Gailey already blaming O-Line

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you been folowing Flozell in Pitt? He came into camp late as he was a late sign and then missed some practice with a minor injury. He played a few series in preseason and didn't look great, but as good as any Bill so far either. I bet you that once the regular season starts he will be at least average which is more than anything we can hope for with our worthless bunch of tackles. He could have started at right tackle or been quality depth at either position. I guess you'd rather see Kirk Chamber instead of Flozell Adams!

You assume a lot. The Bills backups didn't give up any starts in DC and they ran the ball well too. What are you complaining about already? At least wait for them to give up some sacks before you start whining.

It's no great insight that we need help on the line. It's just as obvious to the folks at One Bills Drive as it is to us at Two Bill Drive.

But Nix/Gailey felt we needed a play-maker as much as needed a tackle and drafted Spiller in the first round. After that, they were underwhelmed with the choices. Should we have taken a tackle in the 2nd or 3rd rounds just to take a tackle - when they were obviously not confident in the ability of the tackles on the board to contribute?

And should we spend millions to sign a free-agent who couldn't even start on the Bills?

While it's obvious to everyone that we need more talent on the line, there just weren't a lot of great options this year.

It's time to implement the "Bills Rule." In the name of parity and competitiveness, the Bills will be allowed to draft players already under contract with other NFL teams for the rest of the decade.

With the breakdown of the medieval system, the gods of chaos, lunacy, and bad taste gained ascendancy.

Fire and brimstone coming down from the sky! Rivers and seas boiling! Forty years of darkness! Earthquakes, volcanoes... The dead rising from the grave! Human sacrifice! Dogs and cats living together! Mass hysteria!

I'd like to see exactly what this opinion is based upon. I'll say it again: Kirk Chambers or Flozell Adams?

Since out tackles are injury prone and stink once in the game, Kirk ends up with tons of PT. We could still go after Marcus Mcneil a probowl LT, didn't go after Jamal Brown who looked pretty good Friday. My point is we did NOTHING except get Cornholed.

I've got diehard Steelers friends who literally take a week off during summer and go to Latrobe to drink and watch training camp. We've debated the merits of the Bill's signing him when it was known we needed help and the conversation switched gears a bit when the Steelers got him. Naturally he was a topic of discussion when they got back from their trip. They said he was routinely beaten by their LBs in pass blocking situations (if he played OT here) and was also having problems w/ interior linemen (if he played inside here, however unlikely). I also saw the game, and while no scout myself, he didn't seem all that impressive.

Fire and brimstone coming down from the sky! Rivers and seas boiling! Forty years of darkness! Earthquakes, volcanoes... The dead rising from the grave! Human sacrifice! Dogs and cats living together! Mass hysteria!

The magic runes are writ in gold to bring the balance back, bring it back

This team will not be built THIS year. It seems some people think it's possible. Let's find out what we have before kicking it to the curb and rebuilding again again. Just who the FA was or that stud LT in the 2nd round has escaped me.

Face it, there is no feasible way they can plug all the holes this year. And even if they did, it would get us to about 8-8.

Have you been folowing Flozell in Pitt? He came into camp late as he was a late sign and then missed some practice with a minor injury. He played a few series in preseason and didn't look great, but as good as any Bill so far either. I bet you that once the regular season starts he will be at least average which is more than anything we can hope for with our worthless bunch of tackles. He could have started at right tackle or been quality depth at either position. I guess you'd rather see Kirk Chamber instead of Flozell Adams!

You sound just like Chan Gailey to me.

Your defending this guy because he's a "brand name" player and already making excuses for him.

Adams would have been reaching for straws...

Flozell Adams...I've heard of him!

Yeah, he was signed as a right tackle.. Not a left tackle.. He lost a step and isn't a viable LT. Is he any better than Green on the right side? Doubtful.

The quote was from yesterday in response to a question as to why Trent didn't throw downfield Friday night against the Skins.

Maybe because we were down 3 starters? The right side of the line was terrible with Chambers and Cordero..

This team will not be built THIS year. It seems some people think it's possible. Let's find out what we have before kicking it to the curb and rebuilding again again. Just who the FA was or that stud LT in the 2nd round has escaped me.

Face it, there is no feasible way they can plug all the holes this year. And even if they did, it would get us to about 8-8.

Problem is they've had 10 years to PLUG HOLES and we now have more holes than a block of swiss cheese. How many times am I gonna hear "can't be done in a year" or "takes 2-3 years for a rebuild to come together" or "I have a wait and see attitude" or "it's only the first pre/reg/season game, first year, second year etc" or "there was no good free agents or draft picks where we picked anyway" ,so lets get another RB when we have 2 starters.

As long as Ralph has fans like you who make excuses for the terrible decisions made by HIS staff year after year he's got no reason to change the way he runs the team. False hope, marketing gimmicks are provided by OBD each year and the lemmings continue to jump over the cliff.

I agree with your last sentence, but not your first. Here's the quote from Gailey (via Chris Brown):

“No, I’d rather [Trent] make the right read. And I have to give him enough opportunities. If he checks it down, it’s not him, it’s me. If he throws it under four yards every time, we’re not doing the right things to get people open down the field,” said Gailey. ”So I want him to make the right reads and go to the right place. And if we’re not getting people open, then we either have to get different people or we have to create better schemes to get those guys open.”

“Nobody can throw it laying on their back or running around for their life back there. So our protection has to get better.”

Gailey goes out of his way to deflect all blame away from Trent. I understand that he wants to give Trent every opportunity to succeed, and that means propping up his confidence, etc. I get that. But by refusing to acknowledge the very real problems with Trent's game, Gailey just keeps reinforcing them. Implying that Trent has consistently been making the right reads is just nonsense, and I hope Gailey knows it. You can't tell me that a checkdown on 3rd and 13 with no pass rush is the right read.

I think Gailey's attempt to protect Trent by putting the blame on himself (and the O-line) is only going to hurt Trent even more in the long run.

I think i'm interpreting this a bit different than most other people. The '...I'd rather Trent make the right read. And I have to give him enough opportunities' to me means that if he's checking down when other guys are open, the problem is on Trent. If he's always throwing those under 4 yard passes because nobody is open, then the offensive scheme we're running is not effective enough.

”So I want him to make the right reads and go to the right place. And if we’re not getting people open, then we either have to get different people or we have to create better schemes to get those guys open.”

I think this sums it up pretty well. To me this is his clarification of what he had said before.

Nobody can throw it laying on their back or running around for their life back there. So our protection has to get better.”

You gotta have the whole quote for this as the 'our protection has to get better' isn't specifically for Trent, it's for everybody. It also happens to be 100% true. Nobody can throw it laying on their back or running around for their life.

Jonathan Scott performed well for the Stillers.

Why is Chambers on this team instead of him? It doesn;t make any sense since Chambers was cut last year.

It has been no mystery that the Bills FO cant judge talent. Just look at who their scouts have determined worthy of a first round selection vrs the players they apssed over. Look at jackson who was third fiddle to A. Thomas. J. Greer, J. Leonard etc.

These evaluations are not just on the coaching staff, but also on the scouts. NFL scouts SCOUT THEIR OWN TEMS DURING TRAINING CAMP - and advise the coaches who to cut/who to retain. I would assume the coach has final say but he does get lots of imput from the scouting staff. The Bills have been FAR FAR FAR below par in this area for over a decade. They need an improvement in this area more than QB...

I've got diehard Steelers friends who literally take a week off during summer and go to Latrobe to drink and watch training camp. We've debated the merits of the Bill's signing him when it was known we needed help and the conversation switched gears a bit when the Steelers got him. Naturally he was a topic of discussion when they got back from their trip. They said he was routinely beaten by their LBs in pass blocking situations (if he played OT here) and was also having problems w/ interior linemen (if he played inside here, however unlikely). I also saw the game, and while no scout myself, he didn't seem all that impressive.

FWIW, and I am not defending Adams, but no Ts can block harrison/Woodley/Timmons/Harris. Blocking Maybin/Ellis/etc is much different.

I think i'm interpreting this a bit different than most other people. The '...I'd rather Trent make the right read. And I have to give him enough opportunities' to me means that if he's checking down when other guys are open, the problem is on Trent. If he's always throwing those under 4 yard passes because nobody is open, then the offensive scheme we're running is not effective enough.

”So I want him to make the right reads and go to the right place. And if we’re not getting people open, then we either have to get different people or we have to create better schemes to get those guys open.”

I think this sums it up pretty well. To me this is his clarification of what he had said before.

Nobody can throw it laying on their back or running around for their life back there. So our protection has to get better.”

You gotta have the whole quote for this as the 'our protection has to get better' isn't specifically for Trent, it's for everybody. It also happens to be 100% true. Nobody can throw it laying on their back or running around for their life.

word.

what he said was 100% true, and you have to be working pretty hard to assume that what CG said enables Trent in some way (as was pointed out a few threads back). and honestly, absent the context provided by knowing the discussions CG is having with TE privately, in a professional setting----reading anything more into this is pretty hard to do. perhaps he's lighting TE up for his performance last week, privately. perhaps he threatened to take away the number one spot, or maybe he thinks it's a work in progress.

oh, and i loved this part of his statement:

And I have to give him enough opportunities'

yes, 100%, yes.

Ugh is right! i see Peyton Manning rushing his throws and he still manages to complete them while taking a hit. Let's scrutinize Aaron Rodgers, Roethlisberger, RIvers, Eli, etc... These guys are scrambling for their lives and still make plays! NO TEAM has a flawless O-line. QB's still have to make plays. I'm not saying the O-line doesn't need to get better but the QB's here give them no help whatsoever.

Your spot on with Rodgers and Rivers, Ben too although he just huge and hard to get to the ground. Makes throws with guys hanging on. Rodgers is awesome no excuses no constant check downs. Manning however no way, if Peyton has to move his feet at all the balls in the ground. Point well taken though -

Who's happy with their o-line ? All I ever here is teams trying to strengthen or fix the offensive line.

Problem is they've had 10 years to PLUG HOLES and we now have more holes than a block of swiss cheese. How many times am I gonna hear "can't be done in a year" or "takes 2-3 years for a rebuild to come together" or "I have a wait and see attitude" or "it's only the first pre/reg/season game, first year, second year etc" or "there was no good free agents or draft picks where we picked anyway" ,so lets get another RB when we have 2 starters.

As long as Ralph has fans like you who make excuses for the terrible decisions made by HIS staff year after year he's got no reason to change the way he runs the team. False hope, marketing gimmicks are provided by OBD each year and the lemmings continue to jump over the cliff.

Au contrare mon frere. You can B word and moan all you want, but the Bills are what they are. They are where they are. 10 years later, THIS IS WHAT WE GOT!! This is year one of this regime. They have had less than a year to assemble this team. That being said, if next year looks like last year, rest assured my season tix count will go down. I don't make excuses for anyone. But if you think that fans have anything to do with the direction of the team, you are delusional.

Likewise, if you think they could have secured a QB, LT, RT, 2 WRs, a TE, a Defensive line and at least 2 starting LBs in 1 year, back off the hooka.

Gailey/Nix have no one to blame but themselves. Even if that quote is from months ago, they knew full well we needed OL and QB help above all else. They neglected both and took a huge gamble on the luxury pick Spiller above a potential franchise Qb and/or building the OL. They passed on Clausen and more quality OL prospects in round 2 also (at least Troup was a need fill). To argue that there "was no value at OL/QB" at our picks of 9 and 42 is assinine.

Now their beds are made and they will have to sleep in them.

I fully agree the Bills are not going to be a complete or effective team until they address their needs at QB, pass rushing OLB, and OL. For OL, LT is the biggest need, but the Bills also need a RT and a center. They could always move Wood to C, in which case they'd need a RG instead.

As for free agency, there weren't exactly a lot of first-rate players at any of the Bills' major needs. One could always argue that (insert the name of some second- or third-rate player) is better than what we have right now. But the Bills should be focused on finding long-term answers, rather than on attempting to find free agent stopgaps like the ones Marv found.

In the draft, Spiller was significantly more highly rated than were any of the other players available when the Bills picked. I'm not any happier about addressing the RB position than you are. On the other hand, this team needs superstars and game changers, in the worst way. We had to get a player like that with our first round pick, if this team is going to go anywhere. Taking a very highly rated player--such as Spiller--seems more likely to produce that outcome than taking would reaching for a lesser player based on need. (Reaching for players based on perceived need brought us Whitner, McCargo, and others.)

I realize you probably want the Bills to engage in a drafting strategy that's somewhere between those two extremes. To draft players at positions that are of more need than RB, without engaging in Whitner-style reaches. And that's fair enough. But if Spiller becomes the next Thurman Thomas, and if the LTs and QBs picked 9th - 20th tend to be a little disappointing for where they were drafted, Nix's decision will look like a good one.

Like you, I was disappointed when the Bills used their second round pick on Troupe instead of Clausen. But it looks like Troupe is off to a good start for his career. If these early indicators are correct, Troupe will more than justify the second round pick used to take him. As for Clausen--the decision to pass him over will be justified in hindsight if one of the following happens: 1) Clausen has a bad career. 2) The Bills find a QB that's as good or better, in the 2011 draft. 3) One of the current Bills' QBs turns out to be The Guy. The odds of 3) are very slim, so let's focus on 1) and 2). There will be some good QBs available in 2011--guys like Ponder--so hopefully the Bills will draft one of them.

In 2010, the Bills seemed to do a good job of finding players that are as good as, or better, than you'd expect from their draft position. If the Bills manage to continue that in the 2011 draft, and if they address QB and LT very early on, it would represent very solid progress towards building a good team! :lol: (And yes, I realize that's a lot of ifs.)

Au contrare mon frere. You can B word and moan all you want, but the Bills are what they are. They are where they are. 10 years later, THIS IS WHAT WE GOT!! This is year one of this regime. They have had less than a year to assemble this team. That being said, if next year looks like last year, rest assured my season tix count will go down. I don't make excuses for anyone. But if you think that fans have anything to do with the direction of the team, you are delusional.

Likewise, if you think they could have secured a QB, LT, RT, 2 WRs, a TE, a Defensive line and at least 2 starting LBs in 1 year, back off the hooka.

No, the problem is, a real organization would know that they suck and would have started addressing the problem now, in order to prepare for the future.

How'd they do that, and start addressing the above problems you point out? Well, they drafted C.J. Spiller of course. Please note my sarcasm as I say that. So, again, they addressed a QB, LT, RT, 2 WR's, a TE, and a D-Line and 2 LB's with CJ Spiller, old ass Cornell Brown, and a couple of medicore or backup LB's from other teams, who are barely good enough to replace the guys that supposedly don't fit this new system.

I don't know why so many of you can't just call this organization for what it is. It's a joke. Period. Doesn't mean we don't like them, but they are the new joke of the league.

Ugh is right! i see Peyton Manning rushing his throws and he still manages to complete them while taking a hit. Let's scrutinize Aaron Rodgers, Roethlisberger, RIvers, Eli, etc... These guys are scrambling for their lives and still make plays! NO TEAM has a flawless O-line. QB's still have to make plays. I'm not saying the O-line doesn't need to get better but the QB's here give them no help whatsoever.

Tom Brady looked completely out of sorts against the Ravens in the face of their blitz in the playoffs, Rodgers went 6-10 in 2008 with that abysmal line and Manning has struggled time and time again when the line starts braking down, Eli has played horribly when the Giants couldn't establish the run.

An average QB can look great behind a great line and a great QB can look average behind a bad line, but an Average QB behind a bad line has no chance.

If your point is; Bills need to get a pro bowl QB, nobody will object. There aren't a lot of unemployed probowl QB’s around looking for work though...

It might just be that those elite QB's actually have more then one decent receiver to throw to, and have a decent offensive scheme to play in.

Your right tho, in that no team has a perfect O line, but Tom Brady and Payton Manning are among the least sacked QB's in the NFL, and when they do get under great pressure they tend to play like...Trent Edwards

Brady and the Pats went undefeated 16-0 until they get overwhelmed by that NYG pass rush in the SB, Manning getting blitzed by Greg Williams defense in the SB

The Bills had absolutely the worst O line in the NFL by far last season, and sadly Nix / Gailey basically ignored that unit and the entire team will suffer this year for it!

No, the problem is, a real organization would know that they suck and would have started addressing the problem now, in order to prepare for the future.

How'd they do that, and start addressing the above problems you point out? Well, they drafted C.J. Spiller of course. Please note my sarcasm as I say that. So, again, they addressed a QB, LT, RT, 2 WR's, a TE, and a D-Line and 2 LB's with CJ Spiller, old ass Cornell Brown, and a couple of medicore or backup LB's from other teams, who are barely good enough to replace the guys that supposedly don't fit this new system.

I don't know why so many of you can't just call this organization for what it is. It's a joke. Period. Doesn't mean we don't like them, but they are the new joke of the league.

I didn't say they were anything but a joke. But so what.

Ugh, This team has become such a joke. It's utterly ridiculous to root for this team, when they hire 70 year old GMs and retreads as a HC no one wants. This is gonna be an ugly season. They got no OL or QB. 0-16 might very well happen.

LOL dude....why are you here then? Go route for the Saints or some other "good" team. Damn fair weather fans....

I never said the 2010 were anything but a joke. But so were the 1985 Bills. The question is: Are they moving forward? At this point, who knows.....

I was just waiting for this excuse. I knew it was coming and now that he said it confirms my belief that Nix seriously screwed up this offseason by not addressing the O-Line. Gailey says in an article from Chris Brown yesterday that: a QB can't throw downfield while he's scrambling for his life or lying on his back, we got to protect better (paraphrasing).

They are already using the poor oline as an excuse for Trent's failure to throw past 4 yards. I know we played w/o some starters on the oline Friday night but doubt Cornhole Green would do much better. The fact that Nix did nothing to shore up our oline this past offseason will kill this team, something I've been saying since the draft ended . The Bills have alot of money to spend, no cap, no Schobel, small payroll; would it kill them to bring in a Flozell-Jamal Brown-Marcus Mcneil etc.

Damit Ralph spend some money and get us some NFL tackles! Nix get out of bed before noon, put down the Metamucil, pick up the rotary dial phone and do something-Oh Yeah it's too late for this year so go back to bed.

Reaching for a need is a sure way to have a good team :lol:

Whoa Sally, are you ovulating? Have some ginsing tea, a good cry and things will get better.

Hmmm....why do you think a woman experiencing menses is a good metaphor for a weak person needlessly fretting to the point of tears?

I don't know about the women in your life but the women I know would kick me in the nads If I

came up with that one. I am sure it was unintended so don't take my pointing it out personally.

I do think the time has past though for using statements like "acting like a girl" as an insult

meant to characterize a man as being weak.

I also think they shoulda cured cancer too. And baldness. They had one whole offseason to do it. It's time for them to go. Clearly they are failures and the team needs to go in another direction. 7 months and not one word from them on how they are doing with that flying car thing. F'ing losers.

Reaching for a need is a sure way to have a good team :lol:

Of course it is. If you have sub par players and slightly less sub par player is available then you take him! That way you can still be sub par!

Oh wait..I seem to have a flaw in my log....NEVERMIND THAT! You're getting off topic. Ralph is cheap!

I also think they shoulda cured cancer too. And baldness. They had one whole offseason to do it. It's time for them to go. Clearly they are failures and the team needs to go in another direction. 7 months and not one word from them on how they are doing with that flying car thing. F'ing losers.

Harrump!

While I expect the OL to be a problem for the Bills this year, it should be mentioned THREE starting linemen were out for the last game.

Just sayin'...

And after the first series, TWO starting running backs (in what is reportedly supposed to be a run first scheme). Nothing like a Varsity-JV scrimmage.

I would like to see the three linemen who are penciled in as opening day starters in the line-up before I pass any judgments. Not that they are going to be any better at all than the back-ups (they probably won't), but then again, there is the outside chance that they are at least a little bit better.

I would at least like to watch these guys play this year before I am up in arms about a quote that Chan Gailey probably didn't say about a bunch of guys who haven't seen the field yet.