NFL Execs expect Gathier trade

B- would you rather have anthony Davis or Brian bulaga, each of whom have proved nothing and both have pretty significant "cons", AND cost us a 1st round pick. Or you could have an established LT that we KNOW can play pro bowl caliber ball, meanwhile costing us a 2nd round pick? Hmmmmm.....

If we pull off a deal for Gaither then suddenly the Bills o-line goes from the teams biggest weakness to one of the teams biggest strengths with Gaither, Wood and Levitre all having Pro-Bowl potential and Hangartner being a solid center. The only question mark would be RT but I'd be happy to let Bell, Meredith, Green, and Wang compete for the starting spot. How people could complain about this is beyond me.

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we pull off a deal for Gaither then suddenly the Bills o-line goes from the teams biggest weakness to one of the teams biggest strengths with Gaither, Wood and Levitre all having Pro-Bowl potential and Hangartner being a solid center. The only question mark would be RT but I'd be happy to let Bell, Meredith, Green, and Wang compete for the starting spot. How people could complain about this is beyond me.

I agree. If we are solid at 4 out of 5 positions, we should do very well this season on O. On D, unless Troup turns out to be a major bust, we should be way better than last year. I know other teams in our division have also made advances, but if we land Gaither, I will truly feel very optimistic about a playoff appearance this season.

I agree. If we are solid at 4 out of 5 positions, we should do very well this season on O. On D, unless Troup turns out to be a major bust, we should be way better than last year. I know other teams in our division have also made advances, but if we land Gaither, I will truly feel very optimistic about a playoff appearance this season.

I'd be excited about adding Gaither, but I don't think I could be as hopeful about playoff potential. LT was only one of the key pieces needed to fill out this team. QB is the other huge hole at the moment, but we're also counting on a lot of youth and players transitioning to new positions on top of a whole new coaching staff with new offensive and defensive schemes.

Can Edwards or Brohm make the leap to become solid QB's capable of leading a team to the playoffs? Will Wood be ready to start and be capable of picking up where he left off? Will the question marks about Gaither's work ethic be answered in a positive way, especially after getting paid? What's up with Schobel? Can Maybin and two late draft picks transition to LB? Can we count on a rookie DT and DE, both from small schools, to quickly make the jump to NFL level play and solidify a brand new DL rotation? Is the coaching staff good enough to whip a team in chaos into shape quickly enough to keep playoff hopes alive?

These are A LOT of big questions to answer. Adding Gaither fills a big hole and if it happens it's a big step forward; I just don't think this team is playoff ready after one off-season no matter how good the moves are.

They want Oher at LT and move one of the back-ups to RT so they don't have to pay Gathier top LT money.

That is why imo, we can get him for a 2.

I hope we don't give up a 2 for him. Would love to see a swap, Gaither for Lynch but that is unlikely.

Maybe we can get Gaither for a 3? The Ravens want something for him, if they don't make a deal this off season then next season anyone can sign him and they get nothing. Time is on our side.

I'd be excited about adding Gaither, but I don't think I could be as hopeful about playoff potential. LT was only one of the key pieces needed to fill out this team. QB is the other huge hole at the moment, but we're also counting on a lot of youth and players transitioning to new positions on top of a whole new coaching staff with new offensive and defensive schemes.

Can Edwards or Brohm make the leap to become solid QB's capable of leading a team to the playoffs? Will Wood be ready to start and be capable of picking up where he left off? Will the question marks about Gaither's work ethic be answered in a positive way, especially after getting paid? What's up with Schobel? Can Maybin and two late draft picks transition to LB? Can we count on a rookie DT and DE, both from small schools, to quickly make the jump to NFL level play and solidify a brand new DL rotation? Is the coaching staff good enough to whip a team in chaos into shape quickly enough to keep playoff hopes alive?

These are A LOT of big questions to answer. Adding Gaither fills a big hole and if it happens it's a big step forward; I just don't think this team is playoff ready after one off-season no matter how good the moves are.

True lots of question and still lots of building to do but Gaither fills a huge hole and will help who ever is the QB. We are going to get younger on defense and the new 3-4 will take time.

If we get a legitimate LT then next draft we can focus on QB and other needs key needs.

Kaz says:

May 7, 2010 1:36 PM

NOW the Bills want to upgrade their needs? Should of handled this during the draft instead of taking luxury picks at a position they were stacked at.

Couldn't have said it better myself. And dont give me that "BPA" line here, because I simply dont believe that

A - Spiller would qualify as BPA, and

B- Anyone but RW made the selection.

Who did you have rated higher than Spiller that was available to Buffalo?

Also, if the Bills landed Gaither before the draft for a (estimated) second round pick in 2011, and then had the draft they had, people would be screaming about what a genius Buddy Nix is. JMO

I remember many Levy apologists in here say that the Bills had to take Lil Donte at #8 because the Ravens were getting ready to draft him over Ngata. I also remember a Lil Donte apologist provided a link that said he was the 9th-best safety in the league. So I see no reason why the Bills can't trade Lil Donte for Gaither straight up, or even get an additional pick from the Ravens. :thumbsup:

I remember many Levy apologists in here say that the Bills had to take Lil Donte at #8 because the Ravens were getting ready to draft him over Ngata. I also remember a Lil Donte apologist provided a link that said he was the 9th-best safety in the league. So I see no reason why the Bills can't trade Lil Donte for Gaither straight up, or even get an additional pick from the Ravens. :thumbsup:

Ironic to your post,

Ed Reed is coming off hip flexor surgery and has been injury prone of late. If a trade does happen, don't be surprised to see Whitner involed.

the front page of espn.com says this but the link is busted and I dont' have an Insider deal anyway:

# Rumors: Bills could target LT besides Gaither Insider

The Bills don't have too much leverage…they did with left tackle what Buddy said he didn't want to do at quarterback…come out of the draft without one. So teams can assume the Bills are "a little" desperate. But the Bills also played this interestingly. Most of the tackle-needy teams came out of the draft with a tackle. As a result, there's not too much competition for the proven tackles left on the market.

Here are the Bills' leverages:

Jamaal Brown, Saints 2-time Pro Bowl tackle also on the trade block.

Flozell Adams, multi-Pro Bowl tackle available as a free agent

Ed Wang, 5th round pick

Bills leverage/Hurting the Ravens:

Jarod Gaither is in the last year of his contract. He could possibly walk away after this year with no compensation to the Ravens.

So IMO there's enough motivation for both teams and outside market factors for the deal to get done. As I said, if Gaither signs his RFA tender, there's a good chance he'll be sent to the Bills shortly afterwards.

Keep in mind, that the word 'expect and 'most likely' make it very suspect. It could be that the Bills have said, "This is what we'll give" and no other team has topped that at this point. I don't see the Bills giving up a lot of drat picks for a guy with motivational issues.

a 2nd is too much. nothing higher then a 3rd. id rather see marshawn and a 6th sent their way to be honest.

The cost of the pick is irrelevant. I mean, a 2nd rounder for a good LT, who doesn't make that trade?

What will really be costly is the contract. The Bills have to be sure this guy has the talent and motivation to be good because he's going to get a big contract and the Bills only have so many big contracts we can hand out. We're not the Cowboys or Redskins in terms of seemingly unlimited money.

Ironic to your post,

Ed Reed is coming off hip flexor surgery and has been injury prone of late. If a trade does happen, don't be surprised to see Whitner involed.

Reed is coming back and the Ravens REAL need is at CB...While I'd like to see Lil' Donte in this package as much as the next guy I think Youboty or even McGee makes a lot more sense...In fact I would not be surprised at all to see it end up being McGee for Gathier straight up...The Ravens REALLY need Vet help at CB...I've yet to hear McGee's name come up at all...But to me that's what makes the most sense for the Ravens at this point...They're trying to win a Super Bowl...They need a Vet CB in a HUGE way... :thumbsup:

If Buffalo trades for Gaither, we shore up our two weakest positions on the line. Gaither comes in at LT and move Bell over to RT where he can compete with Meredith and Green, both of whom would be fine on the right side. Our line would then be Gaither-Levitre-Hangartner-Wood-Bell/Meredith. That's a line that goes from slightly below average across the board to above-average across the board. The LT and RT position is what is hurting this team. They are solid in the middle. Gaither immediately upgrades that hole at T, assuming he can stay healthy, which is the primary issue I have with the guy.

People who are whining about giving up a second round pick next year, I pose you this question. You are probably the type of person who stated that Buffalo HAD to take a QB and LT in this draft, both in the first two rounds, for the team to start getting better. They didn't do that and you railed. So, how is it that now, all of a sudden trading next year's second round pick, no matter what pick number it would be, for a top 5 tackle is suddenly such a horrible thing?

Next year, you'll be saying the same thing. We need a QB and Tackle in the first two rounds. If we can get an LT now with that second round pick, they fulfill that need now, with a very young and talented player. What's not to like about that deal? You can still hope they take Jake Locker, Andrew Luck, or God forbid, Ryan Mallett next year in the first round. What's the big problem with using a second rounder to get a first round talent?

Folks at BillsZone are saying they heard Pat Kirwin report on Sirius NFL Radio that the deal is all but done: a 2nd in 2011 plus Yobouty. Supposedly the Bills are trying to extend Gaither now.

PTR

Folks at BillsZone are saying they heard Pat Kirwin report on Sirius NFL Radio that the deal is all but done: a 2nd in 2011 plus Yobouty. Supposedly the Bills are trying to extend Gaither now.

PTR

:thumbsup:

PTR

Bless you, my good man (or robot), bless you--you've made me cry tears of joy if this is true!

Actually, that Pat Kirwan link you gave makes perfect sense. The Ravens have desperate needs for help at the CB and S positions given Ed Reed's shaky health status. The ravens would very likley be willing to make such a deal considering that Oher looks to be a sufficient answer for them at LT. Such a deal seems very likely. I would expect that Buffalo has been working on this since before the draft, which is why we didn't feel the need to take a tackle in the first three rounds. Figure on a five or six year thirty five or forty mil deal to get the job done, with about 19 mil guaranteed. Just a hunch but that would be about in the right ball park for the average starting LT in the NFL salarywise.

Schefter just tweeted rumors of a deal being done are not true.

To quote our friend Han Solo...

"I got a bad feeling about this"

I'm starting to think this deal wont happen at all. It would be par for the course to get us all excited only to have it go by the wayside.

I trust Schefter waaaaaaaaaaaay more than that no name website that keeps trying to drive traffic to their site by claiming that a deal is done. I dont think its going to happen folks.

http://thebillsbeat.com/Buffalo_Bills_News...aspx?article=40

for what it is worth....this link claims it is a done deal

If this is true, it shows that Nix is a genius. You have to believe that this was something the teams were working on before the draft, and that Nix drafted defense primarily this year, knowing that he was very likely going to make a deal for Gaither. Explains why they didn't need to get a tackle in the first three or four rounds. This seals our biggest hole on offense, making the line go from mediocre at best to above average across the board in run and pass protection. This move makes Buffalo far more competitive offensively, even with TE or BB at the QB position. Gailey has done more with less than what we have if the line can be solidified.

Great deal, and fills a big need with a future second round pick that likely would have been used to get a tackle that likely didn't have the talent of Gaither.

I am not going to jump for joy just yet......but if this does happen then I dont see how anyone could complain about what the bills have done this offseason.......

- NOBODY was of gaithers caliber in the 2nd round of this draft.....and probably not of next years draft either......certainly no experienced bonafied left tackles.........

- The Spiller pick looks really good because the bills would have not only solidified their line with the trade.....but got some pretty darn good players as backups out of this draft.....Wang and Calloway are good players......then they used that 1st round pick on a scoring threat in both the running and passing game......and you feel a lot better about the competition at RT which I fully expect our Meradith to win.

- They got the players they needed to run thier 3-4 defense.........

- Who knows how the QB's we have right now would look with a better line in front of them.

Nix is impressing me even if this doesn't happen because I am seeing the plan......this group of front office people understand the need to stock the OL and DL and they have shown that......

To quote our friend Han Solo...

"I got a bad feeling about this"

I'm starting to think this deal wont happen at all. It would be par for the course to get us all excited only to have it go by the wayside.

I trust Schefter waaaaaaaaaaaay more than that no name website that keeps trying to drive traffic to their site by claiming that a deal is done. I dont think its going to happen folks.

Is a deal being "done" and a deal being "agreed to in principle" different? If so, this could account for Schefter saying the deal is not "done".

Jared Gaither-T- Ravens May. 8 - 11:58 am et

Updating a previous item, Ravens RT Jared Gaither was reportedly undergoing treatment at the team's facility Saturday morning.

This report is less than convincing. According to the two major beat reporters that cover the team, Gaither did not get injured yesterday. He's had a tumultuous offseason, and his absence is more likely a sign that he's miffed about the way he's been treated by the Ravens.

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Updating a previous item, Ravens RT Jared Gaither was reportedly undergoing treatment at the team's facility Saturday morning.

This report is less than convincing. According to the two major beat reporters that cover the team, Gaither did not get injured yesterday. He's had a tumultuous offseason, and his absence is more likely a sign that he's miffed about the way he's been treated by the Ravens.

or, that he doesnt want to get hurt before his contract extension is signed with the Bills? :thumbsup:

Is a deal being "done" and a deal being "agreed to in principle" different? If so, this could account for Schefter saying the deal is not "done".

Yes they are different. Agreements in principle means the teams have struck an agreement but that there are conditions that have to be met before the deal becomes final. I'm assuming that one of those conditions is the Bills and Gaither coming to an agreement on the terms of a contract extension that will satisfy both parties. If that can be done, I believe the deal will be done as well.

or, that he doesnt want to get hurt before his contract extension is signed with the Bills? :thumbsup:

Sig has a more convincing connecting of the dots than Schefter. Actually, if you read the stories on this, Gaither is saying all the right things and not complained at all about the switch to right tackle. He was also highly complimentary of Oher. The switch to right tackle would hypothetically cost Gaither a lot of money as left tackles make more than right tackles. But he sits there and says all the right things…IMO because he knows that he won't be in Baltimore for much longer.

I agree with Sig that it's more likely a case of Gaither knows he's being traded and all parties have agreed that he should not risk injury at this time. I doubt Schefter's take that Gaither is miffed.

Again as I said earlier, he has to sign his RFA tender before being traded.

If this is true, it shows that Nix is a genius. You have to believe that this was something the teams were working on before the draft, and that Nix drafted defense primarily this year, knowing that he was very likely going to make a deal for Gaither. Explains why they didn't need to get a tackle in the first three or four rounds. This seals our biggest hole on offense, making the line go from mediocre at best to above average across the board in run and pass protection. This move makes Buffalo far more competitive offensively, even with TE or BB at the QB position. Gailey has done more with less than what we have if the line can be solidified.

Great deal, and fills a big need with a future second round pick that likely would have been used to get a tackle that likely didn't have the talent of Gaither.

I am not sure I would say genious but I would say he has a plan ansd he won't rush unless the deal is right.

As far as LT goes, prior to the draft I think the Bills felt they were deeper at LT with Bell and Meridith than they were at NT. If you think about it without Troup and Carrington we have no rotation at NT and very little depth at DE. We just are not sure how the holdovers will play in the 3-4.

Now if we can get Gaither to shore up the OL I think we will all have to agree that this off season has been a step in the right direction. :thumbsup:

http://thebillsbeat.com/Buffalo_Bills_News...aspx?article=40

for what it is worth....this link claims it is a done deal

especially when that link claims the bills and ravens have agreed in "principal."

also, all that i see on shefter's twitter is that the deal is not done per the terms speculated.

and then there's this: http://twitter.com/PatrickMoranBSD/status/13623947268