Spiller's status is a signal to the fans.

Man, I thought Maybin was the problem last year when it took forever to get him signed. But now this Spiller deal really is aggravating. The guys on both sides of him have been signed. Just make the deal. It looks like Ralph is cheap. I don't think there is ample evidence to support that. He's cut big checks for dopes in the past (i.e., 49 million for Derrick Dockery, all the money to Schobel, Evans, the fact that our other draft choices are in the fold).

It makes me sick. The team has missed the playoffs forever, and they marched up to the podium in about 4 seconds flat to draft the guy....just sign him, get it done.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Man, I thought Maybin was the problem last year when it took forever to get him signed. But now this Spiller deal really is aggravating. The guys on both sides of him have been signed. Just make the deal. It looks like Ralph is cheap. I don't think there is ample evidence to support that. He's cut big checks for dopes in the past (i.e., 49 million for Derrick Dockery, all the money to Schobel, Evans, the fact that our other draft choices are in the fold).

It makes me sick. The team has missed the playoffs forever, and they marched up to the podium in about 4 seconds flat to draft the guy....just sign him, get it done.

I hate to say this, but this is all about being a pro team in Buffalo in 2010. Look at the pathetic decision the Sabres made to cut a hometown kid with grit and guts, because the arbitrators ruled in his favor by a measely 200 grand. Sure Wilson spends money every now and then, but since his buddy Marv bowed out of this circus after two years, tell me one big money splash Ralph has made with Russ Brandon, and now Buddy Nix in charge?

Both Golisano and Wilson have decided to bunker down and save as much money as they can moving forward, due to the overall nationwide recession, and of course the horrible economic situation in WNY. It seems that Golisano has basically given up on his hockey team, and Ralph Wilson is facing a lock out next year that will kill his bottom line if it happens.

Thus, we have the Sabres spending more money to dump Tim Kennedy and "buy out" his contract for $333,333.33 as opposed to just paying him an extra $200,000.00 above their offer and receive his best efforts this season. And, we have the Bills taking longer to figure out how much to pay the Number 9 overall pick then other teams took to pay the number 1 through 5, and number 7 and 8 picks. The only other first round draft pick not to sign is the number 6 pick - Okung for Seattle.

Just gotta love being Bills - Sabres fans, huh?? :lol::unsure::(

Oh by the way, I know Reiger turned around and signed a 27 year old proven defensemen UFA from the Caps. Morrissonn. He is widely considered a very good player, and we should applaud Darcy for bringing him in. But even with that positive move, they inexplicably only signed him for two years. At that age with his talent, how on earth do you not lock him up for 4 years, and not have to start worrying about tading him before the freakin' deadline just two years from now?????? :blink:

I am so tired of all the whining and misperceptions about the Bills being cheap.

When it comes to the Number One picks the dollar amounts are slotted in and the Bills have never underpaid any of their picks.

We are once again seeing an agent who hinted early that because Spiller was the first RB drafted that he should get something better than a #9 pick would get taking control. Mr. May-Be last year did the same thing ... the Bills did not under pay him.

And, if we look back historically, the Bills are in the middle of the pack getting the deal done and for many years were amongst the first team doing the deal.

The good news is that we have two very good running backs working out each day ... it will be interesting to hear what Buddy has to say if the deal isn't done soon ... might be very interesting.

Usually when the slots around the draft pick are signed, it's the contract years holding it up. Spiller's camp probably wants it to be 4-5 years. The Bills probably want 6 yrs.

Anyway, i'm really not worried. Seems like players around the league are dropping like fly's. As long as Spiller is not here, he's also not tweaking his kneee, spraining his ankle or pulling a hammy. A great RB can step in 2 weeks prior to the season and make a huge contribution. It's the easiest position to step in right away.

...it will be interesting to hear what Buddy has to say if the deal isn't done soon ... might be very interesting.

Great point! :blink:

The thing I like most about Buddy and Chan is that they both seem to be straight shooters, and don't hold back very much when asked direct questions. I too liked the comment by Nix that he will "have something to announce if Spiller is not signed in a few days or so." Hopefully he won't become too "old school" and threaten to get into a three point stance and take on Spillers' agent, as Bill Polian did back in the glory days (man, I miss Polians' temper, the guy was passionate, wasn't he?)

But as you say, whatever Buddy ends up saying, it will be fun to listen to!

The Bills, for the most part, are holding the chips here. If Spiller was a star offensive tackle, he and his agent could strong-arm the organization. Because of Freddie and Marshawn, there's not exactly a tremendous immediate need.

ahhh that's why we drafted Spiller, because we didn't really need him- if we had drafted an OT which we really needed then the guy would have had the ability to strong-arm us- and all this time I thought the Bills drafted the way that they do because they were morons, little did I realize they have a masterplan.

Sure Wilson spends money every now and then, but since his buddy Marv bowed out of this circus after two years, tell me one big money splash Ralph has made with Russ Brandon, and now Buddy Nix in charge?

Here you go: Russ and the Bills paid 6.5M to an overrated WR last season. The same WR has a 2M dollar contract this year with the Bengals...Ralph showed the money.

I think the ironic thing about the Spiller holdout is that after going to Bills training camp last Saturday, I came away with the impression that drafting Spiller was a BIG MISTAKE. The reason being is that we are LOADED at RB already. Have any of you watched Jacquie Bell practice? To me, he looks like a stud in the making. Marshawn looks powerful and motivated, and Freddie is already a stud back. Throw in McIntyre as a fullback/blocker/H-back, and Simpson as a scatback/kick returner and we are more than set at RB.

I honestly think the Bills believe that as well after a week of training camp. Our secondary and RB corp are top notch. So my thinking is that the Bills are not wowing Spiller's agent with a tremendous deal. (Sure it is between 8 and 10, but probably nowhere close to #8"s deal. If Spiller is not signed by the beginning of next week, what about the possibility of trading his rights to someone who has a very good OT prospect they are willing to part with. A team in need of an electric RB. We are in desperate need of OT's. Looking at this team right now, it sure looks like we should have taken the top OT on the board when we were drafting at #9. Anthony Davis while maybe not an automatic sure thing would have solved a much pressing need (if we could have signed him).

Buddy Nix is a toughguy. I think he is a pragmatist as well. (can't wait to hear what he says about Spiller if not signed this week) Would any of you be shocked if we tried to trade Spiller's rights if he is not signed shortly? Just some thoughts from a different bent on the subject.

I am so tired of all the whining and misperceptions about the Bills being cheap.

When it comes to the Number One picks the dollar amounts are slotted in and the Bills have never underpaid any of their picks.

We are once again seeing an agent who hinted early that because Spiller was the first RB drafted that he should get something better than a #9 pick would get taking control. Mr. May-Be last year did the same thing ... the Bills did not under pay him.

And, if we look back historically, the Bills are in the middle of the pack getting the deal done and for many years were amongst the first team doing the deal.

The good news is that we have two very good running backs working out each day ... it will be interesting to hear what Buddy has to say if the deal isn't done soon ... might be very interesting.

I agree. Most likely the contract negotiation sticking point is number of years as opposed to dollar amount....

ahhh that's why we drafted Spiller, because we didn't really need him- if we had drafted an OT which we really needed then the guy would have had the ability to strong-arm us- and all this time I thought the Bills drafted the way that they do because they were morons, little did I realize they have a masterplan.

:blink:

Whining again?

I hate to say this, but this is all about being a pro team in Buffalo in 2010. Look at the pathetic decision the Sabres made to cut a hometown kid with grit and guts, because the arbitrators ruled in his favor by a measely 200 grand. Sure Wilson spends money every now and then, but since his buddy Marv bowed out of this circus after two years, tell me one big money splash Ralph has made with Russ Brandon, and now Buddy Nix in charge?

Both Golisano and Wilson have decided to bunker down and save as much money as they can moving forward, due to the overall nationwide recession, and of course the horrible economic situation in WNY. It seems that Golisano has basically given up on his hockey team, and Ralph Wilson is facing a lock out next year that will kill his bottom line if it happens.

Thus, we have the Sabres spending more money to dump Tim Kennedy and "buy out" his contract for $333,333.33 as opposed to just paying him an extra $200,000.00 above their offer and receive his best efforts this season. And, we have the Bills taking longer to figure out how much to pay the Number 9 overall pick then other teams took to pay the number 1 through 5, and number 7 and 8 picks. The only other first round draft pick not to sign is the number 6 pick - Okung for Seattle.

Just gotta love being Bills - Sabres fans, huh?? :lol::unsure::(

Oh by the way, I know Reiger turned around and signed a 27 year old proven defensemen UFA from the Caps. Morrissonn. He is widely considered a very good player, and we should applaud Darcy for bringing him in. But even with that positive move, they inexplicably only signed him for two years. At that age with his talent, how on earth do you not lock him up for 4 years, and not have to start worrying about tading him before the freakin' deadline just two years from now?????? :blink:

Great point! :blink:

The thing I like most about Buddy and Chan is that they both seem to be straight shooters, and don't hold back very much when asked direct questions. I too liked the comment by Nix that he will "have something to announce if Spiller is not signed in a few days or so." Hopefully he won't become too "old school" and threaten to get into a three point stance and take on Spillers' agent, as Bill Polian did back in the glory days (man, I miss Polians' temper, the guy was passionate, wasn't he?)

But as you say, whatever Buddy ends up saying, it will be fun to listen to!

......and do....what?