Are we sure Bell can't be a good OLT?

BobChalmers

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wasn't he essentially hurt most of the year?

Didn't he look pretty solid in his limited action while he was healthy?

I'm interested in hearing what I missed watching the games - I don't remember ever being very upset with what I saw from him, but maybe I've forgotten.

It just seems like so much of the screaming about the state of our offensive line was ignoring the fact that 3/5 starters were out much of the year.

Please - tell me which games I should look back at - I have them recorded - to find where Bell sucks - particularly for a guy coming in with so little experience and room to continue developing physically.

Yes, I'm sure...Everywhere like such as...WAR Miss Teen South Carolina!

Whether or not Bell can be a good OLT or ORT is irrelevant. We do not have enough talented OTs on this roster. If Bell can beat out Rookie, Meredith, FA and whomever else they have....then he's good enough. You can't just hand it to him like they did in '09 though. That was the cruelest joke of '09.

Dude, Roseanne Barr could beat out Yoko Ono in a singing contest, but that doesn't make her an opera star.

Anyone who thinks DJ made the call on releasing Walker is entirely too naive. That decision was made on-high once it was clear he was too fat and slow. I'd say it was more people like Overdorf who figured they could score some points by saving money with that contract.

The decision makers at certain levels are still there at OBD. I'm not saying Walker was a top OT, but teams have enough positions of need each season. They shouldn't be creating any more, but the Bills have made a habit of this since Dick Levy took over. Let a player go in UFA or trade and then attempt to draft their replacement. Four years later it's rebuilding time again.

You are confusing an out and out guess with a fact.

I don't think anyone can tell much about him from his time so far. He didn't play much his first season and last year he suffered a back injury that I believe hurt him whenever he played.

The question to me is if he can stay healthy. If he can he has some potential. LT? Maybe not but with Butler retiring he may be worked in at RT with the possibility of swinging to LT at a later time. The Bills need depth at both tackle positions so they need to get at least one more stud tackle. Let Bell compete and the best two start. JMO

That strategy works in two cases. Number one, you should get Bill Polian as your GM. Number two, you should have an extremely stable line that has worked together for years and thus can allow one guy to come in with a minimum of disruption. How do you figure either one of those will work out for the Bills?

Matt Light, the Pats* LT was a second-rounder, and again moved into a very stable solid, savvy OL.

McNeill, the Chargers LT was also a second-rounder and also moved into a very stable solid veteran OL.

We don't have anything like a veteran stable o-line, just the opposite in fact.

Well said. Add to it that each of those teams give their mid-round lineman time on the bench to learn a system and then join a stable group.

We have holes at LT and RT. We need to draft a top OT prospect that has a chance to contribute now. We also need one verteran OT on the roster that can actually play this game, and I am not talking about Jonathan Scott.

Meredith and Bell are projects that should not be counted on as starters. If they develop that is great but we saw nothing last year to indicate that either is ready to be a top flight starting caliber OT in this league.

Well said. Add to it that each of those teams give their mid-round lineman time on the bench to learn a system and then join a stable group.

We have holes at LT and RT. We need to draft a top OT prospect that has a chance to contribute now. We also need one verteran OT on the roster that can actually play this game, and I am not talking about Jonathan Scott.

Meredith and Bell are projects that should not be counted on as starters. If they develop that is great but we saw nothing last year to indicate that either is ready to be a top flight starting caliber OT in this league.

There's a different article about him at RF365. To bad the writer is stoned if he thinks Bell will ever be any good.

http://www.realfootball365.com/articles/bills/14777

This is the reason I really, really, really want to see Bell do well for Buffalo. (Other than filling a much needed position)

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=hill/080507

Malone reportedly impregnated Bell's mother when she was 13 and he was a sophomore at Louisiana Tech

It would be one thing if Malone was unable to financially provide for his son, but he made more than $100 million during his NBA career. The Salt Lake (Utah) Tribune reported that when Bell's grandparents initially took Malone to court for paternity in 1986, his second year with the Jazz, they requested Malone pay $200 a week. Malone didn't respond to the suit, but a Louisiana judge ruled he was Bell's father -- after a paternity test showed that was indeed accurate -- and ordered Malone to pay $125 a week, plus past and future medical expenses. Malone claimed that was too much and later reached a confidential out-of-court settlement with Bell's family between 1988 and 1989.

A decade ago, Malone and his wife -- with whom he has fathered four children -- spoke at a conference on families and talked openly about the children Malone has fathered outside of their marriage.

Of course, the Malones were talking about Daryl and Cheryl, not Demetrius.

Malone told the audience: "Everything I've been through, everything I'm about to go through in my career and my life, if my family wasn't with me and didn't support me, it would be really tough."

:)

Bell's mother asked for $10, 400 per year and Malone thought that was too high?! He wanted to pay $6,500 per year.

When the Bills go to the SB I want Bell to be their starting LT so this story will get worldwide attention and embarrass the :thumbsup: out of Malone.

I will laugh my ass off when 100 or more news outlets want to talk to Malone. :thumbsup:

I'm interested in hearing what I missed watching the games - I don't remember ever being very upset with what I saw from him, but maybe I've forgotten.

It just seems like so much of the screaming about the state of our offensive line was ignoring the fact that 3/5 starters were out much of the year.

Please - tell me which games I should look back at - I have them recorded - to find where Bell sucks - particularly for a guy coming in with so little experience and room to continue developing physically.

I remember watching Bell in training camp. Even no-name DL's were beating him badly. They were all lining up just to go against him. I think that I have some video of some of these practices. Bell is in there somewhere.

They need to reload talent at the OT positions, that much is patently obvious. Counting on scrubs to "switch the light on" and excel despite all evidence to the contrary is just fool's hope.

You hit it right on the head we need two more good Offensive lineman at least one of whom can play LT. It really does not matter if Bell could eventually become a starting LT or not. If that does not happen we won't have enough minimal blocking to get the offense to function at all.

Maybe the Bills need to take another look at Joel Bell who signed with the Rough Riders of the CFL after he was cut in training camp last year. Bell had an outstanding year with them and played in the Grey Cup game. He is huge, fast and smart.

• 3 weeks later...
Year 1 was 2008. The NFL is a "what have you done lately for me" league. Two years into a pro career and I expect a guy not to be one of the most heavily penalized players in the AFCE.

The LT position is too critical to the overall success of the entire offense for bargain bin type players. Bell is a wonderful story, and it's changed my take on his father, but hoping and wishing players succeed has left the Bills 0-4 in playoff appearances since 2006/

Sorry to be pedantic but logically speaking someone HAS to be the most penalised in the AFCE. :worthy:

YES. I am sure that he can't become a good, much less average, LT in the 2010 and possibly the 2011 seasons. That being said there is no guarantee that this guy will even still be in the NFL in 2011 or 2012. We were so incredibly spoiled by Jason Peters rise from TE to probowl LT that we think we can take any guy and do the same. Peter's was an incredible rarity. We can't keep trying to polish turds into diamonds. It works once in a blue moon.

I for one like Bell... He has a ton of upside.. If we recall, Peters took some time before he was ready.. I think Bell was asked to start a year ahead of when he was ready... This upcoming season, look for him to win that spot.. I am liking the Oline potential. I'd like to see Incognito resigned and at LG, Wood back at Center, Butler to RG, Bell at LT and bring someone in to fight with Levitre for RT.... Butler and Levitre could ultimately switch..... I think they were all too young last year.. They will ALL improve...

Seeing as Butler is retired , Incognito signed with the fins, & Hangartner has a multi year deal & was one of only two of our lineman to stay healthy last year , & the only one to play the same position all year kind of puts the KIBOSH to what your future hopes for our OL &&&& you need to read more about the team so you know about stuff like Butler & Incognito :worthy: I like the KIBOSH thing (is that a first for the stadium wall HMMM i wonder ???) :flirt:

You hit it right on the head we need two more good Offensive lineman at least one of whom can play LT. It really does not matter if Bell could eventually become a starting LT or not. If that does not happen we won't have enough minimal blocking to get the offense to function at all.

Agreed. Dismiss posters who automatically state the guy's no good or will never excel. They know practically nothing about football. I certainly do not know enough about a LT prospect to make any reliable judgement. The guy showed some good things last year. Moved well, blocked well upfield, but did have some strength and durability concerns. So don't give up on him but don't avoid getting some talent at tackle based on expectations of DBell flicking the switch this year. We need depth and talent on the Oline and he can be part of that.

Seeing as Butler is retired , Incognito signed with the fins, & Hangartner has a multi year deal & was one of only two of our lineman to stay healthy last year , & the only one to play the same position all year kind of puts the KIBOSH to what your future hopes for our OL &&&& you need to read more about the team so you know about stuff like Butler & Incognito :worthy: I like the KIBOSH thing (is that a first for the stadium wall HMMM i wonder ???) :flirt:

Hold on there buddy. The guy posted that a month ago, before Cogs signed with the Fins and I think before Butler announced his retirement. Unless he's Nostradamus I think he was right in posting that then. No need to berate him for not seeing the future in mid-February before FA started.

If your question is should the Bills pass on a top LT prospect because Bell has physical talent, the answer is no. If Bell evolves into a quality player then it is much better to have two players capable of playing well at LT than none. None is a huge problem.

If your question is should the Bills pass on a top LT prospect because Bell has physical talent, the answer is no. If Bell evolves into a quality player then it is much better to have two players capable of playing well at LT than none. None is a huge problem.

:worthy:

He was a project player who got thrown in before he was ready. There's no guarantee he'll develop into a strong starting tackle, but there's no reason to assume he can't either.

The people who get off on saying he sucks are telling you more about themselves than they are about him.

How long can people talk about a guy have potential? At some point, the player has to live up to it or he doesn't. The guy was a developmental player to begin with. It's been two seasons now, and some are talking as if he's close to being very good.

NFL players typically make their biggest leap from year 1 to year 2. I didn't see much from him last year that signaled he was coming of age. When you can't remember the snap count in your home stadium by your second year, that's not good.

I don't know how you can say you didn't see much from him. You saw a lot because his first year was on the practice squad and you didn't see him at all. He made too many mental mistakes, but not necessarily a lot of physical ones. Meaning he wasn't consistently overmatched physically. And he was injured much of the year. He could be wind up being very good. Just make him compete with someone and beat him out for the spot. If they draft a LT he could wind up being the RT or the guy they draft, if it's not Okung or Bulaga could be the RT. Truth is, for a guy who's only played four or five years of football in his life, Bell didn't do that badly. Folks need to remember the Bills are a very young team. Because they haven't won doesn't mean they don't have any players. Young players can improve. They see the game better, they get stronger, they start to stand out and make a difference.

Maybe you were watching the wrong game. From what I saw he was consistently dreadful. To put it simply-he was overmatched and had no business being on the field.

I'm not saying he can't be developed into a decent player; assuming that he can be developed (major assumption) he still has a long way to go to be a credible player who can be relied on.

I think the implication of the question is wrong- It's not that we know Bell can't be good, it's that we don't know for a certainty that he will be good- I like Bell, Woods, and Jamon Meredith but I don't know for a certainty than any will be a quality NFL player- the OL is the most important unit in football and unless you have established players you have to give yourself multiple chances to succeed - if I were the Bills I'd take 2 OL in the first three rounds and maybe 3 in the first 5 rounds.

To me Bell didn't seem to be that bad and it wasn't until he was hurt and our starting tackles were Scott and Chambers that our pass protection really went to crap. I still think he may have a future as a decent tackle.

Just to repeat, since this stuff gets lost in long threads ...

Bell was the single worst tackle (the site ranks right and left tackles together) in the league, according to profootballfocus.com, when he was put on I.R. And the second-worst guy was far, far better. It is a cumulative site, adding points for good games and subtracting points for bad games. When Bell stopped playing, he was still the worst for another three weeks or so before some other bad tackles caught up to him.

Bell only played in eight games, so he only had half the chance to rack up negative points that the other tackles in the league had, yet at the end of the year he was still 74th out of 77. And two of those guys just managed to squeak past him in the last week. On that site, zero is average. Bell's total was minus 26.4, and two guys tied for 75th at minus 27. The guy in last place, Mario Henderson of Oakland, had a final score of minus 38.9, far outpointing all other tackles.

But ... Mario Henderson played in all sixteen games. Bell only played in eight. So actually, in terms of who got the most negative points per game (an excellent functional measurement of pure badness), Demetrius Bell was far and away the worst tackle in the league.

http://profootballfocus.com/by_position.ph...&numgames=1

Bell was the single worst tackle (the site ranks right and left tackles together) in the league, according to profootballfocus.com, when he was put on I.R. And the second-worst guy was far, far better. It is a cumulative site, adding points for good games and subtracting points for bad games. When Bell stopped playing, he was still the worst for another three weeks or so before some other bad tackles caught up to him.

Bell only played in eight games, so he only had half the chance to rack up negative points that the other tackles in the league had, yet at the end of the year he was still 74th out of 77. And two of those guys just managed to squeak past him in the last week. On that site, zero is average. Bell's total was minus 26.4, and two guys tied for 75th at minus 27. The guy in last place, Mario Henderson of Oakland, had a final score of minus 38.9, far outpointing all other tackles.

But ... Mario Henderson played in all sixteen games. Bell only played in eight. So actually, in terms of who got the most negative points per game (an excellent functional measurement of pure badness), Demetrius Bell was far and away the worst tackle in the league.

True but if you look at all the positions you'll find we sucked across the board- Bell ranked 74 , so did Levitre, Wood wasn't much better at 65- Hangartner is at the bottom of his position too. So you should agree with me that we need to draft at least 3 OL with ourfirst 5 picks

Looks to me like other than a horrible game against Cleveland, he was improving. That can happen when you have a young player who is thrust into the lineup. To think that last year's effort seals him into the worst tackle ever category is a bit short sighted.

Did he play much after the no huddle was scrapped? If so i'd be curious if there was a difference in his penalties.

No huddle... thanks for reminding me. How drunk were they when they were sitting around thinking... Payton manning does it, Kelly did, why can't Trent? It sounds as crazy today as it did when they rolled it out. Do you think it was Rlaphs idea?

Harry Stuhldreher and the 4-horsmen had a heluva season in '25. I think they went no huddle... Lets give it a go...

HAHA, THAT IS AWESOME! That made me laugh out loud, very loud.

Anyways...I like Bell, except for his lack of concentration, or complete stupidity, with all those false start penalties. I have said MANY MANY times here, I think we already have an average to good offensive line. Sure it is nothing great, no pro-bowlers...yet. That's the thing, they are so young that they have so much time to grow together and become a whole that works together. I am hoping that the new staff thinks this so we can spend our #9 overall pick on something else.

Our interior is set...Levitre - Hangartner - Wood (or) Levitre - Wood - Incognito (my favorite!)...

Then we have Bell, Meredith, Watkins, Butler...to find bookend tackles.

If we go with the first choice...Levitre - Hangartner - Wood...Richie Incognito has and could play LT, or even RT. He was a 1st Team All Big-12 left tackle during is Sophomore year of college, @ Nebraska none the less. He was also shifted to center, but was suspended before he played the position. However, it goes to show that that staff, a very good college program, thought he was good enough to play center. So, we COULD have...Levitre - Incognito - Wood...which I don't mind.

Then all we have to do is find tackles out of...Bell, Meredith, Watkins (my darkhorse) and Butler.

My suggestions -

Bell/Watkins - Levitre - Wood - Incognito - Meredith/Butler

Bell/Watkins/Meredith - Levitre - Hangartner - Wood - Incognito/Butler

Levitre - Wood - Incognito - Butler/Hangartner - Bell/Meredith/Watkins

*Then again, IF we get Vick or draft Tebow...won't RIGHT tackle be our worry then? (OR ANY LEFTY QB for that matter?)

Unfortunately Butler retired. I think this could be a big blow to the staus of the line next year.

the jury is still out on Bell. I think he can be good. The coaching staff saw something in Peters, and they were pretty right on him.

bell also played MUCH better after the no huddle was scrapped. it just wasn't enough time bc he was hurt soon after. But most of his penalties were racked up during the no huddle 4 week era.