Schobel says he's not coming back

yall

Too bad, as Schobel had a decent year last year.

But I really don't see anything in his remarks that suggest he wants to play somewhere else. Where is that coming from?

Schobel is contemplating retirement, he sold his house in Buffalo and wants his family to stay in Houston, obviously that is screaming he wants to be traded

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Too bad, as Schobel had a decent year last year.

But I really don't see anything in his remarks that suggest he wants to play somewhere else. Where is that coming from?

I'm with you on that. I think it is the general negativity surrounding most disingenuous athletes that makes people look for ulterior motives. I'm not getting that from him. I think this was a heads up from a decent guy who's been saying for months that he's considering retirement that while he's not ready to make it official, his employer should probably move on, and if they do he's ready to accept the consequences. If he's true to his word, he's not looking to play elsewhere.

Thing is, if he was looking to play elsewhere it would benefit him to say so, cuz he's more value to the team disgruntled and tradeable than retired.

We have known for some time now Schobel has wanted a trade to be closer to home. We didnt make a move in the draft which would have prob been best case for both parties. He doesnt really fit in the 34 either. Now I think we really need to get what we can in a trade and thank Schobel for being a great Bill and being a true professional in all this. He shouldn't retire and IMO we should honor his wish to play else where.

Thanks Aaron and best of lukc to you else where... maybe even play a playoff game!

Being 32 years old at a speed position gives you limited options - if you are on the fence about spending time with your family (after you have presumably made enough money playing pro football). That is where we are at...and if another team wanted him, do you think the Bills would make it hard on Schobel to leave? Did they make it hard for Thurman to leave when he went to Miami in 2000?

Would it ever be possible for a player to just speak English and not vague mumbo jumbo?

Schobel is hurting the team and depleting his trade value. Why couldn't he have been above board and talked about this before now?

A player that supports his current team to the best of his abilities is doing himself a favor. Good luck Aaron. You were good but not great.

?? Really?? He's stated since last season that he's contemplating retirement, and has alluded to it since he got hurt in '08.

Schobel was a good Bills player, but if he is somehow at camp this year and doesn't perform, he will get cut just like some other players from last year.

?? Really?? He's stated since last season that he's contemplating retirement, and has alluded to it since he got hurt in '08.

transient-

contemplating and doing are mutually exclusive- why can't he commit?

transient-

contemplating and doing are mutually exclusive- why can't he commit?

My point was that he hasn't exactly kept his thoughts on retirement a secret for the last two years, so to suggest his announcement today is somehow surprising is misguided. Also, it's not as though the Bills haven't been acquiring LBs to fill out the roster. Taking his time, as he said he would, has in no way hurt the team. There's no telling if he would even succeed in the 3-4. None of this is surprising. Also, the protestation of fans suggesting that taking his time to consider all the ramifications of making a life altering decision to retire is somehow inconsiderate and should be done to meet their arbitrarily imposed timeframe is ludicrous. There are 60 and 70 year olds that struggle with this decision. He's telling management where he's at in the process, and that's all you can ask of him. He's even stated he understands if they need to move on before he makes any final decision. What more do you feel you or the Bills are owed? He owes it to himself to make sure he is comfortable with whatever decision he makes.

"At this point I don't think I'm going to play," Schobel told The Buffalo News on Thursday. "I'm not ready to say I'm retiring but it's in the Bills' hands."

Sounds like Aaron wants to be traded without publically forcing a trade.

At this point, who cares? See if you can trade him to a team close to his home (Dallas, Houston, KC or Tenn.

If not release him and let him do what he wants. He is a decent guy and has done enough for the team that he deserves some respect. Let him play elsewhere if he wants to.

Yeah, that's my feeling. It's not as if we're going to be decent this year anyway, nor does he really fit this defensive scheme.

Good luck to him.

My point was that he hasn't exactly kept his thoughts on retirement a secret for the last two years, so to suggest his announcement today is somehow surprising is misguided. Also, it's not as though the Bills haven't been acquiring LBs to fill out the roster. Taking his time, as he said he would, has in no way hurt the team. There's no telling if he would even succeed in the 3-4. None of this is surprising. Also, the protestation of fans suggesting that taking his time to consider all the ramifications of making a life altering decision to retire is somehow inconsiderate and should be done to meet their arbitrarily imposed timeframe is ludicrous. There are 60 and 70 year olds that struggle with this decision. He's telling management where he's at in the process, and that's all you can ask of him. He's even stated he understands if they need to move on before he makes any final decision. What more do you feel you or the Bills are owed? He owes it to himself to make sure he is comfortable with whatever decision he makes.

I'm with you, Transient. This isn't surprising, and it's not unreasonable either.

Now Schobel says, "the only team that I'd consider going to, is the Houston Texans." I think this was his intention the entire time - get the Bills to release him, so that they'd eat his signing bonus money, while at the same time, giving him all options if/when he decides to play. He's done with the Bills, but isn't done with football and wants to make his own career decisions that don't include the word, "retirement". Sorry Schobel, but if you're done with the Bills, you're done with football (unless the Bills are willing to oblige and trade you to Houston).

"There is only one place that I would even consider going to and that's Houston because it's so close to home and I know the defense and I know Bill [Kollar, the Texans' defensive line coach who held the same job in Buffalo]," Schobel said. "But I don't even know if I'd play in Houston at this point. I really wanted to finish my career in Buffalo."

Schobel Appears Through With Bills

The way I see it -- Schobel wants no part of Buffalo's rebuilding project. I bet he still wants to play -- in Houston -- which is why he doesn't want to announce his retirement (wouldn't Buffalo own his rights if he retires) and is hoping to be flat-out released (which Buffalo doesn't want to do and get nothing for him). I don't think Buffalo could trade him b/c Houston wouldn't want that contract on top of what Williams is making.

In the end -- Schobel was a good player for the Bills -- but I'm not sure he is a fit for our Defense any longer anyways. I say good riddance to him and let's move on with what we've got.

note: there are provisions to Schobel's $2 million bonus that are tied to playing time and/or showing up. he can't merely pass his physical and they hand him a check.

jw

I stand corrected.

The article I read stated he needed to pass a physical to collect his bonus, nothing more.

The article did not mention there were other requirements tied to the bonus.

The article reinforced this position by stating the previous year, AS initially failed his physical, and that failure caused a delay in AS receiving the bonus.

Screw Schobel. The guy is a selfish prick who is not a good team mate. Way to screw over the franchise you have been with for your entire career. We have a new staff. A new DC coordinator. Our entire defense is in flux shifting to the 3-4. People are playing new positions and this jack ass says he will "let us know" in September!?!?!??!?!

What a douche bag. How about you make up your freakin mind and make a commitment one way or another so the TEAM can plan on you being there, being in shape and being FAMILIAR WITH THE DEFENSE. If you don't want to play you should have said something before the draft so that that could be taken into consideration when we made our picks and looked at free agents.

I have no idea why this guy gets a free pass from everyone. Some thought Peters was undeserving up his pro bowl appearances but Schobel was pro bowl material and deserved it? What a joke. Some have complained that Lynch is ruining his career and is selfish and dumb for not attending voluntary work outs. Schobel has been the BIGGEST offender on the team FOR YEARS yet he is not thought of in a negative light.

Hrmmm, now that I think of it I might finally get why Schobel gets a pass <_<

At this point, assuming he doesn't show up and the Bills don't trade or release him, how does this play out? Isn't there a "list" for this situation, like a reserved/did not show up list where he doesn't count against the 53 man roster but is still under contract to the team? How does or will he be paid in this limbo state? I'm trying to remember other situations like this, but I can't think of any. Usually the player retires (like Butler) or there is a cut/trade.

note: there are provisions to Schobel's $2 million bonus that are tied to playing time and/or showing up. he can't merely pass his physical and they hand him a check.

jw

How could a roster bonus like that in March be tied to playing time? He gets it in installments?