Analyzing the analysts

After watching the entire draft by flipping back and forth I have to say the NFL channel out researched and outdid ESPN. Even losing Mayock today didn't bring them down,,,,ESPN did not seem organized and talked wayyyyyy too much about Clausen, Mcoy, et al

I flipped to ESPN a few times. Then flipped back to NFL Networkto watch the commercial rather than watch the overstylized, no substance ESPN. Kind of a shame.. I used to like Berman, but rarely get to hear his comments any more.

It's not even close. NFL Network was excellent. Tons of insight.

I've actually enjoyed ESPN over the years, but I found it painful to watch this year. Borderline unwatchable. Too many guys, low energy, lots of stumbling, no one seemed that well informed, and Steve Young almost single-handedly kills it - he is such a boor (loves to hear himself talk, interrupts, doesn't listen to anyone, offers nothing new - just godawful).

I was really impressed with the NFL Network coverage.

NFL hands down. ESPN Shouldn't be allowed to cover the draft any longer

HAHAHA!!! that's awesome.....I can see Godell stripping them of Draft Coverage rights "I am imposing a suspension of 3 years on ESPN from covering the draft"

I watched NFLN for day two and three.....ESPN day one (not by choice)....I say NFLN was way better at it, as they have been the last couple years I have watched them.

To tell the truth, haven't watched ESPN for anything in years. The last time I saw boomer was when he introduced Ralph at the HOF. But I can't help thinking that it would be a total and complete humiliation if the NFL's own TV channel found itself to be out-researched or out-analyzed by any other channel.

To tell the truth, haven't watched ESPN for anything in years. The last time I saw boomer was when he introduced Ralph at the HOF. But I can't help thinking that it would be a total and complete humiliation if the NFL's own TV channel found itself to be out-researched or out-analyzed by any other channel.

NFLN, NHLN, MLBN, and NBATV have all cut into ESPN viewership and I'm damn happy about it!!! :pirate:

NFLN, NHLN, MLBN, and NBATV have all cut into ESPN viewership and I'm damn happy about it!!! :flirt:

ESPN needs something to take them off their self-given pedestal. They do a painfully average job of covering pretty much everything, and only stick to the "big" names. Like many have said, they killed the whole McCoy and Clausen situations by not letting it go.

I kept flicking back and forth, only to see the draft ticker at the bottom of ESPN during the commercials on NFL-N :pirate:

NFL Network hands down. ESPN sucked all day. They should have put Schefter on air a lot longer. Hes the only guy they have who isn't terrible. I don't understand why they are so bad. The best analogy I could draw is, it's like they're running on modem technology in a high speed internet world. They simply won't adapt and change

After watching the entire draft by flipping back and forth I have to say the NFL channel out researched and outdid ESPN. Even losing Mayock today didn't bring them down,,,,ESPN did not seem organized and talked wayyyyyy too much about Clausen, Mcoy, et al

Agree, NFL network did a better job. I switched back and forth a bit and finally stuck with NFLN.

berman and kiper, et al have been doing it for years,,,,would have thought it would have been more professional, they seemed totally unprepared and all the talk surrounding clausen and mccoy got old

I can't stand Rich Eisen (sp?) but I have to agree that as a whole NFL Channel blew ESPN away.

Picking up on what you and others have said, I would have preferred having simply Berman, Jackson and Kiper and maybe Jaws for special commentary on the QBs. Young just never shuts up and although Gruden occasionally adds an insightful comment, most of the time he simply says "he is the greatest player I've ever seen."

Back when it was mainly Chris and Mel, the show really worked.

I can't stand Rich Eisen (sp?) but I have to agree that as a whole NFL Channel blew ESPN away.

Picking up on what you and others have said, I would have preferred having simply Berman, Jackson and Kiper and maybe Jaws for special commentary on the QBs. Young just never shuts up and although Gruden occasionally adds an insightful comment, most of the time he simply says "he is the greatest player I've ever seen."

Back when it was mainly Chris and Mel, the show really worked.

Out of all the analysts on both networks I really enjoyed Chavous (very knowledgable), Mayock (before he couldn't talk), and Gruden (for his insight on what makes certain players special and his crazy chucky look). But Steve Young was horrible made me uncomfortable just watching him look and talk like a complete dumbass.

ESPN can't seem to decide who they want to give air time to so they decided to just include everyone. Having Mort sit there next to Schefter with a goofy look on his face is just embarrassing.

You simply can't do sports effectively when you decide you're going to split the airtime between 12 guys.

Out of all the analysts on both networks I really enjoyed Chavous (very knowledgable), Mayock (before he couldn't talk), and Gruden (for his insight on what makes certain players special and his crazy chucky look). But Steve Young was horrible made me uncomfortable just watching him look and talk like a complete dumbass.

For me watching Chavous was bittersweet, as his commentary was excellent, but everytime he spoke, I was reminded of how old I am, recalling a prior draft day experience when I was hoping he would drop to us. Of course, we ended up getting Cowert, so all was not lost ... well, that was the 1st for RJ year, so yeah, all was pretty much lost ... but we didn't know it at the time.

For me watching Chavous was bittersweet, as his commentary was excellent, but everytime he spoke, I was reminded of how old I am, recalling a prior draft day experience when I was hoping he would drop to us. Of course, we ended up getting Cowert, so all was not lost ... well, that was the 1st for RJ year, so yeah, all was pretty much lost ... but we didn't know it at the time.

you've been here since 2002? Geez, I have never seen your name here before...

As I said in another thread, I would've preferred to watch Kiper on ESPN, but as soon as I saw the incredibly lame Steve Young, I switched to NFLN.

Best coverage by far though was when I was driving around listening to Sirius. Last year they were on delay & out-of-sync with the cable stations, never tried this year to see if that was still the case.

It's not even close. NFL Network was excellent. Tons of insight.

I've actually enjoyed ESPN over the years, but I found it painful to watch this year. Borderline unwatchable. Too many guys, low energy, lots of stumbling, no one seemed that well informed, and Steve Young almost single-handedly kills it - he is such a boor (loves to hear himself talk, interrupts, doesn't listen to anyone, offers nothing new - just godawful).

I was really impressed with the NFL Network coverage.

+ 1000

The NFL Network has been out doing ESPN for many years now. I am so glad I switched. Substance over style.

As I said in another thread, I would've preferred to watch Kiper on ESPN, but as soon as I saw the incredibly lame Steve Young, I switched to NFLN.

Best coverage by far though was when I was driving around listening to Sirius. Last year they were on delay & out-of-sync with the cable stations, never tried this year to see if that was still the case.

Steve Young....OMG try John "I'm coming back into coaching soon and therefore I cannot dislike or critisize a single player in this entire draft" Gruden. He was a complete joke.

He loved every quarterback. I want all of these guys on my team...of course you do.

seriously his love fest for all players drafted was idiotic.

NFL network was better but Dieon Sanders has to go.

I'm not sure if anyone noticed that Coors Light has a fridge keg now. They didnt run the commercial very often on ESPN so you may have missed it. :thumbsup:

Yep, duly noted. Oh, and NFLN without question. ESPN = Especially Short Penis Nose network. Unwatchable total self-absorbed drivel is what they produce. What once was a fine franchise of sportscasting is now a complete wreck.

I started listening to the guys on Sirius radio yesterday morning, those guys were terrible. Maybe it was just the morning shift, because normally they have good announcers on Sirius.

I live in Newfoundland and we don't get ESPN at all. When I first moved here I missed it, mostly because I was used to watching Sportscenter a couple of times a day. We have TSN, the sister station here and we get the ESPN programming through that. Not all, but some. The ESPN draft coverage was on TSN here. They cut away for hockey coverage on Thursday night, then didn't show the Saturday coverage at all. Gotta say, I agree with everyone here. The NFL network coverage was way better. I watched it even when the ESPN coverage was on here. I flipped to ESPN a couple of times, but found their coverage boring. Corey Chavous is the man. He really impressed me with how well prepared he was and his analysis was off the charts. Good job NFLN and after living here for almost 8 years, I don't miss ESPN at all. They are a bunch of blowhards in almost every sport they cover.

berman and kiper, et al have been doing it for years,,,,would have thought it would have been more professional, they seemed totally unprepared and all the talk surrounding clausen and mccoy got old

I saw the same thing. Berman looked completely lost (and ticked off) on several occasions. I don't get the NFL network but based on what I've seen from their web replays, they looked much more prepared.

Remember though, ESPN has a lot more casual fans, so their broadcast is tailored to them. NFLN's stuff is tailored to the more serious fan.

The third through seventh rounds go fast and furious. I want a comment and a film clip at the pace the players are picked. There are too many multimedia presentations and lead ins. Do we need popular music and slow motion replays before and after every break? Both could improve their coverage. ESPN could cut Steve Young and Tom Jackson. NFL Network needs a better screen to show draft order and other info.

Like everyone else said NFL channel was much better by a landslide. The details, graphics, analysis, etc was much more in depth then ESPN wondering when Clausen and McCoy was going to be drafted.

What stood out the most was all the freaken COMMERCIALS on ESPN Thursday night. After that I don't think I even flipped ESPN on Friday or Saturday after that debacle.

The only drawback was Eisen can get a little annoying after a while but nothing compared to those clowns on ESPN (besides Berman)