coaches are actually making some nice adjustments, calling some good plays and putting these players in position to win games (especially in the 2nd half). It's just been mistakes on the field that are costing them wins. Plus the overall talent level is not on par with the better clubs (especially on D). I killed Gailey at the beginning of the season for starting Trent and Lynch but they quickly rectified that situation. I actually think the Bills are in much better shape at head coach and QB than alot of people thought they were a few weeks ago.

Indeed. If moral victories counted, we'd be doing pretty well. We tend to be competitive most games, and increasingly so as the season goes on.

The fact is though, wins and losses are all that counts at the end of the day, and we aren't getting enough wins. Whether there needs to be better coaching to get our players to perform during crunch time, or if we need different players, I don't know. All I know is 2-9 is not acceptable, imo.

I met Gailey at Training Camp this year. One time, after practice he grabbed Trent Edwards by the shoulder pads and tried to speak with him. Trent acted very disinterested, unreceptive to the coach. I told my son that based on Trent's pre-season attitude and lack of motivation, they would get rid of him mid-season.

Gailey is a genuine man, after practice Chan spoke to my 10 year old son for quite some time. I feel like this team will be very competitive, and the system will generate wins and fans will be proud again.

Edited by johnk

... I think the biggest thing Chan did for the team was when the fans heckled Edwards in training camp. He jumped in and said we lose and win with this team (I Know not a perfect quote) He got bashed in the press for going after fans but guess what I bet the team got the message big time! He had the teams respect more than ever then.

... I think the biggest thing Chan did for the team was when the fans heckled Edwards in training camp. He jumped in and said we lose and win with this team (I Know not a perfect quote) He got bashed in the press for going after fans but guess what I bet the team got the message big time! He had the teams respect more than ever then.

And he still does. The press conference yesterday showed again that he's behind this team. Didn't he even say that not only does the team have Stevies back, but so does he! So did Fitz.

Also it was good to see the rookies and second year players contributing. Some may call this a throw away year, but I think Chan and Buddy might be pulling a "rope-a-dope" on this league.