Bills, Bears headline eight teams headed for trouble in 2010

Feels good to win something!

Can't really argue. We are just going to have to see (a) how much of an upgrade Gailey is from Jauron and (b) how much that upgrade can improve the team without a significant player personnel change.

Although, I'll say that I roll my eyes at the constant singing of the Jets' praises. They have a very, very good team. But signing an inconsistent, one-good-year CB (Cromartie), an injured, declining RB (Tomlinson) and an already-suspended, headache WR (Holmes) doesn't really impress me very much. Considering they cut ties with TJ and Leon Washington...I wonder if the net was positive at all.

More like "Mired in trouble for the 2000's". I'm almost always Mr. Optimism when it comes to the Bills (I supported Rob Johnson!) but this season looks like it'll be very tough to watch.

Hey with New Orleans and Pittsburgh on the list we're in good company. National writers are overly impressed with "name" signings and are agog with Jets and Phins. I think they will be surprised this year. The writer did like Chan however.

More like "Mired in trouble for the 2000's". I'm almost always Mr. Optimism when it comes to the Bills (I supported Rob Johnson!) but this season looks like it'll be very tough to watch.

Muggins -- No shame in that. I still have a "Bills Football" T-shirt that has "Johnson - 11" on the back. I wanted to throw it out but my friends make me wear it because I supported RJ over Flutie back in the 90's. I get sympathetic looks when I wear it to the gym.

Don Banks is the kind of writer, IMO, who looks at the transactions lists for teams and if recognizes names added off the bat it's good and if he recognizes names that have been let go off the bat it's bad. No further analysis needed.

Me thinks Don is a little more informed than that...

If you are old enough to remember the late 80's then you know the "experts" picked the Bills dead last right before we exploded into our Super Bowl run. Small school players like Andre Reed impressed no one. Thurman Thomas was an injury-prone back who fell in the draft. Kelly was hot crap in the USFL but unproven in the NFL. The point is none of these guys have crystal balls. They report the obvious. But they are wrong a lot more than they are right. You'll see. The Bills are going to be a lot better than folks expect. They weren't 0-16 the last ten years. A few key players and coach with a pair (unlike Dickless Jauron) will make the difference

PTR

This is one of the worst-thought out articles I've read. He puts Buffalo on the list, but ignores Detroit, St. Louis, Cleveland --- C'mon. I'm surprised this idiot doesn't work for ESPN. Other posters are right on -- it's all about what players-that-I've heard of signed with who this year for him. Forget about the bloated contracts or past-their prime abilities (LT).

This is one of the worst-thought out articles I've read. He puts Buffalo on the list, but ignores Detroit, St. Louis, Cleveland --- C'mon. I'm surprised this idiot doesn't work for ESPN. Other posters are right on -- it's all about what players-that-I've heard of signed with who this year for him. Forget about the bloated contracts or past-their prime abilities (LT).

A team that has cronic problems with scoring (that in 2009 had 12 games with 20 or less points) drafts a player #1 with the potential to take it to the house each and every time he touches the ball is guilty of making a luxury pick? Sure there are other areas of need too but a luxury? The term is overused and inappropriate....

Don Banks is the kind of writer, IMO, who looks at the transactions lists for teams and if recognizes names added off the bat it's good and if he recognizes names that have been let go off the bat it's bad. No further analysis needed.

That's what most of these guys do. Seems about par for the course. Interesting that when touted acquisitions like Adalius Thomas don't pan out, the same writers who slammed us for not getting them ignore the issue entirely.

To Don, I say, "Don, how can we be worse than last year? I know that the AFC East is a little stronger, but we lost most of those games last year anyway. Where we have improved - in case you haven't noticed - is in our front office and coaching. No group of fools could do worse than Brandon and Jauron. We still have the same starters, with the exception of Woods and TOOL, and we've added some intere4sting FAs and draft picks. Surely, our injuries won't be as severe. Our defense is entirely different and should be stronger. Our offense will not be great, but we have one new weapon and much better coaching. Will this not result in some small improvement? So, I say, Don, why are we in trouble?"

These type of articles always kill me. We're still two months away from training camp, and they are dooming and glooming.

I'll bet at least 3 teams on this list make the playoffs this year and have what will be considered a successful season.

:thumbsup: EXACTLY ... Banks has a history of not impressing and being wrong.

It's just like all of those who are condemning the draft because Claussen and McCoy are not ours.

Frankly, I can't remember many teams who magically transformed themselves based on off-season free agent signings.

That being said, we need to hope that Chan can work his magic with one of our four quarterbacks and that the O-Line returns to good health (remember that unit actually appeared to be decent in the first game before the injuries started).

Accepting the opinions of the Banks and Kipers of this world is something I am not willing to do because their past track record doesn't show me anything.

What did Banks say in 2009 about the upcoming season? Was he right or wrong?

Although, I'll say that I roll my eyes at the constant singing of the Jets' praises. They have a very, very good team. But signing an inconsistent, one-good-year CB (Cromartie), an injured, declining RB (Tomlinson) and an already-suspended, headache WR (Holmes) doesn't really impress me very much. Considering they cut ties with TJ and Leon Washington...I wonder if the net was positive at all.

The defense of New England seems pretty comical too. 5 of the first 90 picks in the draft? Thanks. It really seems like he's grasping for straws on that one. They may be good players, but it really doesn't sound like one of those "look out, they're getting better" type moves to me.

A team that has cronic problems with scoring (that in 2009 had 12 games with 20 or less points) drafts a player #1 with the potential to take it to the house each and every time he touches the ball is guilty of making a luxury pick? Sure there are other areas of need too but a luxury? The term is overused and inappropriate....

Especially considering Spiller can work the slot and help w/ the receiving corps which is also an area of need. I'm not sure the author has ever heard of Percy Harvin.

Who gives a ****!!!...How much do these idiots make to state the obvious?! YES, we know that the Buffalo Bills are not good! We've known this for the better part of ten years now. And second of all, why the hell would you post something like this on this wall? We know our team is bad. Thanks for nothing SI and yourself. And for the rest of you making cracks like, "Well, at least we're number one at SOMETHING!". Is this really funny to you people? Is it funny when you tell someone you're a Bills fan that they laugh in you face? Cuz I don't find anything funny about a franchise that sucks money out of our "dedicated' fan base year after year and then shove a crappy product down our throats! Thats not funny to me. You people wanna laugh, fine. Apparently losing is funny and entertaining to you guys. I DO NOT accept losing. Havnig a bunch of jackass reporters and writers like Mort, Sully, Peter King and this douchebag making fun of us is not cool with me. And lastly, what the hell are you people going to do when this team moves to Toronto (ALLEGEDLY).

Is that going to be funny and cool too? Probably not. That's why this team need to not be on a pointless list like this and actually start winning at any cost! Screw this idiot who wrote this and screw you "dedicated" people who put down your team and laugh about your team, yet still show up at the ticket line to buy an abysmal product year after year. I think its time we give the Bills back exactly what they've given us the last ten years...NOTHING!

Screw this idiot who wrote this and screw you "dedicated" people who put down your team and laugh about your team, yet still show up at the ticket line to buy an abysmal product year after year. I think its time we give the Bills back exactly what they've given us the last ten years...NOTHING!

Never happen dude. I guarantee you that even if the Bills didn't break 8-8 and finished last in the AFC East for the next ten years they still would sell at least 40000 season tickets. To some it is like a badge of honor that they can get kicked in the teeth year after year but continue to buy the tickets, jerseys, Toronto (gag) tickets, and anything else the team wants them to. And if you don't feel the same way and keep giving Ralph your money every year then you are not a "true fan". I have no desire to tell people how to spend their money and if that's how they choose to spend it then more power to them. But there is absolutely no way what you are asking for will ever happen .... as long as they stay in Buffalo.

They're not "heading" for trouble, they've been there for 10+ years.

You are right.

I thought the article was going to focus on the Bills leaving Buffalo. The Bills will be in Buffalo as long as Ralph is alive, but after that I think it's over for Buffalo.

Don Banks is a good writer. I find it hilarious that every local and national football writer gets criticized on this board for being an idiot when the articles they write are critical of the Bills in some way.

The Bills have to prove them wrong and the articles will change. The last decade has been a disaster for the Bills and to report it is no crime. Don't kill the messengers.

I think Banks got it right.

Hey with New Orleans and Pittsburgh on the list we're in good company. National writers are overly impressed with "name" signings and are agog with Jets and Phins. I think they will be surprised this year. The writer did like Chan however.

Agreed. The Redskins make those kind of signings every year, filling up their roster with "name" players and huge contracts. How's that worked out for them over the last decade? Nix is right. You build through the draft and use FA to fill significant holes on your team that are left after that. Gaither is an example. If Buffalo does land him via trade, they get a very young, extremely talented player at a position of desperate need on the team who has twelve years of football ahead of him, barring a serious injury. That's a good move. Giving $100 Mil to Albert Haynesworth when the rest of your D is a complete disaster, is stupid. I'd prefer if Buffalo avoided doing stupid things like that.

I ripped my "Mr Optimist" card up, after the 2007 season, when I was 100% sure that Dick Jauron was not going to take the Bills anywhere...I partially ripped it when they hired Marv as GM...as bad a decision as Ralph has ever made...I had no real expectation of anything beyond 4 wins last season...so winning 6 was a bonus.

I actually enjoyed watching the Bills a lot more, last season, after Dick Jauron was fired...the team played with a lot more fire under Perry Fewell...a head coach with a pulse makes a big difference, IMO.

I am looking forward to this season...while I wasn't doing cartwheels over the Gailey hiring, I already feel like our favorite team is in much better hands than it was the last 4 years... I would be willing to bet, this team, no matter who the QB is, will be more entertaining than they have been in a few years...as a Bills fan, that is about the best I can hope for right now...but the only way is up... I am still not sure about Nix, but the more I hear from Gailey, the more I am liking him...can't wait for August....

If you are old enough to remember the late 80's then you know the "experts" picked the Bills dead last right before we exploded into our Super Bowl run. Small school players like Andre Reed impressed no one. Thurman Thomas was an injury-prone back who fell in the draft. Kelly was hot crap in the USFL but unproven in the NFL. The point is none of these guys have crystal balls. They report the obvious. But they are wrong a lot more than they are right. You'll see. The Bills are going to be a lot better than folks expect. They weren't 0-16 the last ten years. A few key players and coach with a pair (unlike Dickless Jauron) will make the difference

PTR

Like the prediction, and I agree. :beer:

Who gives a ****!!!...How much do these idiots make to state the obvious?! YES, we know that the Buffalo Bills are not good! We've known this for the better part of ten years now. And second of all, why the hell would you post something like this on this wall? We know our team is bad. Thanks for nothing SI and yourself. And for the rest of you making cracks like, "Well, at least we're number one at SOMETHING!". Is this really funny to you people? Is it funny when you tell someone you're a Bills fan that they laugh in you face? Cuz I don't find anything funny about a franchise that sucks money out of our "dedicated' fan base year after year and then shove a crappy product down our throats! Thats not funny to me. You people wanna laugh, fine. Apparently losing is funny and entertaining to you guys. I DO NOT accept losing. Havnig a bunch of jackass reporters and writers like Mort, Sully, Peter King and this douchebag making fun of us is not cool with me. And lastly, what the hell are you people going to do when this team moves to Toronto (ALLEGEDLY).

Is that going to be funny and cool too? Probably not. That's why this team need to not be on a pointless list like this and actually start winning at any cost! Screw this idiot who wrote this and screw you "dedicated" people who put down your team and laugh about your team, yet still show up at the ticket line to buy an abysmal product year after year. I think its time we give the Bills back exactly what they've given us the last ten years...NOTHING!

shut up. :beer:

Blah, blah, blah, this is such old news.

Who cares that he put the Bills #1?

If we pick up Gaither at LT for a reasonable price, would that perhaps solidify our line some and make the offseason then look like more of a success?

Will one of these undrafted free agents step up, and become a "hidden gem" that we discovered?

Look, comparing the Jets to the Bills at this point is ridiculous. Sure, the Jets went out and traded and signed all of these big name free agents. Last I checked, they only had 4 draft picks in the entire draft this year. Is it worth it to mortgage your future for the present? The old George Allen Redskins and Raiders of the 70's were the only teams to successfully do this. The Redskins of this decade have proven that simply throwing wads of cash at names does not guarantee success. Albert Hayneswho?

The Patriots have been the leaders for a decade now. They have been progressively eroding, and once Pioli left for KC it is clear that they are not that dominant force they once were. There are chinks in the armor that was once invincible. Banta-Cain is a far cry from Bruschi. I don't see a Richard Seymour replacement. They have issues at the RB position as they do not seem to have (nor care) a true #1 back.

Don't even get me started on Miami. I love Parcells and what he can do for a team. But Dansby? Are you serious? He was on the market forever. Nobody wanted him. Hardly an earth-shattering signing. And the Brandon Marshall trade, though excellent in terms of on-field ability and talent, is potentially terrible in terms of emotional baggage and distraction for off of the field.

Throw in the ever-present possibility of the injury-bug, and the NFL season is never as certain as these know-nothings attempt to proclaim it to be. Look, the guy has to write something. He gets paid to come up with this stuff. Much like the weatherman, he doesn't get fired for being wrong.

Blah, blah, blah, this is such old news.

Who cares that he put the Bills #1?

If we pick up Gaither at LT for a reasonable price, would that perhaps solidify our line some and make the offseason then look like more of a success?

Will one of these undrafted free agents step up, and become a "hidden gem" that we discovered?

Look, comparing the Jets to the Bills at this point is ridiculous. Sure, the Jets went out and traded and signed all of these big name free agents. Last I checked, they only had 4 draft picks in the entire draft this year. Is it worth it to mortgage your future for the present? The old George Allen Redskins and Raiders of the 70's were the only teams to successfully do this. The Redskins of this decade have proven that simply throwing wads of cash at names does not guarantee success. Albert Hayneswho?

The Patriots have been the leaders for a decade now. They have been progressively eroding, and once Pioli left for KC it is clear that they are not that dominant force they once were. There are chinks in the armor that was once invincible. Banta-Cain is a far cry from Bruschi. I don't see a Richard Seymour replacement. They have issues at the RB position as they do not seem to have (nor care) a true #1 back.

Don't even get me started on Miami. I love Parcells and what he can do for a team. But Dansby? Are you serious? He was on the market forever. Nobody wanted him. Hardly an earth-shattering signing. And the Brandon Marshall trade, though excellent in terms of on-field ability and talent, is potentially terrible in terms of emotional baggage and distraction for off of the field.

Throw in the ever-present possibility of the injury-bug, and the NFL season is never as certain as these know-nothings attempt to proclaim it to be. Look, the guy has to write something. He gets paid to come up with this stuff. Much like the weatherman, he doesn't get fired for being wrong.

You don't think the Jets big splash in free agency had anything to do with them opening their almost $1.6 billion dollar New Meadowlands Stadium that is now shared 50/50 with the Giants? It is something like the most expensive stadium ever built to date (the new Yankee's stadium was only 1.5 billion). :beer:

You don't think the Jets big splash in free agency had anything to do with them opening their almost $1.6 billion dollar New Meadowlands Stadium that is now shared 50/50 with the Giants? It is something like the most expensive stadium ever built to date (the new Yankee's stadium was only 1.5 billion). :beer:

Add: The New York City area is very competitive for the sports entertainment dollar and just in general. Ownership there is not going to simply be content with "having a team" and they can't sell long-term survivability on inertia and by being the only ticket in town.

Lot of good points in the posts.

1.) We have been in trouble for 10 years. we haven't been in the Top 5 pick kinda Trouble but the description in the article, "just looks like more of the same for the Bills, who have been running in place for so long now that it's hard to detect any motion at all" is spot on. You can't really argue with that.

2.) The argument that the Team in Buffalo does this or that to sell tickets, is ridiculous. Tickets will be sold in Buffalo whether they are 1-15 or 16-0. Merchandise is more susceptible to changes in sale as as result to changes record; much more than ticket sales. People in Buffalo are going to the game the 8, make that 7 or 6, Home games we get. Just like in Kansas City, There is nothing else to do.

3.) You can't argue with this either:

REASON NOT TO PANIC: New Bills head coach Chan Gailey has made some good-but-not-great quarterbacks go a long way in the past, and Kordell Stewart, Jay Fiedler and Tyler Thigpen know it. Gailey had a pretty solid record as an offensive coordinator for three teams, and he went two-for-two in taking the Cowboys to the playoffs as a head coach in the late '90s. The Bills could be -- and have been -- in far worse hands.

4.) Its not likely we are heading for "more" trouble then we already in. If we go 1-15, 2-14, 3-13, 4-12 yeah that would be worse but the bright spot is next year we would be guarenteed to grab a real QB. A QB that has more chance of being a "franchise" QB than the scrubs in the 2010 draft.

Most likely we're going to be heading for another 6-10 or 7-9 more running in place.