'Bama LB McLain could be the Bills pick

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome! Get an ILB that doesn't rush the passer, gets washed out of plays a the college level and is a horrible arm tackler with the 9th pick!!! Just the thing Donahoe or Levy would do. :)

iceman - keep the faith buddy - but i do believe that mcclain will be a force in the nfl for years to come - he is a difference maker iceman - i know he has had some bad plays but the overall body of work projects him to be a force - not my first choice for the 1st pick but if he is the worst we do - that will be very good for us

I was thinking about the draft on the way home today. A couple of facts came to mind and I had an ah ha moment.

1. Levitre was a right and left tackle at OSU and played the last year and a half there. He is our Left tackle.

2. Suh or Cody won't be there at 9 as NT becomes our new #1 priority. So either we trade up or we bypass it thins season making the LB corps better behind that spot.

3. As far as QB goes, I suspect that Clausen and Bradford will both be gone. So that means we either trade for one or what we've got is what we've got and maybe pick a project later on.

4. Which leads me back to point #2, and unless we get a lot better at LB, the guys we have aren't going to cut it and someone like Mcclain will be our pick.

5. I suspect with Levitre going outside, guard drafting in 2nd or 3rd will happen.

Awesome! Get an ILB that doesn't rush the passer, gets washed out of plays a the college level and is a horrible arm tackler with the 9th pick!!! Just the thing Donahoe or Levy would do. :)

Isn't that what we have now??? He should fit right in.

He would instantly become the best LB on the team.

I'm a huge fan of McClain but I would like to see the Bills trade down for extra picks.

If we can get him on a trade down that would be great.

I was thinking about the draft on the way home today. A couple of facts came to mind and I had an ah ha moment.

1. Levitre was a right and left tackle at OSU and played the last year and a half there. He is our Left tackle.

2. Suh or Cody won't be there at 9 as NT becomes our new #1 priority. So either we trade up or we bypass it thins season making the LB corps better behind that spot.

3. As far as QB goes, I suspect that Clausen and Bradford will both be gone. So that means we either trade for one or what we've got is what we've got and maybe pick a project later on.

4. Which leads me back to point #2, and unless we get a lot better at LB, the guys we have aren't going to cut it and someone like Mcclain will be our pick.

5. I suspect with Levitre going outside, guard drafting in 2nd or 3rd will happen.

I keep hearing that Levitre cannot play LT, because he has the short arms and doesn't have the ideal "range" if you will to be an NFL LT. That being said, I will tell you to a man, that Levitre looked far more effective this past season when he was at LT than when he was a guard. At guard, I recall many a time when he was pushed into the backfield and planted squarely on his rump roast. But, when he was at LT, he seemed to lock it down for the most part.

I keep hearing that Levitre cannot play LT, because he has the short arms and doesn't have the ideal "range" if you will to be an NFL LT. That being said, I will tell you to a man, that Levitre looked far more effective this past season when he was at LT than when he was a guard. At guard, I recall many a time when he was pushed into the backfield and planted squarely on his rump roast. But, when he was at LT, he seemed to lock it down for the most part.

That's what got me thinking about our setup. 3 year starter at tackle in college. Looked okay at LT, with a whole off season to practice/learn. We signed a RT, set at one guard with Wood who will become our future center and okay at center with Hamgartner. Much easier to plug in a 2nd/3rd round guard to start or at worst a FA pickup. No QB's and No NT's really going to be available at 9. That leads us to either picking a LB or WR which are our next needed spots. Go guard in 2nd/3rd and maybe stretch for a QB or NT with the other hoping one develops quickly.

It is a 2 year minimum turnaround, so we can go NT/QB next season and sign a FA for the other.

agreed , I don't get all the Mcclain love on the boards

agreed , I don't get all the Mcclain love on the boards

You guys cannot be serious, right? :lol: McClain is the best ILB in this draft. No question. He's 6'4", 260lbs and lowers the boom every chance he gets. He had 105 tackles, 4 sacks, 1 FF, and 3 INT's, not to mention he was the defensive captain that made all of the calls and adjustments on the field. He was the unquestioned leader of on of the best defenses in the nation. He also put in more hours than most studying game film and working to get better. If the top 2 OT's are gone I'd take him in a heartbeat.

dont forget about the chronn's disease, could prematurely end his career or cause him to cut games or seasons short

thats not exactly something you look for in a top 10 pick

Nah, Donahoe would just bring in a bunch of big name free agents then take an arena-caliber player named Roscoe Parrish

You guys cannot be serious, right? :) McClain is the best ILB in this draft. No question. He's 6'4", 260lbs and lowers the boom every chance he gets. He had 105 tackles, 4 sacks, 1 FF, and 3 INT's, not to mention he was the defensive captain that made all of the calls and adjustments on the field. He was the unquestioned leader of on of the best defenses in the nation. He also put in more hours than most studying game film and working to get better. If the top 2 OT's are gone I'd take him in a heartbeat.

How many ilb have been picked in the top 10 in the last 10 years

Yep, there are a lot of 6'2" left tackles starting in the NFL, Andy should have no problem sliding over...

Thanks for posting that. Interesting read.

I suppose McClain could be the pick. I wouldn't hate it, but it's just that LB isn't a priority like QB and LT are. We have so many needs, it is truly maddening. McClain represents one of the best LB prospects in recent years and he definately appears to be the total package. So it would be hard to be mad if we walked away from the draft with the best LB in the draft. That said, it would be easy to be mad if we don't walk away from the draft with a QB and LT drafted in the higher rounds.

So while our defense could become fun to watch, the offense would continue to be painfully pathetic. No matter who's under center come September 2010, it won't matter if there isn't a LT keeping pass rushers at bay.

Regardless, come April the Bills will find themselves in position to come away from this draft with a good prospect at a position of need. Fortunately this is one of the deeper and more talent-filled drafts we've seen in a few years.

dont forget about the chronn's disease, could prematurely end his career or cause him to cut games or seasons short

thats not exactly something you look for in a top 10 pick

He's had it since High School. Hasn't missed any games from it so far.

I seriously doubt the Bills told anyone, much less Florence, their draft plans. And if they did, it was probably just a smoke screen.

The article doesn't say that Florence says they are planning on drafting him, just that the Bills players should be talking to him cause the Bills 3-4 defence is going to be very similar to Sabans 3-4 and since he ran/called the defence for Saban, the players should talk to him and get tips/ideas to become familiar with it.

I would be willing to bet my house on the fact that the Bills have not mentioned their draft plan with a CB on their defence, but I will say that they have already discussed with him the style of defence they will be playing

Yep, there are a lot of 6'2" left tackles starting in the NFL, Andy should have no problem sliding over...

He's 6'3" but I guess that extra inch that Peters had made a difference.

Or maybe Light in NE who is also inch taller.

I'm not sure he's the pick, but he sounds better than all that.

i hope we draft McClain or Dan Williams at 9, even if its a bit high for Williams. Are other options at that spot (Davis, Bulaga, T Williams, Clausen) all seem to have a flaw in their game. McClain and Williams are instant impact players for our defense.

He's had it since High School. Hasn't missed any games from it so far.

not yet no, but it is a PROGRESSIVE disease, so it will only get worse over time, and if we pick him at 9, thats a big risk, personally, I wouldn't be comfortable with it, but I trust Nix to make the right call so we shall see if he is as concerned as I am.

I seriously doubt the Bills told anyone, much less Florence, their draft plans. And if they did, it was probably just a smoke screen.

Yeah because we hate our corner backs and leave them in the dark about what we are going to do on defense when we want them to start learning the system.

I really do not mind Drayton for sharing this information, I do not think it gives away our defense at all.

I could see Rolando coming to Buffalo, but with Kawika, Poz, and now maybe Andra Davis on the inside.. Not sure where he fits. If we draft him, he will start though.

Yeah because we hate our corner backs and leave them in the dark about what we are going to do on defense when we want them to start learning the system.

Yes, I think they shared the information with Florence, via ESPN, that the Bills are going to a 3-4. Beyond that however, I doubt they're sharing their draft plans and specific players to fill-in the spots.

After reading all that Saban stuff, I'll go with this draft:

(I'm assuming all LT's we like are taken, Bradford and Clausen are taken)

1-Brandon Graham OLB34 Michigan---no one is better at the outside blitz--better player for 3-4 than McClain here

2-Rodger Saffold OT Indiana---the only guy he had trouble with this year was our #1 pick!

3-Cam Thomas DT34 North Carolina---Gum up the middle. Nose is important

4-Mike Neal DE34 Purdue---brute strength and quick first step, great in Shrine game

5-Pat Angerer ILB Iowa---led team in tackles, 2nd in Big10 in INT's

6-Derek Hardman OT Eastern Kentucky---46 consecutive starts at tackle (RT then LT)

6-Blair White WRF Michigan State----best in the business of sideline catches

7-Nate Byham TE Pittsburgh----all-Big East tight end last season - one scouting service had him #1TE

7-Chris Marinelli OT Stanford----his line led the Pac-10 in fewest sacks allowed, has experience at OG too