The word is "corps"!

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope. Doc's a college prof, not a high school teacher.

I still make mistakes, though. I forgot an apostrophe in a post earlier in this thread.

It's finals week at NC State. Lots of nervous and exhausted undergrads. None of them have NFL contracts awaiting them after they graduate, just the same search for work and a place in the world all of us have.

But at least they are only 22. *sigh*

I still make mistakes, though. I forgot an apostrophe in a post earlier in this thread.

It's finals week at NC State. Lots of nervous and exhausted undergrads. None of them have NFL contracts awaiting them after they graduate, just the same search for work and a place in the world all of us have.

But at least they are only 22. *sigh*

let the red ink fly! my recently graduated lawyer niece recently sent me a thank you note extolling my wife and i as "roll models" (maybe she felt the gift too small). i'm a couple of pounds over ideal body weight but really don't deserve that. it was unexpected from someone who should be a bit of a wordsmith. grammar is important in work or school related documents and even in traditional letter writing. i think , for better or worse, bad grammar is acceptable and even expected on the internet.

Now if we can get people to stop typing "should of" and "would of" instead of the correct "should have", "should've", "would have" and "would've".

Drives me crazy, especially since we're writing here people, not speaking.

really this drives you crazy?

i didn't want to loose that game. ok, most of us know it's lose. so freaking what if our bills compadres cant spell. i honestly dont care. well maybe thats why i dont capitalize anything...

You been listening to the boyz at my house? *LOL* I am now saying/texting "prolly" and "kk" instead of ok. :rolleyes:

texting is one thing but saying "kk" and "prolly" ("prolly" shouldn't even be texted, but that's another story).

Do you really find your self saying "kk" and "prolly" in daily conversation :P

Oh well, to be fair I know a girl that regularly says "OMG"

let the red ink fly! my recently graduated lawyer niece recently sent me a thank you note extolling my wife and i as "roll models" (maybe she felt the gift too small). i'm a couple of pounds over ideal body weight but really don't deserve that. it was unexpected from someone who should be a bit of a wordsmith. grammar is important in work or school related documents and even in traditional letter writing. i think , for better or worse, bad grammar is acceptable and even expected on the internet.

Uh, probably runs in the family. Can't escape genetics.

Should be "extolling my wife and me" :rolleyes:

You been listening to the boyz at my house? *LOL* I am now saying/texting "prolly" and "kk" instead of ok. :)

:beer: I am not sure where I first heard or read "prolly". I have seen it quite a bit though, online anyway.

I wonder if it is a WNY thing... thinking back I believe I have heard people shorten probably to "prolly".

Now if we can get people to stop typing "should of" and "would of" instead of the correct "should have", "should've", "would have" and "would've".

Drives me crazy, especially since we're writing here people, not speaking.

or you could just go with shoulda, woulda, a coulda.... :)

And no more superfluous apostrophes! Please stop using them for making words plural! Now give me two more martinis (NOT martini's)!

BTW, its is the possessive, it's is a contraction.

Done. Out.

Okay, one more...

Why is it that ONLY "sportstalkers" use:

1.) As of late. ("Lately" isn't good enough for you?)

2.) The annoying plural thing. (i.e., "The Jim KellyS and the Carwell GardnerS and the Ryan MillerS of the the world...") There is ONLY ONE Jim Kelly!

I feel better. Sorta...

:) I am not sure where I first heard or read "prolly". I have seen it quite a bit though, online anyway.

I wonder if it is a WNY thing... thinking back I believe I have heard people shorten probably to "prolly".

Prolly, even as an abbreviation is stupid. If you're going to shorten it, how about "Probly?" Probly is actually how many people pronounce it when shortening words. It makes no sense to eliminate the "B."

As to Dev/Null's acquaintance who actually says "OMG," the guiding rule should be whether you're actually saving syllables or not, shouldn't it? Saying LMAO isn't really any shorter than saying "laugh my ass off" (or actually just laughing, in this case).

Okay, one more...

Why is it that ONLY "sportstalkers" use:

1.) As of late. ("Lately" isn't good enough for you?)

2.) The annoying plural thing. (i.e., "The Jim KellyS and the Carwell GardnerS and the Ryan MillerS of the the world...") There is ONLY ONE Jim Kelly!

I feel better. Sorta...

Sports announcers are the worst. When I was in broadcasting the guiding rule was economy of word. You're always trying to fit the most information in the smallest amount of time.

So I would never use "prideful" when I could use proud...no matter how vogue it is.

Also, these idiots can't say "he's going to be a successful quarterback someday."

They are apparently now required to say "he's going to be successful at the quarterback position, someday."

Again needlessly adding words, because most of these idiots don't really have anything to say. They're constantly filling with fluff to knock out segments.