Schobel says he's not coming back

yall

For close to 10 million dollars, in a heartbeat. Of course i will never see that kind of money in my life time, so maybe that is playing into my head a little/a lot.

Back in March, he was due a roster bonus. All he needs to do is show up, pass a physical, and collect $2 million.

He has yet to do it, stating that he was not stressing about money.

If he's not motivated to take a physical to collect an easy $2m ...

IMO, I think the competitor in him wants to continue, but he realizes his heart is no longer into it.

He wants the Bills to make the decision easier or for him. He has stated he does not want to play for another team.

Assuming he has not changed his mind, if the Bills trade or release him, he would file his retirement papers.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Back in March, he was due a roster bonus. All he needs to do is show up, pass a physical, and collect $2 million.

He has yet to do it, stating that he was not stressing about money.

If he's not motivated to take a physical to collect an easy $2m ...

IMO, I think the competitor in him wants to continue, but he realizes his heart is no longer into it.

He wants the Bills to make the decision easier or for him. He has stated he does not want to play for another team.

Assuming he has not changed his mind, if the Bills trade or release him, he would file his retirement papers.

but, cynical, what's the part about it being in the bill's hands all about? they pretty clearly want him there.

but, cynical, what's the part about it being in the bill's hands all about? they pretty clearly want him there.

Sorry, I thought it was pretty clear.

By saying he's not coming back, and assuming he keeps his word (either he plays for Buffalo or does not play), he's attempting to force the Bills to make his retirement decision for him.

Sorry, I thought it was pretty clear.

By saying he's not coming back, and assuming he keeps his word (either he plays for Buffalo or does not play), he's attempting to force the Bills to make his retirement decision for him.

is there some benefit to doing that? besides some sort of ego/pride -- is there financial implications with say a signing bonus etc... depending on how this plays out?

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2010/06/10/s...n-not-til-sept/

Sorry Schobel, but you're not Bruce Smith, even though Bruce used to pull the same antics (getting his knee scoped to avoid training camp). If Schobel thinks the Bills are going to wait all the way until September for him, then he's crazy. Schobel will have to transition from DE to OLB and he thinks he's just gonna avoid all the OTA's, mini-camps, training camps and pre-season games and just come in and know the new defensive system and know how to play as an OLB? Go ahead and retire now Schobel. :worthy:

is there some benefit to doing that? besides some sort of ego/pride -- is there financial implications with say a signing bonus etc... depending on how this plays out?

that was what i was wondering as well. i don't follow the contract issues very closely, so i have no clue. if, as was suggested he passed up on a $2mill roster bonus, you'd wonder how going out like this benefits him (pension? health care? retirement?).

i suppose it could be as simple as cynical has suggested, a manifestation of his subconscious desire to transfer the stress of such an important decision to a third party----i guess we'll see. i still think it's odd as balls on a catfish.

If anybody is really shocked then I question their grasp on reality- this was pretty obvious months ago- while Schobel's smarter and more media savvy than Peters his goals are probably about the same- money, playing for a team that has a shot, and in Schobel's case staying close to family and setting himself up for life after football- Schobel's a pretty good football player but outside of Buffalo he's pretty much an unknown- but a couple good seasons with say Houston and at least he'd have some local recognition for any type businesses he has.

IMO this says if you really, really need me to and can talk me in to it, I'll consider coming back. If not, I'm retiring,

Actually, it says...."if you trade me to a contender near Texas, I'll play...if you don't, I'll retire."

Lets see the Cowgurls play a 3-4 D. Under Wade he would have to learn a new position.

The Texans play a 3-4 as well.

well that leaves out Texas...

I think he is retired. He made some good money leave the game as healthy as you can.

True,

however just about anywhere is nearer to Texas than Buffalo.

How much does Schobel think in terms of relativity?

Too bad he can't take three-quarters of TSW with him...

What? You want to get rid of all this high motor TSW talent? We're in a transition here and I seriously doubt you could find enough free agents to improve the 75% loss of us.......well I suppose I should ask do you work at a school, or a farm?

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/billboard/201...nt-be-back.html

"Buffalo Bills defensive end Aaron Schobel says he's not returning to the team but stopped short of announcing his retirement. "

Leave the door open and let him retire. If he doesn't show, he won't get paid. Not that I care, but the Bills can probably pursue some of his signing bonus money at that point. If he is true to his word and just doesn't want to play anymore, it will play out fine.

If he just wants to be released so he can sign with a contender or team closer to his home(before the season or during it), then that shouldn't be allowed to happen. And I definitely wouldn't deal him for a fifth round pick. I'm not being spiteful, it's just that the organization needs to stop letting players under their control dictate terms to them.

The BS started when Levy arrived. A lot of naiive posters here thought that the Bills willingness to honor players wishes would make the team more appealing to free agents and a happier place to play. Wrong. Money and winning are the motivators. The Bills don't win, and if you are under contract, the best way to get a new contract is to get traded. The Bills showed they would give in to player demands, now they need to change that perception. Even if, GOD FORBID, it costs them a chance at an extra mid-round pick in 2011.

What? You want to get rid of all this high motor TSW talent? We're in a transition here and I seriously doubt you could find enough free agents to improve the 75% loss of us.......well I suppose I should ask do you work at a school, or a farm?

Out with the DOOOOMED in with the doomed.

He's had a solid career, but when your best players are people like him you don't qualify for the playoffs.

Well put. He's a quality player and puts up very good sack totals, but he doesn't make anyone around him play appreciably better. When your best players are weird and uninspiring it shouldn't be surprising when your team just seems to lack the intangibles needed to be a winner.

Too bad, as Schobel had a decent year last year.

But I really don't see anything in his remarks that suggest he wants to play somewhere else. Where is that coming from?

Lets see the Cowgurls play a 3-4 D. Under Wade he would have to learn a new position.

The Texans play a 3-4 as well.

well that leaves out Texas...

I think he is retired. He made some good money leave the game as healthy as you can.

The Texans do not play a 3-4 defense.

From what I was reading, he is tired of playing for new coaching staffs and wants to be close to his family. He says to play, he wants time off during the week to go back home to be with his family and the new coaching staff doesn't really want to do that.

He never said he wants to be traded, it just seems like he has lost his passion for the game and doesn't want to make the decision to retire. He wants someone/something to determine it for him, i.e. the Bills telling him he isn't needed and can retire.