Why does Chan never run the ball in OT

mike6683

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone have any idea what our run to pass ratio is in OT this year. It really annoys me when we are on the edge of field goal range and chan is consistantly running 5 wide sets when we only need 5 yards.

was it annoying when Fitz threw a perfect 40 yard strike for a TD that was dropped?

My opinion is that Gailey is basically having Fitz shoulder the load to see if he's his QB of the future. Gailey knows the season is over so wins don't mean as much as finding his QB. Hence so few runs later in games and in OT.

I agree with the original poster. Another thing somewhat unrelated as to WHY Chan throws a lot, is the lack of a threat at the TE position in the offense really, REALLY hurts this team in those situations. If I am Nix and Co, I am making the Front 7 and a pass catching TE the absolute top priorities come the off-season.

Does anyone have any idea what our run to pass ratio is in OT this year. It really annoys me when we are on the edge of field goal range and chan is consistantly running 5 wide sets when we only need 5 yards.

I'm starting to see Gailey as basically a Kevin Gilbride: Throw the ball, no matter what, and then throw some more.

58.5 % pass plays

41.5 % run plays

I don't know what the OT numbers are.

My opinion is that Gailey is basically having Fitz shoulder the load to see if he's his QB of the future. Gailey knows the season is over so wins don't mean as much as finding his QB. Hence so few runs later in games and in OT.

Your crazy....winning is everything. If you don't develop a winning attitude now next year will be to late as well. If you watched the game we couldn't run the ball at all and the best part about our offense is the pass. Fitz is our QB of the future at least for the next couple of years.

Your crazy....winning is everything. If you don't develop a winning attitude now next year will be to late as well. If you watched the game we couldn't run the ball at all and the best part about our offense is the pass. Fitz is our QB of the future at least for the next couple of years.

I never said that Gailey doesn't want to win. If anything, airing it out shows he wants to be aggressive.

Edited by Doc

I agree and disagree.

1) I agree that when we've been on the cusp of a GW FG (Chiefs, Ravens, and now Steelers games), the playcalling freezes up and we become too one dimensional. On the 40 yard line, all you need is five yards.

2) I disagree to the extent that you're suggesting that Chan didn't call a balanced game overall today. Chan said he wanted to run "effectively" today, and I thought they did just that-- e.g., I think Jackson averaged over 5 ypc. You're not going to run on the Steelers; so to be able to pick your spots to get 5 ypc is tremendous.

why does everyone say we need a TE. gailey has so many WRs on the field a TE wont make it out there anyway and if he does hes gonna be a blocker. i just dont think a TE is a position gailey uses as much. you got WRs to do most of the receiving in his style of offense it looks like

I agree and disagree.

1) I agree that when we've been on the cusp of a GW FG (Chiefs, Ravens, and now Steelers games), the playcalling freezes up and we become too one dimensional. On the 40 yard line, all you need is five yards.

2) I disagree to the extent that you're suggesting that Chan didn't call a balanced game overall today. Chan said he wanted to run "effectively" today, and I thought they did just that-- e.g., I think Jackson averaged over 5 ypc. You're not going to run on the Steelers; so to be able to pick your spots to get 5 ypc is tremendous.

45 pass attempts.

15 rushing attempts.

I see no balance or even the hint of balance.

45 pass attempts.

15 rushing attempts.

I see no balance or even the hint of balance.

We were playing the Steelers who shut down the run on the best teams but cough up gobs of pass yards. Our line is still weak on run blocking and the game was ours save a dropped pass. Chan gameplans based on our personnel and what the other te gives us. It's called good coaching.

We were playing the Steelers who shut down the run on the best teams but cough up gobs of pass yards. Our line is still weak on run blocking and the game was ours save a dropped pass. Chan gameplans based on our personnel and what the other te gives us. It's called good coaching.

Overtime:

Play By Play Overtime 11/28/2010

BUF wins toss, elects to Receive, and PIT elects to defend the South goal.

S.Suisham kicks 67 yards from PIT 30 to BUF 3. L.McKelvin to PIT 48 for 49 yards (S.Suisham).

Buffalo Bills at 15:00, (1st play from scrimmage 14:51)

1-10-PIT 48 (14:51) (Shotgun) R.Fitzpatrick pass incomplete deep right to L.Evans. Thrown wide of receiver at PIT 12.

(14:45) (Shotgun) R.Fitzpatrick pass short right to D.Nelson to PIT 41 for 7 yards (J.Harrison, J.Farrior). Caught in

flat at PIT 42.

2-10-PIT 48

3-3-PIT 41 (14:03) (Shotgun) R.Fitzpatrick pass incomplete short left to D.Jones (R.Clark). Receiver and coverage at PIT 38.

4-3-PIT 41 (13:59) B.Moorman punts 37 yards to PIT 4, Center-G.Sanborn, out of bounds.

Buffalo Bills at 12:04

(12:04) (Shotgun) R.Fitzpatrick pass incomplete short right to D.Jones (T.Polamalu). Receiver and coverage in flat at

BUF 40.

1-10-BUF 34

(12:00) (Shotgun) R.Fitzpatrick pass short middle to F.Jackson to BUF 47 for 13 yards (J.Harrison, R.Clark). Caught

at BUF 41.

2-10-BUF 34 P18

1-10-BUF 47 (11:22) F.Jackson up the middle to PIT 40 for 13 yards (L.Woodley, A.Madison). R19

1-10-PIT 40 (10:38) R.Fitzpatrick pass incomplete deep left to St. Johnson. Pass dropped, 1 yd. into end zone.

Timeout #1 by BUF at 10:30.

2-10-PIT 40 (10:30) (Shotgun) R.Fitzpatrick scrambles up the middle to PIT 36 for 4 yards (L.Timmons; C.Hampton).

3-6-PIT 36 (9:45) (Shotgun) R.Fitzpatrick sacked at PIT 39 for -3 yards (J.Farrior).

4-9-PIT 39 (9:27) B.Moorman punts 39 yards to end zone, Center-G.Sanborn, Touchback. Kick into end zone.

8 passes, 1 run, 1 scramble and 1 sack.

It's called predictable.

Edited by SoCal-Surf

why does everyone say we need a TE. gailey has so many WRs on the field a TE wont make it out there anyway and if he does hes gonna be a blocker. i just dont think a TE is a position gailey uses as much. you got WRs to do most of the receiving in his style of offense it looks like

Gailey used Gonzalez a lot in KC in 2008 and a good TE always causes matchup problems. I'd prefer going for one in FA since it seems hard to get one in the draft.

Is that comment based off any of his history? Or just that we have bad TEs that he doesn't like to use and your globalizing it to his career? I know he has trends I just have no idea his history with that position.

I will politely disagree. I cannot conceive of a head coach who does not have winning as the #1 priority.

Plus, Fitz has tons of opportunity to show his reaction to pressure: four losses by three points each - two in OT.

He has game, close but no cigar. The blatant drops are not on Fitz.