The word is "corps"!

While we're at it:

You don't "loose" a game (or your mind). The word is lose.

This was the one I was going to say. I see some people who I think are pretty smart type that, too.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They could really teach the Army a lot, that's for sure!

Ah, Uncle Sam's Misguided Children. It was nice saving their butts in Najaf and Fallujah back in 2004. They have the best PR in the entire US Military. :thumbsup:

...and my last contribution to this thread:

You don't put an apostrophe in the word "Bills" (i.e., Bill's) unless you are referring to a guy named Bill and something he owns (i.e, this is my friend Bill's truck).

If you want to indicate possession with respect to the Bills, the apostrophe comes at the end (i.e., the Bills' front office).

Most of the time, however, you don't need an apostrophe at all (i.e., we're all Bills fans here).

Happy Monday. :thumbsup:

The Department of the Navy, who the Marine Corps works for, thanks you as well. :thumbsup:

I seriously want to go to a large news network and offer my services for the ticker, because more often than not they are terrible at their jobs :devil:

i.e.:

Tiger Wood's

Day of Remembrence

Calender

Ah, the Navy....The Marine Corps taxi service.

As long as were at it some people need to know the difference between then and than;

Main Entry: 1then

Pronunciation: \ˈthen\

Function: adverb

Etymology: Middle English than, then then, than, from Old English thonne, thænne; akin to Old High German denne then, than, Old English thæt that

Date: before 12th century

1 : at that time

2 a : soon after that : next in order of time <walked to the door, then turned> b : following next after in order of position, narration, or enumeration : being next in a series <first came the clowns, and then came the elephants> c : in addition : besides <then there is the interest to be paid>

3 a (1) : in that case <take it, then, if you want it so much> (2) —used after but to qualify or offset a preceding statement <she lost the race, but then she never really expected to win> b : according to that : as may be inferred <your mind is made up, then> c : as it appears : by way of summing up <the cause of the accident, then, is established> d : as a necessary consequence <if the angles are equal, then the complements are equal>

— and then some : with much more in addition <would require all his strength and then some>

Main Entry: 1than

Pronunciation: \thən, ˈthan\

Function: conjunction

Etymology: Middle English than, then then, than — more at then

Date: before 12th century

1 a —used as a function word to indicate the second member or the member taken as the point of departure in a comparison expressive of inequality ; used with comparative adjectives and comparative adverbs <older than I am> <easier said than done> b —used as a function word to indicate difference of kind, manner, or identity ; used especially with some adjectives and adverbs that express diversity <anywhere else than at home>

2 : rather than —usually used only after prefer, preferable, and preferably

3 : other than

4 : when 1b —used especially after scarcely and hardly

And affect and effect;

Main Entry: 1af·fect

Pronunciation: \ˈa-ˌfekt\

Function: noun

Etymology: Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Latin affectus, from afficere

Date: 14th century

1 obsolete : feeling, affection

2 : the conscious subjective aspect of an emotion considered apart from bodily changes; also : a set of observable manifestations of a subjectively experienced emotion <patients…showed perfectly normal reactions and affects — Oliver Sacks>

usage see effect

Main Entry: 1ef·fect

Pronunciation: \i-ˈfekt, e-, ē-, ə-\

Function: noun

Etymology: Middle English, from Anglo-French & Latin; Anglo-French, from Latin effectus, from efficere to bring about, from ex- + facere to make, do — more at do

Date: 14th century

1 a : purport, intent b : basic meaning : essence

2 : something that inevitably follows an antecedent (as a cause or agent)

3 : an outward sign : appearance

4 : accomplishment, fulfillment

5 : power to bring about a result : influence <the content itself of television…is therefore less important than its effect — Current Biography>

6 plural : movable property : goods <personal effects>

7 a : a distinctive impression <the color gives the effect of being warm> b : the creation of a desired impression <her tears were purely for effect> c (1) : something designed to produce a distinctive or desired impression —usually used in plural (2) plural : special effects

8 : the quality or state of being operative : operation <the law goes into effect next week>

— in effect : in substance : virtually <the…committee agreed to what was in effect a reduction in the hourly wage — Current Biography>

— to the effect : with the meaning <issued a statement to the effect that he would resign>

Need I say more?

Ah, Uncle Sam's Misguided Children. It was nice saving their butts in Najaf and Fallujah back in 2004. They have the best PR in the entire US Military. :thumbsup:

Now there's a rewriting of history. Wouldn't have been a Fallujah problem if the Corps had been left to continue what it was already doing before the arrogant Blackwater clowns sent those guys roaring through an explosive situation to deliver... kitchen ware, then Dubya's team decided they had to go "boots in their ass" even if it meant the locals were going to go nuts.

Then there was Odierno and the 4th ID kicking over the beehive in Tikrit after the Marines left them a pacified population. And the idiot Tommy Franks who capitulated to Rumsfeld and his wack jobs and their "plans" to conquer millions of people with such a small force that they couldn't even secure and guard the massive stashes of bombs, shells and other armaments they discovered (much of which later was used for IEDs) At least Franks had enough sense to run away when he saw the mess he helped create metastasizing before his hungover eyes.

I shouldn't have to mention -- but I will -- that Petraeus's vaunted counterinsurgency manual is essentially a rewrite of the Marine Corps manual on insurgency developed during and after the Spanish American War in the Philippines. And his Clear-Hold-Build approach? An updating of what the Corps was doing with its CAP program in Vietnam until Army General Westmoreland put a stop to it because its success made his overall strategy look stupid. The Petraeus Surge? Again, based on a Marine Corps initiative which had already largely pacified Anbar (and was what the Corps was trying to do in Fallujah in 2003 until politics and Army bullheadedness intruded).

Some of the worst days in the history of the Marine Corps came when it was under Army command: Belleau Wood, Peleliu, Okinawa and Chosin. And it was Army commanders who stuck those Marines way out in the boonies at Khe Sanh, only to abandon the position after the battle.

I don't mean to disparage the Army grunts who have a deservedly proud history and who today are probably as good as they have ever been. But the Army officer corps? Oh, man. If you're looking for the cause of historical Army failures, never put the blame on the valiant soldiers on the ground; look no further than the West Point culture.

While you're at it, can you help Alphadouche7 spell "rediculous"?

LMAO...Hey "John Cocksmall", are you really giving a spelling lesson after the countless incoherent gibberish posts you have made (which have plenty of their own errors)

Is this how you compensate for your name? Make you feel like a "bigger" man to puff your chest over a word spelled wrong on a sports message board to help validate your pointless posts?

LOL...you go right ahead if you need that to "float your boat"...just let me know when you actually make a valid post on here and we'll talk then...

This thread is hilarious...Spelling and grammer lessons on a sports message board...classic, now I have seen it all

PS: To the OP: Sometimes the correct use of the word is "core" and you are misunderstanding the use of the word. If you are talking about the group collectively = corps...if someone is saying we have a great "core" of such and such, they could mean a solid group of guys inside the collective group they are referring too...so its not always used wrong. For example: We have a great RB corps...We have a great core of LB's to build on (referring to some solid guys inside the group of LB's)...there is a distinct difference and each has its own application...

<snipped blah blah blah Marine stuff blah blah blah>

Um, guys, let's stay on point, ok? Just to recap, this is a thread on a Buffalo Bills message board about how many of you can't write correctly.

:rolleyes:

...not "corp" or "core." You wouldn't talk about the "Marine Core," would you? [God help me, maybe you would. :rolleyes: ]

The receiving "corps." The linebacking "corps."

I know it looks funny. But it's right.

Also:

Folks also say "Kewpons", instead of coupons.

But the Kewpon people somehow, never say this: "I drove my Cadillac Kewp de Ville, to look at a Mercury Kewger for buy for my daughter." :P

Ah well - regional dialect...patois (pronounced pattyose in western PA).

LMAO...Hey "John Cocksmall", are you really giving a spelling lesson after the countless incoherent gibberish posts you have made (which have plenty of their own errors)

Is this how you compensate for your name? Make you feel like a "bigger" man to puff your chest over a word spelled wrong on a sports message board to help validate your pointless posts?

LOL...you go right ahead if you need that to "float your boat"...just let me know when you actually make a valid post on here and we'll talk then...

This thread is hilarious...Spelling and grammer lessons on a sports message board...classic, now I have seen it all

PS: To the OP: Sometimes the correct use of the word is "core" and you are misunderstanding the use of the word. If you are talking about the group collectively = corps...if someone is saying we have a great "core" of such and such, they could mean a solid group of guys inside the collective group they are referring too...so its not always used wrong. For example: We have a great RB corps...We have a great core of LB's to build on (referring to some solid guys inside the group of LB's)...there is a distinct difference and each has its own application...

That's just rediculous [sic] :rolleyes:

Agreed....my point exactly - that's why I placed quotation marks around the term commander in chief, which signified I was using the term loosely.

REALLY NOW!..." commander in chief", hard to reconcile that when it comes to him