Here's my Training Camp Report from Saturday 8/7/10

Here ya go. My report from Day 10 of Training Camp is finished. Hope ya enjoy it. If you have any questions or comments, go ahead and post them. I will try to reply to all.

It was Day 10 of Buffalo Bills Training Camp at St. John Fisher College. This was the thirteenth practice in a row for the team without a day off. The players continued to practice in full pads and this time worked even harder as Coach Gailey added some full contact drills to the schedule. The team worked on 7-on-7, 11-on-11 and even some punting drills, in addition to lots of individual drills. They also ended practice with live hitting, including tackling to the ground during short yardage situations and goal-line drills. This definitely brought more excitement to the packed stands as cheers and applause were heard several times.

As always, the team started out the day working in their individual drills. Coach Gailey likes to give a lot of time for his assistant coaches to teach the fundamentals and techniques to the players. Each day, the players separate into groups and stretch with their units. The players then work on individual drills that pertain to their positions. If they struggle with a certain drill, the coach will get right in their face and explain what they are doing wrong and show them. The players then get another chance to show that they understand. It is this extra position work that should help each player become better as camp goes on. Coach Gailey likes to walk around to each group and observe and sometimes add things if he doesn't like what he sees. He also pats players on the back and congratulates them if they did a good job. It's really nice to see this hands on coaching.

The next part of the day is the 7-on-7 drills. Fans get the choice of which drill to watch as they have linemen working on blocking drills on the other side of the field. I focused on the 7-on-7. Trent Edwards started it off with a pass to Steve Johnson, but it was broken up by Drayton Florence. He then threw a 5-yard pass to Chad Jackson. On the next play, Edwards found Lee Evans, but threw it a little late and Evans was out of bounds. He then threw the ball at James Hardy's feet. Edwards recovered on the next play when he hit Lee Evans in stride for a 20-yard gain. However, Edwards then threw a bad pass that was intercepted by Drayton Florence to end the series. Ryan Fitzpatrick came in next and hit Naaman Roosevelt, who made a nice catch for 17-yards. Fitzpatrick then overthrew Chad Jackson. On the next play, Fitzpatrick found Michael Matthews for an 8-yard gain. He then connected with Steve Johnson for 5-yards. Brian Brohm came next and connected with Naaman Roosevelt for 4-yards. He then hit Donald Jones for 5-yards. The players then moved farther down the field and it was difficult to see what was going on, so I watched some of the blocking drills. I did see Aaron Maybin get thrown to the ground by Jamon Meredith, not once, but twice. I also enjoyed watching Alex Carrington shove Kirk Chambers out of the way.......

CLICK HERE FOR MORE:

Wonder if anyone got a picture of Chad Jackson flying over the fence? :worthy:

I want that photo, it was right in my face. My photo of him was just a blank white photo, It must have went off when he hit into us.

Thanks man. I'm not a big training camp guy (too many bad memories haha) but I really enjoy the reports.

1) It's obviously hard to tell with Edwards, but maybe he was being coached to take the checkdown. I've been a part of camps where coaches start off teaching the short passes before stretching it out more down field. Also, if Spiller is in the backfield, is a checkdown such a bad thing this year?

2) I love people overreaching to how empty the stands were the first day of camp on a weekday. By all accounts, it has been packed everyday. People here love the Bills and I think are getting excited for the season.

3) Davis will be a 2nd down ILB and we can bring Mitchell in for 3rd down. He's a better coverage guy and a good blitzer. I think we will have more sacks than last year but they will be spread out throughout the roster.

4) Let's not overreact on McKelvin. He is coming off a serious injury. Also, I beleive he struggles in camp every year. I believe he is a just one of those guys who is a gamer. That's why I don't put a ton of stock into training camp.

That said, in today's NFL, 3 corners play a ton so it's not really a big deal if you aren't technically a starter. Either way, it will be hard to find 3 better corners than our group.

Thanks man. I'm not a big training camp guy (too many bad memories haha) but I really enjoy the reports.

1) It's obviously hard to tell with Edwards, but maybe he was being coached to take the checkdown. I've been a part of camps where coaches start off teaching the short passes before stretching it out more down field. Also, if Spiller is in the backfield, is a checkdown such a bad thing this year?

2) I love people overreaching to how empty the stands were the first day of camp on a weekday. By all accounts, it has been packed everyday. People here love the Bills and I think are getting excited for the season.

3) Davis will be a 2nd down ILB and we can bring Mitchell in for 3rd down. He's a better coverage guy and a good blitzer. I think we will have more sacks than last year but they will be spread out throughout the roster.

4) Let's not overreact on McKelvin. He is coming off a serious injury. Also, I beleive he struggles in camp every year. I believe he is a just one of those guys who is a gamer. That's why I don't put a ton of stock into training camp.

That said, in today's NFL, 3 corners play a ton so it's not really a big deal if you aren't technically a starter. Either way, it will be hard to find 3 better corners than our group.

You got some good points there. I was wondering if Edwards was getting coached to checkdown. It was strange how silent Lee Evans was at the start of camp.

People were going nuts and talking about how empty it's been and how quiet the crowd was. It's definitely picked up this week. I was impressed with the crowd over the last few days.

I could see that. Davis is a good fit on 1st and 2nd down. I like keeping Mitchell for 3rd downs too.

I may be jumping off McKelvin's bandwagon, but I think it is more because of how well Florence has played. I think he's earned the job, at least for now.

It looks like Spiller averaged about 2 yards a carry...BUST (way just kidding!)

Glad to Edwards getting in sync with Lee Evans...this could a big year for both!

Thanks for the reports.....living in the South now I save my trips for real games and appreciate being informed!

Glad to Edwards getting in sync with Lee Evans...this could a big year for both!

Amen bro! And not only that, but Mike's comment on TE seeing the whole field finally...it has to be the reason he's hitting Lee now.

Thanks again Mike...reading your reports is like Christmas morning!

As always excellent report. It is good to see that there are differences in Edwards playing style so far, hopefully it extends in to the season.

From your reports I can never tell if Maybin is playing well or not, but as long as I keep seeing his name I will assume that means he is improving.

Thanks Mike. Do you get the sense that Lynch is running more decisively so far in camp? I realize that our o-line may not open huge holes, but he's got to stop that pitter pat in the backfield.

Excellent question. I await the answer as well. IMO, that has been Lynch's biggest drawback - he's been too indecisive/poor vision/whatever; he just doesn't hit the hole fast enough.

Nice report again, Mike. Is it me? Or are we getting about twice the Training Camp action this year! All these 2-a-days; the full pads; the tackling/hitting. It seems they're getting a heck of a lot more practice in this year. Plus I really like the reports that the pace of the practice is quicker; plus it's longer. Impressive so far. I hope it translates to a tougher team and some wins.

Another great effort.

I am so pumped for football I even plan to watch some of the HOF game tonight.

Thanks! Glad you like it. I am also ready for some football. I usually don't get into it this much, this early...but hearing the pads smacking and seeing the action, I'm ready now!

Thanks Mike, another great report :worthy:

Thanks! :lol:

Nice job...

Thank you.

It looks like Spiller averaged about 2 yards a carry...BUST (way just kidding!)

Thanks for the reports.....living in the South now I save my trips for real games and appreciate being informed!

I'm glad you enjoy them. It's definitely nice to see Edwards getting in sync with Evans...he wasn't in sync with him last year at camp.

As always excellent report. It is good to see that there are differences in Edwards playing style so far, hopefully it extends in to the season.

From your reports I can never tell if Maybin is playing well or not, but as long as I keep seeing his name I will assume that means he is improving.

Thank you for the comments. As for Maybin, he's a mixed bag. On the individual drills, he's getting owned, but in the 11-on-11 drills, he's showing nice pass rush and is making some plays.

You da man!

Thank you. :lol:

Thanks Mike. Do you get the sense that Lynch is running more decisively so far in camp? I realize that our o-line may not open huge holes, but he's got to stop that pitter pat in the backfield.

Actually, I'm glad you asked about this. I was going to talk about that in one of my Extra Points but completely forgot. Lynch looks like a changed man. He's hitting that hole immediately and running with authority. I love watching him run with the ball, he bowls right thru everyone.

Excellent question. I await the answer as well. IMO, that has been Lynch's biggest drawback - he's been too indecisive/poor vision/whatever; he just doesn't hit the hole fast enough.

Nice report again, Mike. Is it me? Or are we getting about twice the Training Camp action this year! All these 2-a-days; the full pads; the tackling/hitting. It seems they're getting a heck of a lot more practice in this year. Plus I really like the reports that the pace of the practice is quicker; plus it's longer. Impressive so far. I hope it translates to a tougher team and some wins.

We are getting a ton of Training Camp. I'll be honest, I hardly did reports the last couple years because I was bored out of my mind. I remember Gregg Williams camp has lots of big hits, tackling and all that, but that was a long time ago. The Jauron camp was basically like a walk-thru everyday. It's nice to finally get away from that.

Actually, I'm glad you asked about this. I was going to talk about that in one of my Extra Points but completely forgot. Lynch looks like a changed man. He's hitting that hole immediately and running with authority. I love watching him run with the ball, he bowls right thru everyone.

We are getting a ton of Training Camp. I'll be honest, I hardly did reports the last couple years because I was bored out of my mind. I remember Gregg Williams camp has lots of big hits, tackling and all that, but that was a long time ago. The Jauron camp was basically like a walk-thru everyday. It's nice to finally get away from that.

Post of the day! Seriously, the best news I've heard about this team in a while. If Lynch starts running with authority, Jackson is his usual elusive self with the power to hammer people, and Spiller has the break away speed he's supposed to; we may not need a QB.

Thanks as always, Mike.

It must be tough as I know you work nights (graveyard shift?).

It's likely you enjoy doing this but I know you must also feel an obligation to file your reports as so many people (especially this year) look forward to them.

It won't be the end of the world if you ever have to take a day off…I'm glad for your sake the Bills didn't practice today.

Have a good Sunday, Bills brother.

I can't assume they'll put more pressure on the QB this season. There isn't one proven pass rusher on the roster right now and I don't see them getting sacks from their ILB's.

McKelvin was healed earlier this year if I recall so using the injury shouldn't hamper his performance. And yes, it's alarming when the 11th overall pick from the 2008 draft can't win a starting CB job. Heck, there are 6 first rounders from 06-09 and only Wood is a definite starter with Whitner probable. That's not good.

Post of the day! Seriously, the best news I've heard about this team in a while. If Lynch starts running with authority, Jackson is his usual elusive self with the power to hammer people, and Spiller has the break away speed he's supposed to; we may not need a QB.

Agreed. I've enjoyed watching Lynch at camp because of how he's running with the ball. Hopefully he keeps this up in the regular season. Oh and they are doing a lot of two back formations, so no matter what, we will get a lot of use out of all 3 RBs too.

I agree BUT.....

If the Bills are going to be good on offense they have to get Evans the Ball in space along with the other WR's.

Otherwise teams are gonna stack the line and dare us to throw. Teams we play early are gonna see if Edwards can beat them.

I think the Chan is gonna use Nelson alot to open things up. any news on how TE Nelson has done so far?

Thanks as always, Mike.

It must be tough as I know you work nights (graveyard shift?).

It's likely you enjoy doing this but I know you must also feel an obligation to file your reports as so many people (especially this year) look forward to them.

It won't be the end of the world if you ever have to take a day off…I'm glad for your sake the Bills didn't practice today.

Have a good Sunday, Bills brother.

I'm glad you enjoy them. Yeah I do work the graveyard shift, 11:30pm - 8:00am, but sometimes 8:30am. It's tough to write these up right after practice. All the night practices really screw me over. I miss the morning/early afternoon practices. Those worked best for my sleeping schedule. lol

I do enjoy writing them and sharing them. I don't feel obligated. I actually took a few days off this week, early in the week, I didn't have a report for Sunday, Monday or Tuesday. I will say, it's nice to finally have a day off. I can't sleep for some reason though. I already tried.

Oh well...at least my car gets a little break. I've filled the tank a couple times since camp opened up. I didn't realize how much gas it takes going to and from Fisher, until I was on E on Thursday afternoon. I put almost a 1/2 of a tank in and it's already gone and my work is right down the street from me. It's still worth it though. I enjoy collecting autographs, so I also spend time each practice getting my football, yearbook and some 8x10 photos signed. :worthy:

I can't assume they'll put more pressure on the QB this season. There isn't one proven pass rusher on the roster right now and I don't see them getting sacks from their ILB's.

McKelvin was healed earlier this year if I recall so using the injury shouldn't hamper his performance. And yes, it's alarming when the 11th overall pick from the 2008 draft can't win a starting CB job. Heck, there are 6 first rounders from 06-09 and only Wood is a definite starter with Whitner probable. That's not good.

They are going to get more sacks because they will blitz a lot more.

Another out standing report.

Thanks

Thanks. Glad you liked it.

Hey Mike, thanks so much for keeping us outta town Bills fans up to date. Your reports are more detailed and better written than most of the so called "pro" sports writers. Keep up the good work!

No problem. Thank you for the compliments! :worthy:

I agree BUT.....

If the Bills are going to be good on offense they have to get Evans the Ball in space along with the other WR's.

Otherwise teams are gonna stack the line and dare us to throw. Teams we play early are gonna see if Edwards can beat them.

I think the Chan is gonna use Nelson alot to open things up. any news on how TE Nelson has done so far?

Nelson has looked good. He's struggled with run blocking, but he's caught everything thrown his way. I really like him as a pass catcher.

I agree BUT.....

That's exactly what I expect opposing teams to do.. stack the line and force Trent to beat them. Which is why I really hope they have a lot of slants and quick passes in the offense. They're going to need it.

That's exactly what I expect opposing teams to do.. stack the line and force Trent to beat them. Which is why I really hope they have a lot of slants and quick passes in the offense. They're going to need it.

I think Trent could get some mileage from a pump-fake to his usual 4-yard target and then airing it out to a deeper WR. It may only work a few times, but I think it would work pretty big.

I think Trent could get some mileage from a pump-fake to his usual 4-yard target and then airing it out to a deeper WR. It may only work a few times, but I think it would work pretty big.

Has Trent ever pump-faked? That's a serious question.

I think there's possibly going to be quite a few opportunities fom pump-fakes, play action, outside single coverage, slot guys freed up by blitzing LBs; the mystery is... will Trent recognize and take advantage of any of that? A strong run game should open up plenty of passing opportunities.

Mike, Are you aware that you made some positive comments about Trent Edwards? DarthIce hates you. Watch your back. LOL

Your reports are terrific. They get my juices going. If we can get adequate qb and OL play just maybe this team will be entertaining to watch? :worthy:

Thanks again for another great report Mike! Keep up the great work!

In your opinion, do you think Chris Ellis has progressed enough to be the opening day starting LOLB?

Yeah I really believe that Chris Ellis will be the starter and it doesn't bother me. He's earned it.

Yeah I really believe that Chris Ellis will be the starter and it doesn't bother me. He's earned it.

Thanks! I'm glad to hear that Ellis is progressing well in his new role. Under Jauron, he couldn't see the light of day, even though he had a strong preseason last year.

Thanks! I'm glad to hear that Ellis is progressing well in his new role. Under Jauron, he couldn't see the light of day, even though he had a strong preseason last year.

After seeing both Steve Johnson and Chris Ellis in camp, I'm more pissed than ever at Jauron. It's so obvious now that he doesn't like using his young guys. At least Gailey gives the young guys a chance. I can honestly see at least 5 young guys have big roles this year.

Steve Johnson

Alex Carrington

Chris Ellis

Torell Troup

CJ Spiller

Marcus Easley

They are going to get more sacks because they will blitz a lot more.

Blitzing doesn't always equal sacks. Far from it. You remember what Marv used to say, "Thanks for blitzing." For blitzes to work, a lot of things have to fall into place. You have to have physically talented guys, guys with a lot of explosion. We haven't got one proven guy now that Schobel is gone. You have to be able to prevent them from going to their blitz hot routes and we have new guys in the positions that will be responsible for hammering them when they run slants and through the middle.

A lot of things have to come together, and those things usually don't come together for a year or two in a new defensive system. If you have the athletes to compensate (aka Mathews when Green Bay switched to a 3 - 4), you can get away with it. Have we got the athlete? Well, Maybin could prove he's the guy. I'd love to see that, but he hasn't looked great in camp, just decent. I don't think we've got a real athlete there who can do that.

Blitzing can also allow big plays, it doesn't automatically get sacks. If it did, everyone would do it all the time.

I could definitely see Ellis as the starter, but I have a different reaction than you. I just look at who he beat out. Never played-LB-in-his-life Chris Kelsay. Rookies Batten and Coleman? Just not big enough Keith Ellison? Manalac? Mitchell's an ILB, as is Andra Davis, right? If Mitchell's an OLB, will he play passing downs? Running downs? Bryan Scott, or will he be a safety? Donovan Woods?

Except for Kawika, who might not be competing for the same spot, I don't see a lot of tough competition there. Well, we'll see. It'll be interesting.

Thanks for the report, though. Interesting stuff.

Hey Mike,

First and foremost, thanks so much for the training camp reports. Far more detail than we get from the mainstream papers!

I'd like to focus on the lines if I could.

1) How was Bell, and how was Wood? From what I've read, Wood's been getting a good amount of rest.

2) Is anyone aside from Troup and Williams playing NT? How's that kid Harvey?

Again, many thanks.