Buffalo rumblings studs and duds

Fingon

STUDS

NT Torell Troup: The rookie out of Central Florida has been unblockable in one-on-one drills, consistently beating blockers with brute strength unrivaled by anyone else on this roster. In team work, he has shown the capability to shed blockers repeatedly, and consistently controls blockers and generates great push. He's surprisingly technically sound, and is a real throwback-type, as he's the only player on the field without any tape or gloves on his hands. I'm still not sure Troup's ceiling is very high, but he appears to be close to it already, and could get a lot more rookie playing time than originally anticipated.

Star-divide

SS Donte Whitner: The former No. 8 overall pick was almost an afterthought entering camp, what with all the hype surrounding fellow safeties Jairus Byrd and George Wilson. Whitner has looked excellent, however; he's moving faster than every defender on the field, looks great on the blitz from his strong safety position, and has never been a liability in coverage at safety. Many thought Wilson would claim his starting spot, but judging from the way Whitner is acclimating to the new defensive scheme, that seems unlikely for the time being.

WR Chad Jackson: Bills head coach Chan Gailey was very up front in heaping praise on the former second-round pick of New England, and Jackson has begun his march up the depth chart as a result - he got some first-team reps Wednesday in spread formation looks as the fourth receiver, ahead of names like James Hardy, Felton Huggins and David Nelson. Steve Johnson still appears to have a stranglehold on the No. 2 receiving spot (and Roscoe Parrish likewise in the slot), but no receiver has made a bigger impression to this point than Jackson. He's looked every bit of the phenomenal athlete that made him a second-round pick in the first place.

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2010/8/5/1...mp-week-1-studs

I usually respect Brian Galliford's assessments but how he can put Troup in that small of a box so soon is beyond me. Our second round pick is close to reaching his ceiling , in the first week of his first training camp?

I think what he tried to say is that what you see is what you get, a space eater commanding the double team that isn't athletic enough to get to the QB. If Troup can do that for 10 years he's a great pick.

I think what he tried to say is that what you see is what you get, a space eater commanding the double team that isn't athletic enough to get to the QB. If Troup can do that for 10 years he's a great pick.

I agree. The "ceiling" remark was odd though. What the Hell is the ceiling for a NT? If it takes two OL to block you play in and play out and you can collapse the pocket, make tackles and play three downs a series, you're a Pro-Bowl NT.

I agree. The "ceiling" remark was odd though. What the Hell is the ceiling for a NT? If it takes two OL to block you play in and play out and you can collapse the pocket, make tackles and play three downs a series, you're a Pro-Bowl NT.

If he is very technically sound, and athletically not expected to get much bigger, faster, stronger, then he has probably gotten close to his ceiling -- ie. hes not a project, he is what he is at this point and will work on polishing instead of building from the ground up.

Whats the ceiling for any position? I dont get why its odd.

If he is very technically sound, and athletically not expected to get much bigger, faster, stronger, then he has probably gotten close to his ceiling.

How can anyone, much less some (in essence) fan make that determination? He may not get taller, but he can certainly add weight. He can also probably add more strength being in a professional weight program. Speed, who knows, but speed isn't necessary for a NT. If anything, I also think he meant he won't be a pass-rushing NT. Not that there have been many, if any, of those.

I understand what the writer was saying when he referred to Troup already near to his ceiling level. There were a couple of NTs such as Cody and Linval Joseph who were bigger and bulkier who had potentially more long term upside. The expectations for Troup is that he is going to play nearer to his ceiling level much quicker than these other rawer players.

I don't think the writer was disparaging Troup so much as complimenting a more finished product than some other NT prospects. I remember prior to the draft one Bill scout describing Troup as being well conditioned for a NT. He stated that with him he would be able to be on the field for more plays because of his unusual stamina for a man his size.

Everything I have read about him prior to the draft is that he is a worker and high effort player. He is a solid pick and the type of player you would want on your roster.

I understand what the writer was saying when he referred to Troup already near to his ceiling level. There were a couple of NTs such as Cody and Linval Joseph who were bigger and bulkier who had potentially more long term upside. The expectations for Troup is that he is going to play nearer to his ceiling level muck quicker than these other rawer players.

I don't think the writer was disparaging Troup so much as complimenting a more finished product than some other NT prospects. I remember prior to the draft one Bill scout describing Troup as being well conditioned for a NT. He stated that with him he would be able to be on the field for more plays because of his unusual stamina for a man his size.

Everything I have read about him prior to the draft is that he is a worker and high effort player. He is a solid pick and the type of player you would want on your roster.

He is a "smaller" DT/NT. He'll get worn out by the potential double team blocks or a bigger and better OL than what he's facing in Bills' training camp. For now, he's good in a rotation of NTs.

Troup is the type of draft pick that will make or break this new front office......

People were knocking the pick because either:

- We didn't trade back and get Dan Williams

- We didnt take Mt Cody when we were going to switch to a 3-4

- We didnt take a player at another position of need at with that 2nd round pick

What people dont understand is that Troup is a fricking stud (well they are seeing that now) and while there were 3 defensive linemen who received all the hype (they all went in the 1st) we allowed what needed to happen which is allow Buddy Nix to do his thing and rely on our draft scouts.....stay put and take him with the 2nd round pick....we didn't have to give anything up in a trade up scenario.......

How can anyone, much less some (in essence) fan make that determination? He may not get taller, but he can certainly add weight. He can also probably add more strength being in a professional weight program. Speed, who knows, but speed isn't necessary for a NT. If anything, I also think he meant he won't be a pass-rushing NT. Not that there have been many, if any, of those.

If hes playing at a healthy weight, and is not expected to shed a ton of fat (ala cody), or add a ton of muscle (ala maybin) then then what is the big change he will make? he might improve marginally in specific areas, but do you expect it to be exponential if he has been doing the right things all along?

Cody on the other hand has a long way to go with fitness and technique, he isnt as close to his ceiling.

Saying he is near his ceiling is more a compliment to what hes done then an insult to what he can do.

Im a fan and I can see that

If hes playing at a healthy weight, and is not expected to shed a ton of fat (ala cody), or add a ton of muscle (ala maybin) then then what is the big change he will make? he might improve marginally in specific areas, but do you expect it to be exponential if he has been doing the right things all along?

Cody on the other hand has a long way to go with fitness and technique, he isnt as close to his ceiling.

Saying he is near his ceiling is more a compliment to what hes done then an insult to what he can do.

Im a fan and I can see that

Sometimes the ceiling comment is very over rated......I take those comments to talk about a player who isn't good enough right now and you wonder if when he reaches his ceiling he will be (cough Maybin cough)

If Troup is a stud RIGHT NOW then who cares? He will get better simply by gaining experience and meshing with his team mates.......

If he is very technically sound, and athletically not expected to get much bigger, faster, stronger, then he has probably gotten close to his ceiling -- ie. hes not a project, he is what he is at this point and will work on polishing instead of building from the ground up.

I see your point, in terms of his physical attributes. That is the perspective from a "measurables" standpoint. Not to turn this into quantum physics but I believe Troup played in a 4-3 during college so there's still probably a lot he can learn on the mental side of the game, which would add to his ceiling.

He can add weight if desired, seeing as he lost about 30 pounds with a religious running regimen. And he was one of the strongest players at the combine but certainly he could get stronger as you point out. I agree with your interpretation of Brian G's statement.

I understand what the writer was saying when he referred to Troup already near to his ceiling level. There were a couple of NTs such as Cody and Linval Joseph who were bigger and bulkier who had potentially more long term upside. The expectations for Troup is that he is going to play nearer to his ceiling level much quicker than these other rawer players.

Absolutely. Strong take.

He is a "smaller" DT/NT. He'll get worn out by the potential double team blocks or a bigger and better OL than what he's facing in Bills' training camp. For now, he's good in a rotation of NTs.

All reports from camp are that Troup is quite large-boned with a good anchor. It's been well documented by others that he lost about 30 pounds over the course of his collegiate career to get down in the 320 pound range. He could get bigger if the coaches determine that to be the best strategy.

Troup is currently not the biggest NT in the league by any means but projecting on what we know of him, I don't think we'll have to worry about him getting worn down.

What's odd is being that emphatic about the box he put a guy in after seeing him for one week. So he's either one of the greatest talent evaluators of all time, or he jumped the gun by a country mile on that comment.

What's odd is being that emphatic about the box he put a guy in after seeing him for one week. So he's either one of the greatest talent evaluators of all time, or he jumped the gun by a country mile on that comment.

From the career curve perspective, yes. A bit early for statements like that.

But I do understand where the writer is coming from, even if I don't necessarily agree.

From the career curve perspective, yes. A bit early for statements like that.

But I do understand where the writer is coming from, even if I don't necessarily agree.

Oh I understand where he's coming from. And maybe I'm taking it a bit to literal. But based on his follow up in the blog responses below his assessment. He emphatically believes he has Troup's entire career labeled from one week of the kids first training camp. Even if he devoted every minute watching Troup, which he clearly didn't as he had opinions on many other players, how is it possible to come to that definitive of a conclusion?

Oh I understand where he's coming from. And maybe I'm taking it a bit to literal. But based on his follow up in the blog responses below his assessment. He emphatically believes he has Troup's entire career labeled from one week of the kids first training camp. Even if he devoted every minute watching Troup, which he clearly didn't as he had opinions on many other players, how is it possible to come to that definitive of a conclusion?

It's not possible and based on what you report, Brian's being a bit obstinate, to his own detriment.

Troup is the type of draft pick that will make or break this new front office......

- We didnt take a player at another position of need at with that 2nd round pick

What people dont understand is that Troup is a fricking stud (well they are seeing that now) and while there were 3 defensive linemen who received all the hype (they all went in the 1st) we allowed what needed to happen which is allow Buddy Nix to do his thing and rely on our draft scouts.....stay put and take him with the 2nd round pick....we didn't have to give anything up in a trade up scenario.......

None of those guys has played an NFL down yet by the way. I have no problems with Troup. Stud? Eh. If you haven't been paying attention apparently the Ravens are pretty pleased with Cody. Of course the only thing is his weight but he is just one of those guys like Ted Washington. Let him eat what he wants he will cave in the offensive line on Sunday.

None of those guys has played an NFL down yet by the way. I have no problems with Troup. Stud? Eh. If you haven't been paying attention apparently the Ravens are pretty pleased with Cody. Of course the only thing is his weight but he is just one of those guys like Ted Washington. Let him eat what he wants he will cave in the offensive line on Sunday.

Are the Ravens pleased that Cody failed his conditioning test?

Are the Ravens pleased that Cody failed his conditioning test?

:D Yep, Cody is awesome...except he's too fat and can't pass his conditioning test. Otherwise he's flippin' awesome! :D

ptr

The bad with the good.

DUDS

QB Ryan Fitzpatrick: Exactly zero of Buffalo's quarterbacks has been impressive through the first week of camp, but Fitzpatrick has been a special case of terrible. No QB has tossed more interceptions to date, his accuracy is as erratic as ever, and I've heard whispers that of all quarterbacks on the roster, he's been most frustrated by how the "pecking order" has taken shape. (Those are obviously unconfirmed, and no bad blood exists between the four guys, so don't get your panties in a bunch; disregard entirely if you're not a fan of rumors.) He was always a long-shot to emerge from the pre-season as the starter, but he's already put himself in an early hole in that regard.

CB Leodis McKelvin: ESPN's Tim Graham called McKelvin out on his blog for showing lapses in concentration on the practice field. He's been aggressive at times, but complacent at others, and has been burned a few times on deep routes. He's also being given an excellent opportunity to win the punt returning job, but is quite literally fumbling that chance away, muffing punts as frequently as Fitzpatrick skips passes. I said all off-season that McKelvin would have a hard time earning his starting cornerback job back, and if he continues to play the way he has this past week, he'll likely be relegated to nickel duty to start the season.

OT Jamon Meredith: With an entire set of spring practices under his belt as the starting left tackle, many thought Meredith would be able to hold off incumbent Demetrius Bell for the starting job on the blind side. Bell is still working his way back into full playing shape, meaning that while Bell still looks to be penciled in as the starter, Meredith is still seeing a lot of work with the first team at left tackle. He's not taking advantage, struggling mightily with good speed rushes on the edge, and finding difficulty dealing with the power of Buffalo's underrated five-technique defensive ends. Meredith has looked OK run blocking, but at the moment, he projects most comfortably as the team's swing tackle behind Bell and Cornell Green.

I dont even know what to say to this its so wrong

- Mt Cody failed his physical and wasn't able to practice initially.....and even now he has to leave the field way to frequently because of his lack of conditioning....notice I say LACK OF CONDITIONING....Im not talking about how much weight he is carrying......

- The comparisons with Ted Washington (young Ted Washington) stop with how much they way on the scale people tend to forget how agile of a big man Ted was in his younger days......he could actually rush the passer.......Cody is gonna anchor and thats it.

I dont even know what to say to this its so wrong

- Mt Cody failed his physical and wasn't able to practice initially.....and even now he has to leave the field way to frequently because of his lack of conditioning....notice I say LACK OF CONDITIONING....Im not talking about how much weight he is carrying......

- The comparisons with Ted Washington (young Ted Washington) stop with how much they way on the scale people tend to forget how agile of a big man Ted was in his younger days......he could actually rush the passer.......Cody is gonna anchor and thats it.

Some people just can't let go of the pre-draft hype. Even when the evidence is right in front of them. Troup could be a ten-year Pro Bowler but for some people the Bills still messed up by not drafting the guy who Kiper was slobbering over. Same with QB's. People still can't get over not picking Clausen at #9 even now when Jimmy is in danger of being cut in Carolina.

PTR

Some people just can't let go of the pre-draft hype. Even when the evidence is right in front of them. Troup could be a ten-year Pro Bowler but for some people the Bills still messed up by not drafting the guy who Kiper was slobbering over. Same with QB's. People still can't get over not picking Clausen at #9 even now when Jimmy is in danger of being cut in Carolina.

PTR

Where have you heard he's in danger of being cut? I live in Charlotte and haven't heard or read that.

Ahhhh I was commenting based on the article, I didnt read the comments. If hes being overly ambitious there, i didnt realize it. In the article it seemed like just an educated opinion, not like he was trying to state fact.

I think I was equally taken back by all the people that were upset or confused by the ceiling comment in the article, as it seemed pretty innocuous overall. If his mind and body are relatively mature, and his technique is sound, there isnt reason to believe he will change THAT much as a player. Im not saying no improvement and he will never get any stronger or smarter, but it shouldn't be anything that makes you do a double take if you see him down the line.

We seem to be all agreeing the guy is a stud and all the hand wringing because we didn't pick the better known NT's seems to have quietly gone away. I still stand by the notion that one week into training camp is not a time to put brackets around a player and say he's at or near the top of his game. Better conditioning and strength coaches, better technique coaches, experience and more knowlege of the 3-4 is going to make this guy better. But it's a small point. I don't think the writer was disparaging Troup, I just thought it an odd comment.

One thing I'm happy to see is that Buddy Nix knows talent and if he wants it, he goes and gets it no matter what others may think. The guy's got stones.

One thing I'm happy to see is that Buddy Nix knows talent and if he wants it, he goes and gets it no matter what others may think. The guy's got stones.

Isn't it refreshing to have a draft where the majority of picks aren't DBs?

I never heard of a "franchise" third-string QB.

PTR

i wasnt aware second round picks were expected to start from their first practice?

actually im curious now -- who was the last qb taken say 50th or later (i know he was 48th) to start opening day... heck even say 30th or lower

let's see if he can play like a stud against someone other than Hangartner and our porous OL