Mixed Feelings Regarding Schoebel

Does anybody else have mixed feelings about Schoebel? I certainly do, I know I'll be crucified on this board for not kneeling to his holiness and kissing the gound he walks on BUT....If he goes on to play for another team my opinion of him will surely deteriorate. Why not help out your life long team when they need you? Why switch teams at this point of your career? Where's the loyalty? It would be like me changing into a Redskins fan becasue I live closer to DC than Buffalo, and it's too hard on my family to travel to Buffalo to see them play. He jerked us along for the past two seasons

ala Brett Farve. I may retire, 90% retired, 70%-30% will play, I am a Bill, I may be a Texan, c'mon enough already. I am glad Nix said enoughs enough. You either want to be a Bill or you don't. If he goes on to play for another team then my opinion of him takes a serious hit.

Go ahead fire away!

I don't have any mixed feelings. I'm glad he's gonna go. It was crummy that he decided to play it the way he did.

It's also the Bills fault for him ever getting a contract like that.

I am more concerned about the precedent that the Bills have set than I am about Schobel! It's not like Wilson to roll over like this. So any overpaid senior Bill who wants out gets waived? I also smell collusion between Houston and Schobel.

It appears that Wilson wes more worried about the 2 million dollars than setting a dangerous precedent. This whole thing smells like a bad piece of fish to me.

Does anybody else have mixed feelings about Schoebel? I certainly do, I know I'll be crucified on this board for not kneeling to his holiness and kissing the gound he walks on BUT....If he goes on to play for another team my opinion of him will surely deteriorate. Why not help out your life long team when they need you? Why switch teams at this point of your career? Where's the loyalty? It would be like me changing into a Redskins fan becasue I live closer to DC than Buffalo, and it's too hard on my family to travel to Buffalo to see them play. He jerked us along for the past two seasons

ala Brett Farve. I may retire, 90% retired, 70%-30% will play, I am a Bill, I may be a Texan, c'mon enough already. I am glad Nix said enoughs enough. You either want to be a Bill or you don't. If he goes on to play for another team then my opinion of him takes a serious hit.

Go ahead fire away!

I agree - enough is enough. It was bad enough last year, but this year, when you have new coaches and a new scheme, and you are trying to establish a different attitude and focus for the team, you cannot afford to have one player putting himself above the rest and getting away with it. I do not think this was about money for the Bills, just time to move on and recognize you have some young players working their butts off for that position. I think Schobel's actions clearly indicate he was trying to force a move like this all along. Screw him.

At the end of the Schobel era what did we get? A guy that amassed a decent sack total.

It would be a challenge to determine 3 incredible memories from Schobel's career. He wasn't a game changer, he didn't elevate those around him, he was an aloof teammate on and off the field. Got paid elite money for being an underwhelming player.

He got along with the other players on the team that were ok with him not being a great teammate. Lunch pal guy, comes to work everyday, gives 110%, to me those are empty comments with no substance.

Go ahead fire away!

Not sure where you're getting this from. The guy was never a fan favourite, no matter how good he was (or wasn't). Think that has more to do with his ornery personality than anything.

At first, I was kind of pissed about how Nix couldn't get anything for him, but it's become clear he didn't really have much of a choice.

Honestly though, I don't think he will be missed all that much. Not sure where he stands in the all-time sacks list, but if they did an all-time meaningless sacks list, he'd be close to the top.

All he knew is how to lose. Get rid of Kelsay next, and I will consider this offseason a great success and a big step in the right direction.

We have to keep Kelsay around and see what he does at linebacker. Im guessing he will be a bit under average. He was deffenently a sub-par DE. I hear where your coming from but we have to give him a shot this year.

It would be a challenge to determine 3 incredible memories from Schobel's career. He wasn't a game changer, he didn't elevate those around him, he was an aloof teammate on and off the field. Got paid elite money for being an underwhelming player.

Here is one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7OAzUqlaHQ

I for one enjoyed watching Schobel at TCU and was glad he signed with the Bills. Solid player .. Phil Hansen type and had this been the Glory years.. his name would be remembered..

FWIW if he goes on and plays for Houston then good for him, however, if he signs with the dreaded Patsies and doesnt get the deal that he was asking for here, then no cheering for him what so ever.

Go ahead fire away!

Ah, forget about kneeling to make others happy (unless you are praying :D )

I'm a bit saddened because he was perhaps one of maybe, 3 or 4 draft picks made by the Bills in the past decade that actually became sensational at their position. He worked his arse off for us, and he got a big fat nothing to show for it. Now, I know he got paid. Yip-dee-doo. He never played in the playoffs and never tasted a Super Bowl.

So, I can't blame him for wanting out of yet another rebuilding effort (though methinks this one may be for real); since his whole career has been nothing but one rebuild after another.

And after 10 years of loyalty and sacrifice, I would want something to show for it. Atleast 1 or 2 playoff berths would have sufficed.

I'm greatly disappointed with the Bills and for us fans- because we deserve a player like him at every position. I wish we could have had something here with him on the team.

With that being said, I wish him the best and hope that he gets to taste the playoffs with whatever team he plays for next year. I'd be bummed for us if he went to New England. If he went to Houston I'd be happier for him (and could breath easier).

I wish him the best wherever he plays.

The thing that strikes me is the FACT he walked away from $8.3 million on his contract and had subsequent years beyond. That is NOT the prototype greedy athlete we've all come to expect. The lone bright spot, to me, is the issue played out without an appearance at camp, which would have made the situation even more bizarre!

Go ahead fire away!

You shouldn't be crucified at all for this post. I think it's spot on. I think Nix handled it as well as he could. I think Schobel comes out of this looking like a total doosh. If nothing else, I'm disappointed. But I'm over it.

Go Bills!

I am more concerned about the precedent that the Bills have set than I am about Schobel! It's not like Wilson to roll over like this. So any overpaid senior Bill who wants out gets waived? I also smell collusion between Houston and Schobel.

It appears that Wilson wes more worried about the 2 million dollars than setting a dangerous precedent. This whole thing smells like a bad piece of fish to me.

What did you think happened to older, overpaid players, who dont fit a new system and dont want to be here anymore?

What did you think happened to older, overpaid players, who dont fit a new system and dont want to be here anymore?

They renegotiate their contracts to a lower price and they get traded for fair compensation to teams that want them and situations that they want to be in. There is communication between the front office and the players agents. In this case if any of that was discussed it was hidden from the fans including season ticket holders who are stakeholders in this franchise.

I don't believe the Bills made any effort to communicate with Schobel or his agent. I know they certainly didn't communicate with the fans. I also note that the Bills did want Schobel and were more than willing to pay him eight million dollars to be here.

Does anybody else have mixed feelings about Schoebel? I certainly do,

I'm with you. I would have liked to see him give the new position a shot and think the team would be better, this year, with him. But that would be about it for him with the Bills, I think.

I don't like the way he went about getting his release. It's a sleazy way to deal with your longtime employer (who treated you extremely well). But since he chose that path there really is little else the Bills could do without also hurting the team, in the short term and the long run. (I assume they made some moves to trade him.)

I can tell you I won't root for Aaron the way I do for most Bills who leave more honorably.

That Schobel is still contemplating his future tells me he intended to retire, but got the urge to play late in the game. In essence, he was gone from the Bills when he announced his retirement. The thing is, the longer he waits to join the Texans, the more behind he is in their defense. And his focus has been the Texans, so the Bills never had any leverage in trading him, because they knew they just had to wait it out. The question is, is it too late for them as well?

Go ahead fire away!

I too have mixed feelings. I think we has a very good player and he often played with a poor cast. I can understand his wanting to play for a winning team and all that stuff. At the same time he was a very well paid for a long time and maybe he could have done more to help us win the a few games we needed to make the playoffs. He is the long standing member of the playoff drought og the 2000's. Not blaming him, just a fact.

He had a lot of sacks but lineman stats are not much use to me and really cannot be used to compare players from different eras. I would rank him high on the All Time Bills DE list but certainly behind players like Bruce Smith, Phil Hanson, Ron McDole and Ben Williams. He is not a Wall of Fame player IMO.

I wish him well and don't care were he plays anymore.

Go ahead fire away!

I think it sucked that he didn't care enough to keep his team informed of what he was going to do. And pretending he might wanna show up at training camp "oh I'll take a couple of weeks". What a lame-ass attitude. Like the guy has no people skills.

I expect more from a guy like that. Pretty lame the way he handled himself, IMO.

Losing Schobel doesn't really make me feel like the Bills will be any worse this coming season. Might as well get guys like Maybin and Ellis ready, instead of playing a guy who doesn't want to be here, and only wants to play one more year. No hard feelings...actually, no feelings at all! I never really thought of Schobel as an elite, or even great player...just a good player, who doesn't really impact a game much. I know he has had some decent sack numbers...but this team has finished over .500 once during his whole career in Buffalo... nobody is untouchable, on this team, as far as I am concerned. When they finally turn this program around, I have a feeling a lot of the guys we are cheering for today, as Bills, will be gone. Let it begin...

at the end of the day the guy is a jerk. He signed a contract for alot of money and decided no to honor that contract. At the end of last year he should have asked for a trade or release, but to play this game is classless. If he retires, I take it all back, but if he plays, he represents the worst of professional athletes.