Care to offer your opinion on Edwards as QB next year

Beerball

Let Trent Edwards compete for his position like everyone else. Why are people so afraid of that?

Because he sucks and the more reps we give to the bum the more quality reps taken from the guy that should be our starter (note: who isn't on our roster yet). The guy suck, seen enough of him, time to move on.

Right now I could care less. Until we have a quarterback brought in worth a damn at the position, or someone with at least potential to be a franchise qb, Edwards is still probably our safest bet. I think the guy is scared of his shadow. Partly due to the coaching he received from the Jauron regime, and partly because of the oline/injuries/and his overall incompetence. Currently though he's the best of a horrible group of qb's.

I'm not optimistic, even if its only between Brohm, Fitz and TE that TE would be our qb. That being said none of them will do anything with our existing offensive line. I'd give TE a chance to perform this year with a line which includes our number one draft choice a free agent or two and Wood and Levitre/Icognito. For TE its put up or shut up (or go away) time.

I trust that the current coaching staff is evaluating EVERY player on this roster and looking to determine if 1) We keep Them, 2) We do not want them however they have trade value 3)We dont need them and dont think we can get a 7th rounder for them so we cut them. I have no idea were Trent fits in but I think likely answer is 2 or 3

You know...I'm kind of ok with it.

On condition we acquire one of the 4 star UFA or RFA's available at LT. Condition 2 - all of a sudden we are shallow at RB with Marshawn a question mark - have to consider a strong bu at RB.

Give TE a shot with a high performing OL/running game. Put any qb in with our recent OL's/running game..they'd suck.

I'd rather give Trent a shot with a competent offensive line than giving up valuable early round draft picks for lousy aging FA quarterbacks that have proven they are either near the end of their careers (ie McNabb) or QB's that have shown they suck (ie . Campbell, Thigpen, Brady, Anderson etc.).

I'd rather concentrate our efforts on the offensive and defensive lines and let Trent or Brohm see if they can lead this team and draft Lafavour, Tebow or Pike in rounds 3 or 4 to groom.

Because he sucks and the more reps we give to the bum the more quality reps taken from the guy that should be our starter (note: who isn't on our roster yet). The guy suck, seen enough of him, time to move on.

You are going to be a very irate hombre when this team drafts an OT or D-lineman with their first pick, especially if Clausen or Bradford are still on the board. I know you don't want to hear it but Nix is a bread and butter type of person. He is not going for the glitz; he is going for the trenches. Prepare yourself for the inevitable. :rolleyes:

The reality is that he has to be considered for the starting role as he remains under contract. This is not any different than any other QB under contract should be considered along with FA's and potential draft additions. He is by no means a lock and to Sully's point based on last season's effort is not at the top of the list absent significant improvement under the new regime.

You are going to be a very irate hombre when this team drafts an OT or D-lineman with their first pick, especially if Clausen or Bradford are still on the board. I know you don't want to hear it but Nix is a bread and butter type of person. He is not going for the glitz; he is going for the trenches. Prepare yourself for the inevitable. :rolleyes:

Is that why Nix drafted Manning and then traded him for Rivers? Yeah I am pretty sure he was working that draft. And you are right he is a bread and butter person, he understands this is a QUARTERBACK Driven league and you can't succeed without getting a really good to great one.

If Trent is the QB next year it's likely to end up like 2001 when Rob Johnson was the starter, got injured in November & never played another down in a Bills uniform. That's what happens when you pick a guy & ignore his history of being injury prone. There is one scenario where they won't have much of choice other than the 4 guys currently on the roster: Say Bradford & Clausen are off the board at #9, or the Bills don't like either one and don't feel that the other QBs in this year's draft can be a future starter. Then, other than a trade for a veteran, the team is stuck with the players they currently have. So, like 2001 it could be Edwards in the Johnson spot, Fitzpatrick in the Van Pelt spot, finishing up the season again and Brohm in the Travis Brown spot, getting into the final game after Fitzpatrick goes down.

The not adding a QB might be the best answer, although fans may not like it. For years the Bills have been overdrafting players to fill perceived areas of need without regard to better players who would be long term answers at other positions. Then they don't get the right guy they could have got if they waited a year & didn't reach the prior year. In 2004 they traded up for Losman instead of not getting the QB of the future after Roethlisberger went off the board. The following year Aaron Rodgers was available where the Bills would have picked if the pick wasn't in Dallas. The Bills took Lynch after trading McGahee, once again reaching (because the character issue was out there) instead of taking the best player. So they pass on Revis in 2007 then have to pick McKelvin to fill their CB needs in 2008, when the RB group was much stronger. Well next year's QB crop may be much better than this year & there's no reason to draft a QB just to draft one unless their scouts are in agreement he can be a franchise guy. If we're just drafting another potential backup in the 3rd or 4th, we might as well just go with one of the 4 backups currently on the roster.

Is that why Nix drafted Manning and then traded him for Rivers? Yeah I am pretty sure he was working that draft. And you are right he is a bread and butter person, he understands this is a QUARTERBACK Driven league and you can't succeed without getting a really good to great one.

The reason that AJ Smith drafted Manning & then traded him for Rivers is because SD knew the Giants were willing to give them a ton more than they could get by not drafting Manning. If they didn't have the trade close before they picked, they would have just taken Rivers. They were going Rivers all along (not sure if it was Nix or Smith who made the Rivers call, but SD liked Rivers) but AJ as GM was able to get their man & get picks from the NYG. Since they weren't sold on Brees, they went QB because they knew that if you don't think you have a franchise QB & you think one is out there when you're drafting, you better draft him. All the winning organizations know this. They also know that if you don't succeed in prior attempts, you don't give up. SD was burned by Leaf, but didn't stop trying to get the franchise QB.

Let Trent Edwards compete for his position like everyone else. Why are people so afraid of that?

Not afraid of him at all. I would just rather not waste a roster spot on this nutless piece of ****, that doesn't care about this football team. That's all.

It would be incorrect to ever assume me, or anybody else for that matter, is afraid of Trent Edwards.

John Butler and A.J. Smith were making the picks. Buddy Nix was a central scout but he didn't make the picks. No one doubts that this is a qb driven league. That is stating the obvious. Even you will have to acknowledge that the Bills are multiple years away from being a serious playoff contending team. Until the foundation is established no qb has a chance of succeeding.

As I stated before if Nix and his crew decide that the qb on the board is rated at a level commensurate where they are drafting then I have no problem with a qb being selected with the first pick. In my opinion Nix is going to going to bulk up the roster, starting with the lines.

We now have seen two posters call Trent out over saying he's not a fan in spite of the fact that they have no friggin clue what he said. If you had heard the words, you would know that Trent said them in the context that he's a player, not a fan. It's that simple. No different than if you said "I'm not a Bills' player, I'm a Bills' fan." Or the time Marv said when you start listening to the fans you end up in the stands with them.

If you want to knock Trent for his on field play, that's fine. You don't need to twist the meaning of his words around just to fit your agenda. You either didn't hear what he said or have major comprehension problems when you hear people speak. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you didn't hear them & you're just parroting something that some idiot on WGR said.

Guest dog14787
We now have seen two posters call Trent out over saying he's not a fan in spite of the fact that they have no friggin clue what he said. If you had heard the words, you would know that Trent said them in the context that he's a player, not a fan. It's that simple. No different than if you said "I'm not a Bills' player, I'm a Bills' fan." Or the time Marv said when you start listening to the fans you end up in the stands with them.

If you want to knock Trent for his on field play, that's fine. You don't need to twist the meaning of his words around just to fit your agenda. You either didn't hear what he said or have major comprehension problems when you hear people speak. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you didn't hear them & you're just parroting something that some idiot on WGR said.

Amen to that Albany

I am an optimist but there are some I would not count Trent Edwards out at all. He's mobile, moderate arm strength, but all and all he makes decent decisions. His biggest problem is timing and injury problems, which a good offensive staff can work with. Obviously a good offensive line is the most important. He is very accurate for his career; over 60%, check down or not, its not easy to be this accurate in the NFL. With one year left on his contract he deserves a chance to prove himself. San Diego had given up on Drew Brees and his numbers until his last 2 years in San Diego were no better than Trent's. The last thing I'd like to see is Trent Edwards go to a team and make an impact after we gave up on him, aka Pat Williams, Greer, Winfield, Clements, Hargrove, Leonard, Bannan, etc. We can still draft another QB or bring someone else in to compete. Trent actually seemed to play better when he had JP Losman to compete with.

First 3 years in the league.

Trent Edwards, 32 Games, 61% Completion %, 24 TD's to 25 Int, 77.9 Rating (games played each year 10, 14, 8)

Drew Brees, 28 Games, Approx 58% Completion %, 28 TD's to 31 Int, Approx 70 Rating. (games played each year 1, 16, 11)

in my opinion trents problem is that he doesn't recognize where the blitz is coming from. he doesn't make adjustments in WR route running or protection. This leads to him checking down alot and getting hurt because he doesn't see where the pain is coming from. The best QB's in the league Manning, Brees, Brady are excellent at doing this.

I think this is somethign that someone can learn. the former coaching staff was terrible. Everyone knows this. AVP was never a real starter in the league. I am not a big fan of crappy players being coaches.

If Coach Gailey decides Trent should start then i am ok with it. I have been waiting since the day Jauron was hired to see a different coaching staff.

I am skeptical that Edwards can still do it. But I'm not the head coach...and neither are any of you. All I can do is hope Chan Gailey knows what he's doing if he makes Edwards the starter again. I'm not convinced Edwards is seriously being considered. He may be just one option of several at this point.

PTR

Because he's a fragile check-down QB with questionable desire. Not to mention the whole Dakota Fanning thing.

Exactly - not to mention the whole noodle-armed, inaccuracy thing...

Link - Trent Edwards Arm

In all honesty, I'd rather the Bills jettison Edwards before giving him this season's playbook. If he latches on w/another team, good luck to him - he still won't last a full season w/out injury, no matter what line protects him.

I'd disagree with you on that point. I think backups make good coaches as they spend much more time on the sideline talking to the coaches. Starters often have everything come to them too easily to understand what someone who is struggling is going through.

That being said, I think AVP problem was thrown in as OC a week before season started, compounding that with all of his training as a coach was under a weak staff to start with. If he had stayed as QB coach a couple more years with a good OC, he likely would have been fine. Wil lbe interesting to see how he does next year.

AVP was never a real starter in the league. I am not a big fan of crappy players being coaches.