The word is "corps"!

...not "corp" or "core." You wouldn't talk about the "Marine Core," would you? [God help me, maybe you would. :rolleyes: ]

The receiving "corps." The linebacking "corps."

I know it looks funny. But it's right.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You gotta ask Alphadbag7. For all I know, it might be some secret word that teams use to pick up players on other teams practice squads. :rolleyes:

I am unfamiliar with his apparently varied spelling of the word.

Now if we can get people to stop typing "should of" and "would of" instead of the correct "should have", "should've", "would have" and "would've".

Drives me crazy, especially since we're writing here people, not speaking.

Now if we can get people to stop typing "should of" and "would of" instead of the correct "should have", "should've", "would have" and "would've".

Irregardless :D that wasn't the original issue.

And after that maybe we can straighten out all the rocket surgeons that don't know when to use affect vs effect

As long as were at it some people need to know the difference between then and than;

Main Entry: 1then

Pronunciation: \ˈthen\

Function: adverb

Etymology: Middle English than, then then, than, from Old English thonne, thænne; akin to Old High German denne then, than, Old English thæt that

Date: before 12th century

1 : at that time

2 a : soon after that : next in order of time <walked to the door, then turned> b : following next after in order of position, narration, or enumeration : being next in a series <first came the clowns, and then came the elephants> c : in addition : besides <then there is the interest to be paid>

3 a (1) : in that case <take it, then, if you want it so much> (2) —used after but to qualify or offset a preceding statement <she lost the race, but then she never really expected to win> b : according to that : as may be inferred <your mind is made up, then> c : as it appears : by way of summing up <the cause of the accident, then, is established> d : as a necessary consequence <if the angles are equal, then the complements are equal>

— and then some : with much more in addition <would require all his strength and then some>

Main Entry: 1than

Pronunciation: \thən, ˈthan\

Function: conjunction

Etymology: Middle English than, then then, than — more at then

Date: before 12th century

1 a —used as a function word to indicate the second member or the member taken as the point of departure in a comparison expressive of inequality ; used with comparative adjectives and comparative adverbs <older than I am> <easier said than done> b —used as a function word to indicate difference of kind, manner, or identity ; used especially with some adjectives and adverbs that express diversity <anywhere else than at home>

2 : rather than —usually used only after prefer, preferable, and preferably

3 : other than

4 : when 1b —used especially after scarcely and hardly

And affect and effect;

Main Entry: 1af·fect

Pronunciation: \ˈa-ˌfekt\

Function: noun

Etymology: Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Latin affectus, from afficere

Date: 14th century

1 obsolete : feeling, affection

2 : the conscious subjective aspect of an emotion considered apart from bodily changes; also : a set of observable manifestations of a subjectively experienced emotion <patients…showed perfectly normal reactions and affects — Oliver Sacks>

usage see effect

Main Entry: 1ef·fect

Pronunciation: \i-ˈfekt, e-, ē-, ə-\

Function: noun

Etymology: Middle English, from Anglo-French & Latin; Anglo-French, from Latin effectus, from efficere to bring about, from ex- + facere to make, do — more at do

Date: 14th century

1 a : purport, intent b : basic meaning : essence

2 : something that inevitably follows an antecedent (as a cause or agent)

3 : an outward sign : appearance

4 : accomplishment, fulfillment

5 : power to bring about a result : influence <the content itself of television…is therefore less important than its effect — Current Biography>

6 plural : movable property : goods <personal effects>

7 a : a distinctive impression <the color gives the effect of being warm> b : the creation of a desired impression <her tears were purely for effect> c (1) : something designed to produce a distinctive or desired impression —usually used in plural (2) plural : special effects

8 : the quality or state of being operative : operation <the law goes into effect next week>

— in effect : in substance : virtually <the…committee agreed to what was in effect a reduction in the hourly wage — Current Biography>

— to the effect : with the meaning <issued a statement to the effect that he would resign>

And after that maybe we can straighten out all the rocket surgeons that don't know when to use affect vs effect

Baby steps, dev. Can't change the world overnight.