The word is "corps"!

Prolly, even as an abbreviation is stupid. If you're going to shorten it, how about "Probly?" Probly is actually how many people pronounce it when shortening words. It makes no sense to eliminate the "B."

As to Dev/Null's acquaintance who actually says "OMG," the guiding rule should be whether you're actually saving syllables or not, shouldn't it? Saying LMAO isn't really any shorter than saying "laugh my ass off" (or actually just laughing, in this case).

Sports announcers are the worst. When I was in broadcasting the guiding rule was economy of word. You're always trying to fit the most information in the smallest amount of time.

So I would never use "prideful" when I could use proud...no matter how vogue it is.

Also, these idiots can't say "he's going to be a successful quarterback someday."

They are apparently now required to say "he's going to be successful at the quarterback position, someday."

Again needlessly adding words, because most of these idiots don't really have anything to say. They're constantly filling with fluff to knock out segments.

Or because they're in love with the sound of their own voice. Yeah, I'm looking at you, Rome.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LMAO...Hey "John Cocksmall", are you really giving a spelling lesson after the countless incoherent gibberish posts you have made (which have plenty of their own errors)

Is this how you compensate for your name? Make you feel like a "bigger" man to puff your chest over a word spelled wrong on a sports message board to help validate your pointless posts?

LOL...you go right ahead if you need that to "float your boat"...just let me know when you actually make a valid post on here and we'll talk then...

This thread is hilarious...Spelling and grammer lessons on a sports message board...classic, now I have seen it all

PS: To the OP: Sometimes the correct use of the word is "core" and you are misunderstanding the use of the word. If you are talking about the group collectively = corps...if someone is saying we have a great "core" of such and such, they could mean a solid group of guys inside the collective group they are referring too...so its not always used wrong. For example: We have a great RB corps...We have a great core of LB's to build on (referring to some solid guys inside the group of LB's)...there is a distinct difference and each has its own application...

Nicely done.

singular subject takes singular pronoun.

"That guy dropped their wallet." "That guy dropped HIS wallet." Unless that guy dropped a wallet that belonged to several people, there is no "they" who dropped "their" wallet. One guy. Dropped one wallet. Belonging to him.

Also, some pronouns that people think of as plural are actually singular, and should follow this rule.

Someone. Anyone. Everyone. Each. Either. Neither.

These are only talking about one person at a time. "Everyone gave me his payment" Not ". . . their payment." I received it from every ONE of you. Individually. Acting as a he (or she), and not as a they. (Unless we are talking about a siamese twin, which might be a "they").

Neither of you HAS to go to work. Neither ONE has to. Three or 4 people (they) have to (plural) but 1 person (he) has to (singular).

Gregg Rosenthal on PFT botches both of these ALL the time.