What position would you draft...

I just read a really interesting interview on the Buffalo Rumblings blog with one of SB Nation's draftniks, Dan Kadar. Like many other people who scout college players, he admits to having rated Locker WAY too high. In fact he claims that the only blue-chip QB prospect out there is Andrew Luck.

My question is, if Luck isn't available, in which direction do the Bills go with their 1st round pick? What's really interesting is that, so far, there are no demonstrably elite offensive tackles this year; in many of the mocks I've seen, there's not an OT taken until late in the first round.

If the Bills are in a high enough position, I would love to see this team take DE/OLB Robert Quinn out of North Carolina. The guy's a pass rushing monster, which is obviously an area of huge need. I wouldn't mind Georgia WR AJ Green either to give some kind of spark to our offense.

Any thoughts? Here's the link to the Rumblings article, by the way:

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2010/10/2/1724169/rumblings-draft-scouting-kadar-interview-week-5-preview#storyjump

Edited by FightinIrishBills

If QB were not available, or if the guy we want is not available when we pick, then I would say pass-rush DE who can play 4 whole downs of football would be priority. My list would be as follows:

1.) QB

2.) DE who can get to the QB

and

3.) a franchise LT.

In terms of importance, I would say that sums it up.

I'd love to see a solid TE, #2 WR, and a really good LB in the mix, but we could fill that out with some shrewd drafting (might be difficult if Modrak is still in charge of scouting) in the 2-7th rounds.

BTW- how would 'circling the wagons' and dreams of a Super Bowl for Buffalo fare with a QB named Luck?

Edited by Red

I just read a really interesting interview on the Buffalo Rumblings blog with one of SB Nation's draftniks, Dan Kadar. Like many other people who scout college players, he admits to having rated Locker WAY too high. In fact he claims that the only blue-chip QB prospect out there is Andrew Luck.

My question is, if Luck isn't available, in which direction do the Bills go with their 1st round pick? What's really interesting is that, so far, there are no demonstrably elite offensive tackles this year; in many of the mocks I've seen, there's not an OT taken until late in the first round.

If the Bills are in a high enough position, I would love to see this team take DE/OLB Robert Quinn out of North Carolina. The guy's a pass rushing monster, which is obviously an area of huge need. I wouldn't mind Georgia WR AJ Green either to give some kind of spark to our offense.

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2010/10/2/1724169/rumblings-draft-scouting-kadar-interview-week-5-preview#storyjump

Mallet has first round talent.

An impact player at LT or DE/ LB.

Really depends on who is else is there but if Bell looks good for the remainder of the season I would look for a player that could help our front 7.

OL

QB

OL

OL

OL

LB

OL

(Do you see the theme here? keep drafting offensive linemen until we get some that can play)

im with you but........

OL

QB

OL

QB

OL

(haven't had much luck with qbs either)

Fixed. Shouldn't be too hard given the current needs list. But please God, not another running back.

Lets just draft defensive front seven so we can finally stop the run. Our defense can be top ten next year if we find a player like Ray Lewis in the draft.

Well QB is the way to go in the 1st, but if the QB the Bills want is not available then OLT would be 2nd on my list. After that we need a WR, but drafting a WR early in the 1st round probably would be a bad spot to select one. We need a ORT somewhere in the first 4 rounds I would say...and yes we always need more LB's especially in the 3-4 defense. We probably have other priority needs as well, but QB, OLT, WR, de/OLB, probably are our most desperate needs.

I would draft the best OT available, and I wouldn't care if I was "reaching" over 20 picks according to the draft "experts and gurus". Take a look at every franchise LT and/or good starting RT on the best OL's in the NFL today. Find out where they were drafted. Without researching, I would be willing to guess that the majority of them were drafted below the top 5 picks of their respective drafts. OK, so Donahoe missed with big Mike Williams in Hall of Shame fashion back in 2002. Perhaps the biggest bust in Bills history of the draft. But for every one Mike Williams, there are 3 Mike Ohers' proving NFL GM's correct, when it comes to first round OL's. They don't bust like first round QB's, that's for sure!!

So if Nix doesn't think one of the QB's is his man, fine. It's time he comitted to a first round OL for this franchise, once and for all!!

1- QB

2- LT

3- Pass Rusher

4- RT

5- WR

6- Tight End

7- Run Stuffing DE

8- MLB

All in all we need a guy who can throw the ball, a guy who can protect the guy throwing the ball (LT), a guy who can get after the opposing teams QB (OLB), another guy to round out the offensive line (RT seeing as tackles are extra important), a pair of guys for the QB to throw to (WR and Tight end), and some help stuffing the run (DE and MLB).

If there wasn't a blue chip QB available after everything was said and done, I would take either LT, or, arguably the greatest WR prospect to come around since Randy Moss, and that is AJ Green. I think come draft time, you are going to see him be the prospect with the highest 1st round grade. He really does have everything you look for in a WR and that is the speed, the physicality, the route running ability, and most importantly, the hands.

I watched Gabe Carimi today, the LT from Wisconsin, and he looked every bit as dominant as he was made out to be. Very physical in the run game being able to blow his guy off the ball through the end of the play, and he was a wall in pass protection.

I would then draft on the lines. We would probably suck again next year, but this would put us in position to draft one of the top QBs in the 2012 draft where you will have (if they decide not to declare for this year's draft) Mallet, Terrell Pryor, Cam Newton from Auburn, Jacory Harris in Miami, potentially Matt Barkley from USC, or Nick Foles from Arizona. Next year is shaping up to be a pretty good year for QBs.

I don't want a a 1st round QB unless it is Luck at this point (although I would give strong consideration to Mallet at this point as well. The operative words being at this point, it is so freaking early). If AJ Green is all I have heard it is also worthy of consideration.

What I would like to see really is this

1st

LT or QB

2nd

LT or QB

3rd

OLB

4th

OLB

5th and/or 6th (actually I would do this in 3 to 6 and pick 2 TE and OLB, unless Nelson really show something this year)

OLB, TE, WR (maybe also depends on this year)

7th

BPA DE/OT/TE/DB

Extra picks/UDFA DE,C,OT,DB

The Bills might not need a QB - they are still in the process of evaluating Brian Brohm. That aside, if Ryan Mallett's gone when the Bills pick, whomever Buddy Nix chooses (it WON'T be Luck or Locker) is just fine with me...

After a successful college football coaching career with the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga Mocs, which included the recruitment of Terrell Owens, Nix was a regional scout under John Butler from 1993 to 2000 for the Buffalo Bills, specializing in the southeast.

Nix left Buffalo with John Butler and A. J. Smith after the 2000 season. He was initially the Director of Pro Player Personnel (2000–2001), but after Butler died, Smith was promoted to General Manager, and Nix to Assistant General Manager.

Nix's job with the Chargers was to oversee both pro and college scouting and to be one of the main decision makers in each NFL Draft. Nix was a major reason the Chargers turned around from a losing football team to a rebuilt, winning team. In 2004, three players Nix drafted were selected to the 2005 Pro Bowl. In 2005, six players Nix drafted were selected to the 2006 Pro Bowl. In 2006, eleven players Nix drafted were selected to the 2007 Pro Bowl. In 2007, eight players Nix drafted were selected to the 2008 Pro Bowl. The Chargers won four out of the last five AFC West titles with Nix as Assistant GM and Director of Player Personnel, in charge of college scouting and instrumental to the decision making process of their NFL drafts.

Nix was hired as a National Scout for the Buffalo Bills on January 26, 2009. He was named General Manager of the Buffalo Bills on December 31, 2009, after Russ Brandon was promoted to CEO.

If Brohm doesn't shine, but Nix & Gailey deem Fitz & Brohm at least 'serviceable' in the short term, then they probably continue quietly building a stong o-line (as they're doing now) and wait for Oklahoma's Landry Jones - who absolutely dissected the best pass defense (Texas) in the country yesterday - to come out in 2012 or 2013.

Edited by The Senator