Kelsay extended

Coach Tuesday

Trade Jason Peters, let Jabari Greer, London Fletcher, Pat Williams and Antoine Winfield go, BUT SIGN KELSAY, AGAIN!!!

I agree on the Fletcher, Williams, and Winfield stuff!!

There are 3 cornerstone guys...if we had held onto them...drafted Ngata instead of Whitner...Orakpo instead of Maybin....maybe even lured Cameron Wake to Buffalo and not Miami...wow!! What a 'D'. No running or passing on us!

Ngata, Williams, Schobel, and Wake. Mean D Line. Orakpo, Fletcher, Poz. Nice LB's. Winfield, McGee, McKelvin, Bryd...I'd take that secondary.

Edited by Red

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Trade Jason Peters, let Jabari Greer, London Fletcher, Pat Williams and Antoine Winfield go, BUT SIGN KELSAY, AGAIN!!!

i've been a bills fan since 91 in so frustrated wit this team ever since they chose johnson over flutie weve been going down hill dumb decision after dumb decisions.mike williams erck flowers tavaris tillman, drafting runnin backs when not needed,we have henrey go get willis mcgahee a prime lynch go get spiller wtf!

It is moves like these that will continue to make this team an absolute JOKE up and down. There is no rational decision why a) he should even be on their team as an OLB after he tenure as a below average DE and b) is massively overpaid vs. what a good DE/OLB free agent went for this offseason. Seriously, he has to be in the bottom handful of OLB's in the NFL that start.

It's frustrating as a fan to see these boneheaded decisions --it basically means the team has no commitment to winning from the front office. This is a guy who should be waived, yet we overpay and EXTEND HIS CONTRACT. Seriously, just move the team to end my misery. I just don't get it.

This move proves how out of touch the FO really is. Will there really be a bunch of teams knocking down his door in the offseason?

I find it amazing that we can spend $6mm on a second rate DE turned OLB but couldn't pony up the money to keep our starting LT. Makes sense only in Buffalo.

It is moves like these that will continue to make this team an absolute JOKE up and down. There is no rational decision why a) he should even be on their team as an OLB after he tenure as a below average DE and b) is massively overpaid vs. what a good DE/OLB free agent went for this offseason. Seriously, he has to be in the bottom handful of OLB's in the NFL that start.

It's frustrating as a fan to see these boneheaded decisions --it basically means the team has no commitment to winning from the front office. This is a guy who should be waived, yet we overpay and EXTEND HIS CONTRACT. Seriously, just move the team to end my misery. I just don't get it.

Why not at LEAST wait until the end of the season??? Why wait for 3 crummy games from him then extend it? I might get a brain aneurysm

I'd rather that Wilson assume room temperature and the team sold and moved to LA, rather than continue to support this crap. This is like sabotage, putting a lousy stinking product on the field, alienate the fan base, and make it seem like a move to greener pastures is necessary.

Worst FO in NFL out does itself once again!. 4 years for a guy that is too old and too slow for LB and was a mediocre DE at best in past. We need real pros running this organization as we are a joke. Too many old guys not knowing what to do. Maybe they can get the photos back of RW in a compromised position from him now?

Clueless is as Clueless does!

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-3/Kelsay-signs-extension/58e36ec8-e282-44e4-b9aa-aac4db2f1c8c

Seriously, how does ANYONE defend this organization? I mean, ANYONE? I know there are some real homers on this Board, but even you two (you know who you are) have to be coming around by now, no?

could be worse .... they could have extended Cornell Green :sick:

I challenge all of you: Identify the Bills LB better than Kelsay.

(crickets)

You can't replace all the LBs next year. It's not possible. Might as well sign the most reliable one, even if he isn't that good.

If the contract is backloaded (likely), he won't be here at the end to collect the big money.

Chris Ellis and Reggie Torbor are both better at Kelsay's position. But that's not really the point.

I challenge you: Find another 3-4 OLB who is comparably good, who makes $6mil a year. Anywhere in the NFL. I don't know if you'll find one or not, but if you do, my guess is that it'll be a 1st-round bust on his rookie deal, not a 31-year-old veteran receiving a new contract extension.

The Bills have a limited budget, just like every team. They can't afford to pay out significant portions of it to bad players. And beyond the fiscal concerns, there's also the message it sends. By extending Kelsay and keeping him as one of the highest-paid players on the team, the Bills aren't saying "he's not that good, but he's the best of a bad bunch, so we'll keep him around for now." They're saying, "this is one of the cornerstones of our defense, and for us to get back to the playoffs, he has to be a big part of it." That's just terrible.

1) Poz

2) Davis

3) Mitchell

All three are better than Kelsay as a LB. I think you could even make an argument that Ellis and Torbor are better LB's than Kelsay. Hell I think Danny Batten is probably a better LB than Kelsay. I like what I have seen out of the front office so far, but I don't get this move at all. Hopefully, they know more than we do.

I don't agree with this move, but he is the best OLB on the team right now. Not one of the entire group can rush the passer or cover a TE or back, but at least Kelsay is OK vs the run.

I don't understand why it was a 4 year extension, however. He needs to be replaced, ASAP and why would it take 4 years to do it? If he was resigned it should've been for 1 or 2 years max until new players can be brought in or developed. Maybe they assume that he will eventually provide decent depth behind good starters but the contract seems like too much $$$ for that.

Oh well, he's a nice guy.

Edited by vincec

This link indicates that Kelsay is in pretty elite company as a 6 mil a year LB. Holy overpayment batman!!!!!

http://content.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/salaries/playersbyposition.aspx?pos=150&order=Salary+desc

I don't EVER remember feeling this bad about even the worst Bills teams of the late '60's and mid '80's.

What a freakin' joke. :angry:

Edited by LabattBlue

Brace yourselves, here comes a counterpoint:

He's missed two games in 8 seasons (both in 2007).

That means he played in 16 games as a rookie under G. Williams, 16 games twice under Murlarkey, 62 of 64 games under Jauron, then was the only defender to play EVERY defensive snap opening day against the Dolphins under Gailey...

This leads to me to believe one of three things:

a.) The Bills have been utterly desperate for EIGHT YEARS at whichever position he plays.

b.) None of us really no **** about football or the scheme he plays in and what his roles are.

-or-

c.) Kelsay knows Jedi mind tricks.

Brace yourselves, here comes a counterpoint:

He's missed two games in 8 seasons (both in 2007).

That means he played in 16 games as a rookie under G. Williams, 16 games twice under Murlarkey, 62 of 64 games under Jauron, then was the only defender to play EVERY defensive snap opening day against the Dolphins under Gailey...

This leads to me to believe one of three things:

a.) The Bills have been utterly desperate for EIGHT YEARS at whichever position he plays.

b.) None of us really no **** about football or the scheme he plays in and what his roles are.

-or-

c.) Kelsay knows Jedi mind tricks.

I hope it's C and that we start using that talent to get opposing QB's to throw passes to him.

The Bills just wasted $24 million dollars of cap space for a player that should not be starting and is on the down side of his career. Think of all the young players we let go because the Bills were unwilling to pay this kind of salary which are now real starters or pro bowl players: Pat Williams, Winfield, Clements, Wiley, Peters, Greer just to name a few. And we just let them most of them go for basically nothing.

This is absolute stupidity. This move is almost as pathetic as some of the first round picks we have taken in the last ten years. How can you honestly justify this move?? I think this move truly shows that the front office has no clue on how to build a contending team. Think of all the players we could potentially sign as free agents next year for this kind of money.

And some of you people think this may lead to some trade. No team would trade for Kelsey with this salary?? No team would trade for Kelsey period.

This link indicates that Kelsay is in pretty elite company as a 6 mil a year LB. Holy overpayment batman!!!!!

http://content.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/salaries/playersbyposition.aspx?pos=150&order=Salary+desc

I don't EVER remember feeling this bad about even the worst Bills teams of the late '60's and mid '80's.

What a freakin' joke. :angry:

You can sort by median salary, it will show all LBs from highest to lowest. I know they're using 2009 numbers but this would make Kelsay the 11th highest paid LB in the NFL on that list, at 6 mill per year.

Edited by billsfan714

We have no idea how much the extension is for....I will not crticize until I know facts. For all we know, it is a 1-2 million per deal. Now, if its $6 mil/year for 4 years.....how f*&king stupid can you be?

Edited by bills_fan

We have no idea how much the extension is for....I will not crticize until I know facts. For all we know, it is a 1-2 million per deal. Now, if its $6 mil/year for 4 years.....how f*&king stupid can you be?

Pro Football Weekly is reporting its a 4 year 24 million dollar contract. So yeah its 6 million a year.

Early reports were $24 mil over 4 yrs...

The reports have been it's 4 years $24 million since Gaughan's report on Sunday. So you won't believe that until it's official, thinking it may be a 4 year $4 million dollar deal?

Edited by Buffalonian-at-Heart

You can sort by median salary, it will show all LBs from highest to lowest. I know they're using 2009 numbers but this would make Kelsay the 11th highest paid LB in the NFL on that list, at 6 mill per year.

Oh great, thanks for that stat, I feel much better. :wallbash: Does anybody believe Kelsay is the 11th best LB in the league? Besides our misguided FO?

I haven't read this thread so I don't know if this has already been said, but unless this is a sign and trade, which is doubtful, then I have no idea how kelsay deserves 6 million per season. That's about 1 million per sack, at least, and about 2 million per impact play. Kelsay has always been the same guy:

Solid but unspectacular.

I don't know how that equates to 6 million dollars per season. But hey: maybe I don't know the whole situation.

I haven't read this thread so I don't know if this has already been said, but unless this is a sign and trade, which is doubtful, then I have no idea how kelsay deserves 6 million per season. That's about 1 million per sack, at least, and about 2 million per impact play. Kelsay has always been the same guy:

Solid but unspectacular.

I don't know how that equates to 6 million dollars per season. But hey: maybe I don't know the whole situation.

seems like kelsay " blows "

Maybe its 2 million, 2 million, 2 million, and 18 million in the last year not guaranteed!!! Oh, never mind, I'm like everyone else wondering how and why. I've watched all three games and have only seen him chasing completed pass's down the field, no wonder his tackle stats are great.

This is beyond stupid.This is the twilight zone.

but does that include signing bonuses and incentives???

If the numbers are true, then it includes bonuses.

The only silver lining is that since Kelsay was due $6 mil this year, they convert 2010 salary to bonus, and then have another roster bonus in March of $2 mil, plus $2 mil salary in 2011. So it won't hurt too much to cut him later.

But that's not the issue however, as he's not worth the $6 mil they'r epaying him this year. No wonder Peters was pissed.

If the numbers are true, then it includes bonuses.

The only silver lining is that since Kelsay was due $6 mil this year, they convert 2010 salary to bonus, and then have another roster bonus in March of $2 mil, plus $2 mil salary in 2011. So it won't hurt too much to cut him later.

But that's not the issue however, as he's not worth the $6 mil they'r epaying him this year. No wonder Peters was pissed.

so at the very least, he's not being paid $6MILLION each year for four years. right?

Each of the last 3 Bills Front Office "regimes" are now responsible for prolonging the Chris Kelsay era:

-Donahoe drafted him high in the 2nd round

-Levy/Brandon/Overdorf gave him a giant raise and extension

-Nix now gives him a 2nd extension

I'm not sure why Ralph or anyone else that served continually at One Bills Drive during the past 8 years would have such a soft spot for Kelsay, but there's just no way he truly is a starting DE/OLB in this league worth that kind of money.

He's 30 years old and we're rebuilding? And Cornell Green's contract runs out when he's 37? Come on, now.

Edited by Punch

I want to hear someone interview Nix and see what he has to say. Nix has been a straight shooter so far, so I want to at least get it from the horses mouth...er...ass.

When I first heard Nix speak, I laughed out loud. Talk about hokey. Then he said he wasn't the smartest guy in the room. I thought he was joking, but this signing proves he wasn't.