LAMP - Hung out with John Fina for a bit last night

stevestojan

Living in Tucson, I went the the U of A to tailgate yesterday. A friend of mine from here is apparently friends with John Fina. Great guy. Didn't talk football much, other than he let me wear his AFC Championship ring, which is apparently a size 20.

Hows his legs/knees? Did he seem to be moving around all right as he gets older?

Hows his legs/knees? Did he seem to be moving around all right as he gets older?

Seems to be in tremendous shape. He was around 300lbs during his playing time. I'd guess he's about 240 or so now. He was moving around just fine - didn't notice the typical walk of a guy with busted up knees. He now owns a place called Performance Footwear out here in Tucson.

Seems to be in tremendous shape. He was around 300lbs during his playing time. I'd guess he's about 240 or so now. He was moving around just fine - didn't notice the typical walk of a guy with busted up knees. He now owns a place called Performance Footwear out here in Tucson.

How would he do at RT and what's he doing next week?

Living in Tucson, I went the the U of A to tailgate yesterday. A friend of mine from here is apparently friends with John Fina. Great guy. Didn't talk football much, other than he let me wear his AFC Championship ring, which is apparently a size 20.

I remember mel Kiper calling him, "A waste of a number #1 pick!" I knew from that day on, Mel Kiper is an idiot.. lol John Fina was a Great all-time Buffalo Bill and I wish him all the best!!

Funny...a thread made during the off-season, Fina was sited as one of the biggest, arrogant jerks to wear a Bills uniform. What I know of him, is closer to what Steve says... he does look pretty small in that picture. I remember when he played, he was a bit of a work out warrior.

Steve.....u da sh*t, man! :thumbsup:

I remember mel Kiper calling him, "A waste of a number #1 pick!" I knew from that day on, Mel Kiper is an idiot.. lol John Fina was a Great all-time Buffalo Bill and I wish him all the best!!

John Fina a "Great all-time Buffalo Bill"? Is this a joke? I know things have been bad here for a decade, but Fina sucked for most of his career.

John Fina a "Great all-time Buffalo Bill"? Is this a joke? I know things have been bad here for a decade, but Fina sucked for most of his career.

No he did not suck. His sucking is just more TSW folk lore.

If you look at All Time Bills left tackles he in in the top 5. Woolford was number 1. After that Stew Barber (60's), John Fina, Dave Foley (Electric Co) and Ken Jones (80's) were all very good players. He was a very good lineman that did his job, played with injuries, and was a team player.

If we had him back in his prime he would easily be the best lineman on our team right now.

Agreed, mediocre at best. I remember a lot of talk every off-season about moving him inside, maybe to center after Hull retired... too bad it never happened.

Cool stuff! Thanks for sharing with us. Fina was a solid player from what I remember.

Good to hear Fina is a good guy now, because I met him about 14 years ago in Scottsdale AZ at a place called Martini Ranch, and he was a TOTAL DOOSH. He was drunk as hell, could barely stand and I told him I was originally from Orchard Park, he then became coherent enought to proceeded to tell me what a crap town Buffalo was an how ugly the women were etc- He was still with th eteam at the time. Since that night I always hated the guy, plus he was a TOTAL BUST in my opinion. If you want to know why Kelly retired early, take a look at Fina. Kelly was getting pummeled his last couple of years, and Fina was a turnstile. Tell him I say FU. Thx

Fina was terrible. A Finesse Left tackle: couldn't push the pile, frequently bowled over by the bullrush and always managed to whiff on speed rushes and give up sacks at the most crucial moments. (He compounded his errors with the annoying habit of standing there with his hands on his hips as the QB tried to pull himself to his feet)

In the moments after Wide Right - when Obnoxious Oaf Parcells was gloating and taking credit for Bellichek's brainstorm in the post game interviews - I remember him saying "Power wins football games. Power wins football games."

Much as I hate Tuna and think he's an absurdly overrated blowhard, he was right. To this day, the Bills have never learned that lesson, and Fina was just one small part of a long line of undersized & overpowered underachievers.

Edited by davidkski

Good to hear Fina is a good guy now, because I met him about 14 years ago in Scottsdale AZ at a place called Martini Ranch, and he was a TOTAL DOOSH. He was drunk as hell, could barely stand and I told him I was originally from Orchard Park, he then became coherent enought to proceeded to tell me what a crap town Buffalo was an how ugly the women were etc- He was still with th eteam at the time. Since that night I always hated the guy, plus he was a TOTAL BUST in my opinion. If you want to know why Kelly retired early, take a look at Fina. Kelly was getting pummeled his last couple of years, and Fina was a turnstile. Tell him I say FU. Thx

Yes....I had a run in with him as a teenager and this guy was the biggest A-hole I've ever met that was an athlete. In fact, if I saw him and his steroidless, scrawny ass last night....I would have reminded him about it.

Glad to hear it confirmed from someone else, because the guy came across as a worthless human being.

Yes....I had a run in with him as a teenager and this guy was the biggest A-hole I've ever met that was an athlete. In fact, if I saw him and his steroidless, scrawny ass last night....I would have reminded him about it.

Glad to hear it confirmed from someone else, because the guy came across as a worthless human being.

No comment about his personality but interesting you mentioned scrawny and steroidless... If I remember correctly, his Dad was in medicine (Doctor or something similar) and they really strived to have him protect his knees by staying light. Again if memory serves me right, he may have been listed at 300 pounds but was never near that weight. Good to hear that their strategy kept his knees healthy. My recollection matches the comments about continuous discussions about moving him to center and he was, at best, a mediocre tackle.

If you look at All Time Bills left tackles he in in the top 5. Woolford was number 1. After that Stew Barber (60's), John Fina, Dave Foley (Electric Co) and Ken Jones (80's) were all very good players. He was a very good lineman that did his job, played with injuries, and was a team player.

If we had him back in his prime he would easily be the best lineman on our team right now.

Yes, he did suck. He had a couple "good" seasons which served as bookends to his dogass career. His game was all finesse so he was a liability in the run game and he was the type of player who mailed in a performance and allowed his QB's to take a ton of hits. The type of player you expect to find on a hopeless team like the Bills of today. Except he played on teams that were in contention most of his career. No heart and below average talent for a LT.

I don't really care where you rank him in the Bills history, but FWIW, 5th best does not make you an all-time great. He had a relatively long career in Buffalo because he was a pet project of the GM and not good enough to warrant a huge contract elsewhere. Jonas Jennings and OBVIOUSLY two-time Bills Pro Bowl LT Jason Peters were better players in their time in Buffalo than Fina. Not even close.

No comment about his personality but interesting you mentioned scrawny and steroidless... If I remember correctly, his Dad was in medicine (Doctor or something similar) and they really strived to have him protect his knees by staying light. Again if memory serves me right, he may have been listed at 300 pounds but was never near that weight. Good to hear that their strategy kept his knees healthy. My recollection matches the comments about continuous discussions about moving him to center and he was, at best, a mediocre tackle.

That's what got me about our encounter.....he basically pulled a Ko Simpson on me. He was sitting by himself on a bench where I worked, and as I walked by, I said something to the effect of Good luck on Sunday, I hope you knock the snot out of Willie McInist. He looked at me like I said to go F his mother...made a face, didn't say a word, and burried his head. The kicker was....the guy he was with came up to order food from me, and must have been in the bathroom or something before...and was bragging about how the food was for John Fina and to make sure it's good.

Now....I NEVER thought once of doing anything to anyone's food in my life....but with those two guys.........here was a mediocre guy in the NFL, who obviously juiced...acting to a kid like he was the King of Egypt.

I can't think of one other athlete other than Shannon Sharpe that was a pure ahole. At least Sharpe was good.

Oh well....not to take away from Stojan, hey I guess people can humble.....but whenever anyone asks me the biggest ahole I know....I say John Fina.

Fina was the subject of much criticism at TBD during his playing days. If it was deserved or not was in the eyes of the individual posters.

Yes, he did suck. He had a couple "good" seasons which served as bookends to his dogass career. His game was all finesse so he was a liability in the run game and he was the type of player who mailed in a performance and allowed his QB's to take a ton of hits. The type of player you expect to find on a hopeless team like the Bills of today. Except he played on teams that were in contention most of his career. No heart and below average talent for a LT.

I don't really care where you rank him in the Bills history, but FWIW, 5th best does not make you an all-time great. He had a relatively long career in Buffalo because he was a pet project of the GM and not good enough to warrant a huge contract elsewhere. Jonas Jennings and OBVIOUSLY two-time Bills Pro Bowl LT Jason Peters were better players in their time in Buffalo than Fina. Not even close.

I never said he was an all time great player but I do think he is in the top 5.

You are so wrong that it is not worth aguing about.

Just one more point. He was drafted by Bill Polian. I guess he know nothing about talent in the NFL?

That's what got me about our encounter.....he basically pulled a Ko Simpson on me. He was sitting by himself on a bench where I worked, and as I walked by, I said something to the effect of Good luck on Sunday, I hope you knock the snot out of Willie McInist. He looked at me like I said to go F his mother...made a face, didn't say a word, and burried his head. The kicker was....the guy he was with came up to order food from me, and must have been in the bathroom or something before...and was bragging about how the food was for John Fina and to make sure it's good.

Now....I NEVER thought once of doing anything to anyone's food in my life....but with those two guys.........here was a mediocre guy in the NFL, who obviously juiced...acting to a kid like he was the King of Egypt.

I can't think of one other athlete other than Shannon Sharpe that was a pure ahole. At least Sharpe was good.

Oh well....not to take away from Stojan, hey I guess people can humble.....but whenever anyone asks me the biggest ahole I know....I say John Fina.

In the mid-1990's the Bills OL woes began and Fina was a great reason for it. He took a great deal of grief for it, and deservedly so. As you state, he was a notorious ahole. He once told the media that his job was to protect the QB to the count of 3, thereafter it's not his problem. Playing to the whistle wasn't his thing. He was a very agile blocker and finally late in his career his experience and good feet helped him become a decent LT, but it was very shortlived and then he flamed out. All-in-all, he sucked.

Fina was terrible. A Finesse Left tackle: couldn't push the pile, frequently bowled over by the bullrush and always managed to whiff on speed rushes and give up sacks at the most crucial moments. (He compounded his errors with the annoying habit of standing there with his hands on his hips as the QB tried to pull himself to his feet)

In the moments after Wide Right - when Obnoxious Oaf Parcells was gloating and taking credit for Bellichek's brainstorm in the post game interviews - I remember him saying "Power wins football games. Power wins football games."

Much as I hate Tuna and think he's an absurdly overrated blowhard, he was right. To this day, the Bills have never learned that lesson, and Fina was just one small part of a long line of undersized & overpowered underachievers.

This just in. Fina was not even on the Bills Super Bowl XXV Team.

Your backpedal is better than JD Williams'

Not a back pedal but when you call him a "GM Project" then you are questioning the Almighty Polian. Most people here think that Polian never made a mistake.

My Bottom line is that I think Fina was good, not great. I do not think he sucked and I think he was far better than all the sad sack tackles we have now or for the entire past decade.

Not a back pedal but when you call him a "GM Project" then you are questioning the Almighty Polian. Most people here think that Polian never made a mistake.

My Bottom line is that I think Fina was good, not great. I do not think he sucked and I think he was far better than all the sad sack tackles we have now or for the entire past decade.

John Butler loved Fina. He was the head of college scouting when the Bills drafted Fina and he was a big supporter of Fina, and pretty much everyone he drafted. As somebody pointed out, Fina was one of his "fine young men". Polian was gone a couple years after he drafted Fina.

Funny...a thread made during the off-season, Fina was sited as one of the biggest, arrogant jerks to wear a Bills uniform. What I know of him, is closer to what Steve says... he does look pretty small in that picture. I remember when he played, he was a bit of a work out warrior.

Ah, the wonders of anabolic drugs...