Why does Chan never run the ball in OT

mike6683

2 points a bit more balance would be great (I think it has to do with our Oline personal and sucess with the pass though) and yeah a run or 2 in the maroon zone would be good.

Second, Bob is so right in saying we need a money TE. To pick up blitz and to catch just like the backs do.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone have any idea what our run to pass ratio is in OT this year. It really annoys me when we are on the edge of field goal range and chan is consistantly running 5 wide sets when we only need 5 yards.

Stevie catches that ball and you'd have never even thought to write this...don't question the playcalling, it's good! It's a matter of execution. We've had plenty of opportunities to put these games away (meaning the 3 OT losses). This team is on its way, but we haven't crossed the threshold yet...that's what sets us apart from 2-9 & 6-5.

2 points a bit more balance would be great (I think it has to do with our Oline personal and sucess with the pass though) and yeah a run or 2 in the maroon zone would be good.

Second, Bob is so right in saying we need a money TE. To pick up blitz and to catch just like the backs do.

If you have a 3rd or 4th WR that is better than the TE, Chan is going to play him all the time. Fred Jackson and Martin were picking up the Blitz effectively and giving time for Fitz to make his throws.

If you have a 3rd or 4th WR that is better than the TE, Chan is going to play him all the time. Fred Jackson and Martin were picking up the Blitz effectively and giving time for Fitz to make his throws.

A 3rd or 4th WR option is beter than any of our TEs but not better than the top TE in the league. Look at hwo we get shredded by TEs.

We need a big target with great hands that can also block.

People who are saying we are a passing team do not get it. One dimension will not win in this league. Punting from the 40 is getting old.

Edited by Bob in STL

45 pass attempts.

15 rushing attempts.

I see no balance or even the hint of balance.

Gailey basically hinted at this kind of game plan coming into the game. He wanted to be "effective" running the ball. You're not going to do that running the ball 50%+ of the time against the best rushing defense in the league. They ran it 15 times; but the ypc was awesome. Well called game overall (though, again, would have liked to see some timely run plays in OT when we were so close to a FG).

Gailey basically hinted at this kind of game plan coming into the game. He wanted to be "effective" running the ball. You're not going to do that running the ball 50%+ of the time against the best rushing defense in the league. They ran it 15 times; but the ypc was awesome. Well called game overall (though, again, would have liked to see some timely run plays in OT when we were so close to a FG).

Throwing the ball 15 times and running it ONCE in over time is NOT EFFECTIVE. The Bills had a chance to put it away when they were at the 40...They missed the boat on that.

Throwing the ball 15 times and running it ONCE in over time is NOT EFFECTIVE. The Bills had a chance to put it away when they were at the 40...They missed the boat on that.

They had a chance to put it away doing what they were doing. And not only in this game, but others.

However, Fred Jackson was running the ball very well and in fact had move the team from the 35 to the Steelers 40.

I think both Gailey and Fitzpatrick said that the game plan, which worked, was to spread them out and pass pass pass, therefore opening them up for some sporadic run plays because they could not run against them man to man. That's why we could run, because we passed so much. If we just ran, we would have gotten killed.

Stevie catches that ball and you'd have never even thought to write this...don't question the playcalling, it's good! It's a matter of execution. We've had plenty of opportunities to put these games away (meaning the 3 OT losses). This team is on its way, but we haven't crossed the threshold yet...that's what sets us apart from 2-9 & 6-5.

Actually Ive been watching this ever since the chiefs game it bothered me then. And we keep repeating the same bad play calling and keep getting the same result. All im saying is 5 yard and we at least have a chance to kick the ball. I think people keep looking past the main point I think the game as a whole was called well but give yourself the chance to win.

In general I think you have a point. I have noticed myself in the 3 OT games that Chan is letting Fitz air it out but I think yesterday was more about the wind. I remember the broadcasters saying at the beginning of OT that the wind was now at the back of the Steelers and GUSTING in to the face of the Bills. I don't know how much that played a factor (watching on TV in albany and not at the Ralph) but with Lindell missing like he has, maybe Chan was more confident in Fitz and Stevies ability to get the job done and to be fair the lack of a catch doesn't prove him wrong. Obviously the play call was correct on that shot but when it was dropped I feel like maybe the team kind of lost the momentum.

8 passes and 1 run is unacceptable in OT. That's WHEN you run, when the other defense is exhausted. I'm getting sick of punting the ball at the 40 yard line because we can't pick up 6 yards in 2 downs. Yeah, Stevie dropped the pass, but we shouldve won the game multiple times besides that. Give me all the "Steelers run defense...blah blah" argument you want, but Freddy was averaging 5ypg, so we were pretty effective. Run your best 2 running plays, get the 6-7 yards and take a shot at the 50 yard field goal. The way he was running the ball you might pick up more or the 1st down.

This is now the 3rd OT we've blown by only passing the ball. Very valid point by the original poster and should be the focal point of conversation on this game, not the Stevie drop.

Why didn't we kick the FG at the 40 yard line? It's a 55 yard attempt, Lindell can do it. A punt is like waving the white flag to me. Or go for first down if the FG is unmakable.

Does anyone have any idea what our run to pass ratio is in OT this year. It really annoys me when we are on the edge of field goal range and chan is consistantly running 5 wide sets when we only need 5 yards.

They were passing because they weren't having much success running against the Steeler defense

I think both Gailey and Fitzpatrick said that the game plan, which worked, was to spread them out and pass pass pass, therefore opening them up for some sporadic run plays because they could not run against them man to man. That's why we could run, because we passed so much. If we just ran, we would have gotten killed.

Excellent post. The only way teams have moved against the steelers this year is to spread them out. The Steelers NT Casey Hampton is too strong in the middle, and the linebackers too fast flowing to gaps to try a power running game.

Why didn't we kick the FG at the 40 yard line? It's a 55 yard attempt, Lindell can do it. A punt is like waving the white flag to me. Or go for first down if the FG is unmakable.

A kick at the 40-yard line is a 57 yard kick (you always add 17 yards since the kick is 7 yards back from LOS and it's 10 yards deep to get to the back of the EZ, where the uprights are). Lindell has had trouble, and had he missed, the Steelers would have gotten the ball at their 47 yard line.

A kick at the 40-yard line is a 57 yard kick (you always add 17 yards since the kick is 7 yards back from LOS and it's 10 yards deep to get to the back of the EZ, where the uprights are). Lindell has had trouble, and had he missed, the Steelers would have gotten the ball at their 47 yard line.

I think Lindell makes that kick, the earlier kicks Lindell made had lots of distance thru the upright. I knew when we punted the game was going to slip away. You only get so many chances to win.

That would be a 57 yard attempt and I woudl say Lindell has a 1 in 3 chance of making that kick. Less in wind. I was not at the game but I read that we were going against the wind in OT.

We really needed 6 to 10 more yards to improve his chances at a long FG.

Gailey doesn't know what to do in OT? LOL! In case you haven't been paying attention, the Bills had chances to win every OT game, but had a player or players come up small. Yesterday was a perfect example.

They lost all three games.

In Baltimore OT, 3 and out--all passes.

In KC OT 3 possessions:

1st possession: 1st and 10 at KC 43----1 run (leading to a penalty and a 1st down), the 3 passes and punt

2nd possession: 7 passes, 1 run. Missed FG

3rd possession: 3 runs--> 1st down at KC 44, 5 passes---> punt

In Steelers OT 2 possessions

1st possession: 1st and 10 on Pitt 48----3 passes and punt.

2nd possession: 1 run play (for 13 yards!!) 5 passes--including 3 and out including a 3 and out on 1st and 10 form the Pitt 40.

You see a pattern here? 6 OT possessions. 5 of them reach inside opponent's side of the field (including the 40, 41 ,43). 26 passes, 6 runs. One FG attempt. 3 losses.

They had another chance after the missed FG. They had another chance after the dropped pass.