Three MAJOR concerns about new policies at The Ralph

Flutie Flakes

After attending yesterday's game, I was shocked with some of the new policies that have been implemented this season.

The first was a "no standing" policy that is being interpreted incorrectly by stadium personnel (ushers and some security personnel). Several individuals in our section (107) were told that they could not stand for prolonged periods of time during the game. Certainly understandable in between plays, but a select few individuals complained to security when these people were standing during some offensive plays and most of the defensive plays on second and third down. Instead of stadium personnel correctly explaining to those individuals the proper policy, they told the fans that were standing that they needed to sit down. I overheard one sheriff say after, "how can they tell these guys to sit down when a majority of people in this place are standing...unbelievable."

The second is closing the parking lots two hours after the game. We enjoy tailgating as much after the game as we do before. We are respectful of others and enjoy cooking out and relaxing before the long drive back to Albany. Transit Road is also free of traffic between 7 and 8PM, which is the time that we would typically leave in the past. We were all very surprised when we were told at 6:05PM that we needed to pack up and leave. While we were packing, security would come around literally every five minutes telling us to wrap it up. All I can say is Hammer's Lot here we come.

Lastly, a very good friend of mine was told that he can no longer display the "Batavia Party Zone" banner that has been a fixture for as long as I can remember. In fact all banners have apparently been banished from the field walls at The Ralph. Can anyone on Two Bills Drive explain why this new policy is being implemented? Security officials stated that this was a new "NFL Rule" and that it was out of their hands. My friend plans to appeal to officials at the stadium, but it does not appear that they have any intention of allowing signs to be hung on the walls as before. Further, he recently spent money to have a new sign prepared and is absolutely crushed that he will no longer be able to display it. For me, the signs were always a big part of the game day experience and were a welcome "brand" for our stadium. The signs are even found on the Madden games which says something.

I truly respect the opinions of many of you on The Stadium Wall and certainly welcome your input and also your support, especially regarding the signs in the stadium. Thank you.

Flutie Flakes

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had thought the 2 hours after the game thing would be at most some security guy saying time to leave "nudge nudge wink wink" unless they were having trouble with a particular group of people. Maybe it is a cost saving measure not having to pay the cleanup/security people for quite so long?? I agree with you though though. We always relaxed after the game and waited for traffic to clear out.

No signs now too huh. Not sure what purpose that serves, but if it is a NFL rule maybe it is because the NFL gets no money from signs like that and has plans to try and advertise more themselves? Not sure.

1. The rules on standing are like the rules on obscenity: you know it when you see it. Opening kickoff, big third/fourth down plays on D, scores, great plays, etc. Other than that, people should just sit down, okay? No need to be an arsch to people behind you.

2. You hit it on the head. Go to a private lot. We have always gone to one on California Road and we can stay as late as we want. Plus if need be, we can get out a lot faster than people who've parked in the stadium lots.

3. If it's a new NFL rule, then it's a new NFL rule and the Bills can't do anything about it. My guess is that the league sees those walls as prime advertising space.

The first one has always been a bit of an issue I remember it in the 70s people asking security to get ppl to sit down. I really don't care but some ppl do? :unsure:

the second one I understand your position but they do have a drinking problem with some fans, again something I don't mind so much but hey they do it because it is preceived to be a problem :unsure:

That 3rd one, really? wow, That is just ****ty and stupid! Banners are so much part of the history of the game and the stadium. Look for the NFL to do the stupid thing and sell that space for adverts :thumbdown:

I complained several times about fans standing during plays.

These people would call a friend already in the stadium and say "I am in section 104, see me I am standing up" then they continue to talk and everyone behind them misses the game.

I am telling you, these people are from MARS and their space ship picked them up after the game!

The first one has always been a bit of an issue I remember it in the 70s people asking security to get ppl to sit down. I really don't care but some ppl do? :unsure:

When I was in the 18-34 age bracket, I didn't really care who stood up where, largely because (a) I could stand up for the whole game; (b) it wasn't a huge hardship on my dad, who was in his 50s and in good shape; and © I didn't have kids whose views were blocked by standers.

At 41, honestly, (a) I don't feel like standing for three hours when I paid good money for a seat; (b) my dad is pushing 70 and definitely shouldn't have to stand up for three hours; and © my kids have a hard enough time seeing over people sitting in front of them without having to deal with standers.

So I've seen both sides of it and I truly believe there is a middle ground. There's a time for standing. The whole game is not it.

Guess if the standing gets to be too much, you can always enjoy the game from your couch.

Football is exciting. People like to stand and scream and yell and high-five and stuff.

Major exciting events like concerts and sporting events lead people to want to stand up to heighten the intensity of the experience. I believe there is also seating with enhanced accessibility at the Ralph for those with disability or for those who are unable to use the traditional seating.

But yeah, get off my lawn you dagum kids!

you can always enjoy the game from your couch.

Football is exciting. People like to stand and scream and yell and high-five and stuff.

I agree, and I do (watch at home now that is). With HD you get a better view of the game than you do in the stadium anyway. Considerably cheaper and no traffic as well. I do not miss the in stadium experience at all, I do miss the tailgating though.

The stadium should be for people who like the standing, screaming, obscenity yelling, fighting, drunken spillage etc. All this "sit in your seat and keep quiet" stuff does not belong in a NFL stadium IMO.

Ppl need to stop complaining or just not go to games IMO. You don't like to stand? Sitt at home on your warm cozy couch. I don't understand people that say they want to go to the game to be part of the experience but then complain about the experience. If you don't lime it, stay at home with the rest of the cheese and wine tailgaters and fans.

There is a fine line between allowing everyone to have a good time, and getting thrown up on. Once that line has been crossed, the line seems more like an electric fence.

Unfortunately there is no practical way to allow everyone to have their definition of a good time. For example my definition would be taking my kids to the game and not having beer spilled on us, or thrown up on, or listen to people cursing non stop for 3 hours etc. However doing all or some of the things I don't want is probably someone elses definition of a good time. You can't please everyone. I have come to the realization that the stadium is not for me, at least right now.

Ppl need to stop complaining or just not go to games IMO. You don't like to stand? Sitt at home on your warm cozy couch. I don't understand people that say they want to go to the game to be part of the experience but then complain about the experience. If you don't lime it, stay at home with the rest of the cheese and wine tailgaters and fans.

Wrong. People need to have some respect and common decency towards others. There is a difference between cheering on your team and being an annoying jackass. Some people will stand at the wrong times or for no reason or simply because someone behind them politely asked them to sit down. Many of the people who attend the games a classless jerks, whether drunk or sober.

I have no problem with people standing on 3rd down to get load or jumping up when something good happens or standing when everyone else is standing. But I don't need some knuckle dragger standing up, facing the crowd and telling me to cheer. He should watch the game and STFU. I don't need some drunken idiot standing up and jumping around during a play when nobody else is standing.

We stood for almost the entire Dallas MNF game and it was awesome. The crowd was loud and it was exciting, but that doesn't mean you should stand and be an ass just because you want to. People should be considerate of others around them. Get loud and crazy at the right times and not make an ass of yourself. I finally have seats in Row 1 so I will never have to have some moron standing in front of me. But like someone else said, its not simply standing that is annoying. The people that are standing and causing a problem would be causing a problem even if they stayed seated. They are basically obnoxious A-holes. You know who you are.

Basic rule of thumb WRT standing, if the majority of other fans in your section are standing or if the people directly in front of you are standing, then feel free to stand. Otherwise sit down. Also, it would be great if you would keep your ridiculous opinions to yourseld and to stop yelling out suggestions to the coaches/players. They cannot hear you and don't give a **** what you think.

Thanks.

This is the new NFL - take anything that might make the fan experience fun and ban it. Soon they will ask fans to be golf silent, sit in their seats and to express thoughts (quietly) only during TV breaks.

Except that even in golf, when someone is trying to make a long putt in a key situation, the crowd stands up in anticipation.

Part of what made that Cowboys game so exciting and memorable (and I was there for it) was that the crowd was so into the game and intensely anticipating every play. There is no coincidence that people were standing throughout.

Seriously, if you think you might not be physically able or willing to stand for an hour and a half at a time, sitting in the lower field-level seating at an NFL game might not be the place for you. And really, it isn't even for a full hour and a half - I'd imagine you'd be free to sit and rest during the ample times-out that the NFL builds into their game schedules.

But complaining that people get so excited and compelled by the action that they stand in anticipation is just silly. And likening it to being literally vomited upon is a feeble grasp at straws. Wanting to be intensely involved in the action and passion of a live NFL game doesn't make you inconsiderate, a drunk, classless, rude, or any of the other polite name-calls that the "sitters" have lobbed at the "standers".

Unfortunately there is no practical way to allow everyone to have their definition of a good time. For example my definition would be taking my kids to the game and not having beer spilled on us, or thrown up on, or listen to people cursing non stop for 3 hours etc. However doing all or some of the things I don't want is probably someone elses definition of a good time. You can't please everyone. I have come to the realization that the stadium is not for me, at least right now.

This.

Wrong. People need to have some respect and common decency towards others. There is a difference between cheering on your team and being an annoying jackass. Some people will stand at the wrong times or for no reason or simply because someone behind them politely asked them to sit down. Many of the people who attend the games a classless jerks, whether drunk or sober.

I have no problem with people standing on 3rd down to get load or jumping up when something good happens or standing when everyone else is standing. But I don't need some knuckle dragger standing up, facing the crowd and telling me to cheer. He should watch the game and STFU. I don't need some drunken idiot standing up and jumping around during a play when nobody else is standing.

We stood for almost the entire Dallas MNF game and it was awesome. The crowd was loud and it was exciting, but that doesn't mean you should stand and be an ass just because you want to. People should be considerate of others around them. Get loud and crazy at the right times and not make an ass of yourself. I finally have seats in Row 1 so I will never have to have some moron standing in front of me. But like someone else said, its not simply standing that is annoying. The people that are standing and causing a problem would be causing a problem even if they stayed seated. They are basically obnoxious A-holes. You know who you are.

Basic rule of thumb WRT standing, if the majority of other fans in your section are standing or if the people directly in front of you are standing, then feel free to stand. Otherwise sit down. Also, it would be great if you would keep your ridiculous opinions to yourseld and to stop yelling out suggestions to the coaches/players. They cannot hear you and don't give a **** what you think.

And this.

Also, let's not compare a night game to a regular Sunday 1 pm game. I understand the rules are a little different at night when people have been drinking for 12 hours.

This is the new NFL - take anything that might make the fan experience fun and ban it. Soon they will ask fans to be golf silent, sit in their seats and to express thoughts (quietly) only during TV breaks.

This would make a great commercial! Picture two fans of opposing teams sitting next to each other silently during the play, then when the commercial time out happens, they start beating the crap out of each other, and then the game starts again. Camera pans to them and they have black eyes, bloody noses, etc but are sitting quietly again. Hillarious

I think I heard Lori say that they shut down some of Pinto Kenny's festivities as well.

The NFL wonders why no one wants to go to the games anymore?

What did they shut down? I come to one game a year from out of town and always enjoy his tailgate. I was lookig forward to it in a few weeks as the product on the field does not seem to match the entainment value of his tailgate.

And likening it to being literally vomited upon is a feeble grasp at straws. Wanting to be intensely involved in the action and passion of a live NFL game doesn't make you inconsiderate, a drunk, classless, rude, or any of the other polite name-calls that the "sitters" have lobbed at the "standers".

My post was not aimed at standers. I was responding to a few posters who have complained about the drunks, and a few who seemed to indicate that if you don't like any of the activity which happens on game day, you should not buy a ticket.

I think standing, especially on defense is part of the game. I wish the binge drinking was less a part of it.

I think I heard Lori say that they shut down some of Pinto Kenny's festivities as well.

The NFL wonders why no one wants to go to the games anymore?

They certainly did. I was there talking with Ken about the upcoming Bills/Vikes game in December when the Sheriff(s) came up to us and told Ken to "shut it down in 15 minutes" :thumbdown: All Ken could say was "ok".

Don't know his future plans but this party has been a standard for years - one we always visit on gamedays when in town. And I've never seen anyone get out of hand there.

As someone stated: Too bad that No Fun League now stretches beyond the field.

Here's a copy of the posts I made on the BB.com boards about what happened to Kenny and how it will affect everyone

Apparently the NFL doesn't like when tailgate parties turn into big things now...afraid that the tailgate parties are bigger events than the games. Last year, this guy from the NFL went after Oakland and shut down some of their biggest tailgate parties. This year, he's coming after us. Yesterday, after watching the ketchup ceremony and the great scene that is the Red Pinto Tailgate party, this guy threatened people with arrest if the bowling balls shots weren't shut off...and gave the impression that he'd keep harassing the Pinto crew all season til the tailgate party was basically shut down...never mind the fact that the great tailgating is a major part of what keeps people coming to Bills games in light of the product on the field.

This guy was threatening arrest on the basis of no liquor license...ignoring the fact that a liquor license is only needed when alcohol is sold...don't need one if you're giving it away.

This all happened despite the best efforts of parking lot security and the sheriffs trying to dissuade the guy.

So basically, watch your tailgate parties this season...if they're getting pretty big...get them under control or this guy is going to cause you some problems.

The Pinto tailgate is moving out of Lot 1 next game and isn't going to be the grand party it's become over the years...thanks to this idiot

What we heard was that they want the game to be the only event...and when the tailgate parties become real big, they become events in themselves.

Pretty stupid guy from the sounds of things though...the gameday experience is what keeps people going even when the team is doing poorly

http://www.panthers.com/stadium/policies-information/banner-policy.html

http://www.patriots.com/stadium/index.cfm?ac=prohibiteditems

http://www.seahawks.com/qwest-field/stadium-guide/gameday-policies.html

Those are the banner policies I found when I googled "NFL banner policy".

There doesn't appear to be a blanket "no banners" NFL policy. Looking at the Bills Stadium Guide, apparently they revised it this year to add "Banners and Signs may not be affixed, hung, or held over the field level ring wall". Where else is there to put them? :unsure:

My post was not aimed at standers. I was responding to a few posters who have complained about the drunks, and a few who seemed to indicate that if you don't like any of the activity which happens on game day, you should not buy a ticket.

I think standing, especially on defense is part of the game. I wish the binge drinking was less a part of it.

At the risk of being totally hypocritical - I do agree that the Bills (league) have an obligation to cut down or stop inappropriate behavior that may result from intoxicated fans. I am not trying to get on a holier than though soapbox as I have certainly had more than my fair share of adult beverages at Bills games.

I think the Bills (league) steps way overboard if they stop fans who are sober or handling their alcohol well, from participating in yelling, standing , cheering or carrying on as fans should. I think the league is attempting to make the fan experience way too sterile. They will lose fans if they continue to do this.

I complained several times about fans standing during plays.

These people would call a friend already in the stadium and say "I am in section 104, see me I am standing up" then they continue to talk and everyone behind them misses the game.

I am telling you, these people are from MARS and their space ship picked them up after the game!

another reason to stay away from the stadium and pissing away 70+ dollars. No need to be around humanoids with "attention whore" syndrome.

Here's a copy of the posts I made on the BB.com boards about what happened to Kenny and how it will affect everyone

Apparently the NFL doesn't like when tailgate parties turn into big things now...afraid that the tailgate parties are bigger events than the games. Last year, this guy from the NFL went after Oakland and shut down some of their biggest tailgate parties. This year, he's coming after us. Yesterday, after watching the ketchup ceremony and the great scene that is the Red Pinto Tailgate party, this guy threatened people with arrest if the bowling balls shots weren't shut off...and gave the impression that he'd keep harassing the Pinto crew all season til the tailgate party was basically shut down...never mind the fact that the great tailgating is a major part of what keeps people coming to Bills games in light of the product on the field.

This guy was threatening arrest on the basis of no liquor license...ignoring the fact that a liquor license is only needed when alcohol is sold...don't need one if you're giving it away.

This all happened despite the best efforts of parking lot security and the sheriffs trying to dissuade the guy.

So basically, watch your tailgate parties this season...if they're getting pretty big...get them under control or this guy is going to cause you some problems.

The Pinto tailgate is moving out of Lot 1 next game and isn't going to be the grand party it's become over the years...thanks to this idiot

What we heard was that they want the game to be the only event...and when the tailgate parties become real big, they become events in themselves.

Pretty stupid guy from the sounds of things though...the gameday experience is what keeps people going even when the team is doing poorly

Remarkable. The NFL management sure seems to have a high regard for their "event" and little regard for their fans.

What guy are you talking about? Is this some NFL official/illuminati... one of Goodell's brownshirts???

Please send me a note where the tailgate is being moved to for the Jags game. I look forward to that bowling ball. My reccomendation is to move it to a private lot that can remove the guy for trespassing. The one next to the where pinto kenny ron is (in front of the field house) is a great lot. Not sure if it has a name.

Remarkable. The NFL management sure seems to have a high regard for their "event" and little regard for their fans.

I am sure the NFL paid him for all the clips of his tailgate they use in thier NFL Films videos on how wonderful the NFL experience is...NOT. The NFL is getting a little to big for itself and just might do itself in if this keeps up. Keep improving the TV product and hurting the fans and pretty soon no one shows up.

The NFL is definitely becoming the No Fun League. When I heard what they did with Kenny and were threatening to do with the Coffin Corner tailgate, it pissed me off. These are your die hard fans that are spending money on jerseys, hats, tshirts, beer mugs, tickets, and all that stuff. Why the hell would you harass them and chase them away? :thumbdown:

Please send me a note where the tailgate is being moved to for the Jags game. I look forward to that bowling ball. My reccomendation is to move it to a private lot that can remove the guy for trespassing. The one next to the where pinto kenny ron is (in front of the field house) is a great lot. Not sure if it has a name.

It's called Barco's Mud Lot.