We need an elite LT and the Redskins need picks

The Redskins now have what, 1 pick in the top 100? They'll be dying to slide down a few spots if they can add a pick or two. And we're in desperate need of an elite LT. Okung should be available at 4, but he'll be long gone by 9. Peter King opines that both Okung and Bulaga will go in the top 5, and I'm of the view that Trent Williams will be gone by 8.

I know, I know, this front office values draft picks too much, and we never trade up in Round 1. Ever.

But we need to at least try to make this happen. The question is, can we move up from 9 to 4 without losing our second round pick? Perhaps, but it may involve sending a player or two in the process... which I'm fine with, if it means we get a blue chip player.

I am just terrified that Nix & Co. will sit tight at the 9 spot and be stuck with a choice of Anthony Davis or a non-need position.

Thoughts?

The Redskins now have what, 1 pick in the top 100? They'll be dying to slide down a few spots if they can add a pick or two. And we're in desperate need of an elite LT. Okung should be available at 4, but he'll be long gone by 9. Peter King opines that both Okung and Bulaga will go in the top 5, and I'm of the view that Trent Williams will be gone by 8.

I know, I know, this front office values draft picks too much, and we never trade up in Round 1. Ever.

But we need to at least try to make this happen. The question is, can we move up from 9 to 4 without losing our second round pick? Perhaps, but it may involve sending a player or two in the process... which I'm fine with, if it means we get a blue chip player.

I am just terrified that Nix & Co. will sit tight at the 9 spot and be stuck with a choice of Anthony Davis or a non-need position.

Thoughts?

King mentions today that the #2 pick might be available. Why stop at 4, move on up to #2 and draft the monster NT this defense needs.

Thoughts?

Nice idea, but it would cost a 2nd rounder to move up. We need quantity as well as quality.

Nice idea, but it would cost a 2nd rounder to move up. We need quantity as well as quality.

I agree, but if it meant getting Suh, I'm okay with that. Other positions would suffer... and it wouldn't be ideal for our O-line, but I really think Suh is worth it. He's the type of player that can single handedly change what the opposition is allowed to do. We haven't had a player like that in a very long time, and it would go a long way in helping us become a force again.

I agree, but if it meant getting Suh, I'm okay with that. Other positions would suffer... and it wouldn't be ideal for our O-line, but I really think Suh is worth it. He's the type of player that can single handedly change what the opposition is allowed to do. We haven't had a player like that in a very long time, and it would go a long way in helping us become a force again.

ummmm...neither Mccoy or Suh are NT people, they are DT people, square peg into a round hole

I like Suh a lot...But taking the RIGHT 2 prospects at #9 and #41 Overall will always be better that just one guy who may or may not be a great Player...

The Bills simply need to start Drafting well...I know that's an understatement, but Trading away Premium Draft Picks, Picks that can bring you 10 year Starters if you just Pick the right guy, is NOT the way to build a Championship Team...Especially when your basically building from scratch... <_<

Probably couldn't get McCoy or Suh at 4 ... so we would have to get to #2 or 3 ... most likely 2 since Det wants out of that spot. Now we're probably talking this year's #2 and a #2 next year.

Thoughts?

1.) You can't use the Bills' past draft history as an indicator of future history, its a new administration.

2.)The Deadskins have a huge need at LT, why would they possibly trade out of getting the Blue Chip Tackle in the draft? Makes 0 sense for the Deadskins.

3.) What position is "non-need" for the Bills? Punter.

The truth is Beluga and obviously Okung is exactly what the Bills need but it would take a whole lot to move up the 6 spots to get him. No one wants Lynch. We have no other players of any real value to trade, so we would need to trade a whole hell of alot of picks to get up to #2,3,5.

Its not likely. Just hope that CJ. Spillers is there at 9 and someone is willing to trade up for him.

If not then its most likely going to be someone like Branden Graham or Derrick Morgan at 1.09

With Rodger Safford, LT Indiana at 2.09

Thoughts?

Not sure what roster you're looking at to think there are so many "non-need" positions. Beyond LT I see NT, WR, C, RT, ILB, and OLB (not seeing Kelsay fitting in rushing off the edge of dropping in coverage).

If the run on OTs happens, you either take McClain (best available) or hope Clausen is still there and trade down to an organization high on him.

We need LOTS of help. If Nix is the talent evaluator we think/hope he is, we need those picks in the 2nd and 3rd rounds more than the move up to 4 overall.

I like Suh a lot...But taking the RIGHT 2 prospects at #9 and #41 Overall will always be better that just one guy who may or may not be a great Player...

The Bills simply need to start Drafting well...I know that's an understatement, but Trading away Premium Draft Picks, Picks that can bring you 10 year Starters if you just Pick the right guy, is NOT the way to build a Championship Team...Especially when your basically building from scratch... <_<

Who is more likely to be a 10 year starter, Suh or the Bills #41 pick?

1.) You can't use the Bills' past draft history as an indicator of future history, its a new administration.

2.)The Deadskins have a huge need at LT, why would they possibly trade out of getting the Blue Chip Tackle in the draft? Makes 0 sense for the Deadskins.

The truth is Beluga and obviously Okung is exactly what the Bills need but it would take a whole lot to move up the 6 spots to get him. No one wants Lynch. We have no other players of any real value to trade, so we would need to trade a whole hell of alot of picks to get up to #2,3,5.

Its not likely. Just hope that CJ. Spillers is there at 9 and someone is willing to trade up for him.

If not then its most likely going to be someone like Branden Graham or Derrick Morgan at 1.09

The McNabb trade leaves Bulaga to the Redskins and they will take him there.

Exactly (although, in fairness our secondary looks set after all of the investments made there during the old regime).

Gotta trade down when you have this many holes.

The Bills are not going to trade up from #9 overall. They can't afford to. If anything, they need to to trade to acquire MORE picks within the first four round.

Washington has two R1 picks this year so I don't think they need picks. They could trade down with one of their R1 picks to acquire the R2 pick that they traded for McNabb.

I don't think you trade up PERIOD in what is going to be the deepest draft the NFL has seen in years. Especially when the Bills have so many holes. Trading up into the top 5 (when you are already in the top 10) is one of the riskiest moves a team can make and it rarely pays off the dividends one expects.

I would much rather have the Bills take the best player available at their positions of need at 9 and then trade back into the late 1st round if they really need to.

We need to seriously get off this mentality that the Bills 100% NEED to draft a certain position w/ their first pick. It is a **** mentality that has handicapped the organization for the past 10 years. Draft the best player available instead of reaching to solve one of our many positions of need. Anthony Davis and Campbell are not Buddy Nix type players. If he ends up drafting one, I will have a lot of faith in the pick mainly bc Nix is very tentative about drafting players with short-term collegiate success. So if either of those two players (both athletic specimens who are very raw) get drafted, I will have faith in the pick.

But please get rid of this idea that we NEED Bulaga or Okung. If we ever traded up into the 1st round it better be for Sam Bradford. And we all know he is going #1.

Ordinarily, I would agree with you. But I'll say this: if this regime does not emerge from this offseason with a starting-caliber left tackle, there will be folks out of jobs very soon. Mark it down.

Thoughts?

No. If you trade up to #2 you take that LT. Bigger value and impact position for the money.

Exactly (although, in fairness our secondary looks set after all of the investments made there during the old regime).

Gotta trade down when you have this many holes.

Agreed. That's IF the opportunity presents itself. Depends on how the top of the draft goes. Who is there at 9 someone wants badly enough and believes Jacksonville, Denver or Miami would take before them?

Actually, statistically speaking, there is no sure thing. The odds are pretty much dead even. Suh is a beast, but that 2nd rounder could end up as a ten-year starter as well. Having a first-rounder that has a long career to go along with that 2nd rounder is definitely a Bills need at this point. Though we were able to sign some strong FA's in the "glory years" our drafts were also extremely solid. Although, you might use a Bruce/Suh comparison to counter my argument, I think the majority of this board knows that we need quality and quantity in our current state.

I think the Redskins would be more interested in this deal than the Bills should.

The Redskins need to fill both tackle spots.

I don't understand this fear Bills fans have of position X not being available at the time we pick. The beauty of Marv Levy/Dick Jauron and Russ Brandon running this franchise the last 4 years is they left the cubbard pretty bare.

Seriously, outside of punter and defensive back, and the other obvious positions you wouldn't select 9th overall strictly based on value of the position ( K, OG, C, FB, TE), what position on the Bills roster couldn't use a blue chipper?

All the tackles are gone, take Jimmy Clausen. Great, we need a Qb.

All the tackles you like are gone, and they don't like Clausen? Great! Take Derrick Morgan, we need pass rush help. Our only consistent sack threat is retiring.

Derrick Morgan doesn't seem to be what they like in a pass rusher, fine...take McClain. McClain and Poz on the inside the next 5 years should be a nice duo.

None of these guys interest you? Great! Take C.J. Spiller. I DARE someone who has watched this team the last 10 years to tell me this offense doesn't need a playmaker.

The Bills are going to be fine. Now, the hard part is making sure you pick the right guy.

Run a clean draft. They have done their research, ranked the players, let em pick according to their board. If some other team offers to trade up, fine, take it. Otherwise, make your picks...whoever is left that you prefer. Let the new regime build its team. No trade-ups. No-one is worth either the money or the picks it would cost. Somebody decent will fall to #9, 41 and so on. No panic on draft day, even if there is a run on OTs. Face it, this is another re-building year. you don't re-build by moving up. See Jimmy Johnson and the Cowboys when he took over.

More likely? Suh of coarse...But that's not the point...The point is if you Draft well you get 2 good Starters instead of one...Not to mention the fact that in a 3-4 Suh is probably a DE and not a NT, which is The Bills greatest Need along the D-line...

But like I said it's not about Suh...No question he's a heck of a good Prospect...For The Bills though, the only Prospect in this Draft worthy of a Trade up is Bradford...They have WAY too many needs all over the field...If the Rams wanna talk...fine...But otherwise I'd say a Trade Down is FAR more likely than a Trade up... :thumbsup:

Thoughts?

Clausen, please.

Besides, the Skins have the same main need that you claim is our biggest, they need an elite LT to protect McNabb. Why would they trade away a shot at what is now their biggest need.

Modrak has been here for 10 years with his staff of 6 scouts.

some guys have new titles, but the guts of the talent evalaution team are still the same.

In fact, Buddy was here last year wasting a top 10 pick on Maybin - keeping Bills tradition alive by ignoring the gaping hole at LT

we will see how much things change

ummmm...neither Mccoy or Suh are NT people, they are DT people, square peg into a round hole

I can not believe how many times I see people wanting suh or mccoy when they really don't fit

Run a clean draft. They have done their research, ranked the players, let em pick according to their board. If some other team offers to trade up, fine, take it. Otherwise, make your picks...whoever is left that you prefer. Let the new regime build its team. No trade-ups. No-one is worth either the money or the picks it would cost. Somebody decent will fall to #9, 41 and so on. No panic on draft day, even if there is a run on OTs. Face it, this is another re-building year. you don't re-build by moving up. See Jimmy Johnson and the Cowboys when he took over.

No doubt there is truth in what you are saying , it is just that right now we need a left tackle to run any kind of offense . Sitting at 9 might be the play in most years but if we have to send out the same type of offensive line this year we are nowhere .

No doubt there is truth in what you are saying , it is just that right now we need a left tackle to run any kind of offense . Sitting at 9 might be the play in most years but if we have to send out the same type of offensive line this year we are nowhere .

It would definitely take a 2nd rounder to do this, maybe more. I am strongly on board with acquiring Gaither for our 2nd if we can do that. He is young, and can be a near premiere Tackle in this league. Then with 9 we draft clausen, and 3rd round draft our NT. Or better yet, trade down if possible and pick up a late rd 1st and late rd 2nd, then grab Tebow or Cody, and then draft the other between QB and NT with our newly acquired 2nd. Then we are well n our way folks. 3rd rd grab an OLB or WR, then draft the other in rd 4. take another tackle in rd 5 and suddenly we have ourselves a good young team guys.

If we picked up Gaither with our second, then we could trade back and get Iupati in the teens and pick up another second somewhere. We could then get a NT in the second and maybe even Washington OT in the third. Imagine the OL then with Wood moving to centre.

Thoughts?

The Redskins need picks? We need picks, we are awful and hav holes everywhere. oh great we draft a OT at #4, pay him a ton and he's unmotivated like Fat Guy Williams. Or he's good and we have a LT with no QB. The Bills need to trade, the other direction, accumulate picks, bot give them away moving up to have to massively overpay a guy! Stay at #9 and pick Clausen or trade down and address a series of needs.

Thoughts?

I think I would take a 1 and a 2 to move from 9 to 4. there are value charts that lay it out, but moving from 9 to 4 is pretty big move

The only way I would ever trade up is if they had a shot to take the whatever QB they feel is a sure franchise QB for the next however many years. If Bradford falls, or Clausen looks like he wont be there. Those are the only reasons why I would want to trade up. And they better be in love with them to do it.

Another thing, people are sitting here talking about how the Skins now dont need a QB and will be drafting a LT. Who the hell says so? Maybe they still take Clausen out from underneath us. Its funny how most people on this board sat there and said the Bills should trade for McNabb and still draft a QB to learn for the next 2 years. How do you know the Skins, or Browns arent doing the same thing? People really annoy me sometime.

Personally, I want Tebow. Im not sure he will be there in the 2nd round because I fear the Pats will take him late first, or trade down the 1st to early 2nd, or trade 2 of their 2nds to move back up in front of us. The Pats are the team we need to worry about with Tebow. I wont get into why I like Tebow over the other QB's. Thats for another thread.

If Nix or Gailey like any one of these guys and would like them to be the QB of the future of this team, they need to do everything they can to make it happen. Move up in the 1st to get Bradford or Clausen, or even take Tebow with the #9 pick (if you cant trade down). Franchise QB's are the most importants part of your football team. The insurance is 2nd. QB first, and LT second.

The only way I would ever trade up is if they had a shot to take the whatever QB they feel is a sure franchise QB for the next however many years. If Bradford falls, or Clausen looks like he wont be there. Those are the only reasons why I would want to trade up. And they better be in love with them to do it.

Another thing, people are sitting here talking about how the Skins now dont need a QB and will be drafting a LT. Who the hell says so? Maybe they still take Clausen out from underneath us. Its funny how most people on this board sat there and said the Bills should trade for McNabb and still draft a QB to learn for the next 2 years. How do you know the Skins, or Browns arent doing the same thing? People really annoy me sometime.

Personally, I want Tebow. Im not sure he will be there in the 2nd round because I fear the Pats will take him late first, or trade down the 1st to early 2nd, or trade 2 of their 2nds to move back up in front of us. The Pats are the team we need to worry about with Tebow. I wont get into why I like Tebow over the other QB's. Thats for another thread.

If Nix or Gailey like any one of these guys and would like them to be the QB of the future of this team, they need to do everything they can to make it happen. Move up in the 1st to get Bradford or Clausen, or even take Tebow with the #9 pick (if you cant trade down). Franchise QB's are the most importants part of your football team. The insurance is 2nd. QB first, and LT second.

I really, really hope the Pats waste a second round pick on someone who won't see the field for them for 6 years.

The Bills have a bad habit of trading up and losing picks. The results from that in recent years have been so-so (Losman, Posluzny, McCargo, Levitre), but the inarguable downside is lost picks. The last time they traded down in 2001, they landed Nate Clements. Then they traded down again, landing Travis Henry and Brandon Spoon (110th overall). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2001_NFL_Draft

Clements and Henry were both very productive for their draft slots, and they also landed Schobel in the second with their own pick.

To me, that's the best of all worlds unless there is a franchise QB for the taking at #9. If the Bills are convinced that, say, Claussen is a franchise QB and he's there, they have to take him. Neither McCoy nor Tebow are going to be there at 41. If they trade from 9 to, say, 15, and get a mid-late second, they can package a 2 and a 3 or two 2s to move up to either the end of the first or near the top of the second to get Tebow/McCoy (provided they're available). The consensus now seems to be that Tebow and McCoy will both go in the first, albeit late.

I think the best strategy for the Bills would be to follow what the Jets did last year. First, build up the offensive line and give them a chance to jell. Second, trade up to get a franchise quarterback. My biggest concern is that the Bills are going to not improve the offensive line, and the Bills will be right back where they are now with Trent Edwards. They are definitely a couple of years away.

Depends on who you get at 41....Cody?...trade down further to like 51 get Joseph?...both those guys will start for a long time...

Trade up to 4 and get Okung or Bulaga...I've run the trade up threat before...

And everyone says we can't afford it...yet....I still hold WHAT WE CANNOT AFFORD IS TO MISS OKUNG OR BULAGA THIS DRAFT