Stand in line with me, to punch NBC in the face!

Lv-Bills

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Back to the original topic about NBC's cluelessness:

From WSJ:

What do they know bout their audience anyway?

Evidently, not much. They are, after all, by far the worst network on TV. Not only the mainstream network, but all of their cable news networks too. So, I wouldn't put much stock in listening to NBC.

Olympic hockey is different than the NHL. The USA across the chest of our guys tonight, would get ratings. If figure skating was so damn popular, it would have a season and a huge TV contract just like our four major sports. But they don't, because no one would watch it outside of the Olympics.

Again, this has potential to be a huge moment for NBC. I understand going with figure skating, I really do, but I just hope this game turns out to be a classic, so NBC's gamble doesn't pay off. I don't think the US has a prayer, but I just hope it's good, so NBC misses an opportunity to grab a big audience. I hate NBC. Let me go get some eyeglasses, so I can watch this crud in non-HD.

So after all this chatter about the Evil Obama and his Dark Agent Olbermann conspiring to deprive red-blooded Americans from watching hockey on NBC's main channel, the real reason now appears to be NOT about the move to MSNBC, but a snitty tirade because DirecTV doesn't have it in high definition. Man, have some Americans become spoiled little brats.

winer winner chicken dinner

So after all this chatter about the Evil Obama and his Dark Agent Olbermann conspiring to deprive red-blooded Americans from watching hockey on NBC's main channel, the real reason now appears to be NOT about the move to MSNBC, but a snitty tirade because DirecTV doesn't have it in high definition. Man, have some Americans become spoiled little brats.

Yeah, after all, with the monthly fee to receive HD, and the money spent to buy the HD receivers, who would raise their standards to brat level and actually want to watch the game in HD? My god, how spoiled.

I'm so embarrassed.

:unsure:

LMAO, maybe this is why NBC sucks? Just a little bit? NBC Nightly News leads off with how big USA vs Canada is, and how big hockey is up there. Then, NBC runs the awesome 1980 hockey special at the end of today's NBC afternoon coverage. And then, relegate it to MSNBC. They don't even listen to themselves. What a bunch of buffoons.

And you wonder why you suck? They are actually hyping up the sport they not only carry (NHL), but then relegating it to a network largely not in HD, and on a network people have trouble finding.

Great job guys. :unsure:

Based on your first post, and it is a judgment (you asked for it). Whether or not the producers of NBC are making a bad programming call has nothing to do with politics, and any sane person here can recognize that.

Paging DC Tom...

Sorry I'm late...just catching up.

Holy !@#$ing ****. :unsure: If dwight's got a pilot's license, I recommend staying away from the Philly IRS office. On the upside, this is thread now holds the record for the most interest ever generated by an Olympic event.

Again, this has potential to be a huge moment for NBC. I understand going with figure skating, I really do, but I just hope this game turns out to be a classic, so NBC's gamble doesn't pay off. I don't think the US has a prayer, but I just hope it's good, so NBC misses an opportunity to grab a big audience. I hate NBC. Let me go get some eyeglasses, so I can watch this crud in non-HD.

You realize this is just a preliminary round game, don't you? No medals are on the line tonight, and neither team will be eliminated with a loss.

They are, after all, by far the worst network on TV. Not only the mainstream network, but all of their cable news networks too.

No doubt about that one.

Olympic hockey is different than the NHL. The USA across the chest of our guys tonight, would get ratings. If figure skating was so damn popular, it would have a season and a huge TV contract just like our four major sports. But they don't, because no one would watch it outside of the Olympics.

But that's why the skating is a big deal...cause it's only in the spotlight every 4 years, so people get into it. Same reason millions of Americans will become soccer fans for a week next summer during the World Cup after not seeing a game in the last four years.

It doesn't matter if the US wins an amazing game; NBC's decision is based on viewers and related advertising dollars. Most casual viewers tuning into the Olympics are going to stick with ice skating longer than a hockey game and that's why it gets the prime network. Meanwhile, those of us who really want to see the game are going to find it on MSNBC (or even Versus!)

The point is, it's not a bad decision by NBC and it's not something to get worked up over.

You realize this is just a preliminary round game, don't you? No medals are on the line tonight, and neither team will be eliminated with a loss.

Yeah, and it's for the #1 seed in the medal round. It's a HUGE game, and the first big game for Canada. The atmosphere is rocking and the US is already ahead.

Much more intense than anything seen thus far in any of the Olympic competition. I do realize what I'm watching is special.

Concast bought nbc. Is this another way for them to f with directv subscribers?

It sucks for those of us that have DTV. But we have no other choice to combat this problem because the NFL trumps everything and they have a monopoly on the Sunday Ticket.

Ugh. Oh well, awesome flow so far. Intense game.

It sucks for those of us that have DTV. But we have no other choice to combat this problem because the NFL trumps everything and they have a monopoly on the Sunday Ticket.

Ugh. Oh well, awesome flow so far. Intense game.

If it were directvs fault I would be done. But I blame it on comcast and I am being patient for now.

Maybe it just comes down to the fact that there are no commercial breaks
QFT. And let's give credit where it's due - I've watched plenty of Olympic Hockey where they take commercial breaks while play is going on, because there are no commercial timeouts. At least they're showing all of this game, so far no commercials during the 1st period.

I didn't know Lindy was an Asst. coach for Canada. Hoser.

Great first period, but damn Canada looks good. Miller is keeping the US in this game, but even he can't keep that up all night if they let Canada get 18 shots a period.

Duh. So DTV doesn't have MSNBC in HD? I'd say that DTV's fault. Chalk one up for cable.

I have had Comcast and the problems/issues/omissions are enormous. Also at times subscribing to Time Warner, Charter, and Adelphia, Directv is by far superior in every way, except they dont get MSNBC, a station I never thought I would have to watch.

And I wouldnt be surprised if Comcast is behind holding the HD signal back from being carried on Directv.

Yeah, long owned by RCA and later GE, two of the top defense contractors for generations. You can't get much more leftist than that!

BTW, by the classic, 18th century definitions of liberal and conservative, the Founders and their supporters were liberal radicals and the US continues to be, by definition, a liberal democracy. A conservative (aka, Tory) believed/believes in the primacy of a king, the Church and the aristocracy, where all know "their place" and remain in that class for all time. A liberal was a child of the enlightenment who believed in a human-centric society, based on reason and science, and therefore opposed to "the superstition of organized religions." Read the Declaration of Independence, the Federalist Papers and The Constitution of the United States. These are the primary documents of the first secular humanist form of government and so US remains, thought the so-called "conservatives" (who are really more like totalitarians) continue to do all in their power to turn back the clock and to undermine the secular, liberal, humanist experiment that is the United States of America.

+1

And oh my what this thread has turned in to. I swear to god, I just wanted to punch an NBC exec in the face, not to turn this into a moronic political discussion.

Seriously, doesn't just one person want to punch someone at NBC in the face cuz of this? Just one of you spazzes out there? lol

NBC is so out of touch. I love Costas and Michaels and that chick who commentates the womens downhill, but they NEVER have any data on the TV like a banner that runs constantly (a la pardon the interruption style) letting you know WHO is competing, when, where, etc.

Specify whether its a prelim run or a first heat/ semifinal etc. DUH

Show ALL the time differentials from the leaders when they do the runs, not just the person in first place. (like if our skiier is going last, what time do they need to beat to get a bronze and silver medal, not just gold DUH.....)

Put it this way, without a well designed banner constantly running, you are pretty much in the dark at least half the time. You can use your laptop to get the information but only on the live stuff otherwise you know the results before they air.

Whistler is an amazingly beautiful place and so is the olympic village, but Vancouver and NBC are really sucking.

I blame Bush

:unsure:

Exactly. As much as I would love to bash NBC on this, this game is just a preliminary battle, and skating is probably the most popular event for viewers. If it were a medal round, I would join you in bashing these clueless bastards. (Oh wait, did I just do that?)

Yeah, long owned by RCA and later GE, two of the top defense contractors for generations. You can't get much more leftist than that!

BTW, by the classic, 18th century definitions of liberal and conservative, the Founders and their supporters were liberal radicals and the US continues to be, by definition, a liberal democracy. A conservative (aka, Tory) believed/believes in the primacy of a king, the Church and the aristocracy, where all know "their place" and remain in that class for all time. A liberal was a child of the enlightenment who believed in a human-centric society, based on reason and science, and therefore opposed to "the superstition of organized religions." Read the Declaration of Independence, the Federalist Papers and The Constitution of the United States. These are the primary documents of the first secular humanist form of government and so US remains, thought the so-called "conservatives" (who are really more like totalitarians) continue to do all in their power to turn back the clock and to undermine the secular, liberal, humanist experiment that is the United States of America.

huh?.. do you think maybe you have too much time on your hands?.. just a question now.. not a political opinion..

I thought Pelosi was considered "Children of the Corn"

and your point is what? just because its not a medal game means it cant be a good game or we shouldnt want to watch it

I thought Pelosi was considered "Children of the Corn"

LOL

Nancy came along after that point in time when liberals decided that "enlightenment" should mean creation of a huge bureaucracy whose primary purpose is promotion and expansion of itself.