Three MAJOR concerns about new policies at The Ralph

Flutie Flakes

It's called Barco's Mud Lot.

How about your lot? Do you have room in there for more cars? And how late can we get there and still get a spot? I'm thinking about moving from Lot 1 for the first time in 6 years.

Edited by Mike32282

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You pay for a seat. Sit the hell down. Stand up and cheer when warranted but people who stand for no reason for long periods of time annoys me to no end. Had seats in the 2nd row of the Upper Deck and drunken idiots in the first row would stand for no reason other than they were wrecked. Sit down before you fall down! One more than one occasion it almost led to fisticuffs. I solved all three of the major concerns after last season for myself. I bought a new big screen TV. I bought a new grill. I bought a new Bills flag for my flagpole. I can tailgate in my backyard for as long as I want before and after the game. I can sit, stand or lay on the floor wherever I want. No lines for the bathroom. I don't have to pay $25 to park in my driveway. I can fly my Bills flag at will. The only drunks are my friends and that is OK with me. They are killing the gameday experience. Not to mention the team is dreadful. I will still watch them every week. I just don't feel like I am wasting time, money and aggravation anymore. 32 years with season tickets too. Sad.

Is that the lot behind where he sets up now?

Yes. The location of that private lot is good, but it is a mud pit when the weather conditions are bad. I have seen cars stuck in mud up to the frame after a morning freeze followed by an afternoon thaw. We had trouble getting out years ago with a 4WD.

To answer another suggestion, moving the Pinto party to Hammer's Lot was not practical in Ken's opinion, because it draws literally hundreds of fans who would overrun Hammer's facilities, crowd out his paying customer's, and make his lot's security a nightmare.

Ken told me this, not "Hammer". IMO, the Pinto party would ruin Hammer's great lot - which is secure and clean.

Ken stopped by Hammer's early Saturday evening to say hello, and later at Danny's, while making his rounds. :D

He spoke about probably moving at some point, possibly to a lot on Abbott between Rts 20 and 20A, past where the RV lot is now. It is a Bills lot but is already a party zone.

Yes. The location of that private lot is good, but it is a mud pit when the weather conditions are bad. I have seen cars stuck in mud up to the frame after a morning freeze followed by an afternoon thaw. We had trouble getting out years ago with a 4WD.

To answer another suggestion, moving the Pinto party to Hammer's Lot was not practical in Ken's opinion, because it draws literally hundreds of fans who would overrun Hammer's facilities, crowd out his paying customer's, and make his lot's security a nightmare.

Ken told me this, not "Hammer". IMO, the Pinto party would ruin Hammer's great lot - which is secure and clean.

Ken stopped by Hammer's early Saturday evening to say hello, and later at Danny's, while making his rounds. :D

He spoke about probably moving at some point, possibly to a lot on Abbott between Rts 20 and 20A, past where the RV lot is now. It is a Bills lot but is already a party zone.

I was disappointed when Kenny said Not My Lot. I have worked hard to have a SECURE and CLEAN lot. Kenny knows his following and what might happen. The more I thought about it, Kenny is right.

How about your lot? Do you have room in there for more cars? And how late can we get there and still get a spot? I'm thinking about moving from Lot 1 for the first time in 6 years.

While I do have regulars each game, the parking flow (Fill up time) varies. Usually I have space till 12:45pm in one of my 2 lots, Hammer's Lot or the Rock Lot which is right across the street form Hammer's Lot.

I was disappointed when Kenny said Not My Lot. I have worked hard to have a SECURE and CLEAN lot. Kenny knows his following and what might happen. The more I thought about it, Kenny is right.

I, too, spoke with Kenny on Sunday - at that time he said he would be moving to the RV Lot but it sounds like he is considering other options. I thought hammer's would be great but I suppose Kenny's concerns are valid. I don't know - it angers me with all the new gestapo-like tactics going on and accelerating. Tailgating is a huge part of the experience and the Bills are playing with fire if they mess around with it like they are doing. I understand the Bills concerns when it comes to drunken driving after the game but the Tailgating prior to the game - with the exception, I suppose of the risk of fires, is not much of a risk IMO and Kenny's is a Landmark Tradition. Screwing with that is just plain stupid. I can't imagine a Jimbo-owned team messing with this. Perhaps I am wrong though. It sounded to me like the Bills are planning on assigned spaces next year. No first come first served?? What a nightmare.

On another note - and there is a second thread discussing fan behavior already - I have been to a lot of Bills losses going back to the early 70's but I have never been so disappointed in fan behavior as I was last Sunday. I sit in section 311 - I get my season tickets through Hammer - until Hammer showed up I did not know ANYONE which means either the tickets were sold to others or the season tickets have changed hands. Fine but these newbies did not make hardly any noise. One guy actually told me to stop pounding on the seats because it was annoying his girlfriend. That is the closest I came to telling a fellow Bills fan to F-off ..... I was thinking, "Are you nuts! It's third down for the opponents. Take your girl to the f-ing movies...this is a Bills game!" Well, fine, I found other seats to pound on on the other side (behind my wife!). Meanwhile, to some of the "fans" they spoke like the game was over at halftime when it was 10-3. Try watching the Bills lose 20 in a row to the Fish. They woke up after the Parrish TD (big wow).

I beseech all of you to make some noise and lots of it at the JETSsucksuckssucks game in three weeks. I won't be back until the following week (Jacksonville).

Go Bills!

-RichNJoisy

I, too, spoke with Kenny on Sunday - at that time he said he would be moving to the RV Lot but it sounds like he is considering other options. I thought hammer's would be great but I suppose Kenny's concerns are valid. I don't know - it angers me with all the new gestapo-like tactics going on and accelerating. Tailgating is a huge part of the experience and the Bills are playing with fire if they mess around with it like they are doing. I understand the Bills concerns when it comes to drunken driving after the game but the Tailgating prior to the game - with the exception, I suppose of the risk of fires, is not much of a risk IMO and Kenny's is a Landmark Tradition. Screwing with that is just plain stupid. I can't imagine a Jimbo-owned team messing with this. Perhaps I am wrong though. It sounded to me like the Bills are planning on assigned spaces next year. No first come first served?? What a nightmare.

-RichNJoisy

To be fair, I don't think this is of the Bills doing as much it is the NFL.

What guy are you talking about? Is this some NFL official/illuminati... one of Goodell's brownshirts???

some guy working for the league

As Philster notes (and Kenny told me after the game, since I was over at our own tailgate when this all went down), he was apparently affiliated with the league. I wanted a name -- and badge number, since I wasn't aware the NFL had acquired arresting powers -- but no such luck. Guess they think we've actually been showing up to watch their crappy brand of football for the last decade instead of wanting to socialize with our friends.

Kenny will have an official announcement regarding his new location before the next home game. The quasi-official TBD tailgate may also be moving; Jack will keep you updated on the Tailgate East board.

As Philster notes (and Kenny told me after the game, since I was over at our own tailgate when this all went down), he was apparently affiliated with the league. I wanted a name -- and badge number, since I wasn't aware the NFL had acquired arresting powers -- but no such luck. Guess they think we've actually been showing up to watch their crappy brand of football for the last decade instead of wanting to socialize with our friends.

Kenny will have an official announcement regarding his new location before the next home game. The quasi-official TBD tailgate may also be moving; Jack will keep you updated on the Tailgate East board.

Any chance we could get the Bills to comment on all of this, at least with regard to Ken?

edit: And since he is considering moving what is one of the best known tailgate parties in the NFL, essentially at the behest of one league rep. I would hope the Bills would have something to say.

Edited by yall

While I do have regulars each game, the parking flow (Fill up time) varies. Usually I have space till 12:45pm in one of my 2 lots, Hammer's Lot or the Rock Lot which is right across the street form Hammer's Lot.

That's perfect. I'm thinking of moving our small tailgate over there. It's usually just 3-5 cars. I work Saturday night, so i don't get to the stadium until 9:30 or so.

Edited by Mike32282

Here's a copy of the posts I made on the BB.com boards about what happened to Kenny and how it will affect everyone

Apparently the NFL doesn't like when tailgate parties turn into big things now...afraid that the tailgate parties are bigger events than the games. Last year, this guy from the NFL went after Oakland and shut down some of their biggest tailgate parties. This year, he's coming after us. Yesterday, after watching the ketchup ceremony and the great scene that is the Red Pinto Tailgate party, this guy threatened people with arrest if the bowling balls shots weren't shut off...and gave the impression that he'd keep harassing the Pinto crew all season til the tailgate party was basically shut down...never mind the fact that the great tailgating is a major part of what keeps people coming to Bills games in light of the product on the field.

This guy was threatening arrest on the basis of no liquor license...ignoring the fact that a liquor license is only needed when alcohol is sold...don't need one if you're giving it away.

This all happened despite the best efforts of parking lot security and the sheriffs trying to dissuade the guy.

So basically, watch your tailgate parties this season...if they're getting pretty big...get them under control or this guy is going to cause you some problems.

The Pinto tailgate is moving out of Lot 1 next game and isn't going to be the grand party it's become over the years...thanks to this idiot

What we heard was that they want the game to be the only event...and when the tailgate parties become real big, they become events in themselves.

Pretty stupid guy from the sounds of things though...the gameday experience is what keeps people going even when the team is doing poorly

Between this and the Batavia Party Zone sign being banned (I always look for it during the tv broadcasts), it seems like they are doing anything possible to drive away fans who aren't interested in behaving like they are at a friggin tea party. You know the type -- they sit there patting the corners of their mouths with little lace doilies while they sip $10 beverages bought directly from sanctioned concessions.

It was a bad sign that they put the clampdown immediately on tailgating in Toronto. They want everyone to be herded in and out of the game like sheep who are only there to be sheared by the NFL and Ralph Wilson.

Between this and the Batavia Party Zone sign being banned (I always look for it during the tv broadcasts), it seems like they are doing anything possible to drive away fans who aren't interested in behaving like they are at a friggin tea party. You know the type -- they sit there patting the corners of their mouths with little lace doilies while they sip $10 beverages bought directly from sanctioned concessions.

It was a bad sign that they put the clampdown immediately on tailgating in Toronto. They want everyone to be herded in and out of the game like sheep who are only there to be sheared by the NFL and Ralph Wilson.

I saw security also remove a CBS sign that someone made and posted on the sidelines. It said something like...

Celebrate

Bills

Season

Edited by Mike32282

Hey, aren't you banned or something??

(I keed)

If the NFL is trying to sanitize the game day experience, cleaning up this stadium will make it as drab as the local economy. Whenever I bring visitors, the highlight of the parking lot tour is the Pinto and the Ketchup ceremony. every visitor I have brought up here compares the experience to what they see at the Meadowlands (or a few Pats fans) Foxboro. In all cases, they wish thier fans had as much fun as the Bills fans have before and after the games. They say it is like having 50,000 freinds all in one place.

Changing the Buffalo game day experience would turn the true Bills fan away and the team might as well start packing for a new city. I doubt the "refined", golf clapping fans that NFL wants to see exists in Buffalo and if so, probably are not interested in this current collection of players wearing the uniform.

If the product on the field were to change, (it can't get worse) the more restrained, NFL approved fan may outbid the unwashed masses for the tickets, but this year, taking away the only entertainment withn 1 mile of the stadium makes no sense.

Edited by Guffalo

Interesting note...supposedly he went after Oakland last year...yet their fans are saying he never did anything there if he even showed up

something is definitely fishy about this

http://www.raiderfans.net/forum/tailgate/168860-nfls-tailgate-nazi.html

Yeah, something is fishy there.

I'd tell Ken to keep doing it, and until the police or a Bills official actually says otherwise, tell this effin crackpot to cram it with walnuts.

I'd tell Ken to keep doing it, and until the police or a Bills official actually says otherwise, tell this effin crackpot to cram it with walnuts.

I agree. And if the police say otherwise, do what they ask but at the same time ask them why the hell he has to pack up.

Talking to Kenny Saturday night, there will be some major changes to his tailgate. First they started not opening the lots until 8, but you could still get in the driveways - so he partied in the driveway for 2-3 hours. Now they've closed the driveways too. Starting next year he's going to move over by the RV lot to a lot that is not closed up like the others. He said he's actually not all that upset about the closing 2 hours after game ends - gives him an excuse to get everything cleaned up and get outta there.

Don't forget the BS seat cushion rule they're enforcing now. A whole bunch of people including us weren't allowed in because our NFL BUFFALO BILLS seat cushions had two flaps!! Apparently their reasoning is that the part that supports the back might go over the top of the seat and bug the person behind. BS. First of all that doesn't happen and secondly, why would the NFL/Bills allow such a design to be licensed/sold in the first place? In the end we walked around and entered through an another gate where they didn't care.

On the way back I saw a lot of people with the same cushions who were obviously allowed in. We're going to talk to them about this. They haven't said anything or stopped us in the years we've used these particular cushions.

I was told by security shortly after 9/11 that the reason backpacks were not allowed was because explosives could be hidden in the straps. I pointed out that I could have several pounds of c4 in a seat cushion and nobody would know, but they wouldn't budge on the backpack even though it was clear. So I cut the straps off it and I carry it now.

For the sake of accuracy: I was standing right there when what looked to me like cops (they had "Sheriff" on the back of their jackets) told Ken to "shut it down in 15 minutes". I could be wrong as senility is slowly taking over :oops: but I don't think I am.

I was told by security shortly after 9/11 that the reason backpacks were not allowed was because explosives could be hidden in the straps. I pointed out that I could have several pounds of c4 in a seat cushion and nobody would know, but they wouldn't budge on the backpack even though it was clear. So I cut the straps off it and I carry it now.

I saw a girl in our section with a big backpack straps intact and all.

Thank you for posting this as I was planning on doing it this morning.

Paul Bouchard is the keeper of the "Batavia Party Zone" sign and his step daughter Bailey and her friends along with her mom and Paul were sitting two rows in front of us and were what originally prompted my blog on this subject. Bailey could not have expressed what occurred at the opener any better. :thumbsup:

I love this site! Thank you all for the support. GO BILLS!

Edited by Flutie Flakes